Her One Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2019

This was a quick enjoyable read with some surprising twists and turns.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader’s copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
When I first started reading I thought this was going to be another one of those “girl” books.  You know what I mean.  Boy was I glad I was wrong.  This is about two moms, their friendship, their lies and what could have happened when a child goes missing,  About half way through the twist happens and it’s a great twist.  I didn’t see it coming and neither will you.  The emotions emitted from these 2 moms is amazing,  I felt like I was there with them, my heart breaking as each day dragged on and no one could find the little 4 year old girl, who simply vanished one day.  This author truly writes from the heart.  Just read it already!
Heidi Perks kept me on my toes and racing to turn the page with her latest release Her One Mistake. Every parent's nightmare is the thought of someone taking your child but when it happens when you leave them with a trusted friend it adds a new layer of guilt. A cast of characters that will have you cheering for , crying, and hating them all at different times makes for a book that you will continue to think about days after you read it. When you buy this book buy two copies and make another domestic thriller fan happy!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!  It kept me guessing from start to finish and I can't remember the last book that did that.  I was often on the edge of my seat and couldn't put it down.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.  It is a captivating read.
Wow. Just wow. I have to stop reading these child abduction books because this one will be the one to beat. It is told from the perspective of two narrators and flashes from past to present. The writing handles these shifts seamlessly.

I’m not sure what’s harder to live with? Losing someone’s child or having your child go missing? I can’t imagine having to live through either one. Either way your life is destroyed and that is clear to see in this story.

There were many twists and turns in this story. It has a satisfying conclusion that fits the story but still left me a bit sad. I would recommend this one.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books for a copy in exchange for a review.
Her One Mistake was a crafty thriller, altrernating viewpoints of the two main characters.  One of the things I liked about this book, was there was lots of why behind motives making it a lot easier to relate to the characters.  Many times I found myself wondering what would I do in these situations. I highly recommend Her One Mistake.
What a great ride! When you think you have all of the characters figured out Perks throws in yet another twist.
Great book - I enjoyed it throughout the entire read!
I greatly enjoyed this novel. It started out as a kidnapping and became something much more. The plot was interesting and intense. Harriet seemed a weak & ineffectual woman with no backbone. Her husband Brian doted on her and took care of her needs. He also dominated her. She didn’t have a mind of her own because that was what Brian wanted. She desperately hung on to her daughter in a way that seemed unhealthy. The reader then learns that Harriet’s mom clung to her daughter relentlessly. Then Harriet’s behavior makes a lot more sense. Harriet married a man who treats her (on the surface) like her mother treated Harriet. Toward the middle of the novel, Brian’s character became clear. It became clear to Harriet that the things he said Harriet did were not things she recalled ever doing. So she began to keep a log of her thoughts and actions, and began to realize Brian was up to something. I didn’t like how Harriet used her friend Charlotte as part of her plan to escape from Brian, without Charlotte’s knowledge or permission, but I understood why Harriet did what she did. I believe Charlotte forgave her in the end.
I didn’t like some parts of the ending, and other parts I liked a lot.. That’s all I can say without divulging the ending. This was a terrific novel with surprising twists. I recommend it to readers of suspense, psychological drama, and women’s fiction.
Thank you, Simon & Schuster and Net Galley for the opportunity to read and review this novel.
Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks is a thriller full of surprises and twists. Brian and Harriet have a daughter named Alice. While neighbor, Charlotte, was watching their daughter, someone abducted the girl. Charlotte feels very guilty. Brian blames his wife for letting someone else watch Alice. The book is about the search for Alice and the relationship between the couple regarding their child. Good plot with some twists. Thank you to Net Galley for allowing me an advanced reader’s copy to review.
Manipulation.  Lies. Deceipt. Twists. Abuse. This book has it all. I was engrossed from page 1 til the end. This book is a well written,  page turner, that you don't want to miss! I give it 5 well deserved stars!
The book was very good. I could not put down!! Had me at the edge of my seat! I did not see the ending at all.
I enjoyed this book and finished it in 2 days. I liked the characters and the story had enough twists that it made it different from other missing kids books that are out now. I will definitely look for more from this author as the story kept me guessing until the end.
Her One Mistake was leaving her daughter with her best friend, Charlotte.

Harriet and Brian have one four-year-old daughter named Alice. As Harriet is a stay-at-home mom, Alice has never been away from Harriet’s side. However, Harriet’s family is struggling to make ends meet. Harriet decides to take a bookkeeping class one Saturday when her husband is fishing. She asks her best, and only, friend Charlotte to watch Alice for the day. Charlotte is planning to take her three kids to the church fair anyway so she is happy to oblige and take Alice too. However, an unthinkable thing happens at the fair and Alice disappears.

The action and twists don’t stop in Her One Mistake. It is an interesting blend of two types of thrillers but saying which two would spoil one of the excellent surprises in the book. 4 stars!

Thanks to Gallery Books for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is an intense story of lies, betrayal, grief and control. It encompasses so much more too. This book had me captured in the first chapter. Charlotte is watching Harriets' daughter for the first time when the child, Alice, goes missing. There is so much guilt and fear. This book has a complex set of characters. Some you will not like, but they are so realistic. What is truly going on? This is what you will be asking yourself. Filled with twists and turns, this is psychological suspense at its finest. Extremely well written, this book takes you on a journey into the life of someone who is psychologically abused. What happens next is unbelievable and yet understandable. This is an absolute must read! You will not be able to put this book down! I can't wait for the next book from this amazing storyteller. Grab this one! Fantastic read!
Thank you to NetGalley and Gallery books for allowing me the chance to read this book. All opinions are my own.
Read this book!
Although I received an electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, all opinions remain my own.

This one had me guessing until the end. I thought I might know what was going to happen and then there was a plot twist. It wasn't so twisted as to be unbelievable though. The characters are definitely ones you can relate with. You can see yourself sitting down and having coffee with Charlotte. I wonder what I would have done if a child had gone missing on my watch. Could a child go missing on my watch? Makes you wonder for sure! This is a real-world type situation, something we see every day when we are out and about: parents on their phones when the kids play. Easy enough for some creeper to grab a child when no one is looking. Easier even when the child isn't outspoken.

This one was a page turner and had me book-zombied a few mornings after reading it. Didn't want to put it down and kept telling myself "just one more chapter" wasn't working anymore.
This was a psychological thriller that really dug deeply into the emotional aspects; gaslighting, confusion and mind games  had someone doubting their sanity. Highly recommend this devious plotting. It’s a wicked read!
Wow! I was pulled in to this book immediately. Every mother's nightmare! I could feel the tension and suspicion so vividly. This book was one I did not want to put down until the end. I will definitely be recommending this book. I received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
Thank you to Netgalley and Gallery Books for this ARC of Her One Mistake.

This book was intense! My heart was literally breaking for both Charlotte and Harriet.  Although, I have to say that I loathed Brian from the beginning (Harriet's husband). I did think I had figured things out early on, but there was a good twist in there that I didn't see coming!

Alice is 4 years old, she is shy and is also Harriet and Brian's only daughter.  Harriet trusts her best friend Charlotte to take Alice to the school fair and Charlotte's daughter (Molly) couldn't be happier.  The fair is crowded and it's a hot day.  After allowing the kids to munch down some cotton candy, Charlotte tells the kids to go on the jungle run bouncy house.  After a few minutes she sees Jack (her son) and Molly come off the slide, but there is no sign of Alice.  She begins to panic and after looking herself, she realizes that Alice is nowhere to be seen.  The police are called and group searches are set up, and days pass with still no sign of Alice.  The worst fear is that this disappearance is related to another little boy who seemed to just vanish.

Harriet and Brian's world is tipped upside down, but there is something darker lurking in the cracks of their home.  Brian's behavior seems to be very controlling and out of character for someone who has lost his daughter.  Harriet seems to just want to disappear into the darkness.  Charlotte's life is turned upside down with everyone pointing fingers at her and blaming her for this.

Her One Mistake was hard to read at times, only because I felt the emotions so strongly!!  This was a very good thriller and one that I would recommend reading!
This book isn't what you think it is...in the very best way.
You start out reading it like any other story, taking it all in; you start forming your opinions of the characters and what you think may happen next.
Then little hints start making you think to yourself, "wait, this isn't what I thought was going to happen!"
Imagine letting your best friend take your child out for the day and finding out that she's gone missing. I couldn't imagine the panic I'd be going through, but I definitely felt it while reading this book! And that's what this book is the whole way through - a story that puts you on the edge while it takes you through twists and turns.
I won't go into detail, because it's easy to give them away in this book, so you'll have to read it for yourself!
May I first say the cover is half the reason I took a closer look at Her One Mistake? Some covers are clear misses. This one captured the atmosphere and chilling suspense perfectly.

Charlotte knows her best friend Harriet never lets young Alice out of her sight. In fact, Harriet has never hired a babysitter. It's part of the reason Charlotte is so ecstatic when her friend finally decides to leave Alice with Charlotte for the day. There's a school fair that all of the kids will love, and they plan a full day of fun while Harriet takes a bookkeeping class.

All is going great. As the kids head into a bouncy house, Charlotte takes a few seconds to check messages. Her kids come out, but Alice has vanished. A search of the school fields comes up empty. Charlotte has to tell her friend that Alice is missing.

Losing your own child would be a horror you just can't imagine, but to lose a friend's child seems to be the worst of all. As she tries not to fall under the weight of the tremendous strain of losing another person's child, Harriet tries to hold it all together. One of the women knows more than is being told, and the detectives must discover what and why.

What a book to kick off 2019 with! I'd read a little bit before the New Year's, but Her One Mistake was the first book I actually picked up after the 1st. It was a fantastic choice. I won't say all of it kept me guessing, but the tension was there and had me reading into the wee hours. When I couldn't shut my mind off of other dealings at 4 a.m., I was almost happy to get up and read more.

I am very fond of the psychological suspense novels that are so popular. This one was one of the best.