Her One Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2019

Thank you to Netgalley and Gallery Books for this ARC of Her One Mistake.

This book was intense! My heart was literally breaking for both Charlotte and Harriet.  Although, I have to say that I loathed Brian from the beginning (Harriet's husband). I did think I had figured things out early on, but there was a good twist in there that I didn't see coming!

Alice is 4 years old, she is shy and is also Harriet and Brian's only daughter.  Harriet trusts her best friend Charlotte to take Alice to the school fair and Charlotte's daughter (Molly) couldn't be happier.  The fair is crowded and it's a hot day.  After allowing the kids to munch down some cotton candy, Charlotte tells the kids to go on the jungle run bouncy house.  After a few minutes she sees Jack (her son) and Molly come off the slide, but there is no sign of Alice.  She begins to panic and after looking herself, she realizes that Alice is nowhere to be seen.  The police are called and group searches are set up, and days pass with still no sign of Alice.  The worst fear is that this disappearance is related to another little boy who seemed to just vanish.

Harriet and Brian's world is tipped upside down, but there is something darker lurking in the cracks of their home.  Brian's behavior seems to be very controlling and out of character for someone who has lost his daughter.  Harriet seems to just want to disappear into the darkness.  Charlotte's life is turned upside down with everyone pointing fingers at her and blaming her for this.

Her One Mistake was hard to read at times, only because I felt the emotions so strongly!!  This was a very good thriller and one that I would recommend reading!
This book isn't what you think it is...in the very best way.
You start out reading it like any other story, taking it all in; you start forming your opinions of the characters and what you think may happen next.
Then little hints start making you think to yourself, "wait, this isn't what I thought was going to happen!"
Imagine letting your best friend take your child out for the day and finding out that she's gone missing. I couldn't imagine the panic I'd be going through, but I definitely felt it while reading this book! And that's what this book is the whole way through - a story that puts you on the edge while it takes you through twists and turns.
I won't go into detail, because it's easy to give them away in this book, so you'll have to read it for yourself!
May I first say the cover is half the reason I took a closer look at Her One Mistake? Some covers are clear misses. This one captured the atmosphere and chilling suspense perfectly.

Charlotte knows her best friend Harriet never lets young Alice out of her sight. In fact, Harriet has never hired a babysitter. It's part of the reason Charlotte is so ecstatic when her friend finally decides to leave Alice with Charlotte for the day. There's a school fair that all of the kids will love, and they plan a full day of fun while Harriet takes a bookkeeping class.

All is going great. As the kids head into a bouncy house, Charlotte takes a few seconds to check messages. Her kids come out, but Alice has vanished. A search of the school fields comes up empty. Charlotte has to tell her friend that Alice is missing.

Losing your own child would be a horror you just can't imagine, but to lose a friend's child seems to be the worst of all. As she tries not to fall under the weight of the tremendous strain of losing another person's child, Harriet tries to hold it all together. One of the women knows more than is being told, and the detectives must discover what and why.

What a book to kick off 2019 with! I'd read a little bit before the New Year's, but Her One Mistake was the first book I actually picked up after the 1st. It was a fantastic choice. I won't say all of it kept me guessing, but the tension was there and had me reading into the wee hours. When I couldn't shut my mind off of other dealings at 4 a.m., I was almost happy to get up and read more.

I am very fond of the psychological suspense novels that are so popular. This one was one of the best.
Charlotte agrees to take Alice to the fair. She promises Harriet she will watch her closely. When Alice disappears it is devastating to both women in different ways. Then secrets start to emerge. Where is Alice and who has taken her?

The author did a fantastic job with Charlotte and Harriet. I can feel their pain coming through the pages. I mean…what would you do if you were the mother….what would you do if you were the friend who lost the child? The feelings I had for both these women were remarkable.

Then there is Brian, Harriet’s husband. You know something is not right. You just can’t put your finger on it. Is he abusive, overprotective, or something else entirely?

Well! This book is pretty dang twisted! It did start a little slow…but that is just building for the wicked ending!

I received this novel from Gallery Books via Netgalley for a honest review.
This book is a psychological thriller that will keep readers on their toes. Just when I thought I knew where it was going, it went another way. And yes, this another book with a(n emotionally) abusive spouse with control issues; I sense a theme in many of the books I gravitate towards! All of the plotting and planning and figuring out made this an excellent read.

My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book! This is a perfect example of what a mother would be like. It is worth reading if you like mysteries!
So, thrillers are a love/hate thing for me. I never had any interest in the genre at all until I started blogging and seeing other bloggers’ reviews of various books. Soon, I found myself hooked and wanted to read every new thriller that was coming out. But then, I started feeling bored and thinking that so many of them sounded similar to other books. Her One Mistake was certainly unique, but I can’t say that I loved this one.

I’m on the fence for a number of reasons. First of all, I didn’t find any of the characters even remotely likable, which makes it difficult to feel invested in the story. Harriet just got on my nerves, her husband Brian was completely atrocious, and Charlotte was just, well, she was kind of “blah.” I sympathized with her situation, I mean, imagine losing your friend’s child while at a school fair! I mean, how the hell do you explain that to a said friend later in the day? But besides being divorced, having children of her own, and babysitting Alice the day she was kidnapped, I didn’t really learn enough about her to care one way or the other.

Secondly, I’m not why there were jumps in time between right before, right after, and then maybe a week or so after Alice’s kidnapping. We’re only talking a few weeks so I didn’t feel that the back and forth was needed or relevant in regards to building suspense.

Lastly, the suspense was inconsistent. The novel starts, Harriet’s nervous about letting someone babysit Alice for the first time, and then Alice goes missing. This was good stuff and I was really into the story. But then, the next 60-75% of the novel is police interviews, Charlotte’s guilt, and Brian continuing to screw with Harriet’s head.

Nevertheless, there were things that I loved about Her One Mistake. Heidi Perks nailed Brian’s character as far as making him such a manipulative snake. As the novel progresses, he continually accuses Harriet of “forgetting things,” but eventually it becomes clear that he’s just screwing with her mind. As much as I hated him and what he was doing, the author did a fantastic job of developing his character.

This part will be short and sweet, but I also kind of loved how before you even knew what the hell was going on, you could kind of tell that Harriet and Charlotte were still feeling the friendly/sisterly love for one another. Granted, Harriet wasn’t very welcoming the first time they got together after the kidnapping, but it did become apparent throughout the novel that they still cared for one another and missed their friendship.

Furthermore, I loved how the author built on and described the emotional impact Alice’s kidnapping had on Charlotte, her kids, and basically, her everyday life. Yes, Perks clearly described Harriet’s emotions and fears after her daughter went missing, but I loved how she illustrated the way “friends” suddenly become “less than friends” when there is a controversial issue. It was raw, honest, uncomfortable and perfectly depicted how fairweather some friends can be.

Overall, this was an entertaining read that was suspenseful, but I think it focused more on the psychological. Perks perfectly described the effects and damage of emotional/mental abuse and how desperate a person can become to create a safe and stable life. She also demonstrated all of the reasons not to trust in those you consider your friends and that you never truly know who a person is.

*Thanks to NetGalley and Gallery Books for providing this review copy in exchange for my honest review!
A psychological thriller that will keep you awake! Two families that are torn apart after a friend loses a child at a school fair. Amazing twists that you will never expect.
Charlotte takes her best friend's 4 year old daughter Alice to the school fair along with her own 3 children. The unthinkable happens and Alice disappears. What's worse - losing your own child or a friend's child? Either scenario is just unthinkable! Chapters alternate between Charlotte and Harriet, Alice's mother. It'd be easy to side with one and blame the other but through their stories, you realize things are not as they seem on the surface. If you think this is a typical child abduction story, think again.
A missing child is not a new theme but Heidi Parks made it unique with a good book about a friendship tested when the daughter of one friend goes missing in the other friends care. Secrets about and twists and turns lead to a book that definitely kept me interested!
There are dozens of novels of psychological suspense that center around a missing child, but few have managed to surprise and delight me the way Heidi Perks’ Her One Mistake did. It's a deftly plotted mystery with relatable characters and a surprise ending, making it something I'm very pleased to recommend to fans of the genre.

It was a day not all that different from any other for Charlotte and her three children. They had plans to attend a fair being held at one of the local schools, and everyone was excited to have a day out. The only thing that set this particular day apart from the many others like it was the addition of four-year-old Alice, the only child of Charlotte's best friend Harriet. Alice and Harriet have literally never been separated, as Harriet is an extremely overprotective mother, but she asks Charlotte to look after Alice for a few hours so she can attend an accounting class, and Charlotte agrees.

Keeping track of four active children at a busy fair is no easy feat, but Charlotte is managing pretty well until she happens to look away from them for a split second, and that's all the time it takes for tragedy to strike. Alice is nowhere to be found, and Charlotte is frantic. After searching everywhere she can think of, Charlotte calls the police, setting in motion an investigation that will forever change the lives of those involved.

When Harriet learns of her daughter's disappearance, she is overcome with anger and fear. Charlotte is the last person she wants to see or speak to, since it was her carelessness that resulted in this terrible tragedy. But as days pass with no sign of the missing child, it begins to seem that her only hope of being reunited with Alice is likely to lie with Charlotte.

What follows is one of the twistiest novels I've had the pleasure of reading in quite a while. I thought for sure I had things all figured out, but none of my theories turned out to be true. Ms. Perks does a stellar job throwing in all manner of red herrings, none of which seemed over the top.

Public opinion plays a huge part in this story, and it's honestly one of the most compelling aspects of the plot. Charlotte is treated horribly by friends, acquaintances, and even perfect strangers. Everyone has their own opinion of what she could have done to prevent the calamity, and no one is the least bit hesitant to voice their thoughts. It's something that feels quite relevant to our times, and I'm glad the author incorporated it into the story.

There are some pretty graphic depictions of domestic violence here that could prove problematic for some readers. Ms. Perks handles the subject with a great deal of sensitivity, but some of the descriptions were extremely difficult to read, and I wanted people to be aware of this fact before picking this one up.

I can't tell you much else about Her One Mistake without entering spoiler territory, so I'll just urge you to give this fantastic thriller a try as soon as you can. It's a book that's sure to keep you guessing until the very end, and I'm pretty sure it's a story you won't soon forget.

Buy it at: Amazon/Apple Books/Barnes & Noble/Kobo
Visit our Amazon Storefront
Thank you to NetGalley, Gallery Books, and Heidi Perks for an ARC ebook copy to review. As always, an honest review. Sorry about the late review on this ARC. A migraine prevented me from getting the reading done.

My rating is actually 4.5 stars but since there aren't half stars on here, I always round up.

Lately the thrillers I’ve been reading have been exceptional. Her One Mistake can be added to that list. The book takes us through the horror of losing a child. The palpable fear is so intense, it’s almost indescribable. The author crafted a complex mystery that’s slowly revealed in perfect timing. The mysteries upon mysteries make for a book that I absolutely couldn’t put down. I think I read it in less than 2 days.

I also like that the concept of gaslighting is featured. It’s not called as such, but it’s well done. The tension and suspense is perfect. I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy a book about a child being kidnapped, or if it would be too typical. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the complexity, surprise and characters. A wonderful psychological thriller that I highly recommend.
You've read the blurb/synopsis -- now read the book. Without giving spoilers, I'm finding it hard to write a typical review as this is and is not a typical missing child crime thriller.

Yes, 4-year-old Alice goes missing in broad daylight from a crowded school fair. Indeed, Charlotte Reynolds, the mom who was supposed to be watching Alice, is blamed. Harriet Hodder is Alice's mom and she had never before left her child with anyone. How could this have happened? And is this a kidnapping similar to that of a boy who was snatched from a nearby village months before? The police investigation begins and the friendship between Charlotte and Harriet naturally falls to pieces as Charlotte blames herself (she was posting on Facebook instead of keeping an eye on Alice) and Harriet's husband, Brian, blames her for leaving Alice with a sitter. But there is much more to this story.

While the two best friends are completely estranged, their lives both take a sharp turn to the worse. Charlotte, formerly a popular divorced mom of three, is looked at with suspicion and distrust -- she lost her best friend's daughter! Harriet sinks into a lockdown mode in her house with only her controlling husband and the liaison officer for company. Harriet feels she is losing her mind with the worry over her missing child.

The narrative shifts between point and view and a then and now format while the women each tell their own version of events as they are questioned by detectives. It turns out that the only truth happens to be this: if someone doesn't want to tell you their secrets, you won't know them.

A subtle shift occurs partway through the book that takes the story in a completely different direction and I really enjoyed the departure from the usual course. After the revelation, the tone changes and I could not turn the pages fast enough to get to the climax. I'm not sure how believable the whole scenario actually is, but I totally enjoyed it nevertheless. The characters were interesting and I could empathize with each woman as the plot delves into some issues typical of women's fiction and domestic drama. The conclusion seemed apt given all that had happened ...but I can't say more tho I want to!

I liked the book. Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the e-book ARC to read and review.
Her One Mistake. Quite interesting story with a rather large twist very near the end. Charlotte - poor Charlotte! I wouldn't have wanted to be in her shoes at all. How do you explain to people that you lost your friend's child? And Harriet. She never left her child alone before, but she trusts Charlotte one time. THE one time. The one time your child is lost. What a terrible thing to happen. I'd be beside myself.

These two mothers were rather unlikable to me even though I enjoyed the story. Charlotte was far too scattered for me - always torn about should she do A before B or B before A. Harriet was so overprotective that it was smothering. They both bothered me and they were at opposite ends of the spectrum.

The book did definitely keep my interest because I wanted to know what became of Alice. I was very invested in what would happen with her story. That is what kept me turning pages.

If you like psychological thrillers, as I do, give this one a chance. I appreciate Netgalley, the publisher and the author approving my request for an ARC. My thoughts are my own.
This was just okay. Heidi Perks is a new to me author and the blurb got my attention. This took a lot longer for me to read because I was expecting a fast paced, highly intense psychological thriller and to be honest, it just wasn't that at all. It was very, very slow and felt flat to me. :(
It picked up around the 50% mark and I couldn't stop thinking that all the signs were there... right in front of their noses, and everyone just seemed to be missing it.
I was hoping for a more of a connection between the missing boy story but nothing was ever mentioned about that again. And the ending was just... okay.
Maybe my expectations were too high... I had hoped for more.
Charlotte Reynolds is separated from Tom and is the busy mother of three children.  Today, she has agreed to take Alice, age 4, with her own children to the school fair.  Harriet is going to take a class today to help prepare her to look for a job soon.  She is a bit nervous about leaving Alice because it is the first time she has ever been away from her.  Harriet’s husband, Brian, goes fishing every Saturday so he is not home to watch Alice.  Both Alice and Charlotte are a bit edgy because a 9-year-old boy had gone missing from the park the previous fall and has not been found.

The fair is packed with people and it is a hot day.  The children all want to go on a big inflatable slide, so Charlotte asks her older son, Jack, to be sure and keep an eye on Alice.  But when the children return, Alice is not with them.  The police are called and they search everywhere but cannot find Alice.

Harriet is devastated and in a state of shock.  Her husband, Brian, is very harsh and almost vicious toward Charlotte who is also devastated and feels so guilty.  The police send a Family Liaison Officer to stay with Harriet and Brian while they search for Alice.

This story encompasses Harriet’s emotions and Brian’s reaction to her.  In addition, we see how Charlotte is almost ostracized by her friends for having “lost” Alice.  Emotions are running very high. What happened to Alice?

Oh wow!  This is a very good story with lots of twists and turns that the reader would not expect.  It will keep you on the edge of your seat chewing your nails.  I love how the author fully describes the emotions of Harriet and Charlotte that you almost feel them yourself.  Don’t miss this one.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Her One Mistake was a very fast-paced and engaging read with a unique premise. There are a lot of twists throughout the novel, and even though I had some ideas of how the story might end, there was plenty of suspense to keep me on my toes.

I appreciated how the book managed to keep time very well, even when jumping between "Before" and "Now".  I was never lost and always anticipating.   I do feel as though the characters could have been a bit more developed, but overall, this was a very enjoyable read.   This will be a great book for book clubs in the months to come.

Thank you to Netgalley and Gallery Books for an advanced copy of this title.
Her One Mistake is a thriller about the case of a little girl who goes missing at a school fair.  What happened to her?  Who is responsible?  Do you really know people as well as you think you do?  These questions will keep you turning pages late into the night.  This was a twisty and engaging quick read.  I really enjoyed it!
I received an advanced copy reader of Her One Mistake from Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books via NetGalley, in return for my honest opinion.

Her One Mistake by Heidi Perks is a story about Harriet and Charlotte’s friendship and how well they really know each other. Harriet has never let her four year old daughter out of her sight, but she needs a babysitter. Charlotte is bringing her three kids to the school fair and is more than happy to bring Alice along with them. Charlotte only took her eyes off the kids for a minute when Alice disappears. How can Harriet and Charlotte’s friendship survive this tragedy? In order to find Alice, Harriet and Charlotte must trust each other even though one of them is hiding something.

This book was a quick read- it had a few slow parts but the pace really picked up near the end. Her One Mistake is available today, January 8, 2019.

Goodreads Rating: 3/5 stars

#heidiperks #heronemistake #netgalley #thriller #thrillerbooks #readin2019 #gallerybooks #arcs #advancedreadercopy
I gave this book a  5 out of 5 star review.  It was an enjoyable and I would recommend. to others.   Generously provided to me through NetGalley