Vermin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Feb 2019

The prologue introduces low-level, low-brow politician Henry Lewis, who’s interrupted in his back alley business when his intended victim Davie is rescued. Allan Linton fell into the PI business after a newspaper takeover, and he pulled strong, silent street avenger Niddrie in as his “and Associates.” A mysterious man calling himself Carter hires them to find a woman in a photograph whose name is likely an alias. Then dear reader goes through a flashback on the rise and fall of Allan’s marriage to the daughter of a top dollar barrister, then back to the present where his daughter asks his help with the entitled son of her grandfather’s partner and he explains his love for the Hollies. He seeks help on the case from his best friend Michael, who just happens to be the main drug dealer in town, and dear reader goes through another flashback chapter on the origin of their friendship. There are aliases and backstories galore in this novel, with each flashback its own fascinating short story. If you like backstory woven into the fabric of a novel, this format might confound you. The unusual names and behaviors of the characters make this whodunwhat feel a bit out of time and place, like a cheeky noir film. I received a digital copy of this fantastic story from Black & White Publishing Ltd through NetGalley.
This book is excellent!!

I really enjoyed the plot and they are right with the tag line – Allan Linton certainly is “a detective with a difference”. I thought he had a great personality, some brilliant lines in the book and a great way of working that made the book really exciting.

I was hooked as soon as I started reading and I enjoyed the setting very much. I fond the book to be an addictive read and I flew through the pages and before I knew it I was over three quarters of the way through – not bad for reading just a few chapters before bed!

Five stars from me – a thoroughly enjoyable story and one I am going to be highly recommending – a highlight of the year for me!!
When I first saw this book on Netgalley, I was thoroughly intrigued. I then forgot about it, then I saw it on my shelf and went oh gosh I need to read that ASAP. I then started and I was a bit let down at the beginning. I nearly DNF'd it, but I was intrigued by the storyline of who Tina Lamont really was, and I knew I was still invested in knowing the outcome of this book. I knew if I DNF'd this book, it would eat me alive to not know what happened in the end. I'm actually really glad I didn't DNF Vermin.

So yes, Vermin started off slow, but once it got past to first 15-20%, it truly picked up in pace, before again, slowing down there the end, which I was glad about, after reading such a pretty high paced book. In saying this, it's not the most quickest paced book I've read. The pace varies just like how a job of a private investigator would. Because of this, I truly felt like I was following Allan Linton around in his job.

The story line of Allan being given the job to find a woman by the name of Tina Lamont was everything I wanted in a PI novel. It went down roads that I wasn't expecting it to go down. In saying this, as soon as bits and pieces were revealed, I did find some of it a bit predictable, but still enjoyable.

Let's go onto Allan Linton and his fellow character. I adore Allan and his storyline from paper reporter to falling into the PI role by chance. I loved the little backstory to set the scene of how he got into the job, otherwise I had begun to assume he had been a police officer and decided to go down a different path with a similar job.

There were two characters that truly made this book so much more enjoyable for me just because of their involvement in the story. Niddrie, a colleague of Allan's, and also Ailsa, Allan's daughter. Niddrie was constantly a surprise and a mystery which I loved. I loved not knowing his full name, what he does at the library with Claire, and his backstory. Normally this bugs me so much, but I think it added to the quirk of Niddrie. I also loved his strong alpha personality around the baddies in the book. I loved pretty much everything about him to be honest. Ailsa, what a beautiful inclusion. I loved her quick wit always aimed at her father in some way, but always with love. I loved her witty little comments about Allan's dress choice or telling him that Hannah, his ex, is 'picking her up and come say hello, it's fine, it's only mum'. On the topic of Hannah, I did truly love the co-parenting within this book.

I'm so glad I read Graham's debut work, and I can't wait to read some more in the future!

Thank you very much to Black & White Publishing for providing me with a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Allan Linton lives and works as a Private Detective in Dundee, Scotland. One afternoon he is visited by a mysterious man who asks Linton to find a young woman for a large sum of money. He is given a lump sum upfront and £5000 to follow when he has information on where she is.

The man only has a photograph to go on of a young blond girl in a school uniform, though Linton is informed that the girl is actually a brunette and that her name is Tina Lamont. With not much to go on Allan and his associate Niddrie set out to look for her, but it would seem that no-one has a clue who the girl is until Allan has an idea and asks an old friend for help.

The case seemed straightforward, that was until a breaking news article leaves Allan and Niddrie shocked as to who the mystery man really was. Also, why are there two gangsters now making threats too? Ever wish you hadn’t gotten involved in someone else’s problems – Allan Linton is certainly feeling that way now!

Vermin is a mystery, crime, mild thriller book set in the heart of Dundee. The plot is told in the first person (except for the prologue) and from Allan Linton’s point of view. Allan has a fun way of looking at the world and doesn’t take life too seriously. He is a divorced, father of one to his teenage daughter Ailsa, whose problems with an over-enthusiastic young man he has to deal with too.
I enjoyed this story of a Dundee private detective. It wasn’t a particularly fast paced thriller but I liked the main character and I really enjoyed how the author built aspects of Dundee's history and referred to particular landmarks and locations. The plot wasn’t the strongest but all the loose ends were tied up and the ending was just right.
This was a great private investigator story. Allan Linton works as a PI in Dundee, he’s asked to look for a missing school girl for a mystery client - the story from there was really easy to read and enjoyable.
There are sub-plots going on throughout the story and the way the missing person story was concluded took me by surprise.
There were no big dramatic twists and turns, but the way it was written with lots of humour really made me want to read more.
I hope this isn’t the last we see of Allan Linton.
I found this book really easy to read from the start and the author has set the main action around Dundee which makes a nice change as I have never read a book set there.

The story is about Alan Linton, how he became a private detective and his background including family life. He then got a visit from a man looking for a missing girl that he believes come from Dundee and he is given a name. That is only the information available. He takes the case on and makes enquiries.

Unfortunately Alan can find no trace of the girl under the name given but he keeps digging and things hot up when a body is found in London. It turns out to be the guy who hired him. Just what was going on? Things were about to take a turn for the worse where the case was concerned.....

I enjoyed reading this book, very easy writing style so easy to read,  The main story was the missing girl but there was something that happened early in the book that becomes a lot cleared nearer the end which is very cleverly done. Be interesting to see if there are more books about this character.
Vermin is my first read by this author and I will definitely be looking to read more. An intriguing crime story with an engaging plot and storyline. I would recommend this book to readers of crime
I would like yo thank the author, the publisher and Netgalley for providing me generously with ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Vermin is a truly enjoyable read with the charming ambience of Dundee, Scotland, and a private eye, Allan Linton who is the narrator that knows how to build up the suspense. His internal monologues remind me of Raymond Chandler's style and I admit I enjoy this kind of humor. Allan is asked to locate a girl and together with his unpaid mysterious emploee, he uses wit and brains to do so. I am convinced we will read more novels with Allen and Niddrie.
"Vermin" by William A. Graham.

4.5 stars.
I really loved it!
The way the book starts, wow, so funny, then I couldn't put it down!

Allan Linton is a detective who has to find a missing girl... He has a partner, Niddrie, together they work the case...

A really well written detective story full of suspense, surprises and funny lines.  Good pace, interesting characters, well developed story...
Good from beginning to end!  I never read a detective story like that, captivating and funny!

Thank you NetGalley and Black & White Publishing for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Vermin is a brilliant private investigator story set in Dundee, by a debut author who has created a wonderful hero in Allan Linton, so I hope that this is just the beginning of a series. Linton reminded me of Robert Crais’ detective Elvis Cole, which is a good thing as that’s one of my favourite series.

Allan Linton, who used to be a crime journalist but now runs his own investigative company, and his associate, the mysterious Niddrie, are asked by a wealthy client to track down a young woman with only a false name, a photo and the idea that she might be from Dundee, but are told it must remain a secret. Using his network of friends, former clients and past contacts, they manage to find the girl, but when the client is murdered in London, and a pair of shady characters show up, Linton will need to get devious to keep both her and his precious daughter safe.

What I liked best here is that Linton was a genuinely nice guy, with principles, friends, and a backbone. He’s not screwed up at all, maintains a cordial relationship with his ex and is close to his sparky teenage daughter. He inspires intense loyalty from the people he’s helped, and he will do the right thing, even if that means working outside the law. There was just enough backstory to tell us what we need to know, and the plot was not overly complicated.

The only things I didn’t like were the title (which is explained right at the end but would have put me off the book if I hadn’t read the blurb), and the annoyingly repetitive anti-English digs throughout: you’d think after living in Scotland for ten years I’d be used to it, but they still grate. I’m not marking this down though, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read and I look forward to more.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
Vermin is published on 01.03.19.
Vermin is about a PI based in Dundee and it is the first book that I have read by William A Graham and hopefully won't be the last.

It is a really enjoyable book, that moves along at a decent pace and incorporates a little bit of humour that doesn't overwhelm or detract from the main storyline.

The main characters are ripe for development in future books and I hope that this becomes a series

Highly recommended
Vermin, the first novel to feature Dundee based PI Allan Linton, is a superb piece of crime fiction with all the bells and whistles required to keep a reader enthralled. I couldn't put it down and found myself finishing it in a single gripping sitting. It has a solid, unpredictable plot aided by the twists and surprises throughout, and as the narrative is solely from Allan's perspective it's easy to follow and immerse yourself in. The humour interspersed within the pages is quite amusing and brings a lighter tone to the novel, and Allan's optimism despite the difficulty of finding information about the missing girl is an enjoyable addition.

Allan comes across a lot like Columbo, bumbling around and looking, for all intents and purposes, as though he has no idea what he's doing but exactly like the inimitable Columbo he is as sharp as a tack, and the facade serves the purpose of putting those he's investigating at ease; it's a very clever little ruse if ever there was one. I also appreciate that while he has his personal problems like many other fictional investigators he doesn't spend time wallowing in self-pity he instead makes light of the situation which makes him a joy to behold.

Many thanks to Black & White Publishing for an ARC.
Great introduction to PI Alan Linton. Dry humour, great characters along with some tales of the darker side of life. What’s not to like?

Very easy to read. I look forward to the next in the series.
Really enjoyed this story of a Dundee PI. Great story and looking forward to more from William A. Graham
It is always good to find a debut from an author and find it such a pleasurable read. Allan Linton the owner of the Private Investigations Agency is a great character and the use of humour in this book really does work well, both in the speech as well as the narrative. This book is a very easy read and the storyline is gripping keeping you reading. There is much background detail in this book so that those who require the backstory get it and I would expect future books to have less of this. The pacing of the book is well thought out and the locations are used well. This book is quite a 'cosy' read until the last quarter where the action picks up, there is some violence but there is nothing particularly graphic. I like the fact that the author doesn't resort to using a lot of swearing to pad out the narrative and find the family story alongside believable and will be interested to see how it develops. A solid 4 stars for this book.
#Vermin #NetGalley
Oh my goodness, I have not enjoyed a book so much for a very long time - if only I could give it more than 5*.  It's not a comedy book but it made me laugh out loud several times (hard to do), wonderful characters, great plot.  Please please don't let this be a one hit wonder - I want more from this writer and this ensemble of characters.
Set in Dundee and featuring Allan Linton a private detective with a difference. Some lovely touches of humour with his sidekick Niddrie. A taste of things to come in the next book and I would recommend this one most definitely. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC. Reviews on Goodreads and Facebook.
Thank you NetGalley and publishers Black & White for the ARC.
Excellent reading!  Allan Linton is an ex-newspaper reporter, ex-husband of a high-flying lawyer whose wealthy father heads a prestigious law firm, and a protective father to his daughter Ailsa, now 15..  His Associate Niddrie is characterised as quietly assured, although we are drip-fed occasional snippets which suggest his Army experience was gained elsewhere to the Pay Corps.  Following a visit to his office by an elderly Englishman, Allan and Niddrie begin an investigation into a missing girl Tina Lamont.  They have nothing more to go on but a photograph of her in a school uniform, the suggestion that she was from Dundee and that she was a brunette and had been in London.
The search for Tina is the background thread which leads us through Allan's past and present relationships with previous clients, friends and family, not least of which is his oldest friend who is now the largest drugs distributor in the area.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.  There's no excessive violence, nor swearing although there are several dead bodies and well-planned conclusion.  The writing flowed to give the reader a detailed picture of Allan Linton's life as a private detective and it was a comfortable read. I found the dialogue witty and entertaining and can't wait to hopefully read more of Allan Linton & Associates' adventures.
I must congratulate Mr. Graham on this, his first novel. It is very well written and a pleasure to read.

Allan Linton's career as a crime reporter was truncated, cut short, strangled, or some other negative verb, by the takeover of his newspaper by modern types who could not understand why a reporter did not spend all his time at his desk. After not very much thought he took a buyout, and reinvented himself as a private investigator. We join him several years later. The firm is now called "Allan Linton and Associates" although there is only one Associate, an enigmatic but highly effective fellow called "Niddrie". First name? Last name? TBD. Niddrie is an unusual associate for a detective in fiction because he isn't a bruiser, although one thinks he could be in the right situations.

The story revolves around a missing woman. A mysterious client hires Allan Linton and Associates to find a girl known only by a fake name. Allan starts with only a photo to go by but his reporter's instincts and a career of shady contacts stands him in good stead.

I look forward to reading more of these.