Obake Neko (Ghost Cat): A Pacific Tale

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Jul 2018

For the most part this is well written novel. The dual storyline is interesting and pertinent to the story. Where the novel falls down is the climax and finish. It feels very contrived as if the author couldn't figure out how to end the novel   and just wanted to get it done.
4 stars

This is a great mystery story that covers a period of time at the end of the Pacific war and the present. The story is both well written and plotted. I enjoyed the characters, especially Sensei. It is a story about an imaginary submarine called Obake Neko or the Ghost Cat. She had been hauling supplies to the soldiers on the Pacific Islands until she was requisitioned on a secret mission.

Meanwhile an American war plane goes down and its four survivors are floating in a raft in the water when the pilot named Bud spots the submarine. What follows is both an adventure and a mystery. It comes back to life in the present when Bud, the only survivor of the floating raft, breaks into the local Navy base near Pearl Harbor to steal documents and then sets them on fire.

The Japanese officer structure and the technical details of the Obake Neko were very interesting. (How much is real, I don’t know. Aircraft on a submarine? How does that work?) I certainly look forward to reading more of Mr. Gillespie’s novels.

I want to thank NetGalley and David Michael Gillespie for forwarding to me a copy of this great book for me to read, enjoy and review.