A Girl Behind Dark Glasses

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

A big thank you to Hashtag Press & Netgalley for sending me this book for an honest review!

This book broke my heart. If I'm completely honest I was mostly ignorant of the specifics of M.E before reading this although my Mum suffers from fibromyalgia so I do know something about chronic fatigue in general. This memoir of Jessica Taylor-Bearman's life is an inspirational tale of her life pretty much bed-ridden and in constant pain with the debilitating symptoms of M.E. I implore you to read this book.

The way in which Jessica was treated in various different care-settings is at times sickening, disgusting and made me so angry I wanted to shout and throw my Kindle across the room. However, Jessica shows her true strength lies in making something amazing out of a terrible situation. Whatever you do, buy this book and read it! It will teach you many things and perhaps make you think differently about other people and the things they might be going through.
I've heard of ME before, but I didn't really know what it was, thankfully never had any friends or acquaintances who suffer from it. What an awful illness! This first-hand account was both fascinating and terrible, impossible for me to imagine. What a trooper Jessica is.
A sad story about a teenage girl who was perfectly healthy until her mid-teens then became so ill she was confined to a hospital hooked up to machines. I was a little puzzled because in the US her disease is called Chronic fatigue syndrome and normally isn't quite so severe but it was an interesting look into a very limited life.
I would like to thank Hashtag Press and Netgalley for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the cover, we see Jessica wearing black glasses, and the summary.

This autobiography particularly moved me. She tells us about Jessica's life fighting a neuro-immune disease called Myalgia Encephalomyelitis that she has had since she was fifteen years old. Before that, she was a teenager like any other. But she had to live in the hospital for years with tubes keeping her alive.

A poignant, captivating moving story written through the tech enabled journal dubbed: "bug" Jessica's dream was to be author and well she managed this one. I hope she will release another book, her pen is addictive and her book deserves to be known around the world. There are never enough books like that.
Powerful story about how the medical community doesn't believe women, children, and their bodies. Taylor-Bearman faces trauma of the body due to a little understood disease and multiple hospitals that view her more as an experiment than a person. She braves the disease, world, and life through the lens of closed eyes protected by glasses and an imagination to keep her sane. Warning, this memoir is not something to read if you are looking for a smile. It is dark and honest. If you have chronic pain or an invisible illness, you will find yourself in these words.
I would like to thank the publishers and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read A Girl Behind Dark Glasses in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
The book is written by Jessica -her journey,life and battle with M.E (myalgic encephalomyelitis) and how she survives through the severest form of M.E. It’s a true story about her hospital stays, going on years and how she was fed through a feeding tube. We are introduced to ‘Bug’ who is a fictional person that she writes to in form of a diary.. Her love of literature and her ambition to become an author comes through.
I first came across Jessica in the film Unrest and when I found this book I wanted to learn more about her. I found this book really interesting and inspirational. Jessica wears her heart on her sleeve and the way she grabs life and how determined she is. In some parts of the book I could empathise with her as I too suffer with this horrid illness. Reading the and seeing how mature and determined Jessica is has made me look at how I deal with my M.E and how I need to have more of an attitude like Jessica.
Be proud Jessica, continue to fight.
As a fellow sufferer of a severe case of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as it's known in the States, I empathized with the heartbreaking tale of a life cut short, understood the frustration of dealing with the medical community, and thought this was a great story to get out there for others to try to see what this disease is all about. Though my experience with this illness is different, as all cases differ in severity and presentation, I believe the write hit the finer points of navigating an illness few can truly understand unless they unfortunately have it. But this is great way to start loved ones or even newly diagnosed patients with a window into this world.
People who are interested in Biographies / Autobiographies and Memoirs will want to read this book!  This book was very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it.   I give this book 5 stars.  Provided to me through NetGalley.  Thank You!
A wonderful book that gives you insight into ME, a disease that people thought was imaginary.. Beautiful and brutally honest.
Strongly recommended if a little sad.
‘A Girl Behind Dark Glasses’ is the story of Jessica, who unexpectedly becomes ill in her early teens, and ended up suffering with M.E. Sadly, she is still largely afflicted by the illness, and this is her story of her many years of dealing with it. I am embarrassed to admit that I was in the group of people who thought M.E. Was pretty much a ‘made up’ illness and could not really understand what it was all about, so I am pleased to have read Jessica’s experience to finally understand that this is actually a horrendous neurological condition that is completely debilitating. Jessica appears so upbeat at times despite her troubles, and although it would be easy to dwell on all the years she has wasted in hospital, she recounts her experiences with positivity and strength. An eye-opening read which I would recommend.
This is a memoir about a girl with M.E. it is saddening and shows you a different world and an illness that many don't know about. However, it is also a book of strength.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion of it.