Cover Image: The Leading Edge of Now

The Leading Edge of Now

*I received an ARC copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Frankly, this was disappointing.  From the very beginning, I couldn't settle into the characters, setting, or even the plot.  It often felt like a bunch of random occurrences strung together for the sake of "plot," stock characters included.  I couldn't relate to the characters or what they were feeling.  Several times, I asked, "What does this character want?"  "Wait, why are they doing this?"  They just didn't seem real to me.  I completely support sexual assault survivors and think this was an important story to tell, but it was told poorly.  It had a fair amount of cliches and a plot that didn't build scene by scene.  I feel sorry to say that this book felt like a soap opera to me because of the characters with little depth and the confusing plot.  It's too bad, because I feel this book/topic of sexual assault survivors is powerful and needed to be written clearly and well.
I'm at a loss of words. I don't know how to phrase it so you understand how good this book is. I can just try.
The Leading Edge of Now might be the most compelling book I've read in a long while, maybe over a year. The writing is amazing, Mrs. Curtis nailed both the pacing and the tone of the narrator, which is why this book, despite the heavy subject, was so easy to read and get lost in.
Thanks to some shared experience with the main character, I found the story easy to relate to, and I had a hard time putting the book down, I was excited to see the outcome.
A huge thanks to Kids Can Press for the chance to read and review this book. Thanks to this book I am eager to read Marci Lyn Curtis' other book, as well as anything she might publish in the future.
The beginning hooked me immediately.
The Leading Edge of Now did not disappoint in a single way.
I loved Grace instantly.
This book is an unforgettable contemporary YA
This book really surprised me, I did not expect it to be this good!  Having not read any other books by the author and the title giving little away, I went into this one a bit blind. Also, having just read Courtney Summer's Sadie, which I loved, I thought it would be hard for my next YA read to make a mark. Well, I can tell you that The Leading Edge of Now has definitely made one.

The tale of the main protagonist Grace, is a sad one. Becoming an orphan at the age of 15, Grace has to deal with the nightmares of what happened to her that night at her uncle's house. After two years in foster care, Grace now returns to her uncle's house who finally requested her custody. Grace is back at the town where she used to spend all her holidays, met her best friend and found a boyfriend. Convinced that Grace knows who abused her 2 years ago, she is suddenly realising that she might have got it wrong and blamed the wrong person. If it wasn't Grace's boyfriend Owen, then who raped Grace that night?

I am impressed with Curtis' incredible writing. The story comes to life and every element of it feels very real.

"When you're a virgin for 15 years of your life, it's pretty easy to tell when you suddenly aren't. And even if you don't remember it when you wake up the next morning, and even if the boy has long since gone, the tale is crystal clear."

The book tackles a very sensitive subject without an unnecessary detail describing the act, however, rather by portraying the raw feelings and pain of the victim afterwards.

I loved this book. The story resonated with me and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I would say it is a contemporary YA Must Read and I really really hope it gets as much attention as it deserves.
I devoured this book in just a few hours. I was compelled to read beginning to end without stopping. I had to know that, despite her tragedy, Grace survived her story.
The raw emotions bled from the pages and seeped into my heart. I felt, on a soul deep level, everything Grace felt. The writing was so well done I felt like I was walking next to Grace and experiencing everything with her.
It is tragic to see how one event can have such far reaching, damaging effects. There were no facets of Grace’s life untouched by that night, all those months ago.
Grace started this story broken and helpless and alone. Unaware of the strength she had inside her and the support she had next to her. By the end of the book she was strong enough to not only help herself but to reach out and lend a helping hand to others.
“ I don’t need someone to yank me toward wellness. I need someone to walk beside me as I find it on my own“ - Grace Cochran

I was given this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
When I started The Leading Edge of Now I seriously considered just not finishing it. That was just because at that moment I was looking for something that came out of the gate like BANG. I'm glad I didn't put it down and not finish it. I loved this book and the raw honesty of the story. She didn't need someone to save her because she was capable of doing it by herself. It brought up some emotions from my own experiences and I had to just cry it out, then I finished the book. It was very well and thoughtfully written.
Wow. This was a pretty quick read, but that definitely did not detract from the power of the plotline and the strength of the characters.

I started The Leading Edge of Now a while ago, actually. Picked up the ARC, and something got in the way of my reading process, so I put it on hold after reading the first two chapters. Resumed today, and I'm incredibly satisfied with this book.

On top of the beautiful cover, Marci Lyn Curtis worked some real magic in this mystery-contemporary. I was a little confused by the whole re-introduction of the main character into her community. I still can't say I'm super certain of the whole timeline? Might've missed something on accident.

Grace 's familiarity with everyone in her uncle's area really added so much to the quality of the book. Instead of a "new girl, new city" trope, it was "slightly changed girl, same city." My one disappointment was that Grace literally never talked about her time in foster care. She'd mention in passing during her monologues occasionally, but it didn't serve any purpose other than to add to her sob story.

You'd think that being in the system for around two years would at least affect her somehow. I wish that the book could've at least touched more upon the specifics of her time there, though I do understand that it isn't exactly one of the more pressing matters.

Speaking of pressing matters, I really loved how the author wasn't afraid to be real, at least with Grace. She had her ups and downs, unsureties and triumphs, shortcomings and everything, and I teared up while reading one of the scenes toward the middle of the book because of the rawness of it all.

Sigh.

Sending all my virtual love to Netgalley and Kids Can Press for this wonder of a book!
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I'm going to be completely honest here and say I had no idea that this book was going to turn out the way it did. But I'm forever thankful for that. I can't go into to much detail without ruining this book but trust me when I say that it's good. I'm so proud of Grace for everything that she's accomplished throughout. I give her a lot of credit for being so brave, going through what she did is not an easy thing to do.
Trigger warning: rape.

Let’s start this review by saying that this book is simply outstanding.
The story this book tells is not an easy one, but it manages to do so in a very admirable way.
All the characters are very well crafted, Grace especially. Her story and her bravery truly moved me. The emotions the author describes are raw and real, something that I appreciated very much considering the fact I was reading a YA novel.
“The leading edge of now” is filled with pain, trauma, loss and so much more but in the end there’s also a little ray of hope, something that keeps all the characters going, something to believe in.
I applaud Marci Lyn Curtis for being able to write such an authentic and important story.
I received a copy of this book for free and voluntarily chose to review. This story has a good plot but I just couldn't get into it. From what I read though it seems like it's young adult appropriate.
The Leading Edge of Now by Marci Lyn Curtis follows a newly orphaned teenager, Grace. However, just as she gets used to being a part of "the system," Grace's uncle Rusty finally claims guardianship over her, two years after her father's death.

Curtis weaves an intricate storyline throughout this beautiful YA novel. While there's a glaringly obvious romantic plot in the first third of the novel, it slowly shifts away as Grace starts to unveil the truth of her past sexual assault.

Grace goes through a lot of self-doubt throughout the unravelling of the truth. Frequently, she wonders whether or not she's to blame. She feels ashamed. Embarrassed. Damaged. Curtis appropriates the topic of sexual assault gracefully and deeply, allowing the readers to understand the complexities of a survivors mind frame when confronting their rapist.

When I was a teenager, my favourite young adult author was Sarah Dessen. She still is, to be honest. But I would have LOVED knowing Marci Lyn Curtis' work as well. Her writing reminds me of the easy, breezy flow of Dessen, but with the same depth in the story. It's not just another YA romance novel, it's so much more than that.

Review will be live on https://squarerootentertainment.wordpress.com/2018/08/20/book-review-the-leading-edge-of-now on 20 August 2018.
This may be the best YA book I've read yet this year. I LOVED how fierce and strong of a character Grace was, and how well written her story was. Her growth through death, moving, friendships lost and found, all while dealing with such traumatic life experiences was incredible to read.

Thank you Netgalley and Kids Can Press for allowing me to read this title in exchange for a review, I thoroughly enjoyed this title!
TRIGGER WARNING: deals with rape.

This book was absolutely beautiful. It was hard to get into at first but after the first few chapters it was absolutely amazing. So gripping, highly recommend.
I want to thank NetGalley and the author for letting me read this.

This book is incredibly raw. It gripped me and dragged me in. I sat almost crying in the park. I would highly recommend this one, but there is frequent mentions of a rape. However, the story is beautiful and the bonds that develops are strong. Real emotions are portrayed and I am very glad I have read this one.
The Leading Edge of Now is a coming of age story where, Grace learns to deal with more than her fair share of tragedy. Since her father’s death two years ago, she has been an orphan. Rusty, her only living relative, finally steps up to become her guardian. While Grace is grateful to have a “home,” she doesn’t want to go back to her uncle’s house. Something happened there that she wants to forget, but Grace realizes to move on she must face her past and find it the truth. However, finding the truth may ruin her life. I didn’t love this book, but I may be a little biased. This book hit a little too close to home and at times I felt emotionally exhausted. However, knowing that this book made me feel that way, demonstrates what a great writer Marci Lyn Curtis is. I enjoyed that we were able to see multiple glimpses of Grace’s past. Not only were the characters multidimensional but I could see people I knew in them. While the content of this book isn’t for everyone, I certainly think this will be talked about. I recommend this book for readers that enjoyed Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.
TRIGGER WARNING

CONTAINS DISCUSSION/FLASHBACKS SURROUNDING RAPE, PTSD, ALCOHOLISM

Contemporary isn't my go to genre but The Leading Edge of Now caught my eye on NetGalley and I was very please to have a chance to read it - I went with my gut, just like Faith, and I am glad that I did.  This is a stunning example of how a YA contemporary novel should be written.  It was engaging, heart breaking, thought provoking and uplifting and I loved it.

Grace Cochran is a well likeable protagonist and her inner monologue is very well written, she is humorous and complicated and quite obviously suffering from some emotional trauma.  Her relationships with the other characters in the book are well done, and the side characters were very three-dimensional, you could tell that alot of thought had gone into them - I especially liked Rusty and Owen.

Overall a very well written novel which shows the aftermath of rape and grief, and how she begins to finally heal.  The big reveal I found was quite shocking, to the characters as well as myself.

Would I Recommend It?

Yes definitely – I read it in one sitting.  I honestly couldn't put it down.  Read it, I don't think you will regret it!  I did cry a couple of times, so tissues are a must.

5/5 ✰
This was an eye opening read and it made me laugh and cry. We follow Grace through her ups and downs and watch her grow. I want to caution those of you that may be sensitive towards certain material. There is a trigger warning for rape in this book. Overall I think the book was clever and fun and sad and surprising all at once. Let me just tell you when I got to one specific part, I did not see it coming. I would recommend this definitely
DNF. While the writing was okay I found the start slow and hard to get into. I look forward to try more from this author.
TRIGGER WARNING: This book deals with rape

This book was absolutely wonderful. It was beautiful and empowering and it was just so good. It made me cry, laugh, and my insides all warm and giddy. This book is definitely going to be a favorite of 2018. It was just spectacular and so moving. I loved it and I probably will talk about it for days to come.

The Leading Edge of Now stars Grace Cochran. She is officially moving to New Harbor two years after her father's death. Her uncle Rusty took a while to sign the guardianship papers. Grace isn't too happy about being back in New Harbor. She lost her best friend and almost boyfriend last time she was there and the memories are still fresh and painful. We soon find out that her old best friend, Janna, broke off their friendship when she found Grace kissing her brother, Owen. Grace was heartbroken at what happened, but still had a strong connection with Owen, but when Grace was raped, she blamed him and never looked back. Now back in New Harbor, Grace has to mend her friendship and confront Owen. When she finds out that he was not her rapist, Grace goes on a path of self-discovery and healing to find out who really broke her.

This book was riveting and powerful and absolutely beautiful. I loved it and it was such a great story. All of the characters were so good and you instantly fall in love with the little beach town of New Harbor. You will find yourself rooting for Grace the whole way. The rape topic was handled very well and I am so proud of the author for easing readers into the situation like going into a cold swimming pool. The topic was handled with care and the story was so amazing. This book was absolutely wonderful and I can't wait for it to release in September! This was one of the best coming of age stories I have read this year.

Final rating: 5/5

I received an arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
When you walk into a book that seems like it's going to be just another young adult contemporary romance story, you get completely blown away by what's to come. Because, while the romance is a little heavy in the beginning and still serves as a plot device throughout the book, this is really about a girl who faces the aftermath of sexual assault. And right now, this story feels more important than ever.

Grace is a stronger YA protagonist than most. She's hardened by her past, but she never truly wallows in it or lets it own her. She isn't the stereotype of characters whose actions define them, who never move past what has happened to them. She even asks whether she'll always be "The Girl Who Was Sexually Assaulted," but she's strong enough to answer that question for herself: <i>no</i>. While she's unraveling the case, she has no problem admitting that she isn't okay, that she's not in the best place - but she's "carrying on," which is the best she can do in the moment.

The rest of the characters are good in their own ways. The love interest obviously serves a purpose to the romance subplot, but he's also a genuinely good person who tries to help Grace uncover the assault because he cares. Much like every other character, he acknowledges the situation for what it is, and I think that's important to see in this novel. Grace questions whether it's her fault, and Owen says it's his fault for leaving her alone that night, but ultimately they, and everyone around them, have no problem accepting the issue for what it is and blaming only the rapist, which isn't always what happens. But rather than seem like an impossible situation, this book is churned in a way that can give hope to girls: that they will have a community to support them, that reporting cases is the right thing to do, that they won't always be That Girl, and that they are not alone.