Cover Image: The Last Wish of Sasha Cade

The Last Wish of Sasha Cade

THE LAST WISH OF SASHA CADE by Cheyanne Young was archived before I was able to read it. I do still plan on reading a finished/printed copy when I get a chance.
So I'm very mixed about this book. I thought the author really built this beautiful world, and it was so well written and I could really picture things. It was also a really emotional book, and was hard hitting. I was close to crying a good chunk of the novel. I think the novel had good pacing, and it didn't feel stilted. It kept you engaged and wanting to read more. I think my main issue is that the love interested didn't have much substance. And that he was mainly there so that Raquel could get over her grief, and I felt like that did Elijah a disservice. But I also think that Raquel wasn't very well flushed out. I felt like Sasha, who passed away, was a bit more interesting then Raquel. But overall this book was a solid read, and I did enjoy it. Highly recommend it.
I received an eARC via Netgalley; all opinions are my own.

4.5 Stars

I was connected to Raquel and Sasha from the very beginning.  When Sasha died, it was heartbreaking and made me cry.  I loved the premise of this story.  Each of the adventures Sasha sends Raquel and Elijah on had a purpose and you could tell how much Sasha put into making this journey happen for them.    It didn't just show the good side to everyone either.  No one is perfect and you see some times when the characters make poor decisions.  This showed very real sides to the characters.  There were so many moments in the book that made you smile, laugh and cry with the characters.  There were some times when a couple phrases were repetitive in multiple places that brought me out of the story a little but overall this was a fantastic read.

I would recommend this to anyone who reads tearjerkers, love stories (friendship, romantic, family), adoption stories and contemporary.
Thank you so much NetGalley for the review.

Even though this has been out for a while,  it still is one of my favorites and I can't believe I neglected to update my thoughts on this!
I agree with everyone else who said that this is PS I Love You Friend Addition and I actually like it like that! There really aren't that many good books out there about friendship and I love how Sasha and Raquel's friendship was the star of the book.
This book begins with death of Sasha Cade. We feel the sadness of her death through the grieving of her best friend Raquel. Her grieve feels so sharp that I couldn't help but join her with my own tears--is that a sign of a touching opening scene and compelling story? I think so. Then, thankfully, we are not left in the grief. Instead we get to experience the joy and moving forward in life with Raquel as she learns that her best friend planned a scavenger hunt over the course of her last few weeks of life. It isn't just us that gets to go on this adventure with Raquel--Sasha had another secret and his name is Elijah.

We never got to "meet" Sasha before her death but over the course of the book we get a chance to love her and enjoy her friendship as we dip and dive through her memories.

The Last Wish of Sasha Cade was well done--it made me love all of the characters and hope for their best,
This one was sad. Think PS I Love You but with friends. While it wasn't 100% my cup of tea, I did enjoy the book and it's characters.
The Last Wish of Sasha Cade is a sad yet uplifting book. Young does a great job at bringing all the emotions you'd expect from a book about the death of a best friend (Sasha) and the other (Raquel) coming to terms with it. A good young adult read.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed reading this. An interesting story with fun characters. Well written.
Rating 3.5. I put off reading this because I knew it would be sad. It reminded me a lot of P.S. I love you but friendship addition. And while it was heartbreaking it was also hopeful and lovely. I LOVED the friendship between Sasha and Raquel. Sasha was so charming and I loved the adventure scavenger hunt she left her friend. I feel like I would do something like this if I knew I was dying. I like how the friendship and not romance was the star of this book. Even though Sasha is dead for the entirety of the book I still felt like she was right there along side Rocki. Her personality was so alive and vibrant and everyone needs a friend like Sasha in their lifetime. I think the only thing I didn't care for was the needless drama towards the end of the book. I think it took away from the story a bit. Overall, it was a heartwarming read about friendship and how to carry on living after the loss of a loved one.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Such a poignant and fantastic (two adjectives I wouldn't normally group together) read. This was just a great read.
It was a tear-jerker story. The friendship of Rocki and Sasha knows no bounds, I've ached for their love and loyalty. I hate that I was hoping in the end that Sasha is still alive but I guess that's the beauty of this story - no expectations. This is a good story for all ages. Though I have a hit or miss feeling about this. The plot or intention for this is great, however, there are certain situations where it lacks, some justification on the back story and insta-love.
Young Sasha Cade is dying and has one last wish: For her best-friend, Raquel, to keep Elijah a secret and for them to complete the scavenger hunt, that Sasha devised, together.

If you are looking for a tear jerker, then look no further! The Last Wish of Sasha Cade is the teenage version of the movie P.S. I Love You, where friendship and love will survive the biggest hardships, even death.

The Last Wish of Sasha Cade is real as it gets, and shows that the grown-up world isn’t all rainbows and unicorns. Life comes with heartbreak and tragedy, but have no fear, life also comes with love and fortune. You just have to open your heart to both.

Get the box of tissues ready, because The Last Wish of Sasha Cade will have you reaching for them out of heartache and pure joy! I highly recommend to teens and adults alike.

Dani's Score out of 5: 📚📚📚📚📚 (5/5)

*** This review will post to my blog on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 ***
I read this book during a very difficult time of my life due to the passing of a family member . So i actually didn't finish it. what i did read was amazing and very emotional which is why i stopped. However i truly feel it was due to my own situation and not the book as it had been one of my most anticipated.
Even though Raquel's best friend, Sasha, has recently passed away from cancer, Sasha has found a way to live on: through a scavenger hunt style list of memories for Raquel to revisit. On the journey with her is Elijah, a friend of Sasha's that Raquel knew nothing about, who may be able to help her overcome her grief, but is it the right time and place for love?

I loved how Sasha was a such a vibrant, huge part of the story even though she was physically absent for most of the story. I was really invested in her and Raquel's friendship and I felt the grief Raquel felt for Sasha, especially in the first few chapters, was incredibly well-written and realistic. Even though it's clear Raquel and Elijah's relationship is heading towards romance, there's a nice balance between that storyline and Sasha and Raquel's friendship. I did feel like the ending was a bit rushed with all the loose ends tied up a bit too quickly. I would have preferred a more open ending, but at least all my questions were answered.

The Last Wish of Sasha Cade is a sweet, sometimes sad, and somewhat predictable story of friendship and family, recommended to readers who enjoy Morgan Matson and Brigid Kemmerer's YA contemporary novels.

Thank you to Cheyanne Young, Kids Can Press and NetGalley for an advance copy to read and review. All opinions are my own.
The Last Wish of Sasha Cade was a hard one for me to read. My mom had just gotten diagnosed with cancer and I was half way through this. So it was a more emotional read for me that I thought it would be. Overall it is a great sweet story full of friendship, love, heartbreaking and enduring moments. I really enjoyed it and the ending was just what the reader was looking for. I laughed, I cried I laugh/cried at same time. A great book that is perfect for fans of sweet YA.
“The Last Wish Of Sasha Cade” by Cheyanne Young was a beautiful and heartbreaking read. It was a story of friendship, of hope, mixed with the promise that those we love never truly leave us. The characters were believable, and the storyline flowed perfectly. There is not enough that I can say about this book. Be sure to check it out! This was my first read by Author Cheyanne Young but it definitely will not be my last!

*I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*
I tried to pick this book up twice, sadly I could not get into the story or connect with the main character. I will try to read this again in the future and edit my review if I am successful. I did, however, recommend this book to a friend who told me she really loved it, so that gives me hopes that maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this book at the time.
Thank you to Netgalley and Kids Can Press for providing me with a copy in exchange for my honest review.

Full disclosure, this has to be a flail review because I have no better way of expressing my love for The Last Wish of Sasha Cade.

From the first page, I knew I would love this book. One of the benefits of having such a small cast of characters is that each one of them can have the chance to shine, and they all did in this book. The bonds between characters, whether friends or relationship or parental, were so well developed and all the emotions absolutely killed me.

I loved Sasha immediately. Even though she passes, her character is still so developed because of the adventures she sends to Raquel. Their love for each other was so clear, and I am honestly kind of jealous of their dynamic. Best friends are so rare, and Sasha's passing made me so sad for Raquel. I sometimes have a hard time liking characters who we don’t meet in real time, but I didn’t have that problem with Sasha, because the flashback chapters were clearly written and weren’t hazy.

As a narrator, I liked Raquel. She wasn’t super complicated and didn’t have many hidden facets, but I admired her honesty in her feelings and intentions and how she genuinely cared for everyone in her life and tried her best to fight for them, Elijah especially. She added balance to the adventures planned, between Elijah’s caution and Sasha’s crazy plans.

The romance was sweet without being too much, and I liked how Raquel and Elijah bonded over Sasha’s treasure hunt. As a reader, it was fun to experience Sasha and Raquel’s time together from the outside, as Elijah did, and learn about her in the same timeline as he did.

Family! Both Sasha and Raquel’s families were active in the story in a non-toxic, supportive way, which I love. I think YA has some issues with family, specifically Absent Parent Syndrome in many books, and it was refreshing to see a narrator learn that she has a set of people (besides friends and partners) to guide and assist her.

5/5 stars from me because cuteness! If anyone reads The Last Wish of Sasha Cade, send me a note! I’d love to hear what you think!
When I first picked this one up I was thinking it would be a mash-up of A Walk to Remember and P.S I Love You. Well, sorta. And my expectations weren't wrong exactly. It was a tale of a friendship that lasts beyond a lifetime and the ways one copes with such a significant loss.

I really enjoyed the friendship between Sasha and Raquel.

I really did not enjoy much else of the book besides that. It just became way, way, WAY too bleh. I don't really even know what to say about the "romance" between Raquel and Elijah and how it really fit into the overall plot. I just did not enjoy it on any level.

That said, it was ok. I think teens would enjoy it. Enough said.
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: Death and mention of cancer symptoms. Up till the point I read.

I received this E-ARC via Kids Can Press and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I heard about this book through Twitter. It sounded like I would enjoy it. Unfortunately I didn’t.

There isn’t really much to say. I just didn’t like it. The writing style, the plot, and the characters.

This just wasn’t for me. Still recommend.