Goodbye Cruller World

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Aug 2018

Deputy. Donut. Mystery. Those three words had me hooked! Plus the adorable kitten on the cover was impossible to resist!

I liked seeing how Emily came up with a great way to showcase her donuts at a wedding and how she went to work to see who sabotaged her donuts and tried to put her shop in a bad light.  I like how Emily was able to think through what had happened and to figure out what had really happened .  I enjoy this series and look forward to the next book.
This is the second Deputy Donut mystery and I enjoyed this one as much as the first. Once again we take a trip to Fallingbrook, Wisconsin, where Emily and her father-in-law run Deputy Donuts. They have been hired to put together a donut wall at a wedding. When the groom at a wedding collapses and dies of poisoning, Emily is a suspect. DCI detective Yvonne Passenmath was focusing on her and the bride, Jenn. She seems blinded to all other clues and evidence as she tries to pin the murder on one of them. As Emily and Tom ask questions and snoop around, we come across many other suspects. Throw in some odd and quirky characters and I enjoy the visit.

The plot moved along nicely with some great moments. I love how well Tom and Emily work together. With Tom being the retired police chief, he is smart and can usually pull out information form the investigating officers. I had a sneaking suspicion who the guilty party was and I was right, but was not positive until the end. The showdown was well done and had me on the edge of my seat. I enjoy the relationship developing (very slowly) between Emily and Brent, especially as she is a widow who very much loved her husband and Brent was his partner. She is taking things very slowly and right now they are just good friends. Missy and Samantha, Emily's best friends, round out the regular cast. They are great together and bounce things off one another. Overall, I enjoyed this story and am looking forward to the next Deputy Donut mystery. The publisher, Kensington Publishing, generously provided me with a copy of this book to read upon request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
Emily Westhill owns the Deputy Donut Shop, with her business partner and father in law, Tom, in the town of Fallingbrook.  It keeps them busy and serves as a catharsis from the grief over losing her late husband, who was a police officer.  Business expanded to wedding clients and Emily and Toms first wedding involves creating a donut wall with the wedding couples favorite donuts.  Unfortunately, stuffing his face with the donut delights causes the groom to fall to his demise and the investigation begins.    How the groom died puts Deputy Donuts under scrutiny and in the middle of the investigation and Emily has to clear their name and find the culprit who messed with her donuts before her new livelihood and life meet their own demise.
I live the chemistry between her deceased husband's former partner and Emily.  They have become very close as friends, but is it something more?  Will be interesting to see if it evolves in the next book.
This is a cute cozy set around the small donut shop and book 2 in the Deputy Donut Mystery series.  Emily, her father in law and pet cat Deputy Donut agree to cater a wedding where the bride isn't sure she wants to get married but her sister is so against the wedding she goes through with it.  When the groom is found dead of poisoning after eating one of the deserts Emily works to find the killer and save her shops reputation.  Good mystery but I enjoyed book one, Survivor of the Fritters a little more.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
After I read, GOODBYE CRULLER WORLD, I had to go back and get the first book! I loved everything about it. A fabulous mystery, great cast of characters, and yummy food . . . how could it get an better? A big Brava to author Ginger Bolton!
Goodbye Cruller World is a cute cozy that takes the stereotype of donut loving cops seriously.  But don’t think having a sweet tooth and running a shop that sells donuts to Fallingbrook’s finest prevents Emily Westhill from having a gift for detection.  Unlike many cozies, Goodbye Cruller World is populated by good cops and first responders who know their jobs, rather than bumbling ones (minus one particular single minded detective out to get Emily).  It’s a nice change.

Emily’s company is hired to provide snacks to her neighbor’s wedding.  Unfortunately, or fortunately (as Roger turns out to be a horrendous jerk), the groom is murdered on his wedding night - a victim of crullers dipped in what only looks to be powdered sugar.  In a departure from standard cozy fare, Emily is not the main suspect, despite providing the donuts and discovering the poison.

As you can expect, there are plenty of red herrings, as well as clues pointing to the killer.  While Emily’s imagination at times goes overboard, on the whole she is a clever and practical sleuth with plenty of friends to back her up.

Is Goodbye Cruller World perfect, no, but it is entertaining and refreshingly unique.  My biggest regret is none of the donut shops here have offerings as creative as Emily Westhill’s Deputy Donut.

4 / 5

I received a copy of Goodbye Cruller World from the publisher and Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

-- Crittermom
What a great return visit to Wisconsin and the Deputy Donut shop. Emily Westhill and her former father in law Tom are very inventive in how they are growing their business, Nearby business owner Jenn Zeeland desires a donut wall, filled with the two favorite donuts of her and her husband to be, they accept and build and bake quite a wall. As the wedding festivities draw to a close, Emily is present when a fine white powder, and unconscious groom are discovered. The small town atmosphere is very well drawn in this story and the characters are starting to have their own unique personalities.
I loved this book. I'm already totally in love with Emily, Tom, Dep, Brent, Misty, and the rest of the gang. I'm glad I didn't have to wait a whole year before the 2nd installment in the series came out!

5 stars isn't something that I give lightly, but this book really drew me in and kept me entranced. The characters are quirky, well-rounded, complex, and full of unplumbed hidden depths. The settings were great. The lodge was described quite well and it was easy to imagine the setting and how the rooms and hallways were set up. The plot line was exciting and moved along at a decent pace. I did have an inkling of the killer before it was revealed, but I was never *sure* it was that person until it was revealed. There were plenty of good red herrings.

I'm definitely looking forward to even more in this series and from this author!
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. The character of the Dep the cat brings comic relief to the story. Being the Mom of 3 rescued spoiled cats I could relate to her relationship to Dep. Emily is the widow of a police officer and though he died a while ago she still misses him. But Emily seemed to get alot of his detective skills and puts them to good use. Emily and her Father-In Law Tom own Deputy Donuts a donut shop. Next to them is Jenn and her shop called Dressed to Thrill. She owns it with her sister Suzanne. Jenn is getting married to Rodger and Emily is asked to present a donut wall filled with both bride and groom's favorite donuts. Rodger seems to be a very controlling man at the wedding so it is no surprize that someone adds poison to one of his donuts. Emily takes it personally and with the help of Dep and her friend (whom even Dep knows is in love with her) Brent (also her late husband's partner) a detective, she goes to find the real killer. Unfortunately Yvonne from the State of Wisconsin comes in and makes things hard on Emily because of past issues. This has a little something in it for any mystery lover, and the story and characters flow very well. I want to go back and read the previous book. I hope to see more of Emily, Brent and Dep in the future.
Title:  Goodbye Cruller World

Author: Ginger Bolton

Series: Deputy Donut mystery book 2

Chapters: 32

Pages: 295

Genre: cozy mystery

Rating: 4 stars

In Goodbye Cruller World by Ginger Bolton the second Deputy Donut  Emily Westhill is faced with another  murder and a state police detective with a grudge is determine to pin it on her and her donut shop. But then has her sight set the bride  Emily who's brand new husband was murder.
Emily's friend local police detective Brent doesn't want her investigating because of what happened last time.  But Emily wants to clear her friend's name.  Brent doesn't want anything to happen to her.  But as always Emily doesn't listen.
I enjoyed this second Deputy Donut novel.  With the 911 dispatcher and retired police chief turned donut owners. Emily owns it with her father-in-law along with a matchmaking cat named Dep.  I loved the donut recipes in the back of the book.  Like most cozy mysteries this was a quick and fun read. I look forward to future  Deputy Donut mysteries.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Deputy Doughnut, Emily Westhills' doughnut shop is doing well. So well that she starts catering events with doughnuts. Except someone does at the wedding reception and her delicacies come under suspicion. Trying to clear her name and reputation, Emily dives into trying to solve the murder. Another fun read in this series!
Goodbye Cruller World by Ginger Bolton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Normally, Emily's eyes tend to glaze over when hearing prospective brides go on about their wedding plans. But when the owner of the clothing shop, Dressed to Kill, asks Emily to design a donut wall for her reception, she's immediately sweet on the idea. With the help of her business partner Tom who also happens the former police chief of Fallingbrook she hangs the treats from dowels on the wall so guests can help themselves.

But that night, when the groom ends up on the floor with signs of poisoning, Emily suspects someone has tampered with her treats. When the groom dies, there's no way to sugarcoat it: she's got a murder on her hands. Despite a list of suspects as long as the guest list, Emily vows to find out who created the killer confection to save her shop's reputation and keep the bride out of handcuffs. She'll have to move fast before the poisoner strikes again and someone else takes a powder.

The characters are well-rounded, complex, well-developed, and full of hidden depths which makes them all seem very believable and lifelike. The author describes the characters and all the places in town so well you can picture everything in your mind as you're reading the book. The mystery is well written with plenty of red herrings throughout the book and lots of clues to sift through while using the clues to eliminate the suspects. The author ties up all the clues in a surprising and action packed conclusion.

I liked the relationships that Emily has with her former father-in-law Tom and her two best friends Samantha and Misty. I hope that a romantic relationship will be happening between Emily and Brent since there seemed to be one starting to surface in the book. I disliked Yvonne Passenmath in this book as much as I did the in the first book, I hope the author doesn't have her in the next book. I love how Dep can tell what kind of person someone is and that Emily takes the cats behavior into account about the different people who come in and out of her life. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this wonderful series.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley and Kensington Books for my honest review.

Princess Fuzzypants here:  Emily and Deputy Donut return.  This time Emily is catering a donut wall at a wedding.  When the groom is poisoned by an arsenic laced cruller, Emily finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation.  The same jealous detective is brought in to head the team and of course, she salivates at the thought that Emily might be guilty.
When she was on the local force, she took shortcuts and jumped to the easiest conclusions.  Her style has remained consistent.  It is a good thing Emily is not only innocent but has many friends on the police force, including the partner of her late husband.  She had better watch out that she doesn’t burn her donuts.  There is a lot of unreleased heat in that friendship.  It will be fun when Emily and Brent finally twig to what is obvious to everyone else.
 Back to the plot, the murder victim is a totally unpleasant guy who thinks blackmail, bullying and deceit are all reasonable tactics.  Naturally, there is a line up of possible suspect but with our chief detective lasered first on Emily and then on the bride, it is up to Emily and her friends to dig deeper.  Emily’s deep connection to the law prevents her from doing something subversive or stupid.  She still gets involved but within the parameters of common sense.  In fact, once she stumbles upon the truth, she tries her best to extricate herself safely.  She had better.  She has duties to perform for her kitty, Deputy Donut.
Even though I suspected the killer from the start, there were plenty of twists and turns to keep me guessing.  It’s a light and entertaining read.
I give it four purrs and two paws up.
Goodbye Cruller World is the second book in this delightful donut shop mystery series.. This book can be read as a stand alone. I do recommend the first book as it is delightful as the second. The author does a excellent job of providing the backstory from the first book Survival Of The Fritters.
The Donut shop is in Fallingbrook Wisconsin and sounds charming. The small town charm adds interest and fun to the story.  The description of the donuts will send you to your nearest donut shop.
Emily is a smart protagonist who does not take  no for an answer.  Her adorable cat Dep, is a fun part of this series.  He is a cat with an attitude and as all cat lovers know he rules the house.
  Part of the charm of the book is that you will  dislike Detective Yvonne Passenmath.  She is a nasty detective who focuses on finding evidence to convict innocent people  and refuses to listen to reason.  The sleuth was very well crafted and had many twist and turns along the way. I did not figure out the ending and that is a pleasant surprise for this avid mystery reader.
I give this second in series a 5 star rating for a well crafted story and excellent characterization. I look forward to the next in series. Thank you  to Net Galley and the publisher for the ARC. My  opinion is my own. This is a delightful addition to the world of cozy mysteries.
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Weddings and donuts, that is a new tradition I would love! Emily and her father-in-law, Tom, create a donut wall for the wedding of Jenn, the owner of Dressed to Kill. The bride’s favorite donuts on one side and the groom’s favorites on the other. It is a big hit with the guests and the groom makes a regular pig of himself eating one after another. That is until he ends up dead on the floor. Seems someone has added their own secret ingredient to some of the pastries. An item that was made to kill. Everyone at the reception becomes a suspect, especially the bride. Emily knows the connection to her confections is going to be bad for business. She knows Detective Passenmath would love to pin the crime on her and Tom. She has no choice but to try the puzzle out the killer herself.

Tom and Emily own Deputy Donut, named after Emily’s tabby cat. Tom is the former police chief of Fallingbrook. His son was on the force too and Emily is a former 911 operator. The shop has a police theme complete with an old squad car for deliveries. These characters stole my heart in Survival of the Fritters. The nice thing about Deputy Donut is that police and fire personnel hang out there. Some key suspects also stop in a time or two, in addition to all the regulars. It is a unique place because Deputy Donut, the cat, has his own lair to watch over all the all the happenings. I really enjoy how the author has set this up as we get to know the characters better at this special gathering place.

The mystery this time had so many suspects but I set my sights on someone very early in the story. Then I followed along with Emily and let me tell you the author built everything up to a very exciting ending. I was right about the who and most of the why, but boy I was on the edge of my seat at the climactic scene that brought everything together.

The story is set in my wonderful state of Wisconsin and the author described everything wonderfully. The closest thing to Deputy Donut that we have nearby now is Dunkin’ Donuts, but growing up we had a wonderful bakery that reminds me in many ways of Emily and Tom’s shop. Great donuts and a great gathering place to find out all the latest news about town. Crullers are some of my favorites as are powdered sugared (I may be looking at those a little closer now). 🙂

I can’t wait for my next visit!
Goodbye Crueller Worldby Ginger Bolton is the second book in the Deputy Donut Mystery series.  Emily and her father-in-law are hired to do a doughnut wall for a wedding.  It seems to be going well until the groom dies from suspected poisoning.  The additional characters in this book are not quite as eccentric as the first book.  The mystery was on the weaker side since I guessed the murderer early on.  Still I love the idea of a former cop owning a doughnut shop and will give a third book a try.  I would like to see Emily moving forward in her own life rather than pushing her friends into romances.
Second in the Deputy Donut mystery series.  Emily and Tom are preparing a donut wall and donuts for Jenn the owner of the Dressed to Kill shop next door.  The day before the wedding Emily overhears an argument between Emily and her sister Suzanne about canceling the wedding.  Emily briefly talks to Jenn and learns she has no plans to cancel the wedding although she does have some doubts about her fiancée Roger.  Emily first meets Roger as Tom and Emily are doing the initial set up of the donut wall at the reception, and he is rude and abusive.  When Emily returns later to put up the donuts he is just as obnoxious.  As Jenn joins the reception after midnight, Roger is found “passed” out under the donut table only she begins to believe he is not drunk but has been poisoned as she finds a mysterious white powder on the donut table.  Emily calls 911, Roger later dies, and the murder investigation begins. Brent (Emily’s deceased husband’s partner) starts the investigation but once again the state investigators are sent in and the Yvonne takes aim at Emily once again.  Emily is not actively searching out the culprit but is paying close attention and trying to save Jenn (the widowed bride) from being the scapegoat.  This was an engaging read and had many opportunities to go in different directions as to who the killer was.  Love Emily’s matchmaking attempts and hope that she and Brent will continue to get closer and become more than friends.  I will definitely get the next in this series.
Emily is back and is ready to forget about how she was involved in a murder investigation a while back, however another murder takes place when she brings dessert for a wedding. And a cruller from Deputy Donuts coated with arsenic is the culprit.

Her friend, Jenn is getting married and asked Emily and Tom to bring donuts to the reception for a late-night snack. The problem is the groom ends up dead. Emily, Jenn, and others are searching for the killer and hope to find to him/her before it's too late and someone else takes a bite out of death.

I like this story a lot and the development of the characters is getting very interesting. I want to see where Emily's matchmaking of her friends goes and also her "friendship" with Brent, I think it will develop more as the series continues. Of course Dep, the cat approves of her pal Brent being in their lives more.

Come on Ginger Bolton, let's see book #3!

#goodbyecrullerworld, #netgalley
The second book in the deputy donut mystery series was a quick and easy read.  I loved the characters, but would like to see the relationships (romance) grow a little faster.  But the mystery was good, and it kept my interest during the whole book.  Definitely recommend !