The Cumberland Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jan 2019

This book was an excellent read! I love that this book is a wagon train book. There is romance but there is also much knowledge about Indians, wagon trains and the great land of the East. I enjoyed many of the characters but my favorite was definitely Kate! This book kept me engaged from the first page to the last. There was so much to love about this book!
A book like this one is why I fall in love with Historical Romance all over again with every additional book I read in this genre. I’m thankful for the many generations that came before us whose courage and bravery greatly exceeded the limitations they faced each and every day. I’m so very thankful for our fictional heroine, Katarina Gruener, who chose to keep a journal of her experiences and that our hero, Thomas Bledsoe, was most content discovering new places on the back of his horse surrounded by the nature that he so loved. I love Kate’s character because she’s inquisitive which makes her a natural born storyteller and she’s fearless under the most harrowing circumstances. And Thomas is the quintessential hero because he’s brave, intelligent and highly skilled and our country was founded by men who are just like him. I really enjoyed these fascinating characters and the wonderful storytelling of this fine author. I read an early copy of this book provided by Barbour Publishing through NetGalley and all opinions expressed in my voluntary review are completely my own.
This is a rich novel that takes place in the  post revolutionary time period. It follows Kate and her family's guide as they move West. The tale that unfolds will leave you turning the pages long into the night.
Shannon McNear takes her readers on a true adventure in The Cumberland Bride.
I loved every minute of it. The rich detail and descriptions had me on the trail with the families as they traveled west.
Kate encounters all kinds of danger and scout Thomas is there to rescue her.
Somewhere along the journey, they lose their hearts... to each other.
Will they survive the constant danger?
You have to read the book. No spoilers from me.
The Daughters of the Mayflower books have all been great.  I enjoyed The Cumberland Bride by Shannon McNear, book number 5 in this collection.  This is also the first book I have read by this author.

As the Gruener family moves west to settle in a less populated areas and make new discoveries they encounter dangers and mishaps.  Kate, the eldest daughter, who is an inquisitive young women wants to learn everyone's story.  Especially Thomas Bledsoe who is hired to deep them safe on the journey.  He has secrets he doesn't want to share.  There is action and adventures, challenges and romance.

I received this book from NetGalley and all opinions are my own.
It's not every day you get to adventure into the wild lands of America before they were settled and civilized. That's exactly what you get from The Cumberland Bride. McNear's descriptions of the journey along Wilderness Road screams of authenticity as the daily travel is very well outlined and discussed. There is no shortage of danger for Kate and the rest of the group as they cross the untamed wilderness with Thomas Bledsoe as their guide. Kate is inquisitive to the point of distraction for Thomas and her almost constant slew of accidents cause him to fear that Kate will never survive the journey to Gruener's new home. Thomas unwittingly becomes Kate's rescuer through her many mishaps and a tentative bond is formed.

I had a fabulous time tromping across the Wilderness Road with Thomas, Kate, and the other members of their party. Kate shows courage and dignity in spite of the circumstances that continually heap upon her. She leans on the strength of God in the face of her fear, never giving up faith. Kate has a strength of character that was probably a requirement to survive but lends a depth to the story at the same time. She is no hysterical female flailing about while waiting on someone to come rescue her. Although circumstances continually put Kate in harm's way, she is never weak, even when no one would blame her for showing a measure of weakness.

Thomas has long since thought that God abandoned him, aligning himself with doubting Thomas from the Bible. However, it is the circumstances that pushed him away that will ensure his being in the right place at the right time when Kate needs him most. He tries to keep his distance from her, but it is soon evident that avoiding her completely will be impossible.

There are often times when we feel as though God has abandoned us, just as Thomas felt. What is hard to accept is that God never went anywhere, we did, and all we have to do is return to Him. The Cumberland Bride is a great story of faith, redemption, and courage in the face of your greatest fear. I enjoyed that I could not predict what would happen next. I had an idea of the climax and I was accurate in my assumption, but the events leading up to it were a constant mystery. The plot moved at a steady pace that never felt slow or overly rushed, it was just a nice progression from event to event. The amount of research that went into this book in order to accurately document the foliage, terrain, characters, and the journey itself deserves a commendation. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical, adventure, and romance in their books.
Step back in time to life along the Wilderness Trail in April 1794 in the latest of the Daughters of the Mayflower series. This fifth book in the series by Shannon McNear brings to life the struggles and difficulties our ancestors had to endure as they moved westward.

The story focuses on the Gruener family and Thomas Bledsoe, a solemn, sober young man who will serve as their guide on the move from Virginia to Kentucky. The Gruener family’s oldest daughter, Kate, catches the eye of Thomas, but he’s sworn off getting entangled with a woman that might wind up crying over him. A bit on the rugged side, Thomas spent some time as a captive with the Shawnee tribe and as a result is fairly comfortable in both worlds.

Kate, inquisitive and not overly shy, makes a point of enquiring about everyone’s story. She feels that each person’s story makes them who they are. As a result of her curious nature, she prods Thomas a bit beyond his comfort level. Can these two young people find a common ground and make a life for themselves?

Colorful and filled with historical detail, this novel is a great read. I enjoyed the particulars of travel along the trail as well as the heightened sense of adventure detailed through the use of Indians, the perils of travel, and discontent among the travelers.  Readers who enjoy historical fiction, particularly from the post Revolutionary War era, will enjoy this book.

This ARC copy was received from Barbour Books and Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review. The above thoughts and opinions are wholly my own.

#TheCumberlandBride #NetGalley
I really enjoyed this story and the bit of suspense towards the end.  This story takes place during a less known period of American history.  It would have been nice to have a little more background on the Whigs, Tories, and Hessians from The Revolutionary War period.  I think it would have made some of the plot a little stronger.
The books in the Daughters of the Mayflower series keep getting better. The Cumberland Bride is my favorite so far. I enjoyed the perilous journey taken by Thomas and Kate, and because of the level of historical detail, at times I felt as if I was along with them (although I'm really glad I wasn't!). I also thought the pacing of the romance was just right--not too soon but not so far into the book as to be boring. My only complaint is that I wanted to know more about a few things.

I look forward to the next book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, and while I wait, I think I'l check out a book by Shannon McNear!
The Cumberland Bride was an interesting book that kept a great amount of history along with enough fiction to keep my attention.  While a number of books have been written about the journeys that were taken by pioneers to new lands, this is the first that I have read that did not go west of the Mississippi River.  I appreciated the history that was incorporated into the book and the different experiences that these pioneers faced.  The usual details were not in this book which I also appreciated.  It was great to have a different perspective coming more from the single daughter than just a basic subjective view of the travels west that is so often part of fiction.  This is a definite read and I look forward to the other books from this series.
The Cumberland Bride by Shannon McNear is excellent both in spiritual and historical lessons. Thomas reminded me in some ways of the Prodigal Son. I loved that the author showed how God works in our lives for our own good, drawing us to him and how scripture applies to every part of life. I enjoyed reading the history of the Kentucky pioneers since my ancestors were of German English decent and settled in Kentucky by the 1770’s. This book may have been close to their own story. The characters were well developed, descriptions of the scenery and the hardships of the journey through the wilderness were exceptional.  I hope to read more historical books in this excellent series by this author and others. My thanks to the author, Barbour Books and Netgalley for allowing me to read, enjoy and review this Christian Historical Romance. In the Daughters of the Mayflower Series.
This book almost seemed like a fairytale. Not that there's anything magic or supernatural, just that Thomas almost seems like the long-lost prince who must rescue his peasant princess-to-be from the wicked villain. I loved it. I cannot say enough about how unique it is that each book in this series is written by a different author. It gives a unique voice to each book and Bride, but all are united with themes of adventure, romance, and faith in God. Each book has at least one character who has lost their faith and the danger and impossibilities they face lead them back to God.
Readers get to see significant character development in both Kate and Thomas, and the story is perfectly paced. It is also clear that Ms. McNear has done in-depth research into the time period, as well as Cherokee and Shawnee culture. Good research makes for a great story. This one definitely kept me reading. This series is truly a delight - I recommend it for any lovers of historical fiction, even if you're not typically the romance type, but especially recommended if you are. This series is also completely clean romance - nothing beyond a few stolen kisses.
Great, historically accurate, interesting read. Some parts are heartbreaking but others make you laugh out loud.
I’ve enjoyed every book in the “Daughters of the Mayflower” series.

I loved Shannon McNear’s addition to this series.  She did some great research and incorporated historical facts to make this story believable.  (Be sure to read the author’s notes at the end of the book.)  Kate was a delightfully imperfect heroine and Thomas was the perfect match for her.  There’s quite a bit of action and adventure all through this book and I wanted to keep reading to see how things were finally going to work out for this couple, and for Kate’s family, as they made the dangerous journey to their new home in Kentucky.

This is a clean, sweet book with no foul language or embarrassing scenes.  I’m looking forward to reading the next book in this series and I’ll also be watching for Shannon McNear’s next book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Love and suspense on the Wilderness Road as Thomas guides Kate and her family through the Cumberland Gap to Kentucky. In 1794 after the Revolutionary War, thousands of settlers poured into the western lands inhabited by Native American tribes. This is the first novel I have read by this author and I am impressed with her research as well as her ability to make her characters come to life. Having personally visited the Cumberland Gap and viewed the awesome scenery, I enjoyed the author’s descriptions which I think are spot-on! This entry in the Mayflower Brides series is one of my favorites—highly recommend it.
The Cumberland Bride is a great addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series. Set in the colonial era (1794) and Indians, how could you go wrong? The story took me just a little bit to get in to, but once I did, it grabbed me and I didn't want to put it down.

This is the first book I've read by Shannon McNear, so now I'm going to have to check out her other books. I highly recommend The Cumberland Bride as a stand alone or as part of the Daughters of the Mayflower series.

I received this book from Barbour Books via NetGalley. These are my honest opinions and views of the book.
The Cumberland Bride is the fifth book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series.  It can be read as a stand alone, as the book are tied together through a connection in the Lytton family tree.  This series is unique because most of the books are written by a different author. I have read all of the books so far and have enjoyed being introduced to authors that I was previously unfamiliar with.  The Cumberland Bride may be my new favorite of the series. It is hard to choose between this novel and The Captured Bride, by Michelle Griep.  Both follow a similar premise: boy meets girl, boy and girl travel through wilderness, boy and girl face hardships, boy and girl fall in love, but the stories themselves differ in time period and are both marvelous.  If you are in the mood for a good romance, this is the book for you!  I read it in less than 24 hours and found it nearly impossible to put down! The characters were likable, the descriptions vivid, the story line was engaging and well researched.  This book would make a great movie as I felt transported in time and like I was travelling along the Wilderness Road with the Gruener family.  Shannon McNear hit this one out of the park!

The Cumberland Bride will be available for purchase from your local or online book retailer October 1, 2018.

Thank you Barbour Books and Net Galley for the free copy of The Cumberland Bride.  The opinions expressed here are my own.
Thomas was partially raised by Shawnee Natives in his teens. He Guides to a pioneering group of settlers, with Kate's family in it, over the dangerous Cumberland Gap Trail, into Kentucky. Kate & Thomas fall in love. Then a Shawnee raiding party kidnap Kate & take her back to their village. Can Thomas use his knowledge of the Shawnee to rescue Kate? How does God use this experience, to draw Thomas into a relationship with Him? How does Kate become the Cumberland Bride?
     Shannon McNear has created an Outstanding, & Engrossing Christian Historic Romance! You Really Need To Read "The Cumberland Bride: Daughters of The Mayflower Book 5". I couldn't put it down, until I finished it. I'll definitely be checking out SM's other stories!
     I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley, & voluntarily chose to review it.
The Cumberland Bride is a decent read. I like the setting and the time period. The author depicts a group traveling to Kentucky via he Wilderness Road in 1794 and the adventures and mishaps that occur. Romance flares between the trail guide and one of the pioneers. Kate is somewhat annoying She is very Inquisitive and nosy, gets into scrape after scrape, and is sometimes a pain. The author has her develop trouble with her feet, then almost drown, them get captures by marauding Shawnee. She's the only traveler that mishaps happen to, which is far fetched and implausible.
THE CUMBERLAND BRIDE by SHANNON MCNEAR is a historical novel that takes place in 1794
Katarina Grace Gruener is a young woman who loves to write in her journal and is always asking the people she comes across for their stories. When her father hires Thomas Bledsoe to lead their family to the land he has acquired  in Kentucky, Thomas finds Kate and her relentless questions irritating, especially with his responsibilities towards the families he is leading on the wilderness trail.
Thomas had been captured and adopted by the Shawnee Indians, and is not quite sure where his loyalties lie, whether to his sisters and family or to his adoptive Shawnee family.
The novel is full of twists and turns and the characters are believable.
It is an interesting story with good Christian content.
I was given a free copy of the book by Barbour Publishing from NetGalley. The opinions in this review are completely my own.