Juana and Lucas: Big Problemas

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2019

Juana and Lucas is a good series for readers transitioning to full chapter books.  It is one of the series in the growing genre of illustrated chapter books.  The characters are relatable and kids can easily identify with the feelings and situations.
Juana is a happy, independent little girl who loves her dog, Lucas. She has become use to a life with just her and her mamí but worry creeps in when her mamí’s relationship with Luis, mamí’s boyfriend changes and they begin planning a wedding.

Juana’s honesty about her feelings over the changing relationship will engage readers going through a similar situation. Juana Medina also shares the beauty of Bogotá, Columbia, the countryside, the city and the wonderful foods eaten which will provide readers with a view into this beautiful city.

There is Spanish words sprinkled throughout the story and there are simple, colorful illustrations that show readers all that little Juana sees.

Thank you Netgalley for the digital copy.
Thanks NetGalley for the advance digital copy in exchange for an honest review!
Juana loves her family, her dog Lucas, and her life. Things change when her Mami stars dating a new man, Luis, and we follow along with her through all the changes that come along. As an early chapter book for kids I thought this was a solidly good selection. It's got some words in Spanish throughout as well which was great representation for Latinx communities that are having these blended lifestyles. I loved that this was an own voices story.
I haven't read the first book in the series, but this one I absolutely loved. It's darling, you can see the child's perspective clearly without any adult interference.

There are a lot of basic Spanish words thrown in and I couldn't love this more! Yes, you or the child read to might not understand every Spanish word, but if you read the whole sentence or the whole paragraph it makes sense because the context helps. It's a great book to read to kids who are interested in learning Spanish.

It's also a great book to read to kids dealing with a mother or parent's second marriage, especially if the other parent died. I liked that it didn't focus too much on the absentee father, but slowly showed Juana's changing feelings towards her new step-father and towards the imminent move to another house.

I read the book on a black and white Kindle, so I don't know what the coloured illustrations look like, but I am sure they are lovely. Even the black and white ones were beautiful. It's a great chapter book for kids, but it can be equally enjoyed by adults.
ADORED this one! Juana is a spirited voice in the world of chapter books. BIG PROBLEMAS follows her as she adapts to her mother finding love again and remarrying. Excellent writing many children will enjoy. BIG PLUS: it's set in Colombia! I'll be reading the first one in the series after this! Thanks to Candlewick Press for a digital galley.
This early chapter book tells the story of a girl, her best friend, and her changing family. Juana's adventures are entertaining and relatable for young readers.
I love this series!  This book addresses Juana's mother getting remarried.  Juana is worried about all the changes that come with her new family.  She later grows to understand that new and old do not always make for perfect, but her new life is pretty perfect after all.
I love this book! It will be perfect for read aloud with my third graders especially because about half of them speak Spanish! I loved all of the Spanish sprinkled in and especially loved the Colombian culture throughout the book!

One of the greatest strengths of this book is truly the illustrations. They are fantastic!

I loved how this book tackled a real life situation a lot of kids go through when their parents are separated, divorced, or widowed. It is so important for kids to see themselves in literature - and not just their skin color or nationality but even more so importantly in the type of family they have!

I would highly recommend this to any parent or teacher!

I received an advanced copy through NetGalley. This is my honest opinion.
This is the second book in this early chapter book about a young school girl in Bogata.

And big changes are coming, because her mother is going to get married, and she isn't sure about that, as most children would be.

And in between all this, we get Spanish vocabulary thrown in, so that you can figure out what the word is because of the context.

THe pictures of Juana and her dog Lucas are delightful.  The images of the city of Bogota is great, and this is a much more engaging book that the first one in the series.

Recommend it for introducing simple Spanish words, as well as learning about another city in the world.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Juana and Lucas: Big Problemas by Juana Medina is a cute read about a girl, her best amigo and how they handle a big life change.  Juana is happy with how her life is, then her mom goes and meets a new guy.  Juana has to deal with all the emotions that come along with this shake up to her normal life.  Ms. Medina does a great job telling this story and a wonderful job illustrating Juana and Lucas’s interactions and surroundings.  I think Ms. Medina did a very nice job of entwining Spanish language and cultural references about Bogotá.  It added to the text.  I thoroughly enjoyed this early chapter book.
What a great first chapter book! It's going a have a wide appeal I am sure! The story takes place in Bogota, Columbia and has a sweet little girl named Juana narrating it! This is the second book in the series, and in this one, Juana learns her mother has a love interest (her own father died when she was a baby). She's not sure how she's going to like this new man, it's always been just herself, her mom, and her dog Lucas. She also has a close extended family on grandmas and cousins. I think kids will relate to her very easily, and the cultural references will broaden their horizons. Good as a ESL book, too. Illustrations are fun to look at!
I really enjoyed this early elementary chapter book about Juana, a little girl whose mother is going to get married. It addresses all the anxiety of a child in a situation, with the overall message that a parent's love for a child will never diminish, even when family members are added. The illustrations are charming, and I loved that Juana refused to be a flower girl because she thought the role was insipid. So great!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.
This is the humorous, heartwarming follow-up to the Pura Belpré Award–winning Juana & Lucas.

Juana is a perfectly happy and well adjusted little girl. It’s just her and her mami and her beloved dog Lucas. They live  in the beautiful city of Bogotá. Now everything seems to be changing. Mami is styling her hair differently and there seems to be s new amigo named Luis with whom she has been spending a LOT of time. Luis is kind and teaches Juana about things like photography and jazz music, but sometimes Juana can’t help wishing things would go back to the way they were before. One day the inevitable happens,  Mami announces that she and Luis are getting married and that they will all be moving to a new casa. This is extremely disconcerting to Juana. As this sweet story of family progresses, Juana learns some things will never change, like how much Mami loves her.

The book is based on the author-illustrator Juana Medina’s own childhood in Colombia. I think readers ages around  6-9 will find this second book in the series to be a joyful read.
I await the third book.
Juana and Lucas: Big Problemas is the second Juana and Lucas story set in Bogota, Columbia where Juana lives with her Mami and dog Lucas. This cute story is told in English with a few words in Spanish, that flowed well together.
In this story, Juana is not thrilled that her Mami has a new amigo in her life and this is a problem.
I enjoyed the Colombian culture and Juana’s silly thoughts  as she works through this change in her mostly happy life.
The illustrations were adorable! This is a great young chapter book for children, introducing hispanic culture and family dynamics, such as a parent dating someone new.
Thank you to Candlewick Press and NetGalley for this advanced copy, my opinions are my own.
LanaLCole@yahoo.com
I really liked the way this book was told. We are seeing more diverse books for young children and books that are in both English and Spanish or with a little Spanish thrown in but this is the first I've seen that is geared for a little older audience. I think this is a good book for anyone, but I think it specifically fills a niche for slightly older first or second generation kids who may be losing their cultural and linguistic heritage.
A lovely sequel to the first. This story follows Juana’s story as her mother remarries. She worries about all of the changes that will happen and remembers her father.
Enjoyed book 2 and felt it had showed personality and humor a little more with Juana. Elicited a bit of wanderlust, would like to picnic with the family, can’t wait to see how things fare in book 3z
This delightful chapter book gives a realistic view of a young girl coping with the changes in her life resulting from her mother’s remarriage. Set in Bogota, Colombia, there are enough details to make it authentic, but also enough universal details to make the story recognizable to a wide range of readers. I know it is authentic  because I lived in Bogota for two years. That soup described in the story is truly amazing! Colorful, varied illustrations add to the joy of this story. I highly recommend it.
Once again, Juana Medina has made a beautiful book! The code switching between English and Spanish is seamless and makes for really easy reading. People not familiar with the Spanish words will have plenty of context. The illustrations are great and pair perfectly with the text--a lovely continuation of a wonderful series!
Light, whimsical artwork balances this rather serious, real-life story of a little girl getting used to the idea of getting a new dad and moving house. It takes place in Bogota, Columbia, so the cultural references are a good peek into Hispanic culture (I want some of that soup!), while the story itself is a universal one. This book would be good for any early reader going through big family changes.