Juana and Lucas: Big Problemas

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2019

Once again, Juana Medina has made a beautiful book! The code switching between English and Spanish is seamless and makes for really easy reading. People not familiar with the Spanish words will have plenty of context. The illustrations are great and pair perfectly with the text--a lovely continuation of a wonderful series!
Light, whimsical artwork balances this rather serious, real-life story of a little girl getting used to the idea of getting a new dad and moving house. It takes place in Bogota, Columbia, so the cultural references are a good peek into Hispanic culture (I want some of that soup!), while the story itself is a universal one. This book would be good for any early reader going through big family changes.
In Juana and Lucas's next adventure they face a great deal of change. Juana learns that her mother has a new friend and things are going to be a little different now. With the help of her friends, family and best buy Lucas, she figures out all out!
I love that this early chapter book is set in Bogata, Columbia, written by a native of the city.  And I love the authentic voice of Juana as she processes changes in her world in a childlike way.  I also like the smooth integration of Spanish terms into the text, without unneeded translation.  However, this also makes the book less successful for ELL students whose native language isn't English.  That being said, I do highly recommend this for most beginning chapter book readers.  Review based on an ARC through NetGalley.