Cover Image: The Lost Coast

The Lost Coast

I did not read for three days in order to avoid this book, which is pretty bad for me. I just found it tedious. The discursive style was not for me and while the Greys were described physically, I had trouble keeping them apart personality wise and Danny’s mother made no sense personality or motivation wise. The whole move to CA thing made no sense. Danny was also really, really self-centered. The ending bothered me, as well, for being very dismissive in the same way that an early character death (first few pages so not a major spoiler) was treated more as opportunities lost for Danny than a person. I did not like the characters and a book like this requires that to keep me involved as the plot was very, very light.
A beautiful story of self-acceptance and family. I love Amy Rose-Capetta's fantasy offerings, but this one could be her best yet. The story is packed with so much heart and honesty. I was so sad to say goodbye to the characters.
A witchy, magical realism story. This book has very lyrical writing. The chapters were short and they read fast. It was really diverse with all types of representation in gender, body type, race and sexuality.  It was a story about finding oneself and acceptance.
This reminded me of the Raven Cycle which is a strong recommendation coming from me. My favorite part was that Rush has synesthesia. As someone who also has it, albeit a different form, this made the book for me.
This book was a great queer representation with a fun twist of witches mixed in.
The setting was beautiful and the descriptions had me in those woods with the witches
The Grey's were definitely a weird group but they had each other's backs and had a connection that was on a deeper level all being queer of some sort. It was refreshing to hear different queer representation.
This was enjoyable but definitely not a favorite. I got bored quite a bit.
Another book that I DNF'd, I just couldnt get into the story. I wanted to read it because it was out of my comfort zone, unfortunately I just didn't connect with the characters.
A bit confusing and also slow at times. If the plot had been moving a bit quicker, I think I would have enjoyed this more.
A beautiful and mysterious book about six queer witches in the California Redwoods. When Danny moves to Tempest, California she meets the Grays: a group of witches who have called Danny for a special purpose. The writing is absolutely magical and so descriptive. The characters are written very well- they are all outsiders, but somehow they all fit together and complement each others’ strengths and weaknesses. There was lots of representation for all kinds of queerness (e.g. non-binary characters, lesbian characters, bisexual characters, etc.), and it was interesting to see how all these types of people were represented in one group! It was a mystical and whimsical journey, full of diversity and plot intrigue.
This was exactly what I needed to read, exactly when I needed to read it. It's an incredibly wholesome story of queer teenage witches, which of course took me by surprise as I don't tend to read blurbs before jumping in when I know an author.

The closest thing I had to this kind of story was the Toil & Trouble from 2018. But it was unaccountably lovely to have a complete novel sized story to sink into.

Danny is out main character, but this story is told from so many different points of view: The Greys as a group, the students at their high school--also as a group--the ravens that fly overhead. It cuts into points of view of both Imogen and Rush, and Imogen and her sister Haven. Imogen, strangely enough, is missing for a great deal of this novel.

It is lushly described amongst the redwoods of Tempest. And it is just so queer and representative in multiple different ways from the host of different main characters.

Rush is queer and fat, Leila is ace-spec and I read her as non-binary with she/her pronouns, Hawthorn is black and bisexual. Oh, and Leila's not-quite-a-partner June is a Filipina lesbian with chronic knee pain.

The flipping back and forth of time periods did take a little bit of getting used to, but once I did the story flowed very nicely for me.
Queer witches are normally up my alley but for whatever reason i could not get into this. I even tired with the audio to see if it would work and I just couldnt get into. Which made me sad but maybe i will try again later
I enjoyed this book for the most part and enjoyed the queer rep as well. However, the magical realism was a little much for me, but that is a personal preference. I thought I would love this story so much more. I would recommend but only to a certain person.
I liked this! Enough to finish it, at least. It had a bit of a Raven-cycle feel. I did feel like the story could have been better developed and overall I wasn't really into the characters, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!
Danny has just moved to Tempest, California with her mother. She’s quickly adopted into the Grays, a group of friends who explain to her that, actually, they called her to Tempest with a spell. The Grays, as it turns out, are all witches, and they’re missing a member. Imogen was a light in their lives, and now she’s gone. Danny finds herself finally fitting in somewhere, with these four girls who all identify as queer, spanning across many different orientations, and it feels good to be so wanted and accepted. She begins to worry, though, what happens if she can’t find Imogen? And what happens if she does?

A dark, murky mystery chalk filled with magic and authentic queer experiences. Capetta constructs the story through shifting perspectives, jumping back and forth through time as she moves from narrator to narrator. Though slightly confusing at times, this style increases the mystery of the novel. Each character has a distinct voice and a unique perspective on both their queerness and their witchcraft. Recommended for high school readers in all libraries.
Thank you netgalley and publisher for the early copy!

I read the first few chapters and decided this was not for me. Thanks for the chance to review it!
I absolutely loved this! It was incredibly atmospheric and sucked me right into the story. I loved all the different characters and their dynamics and the way Amy Rose Capetta wrote these magical queer girls was right up my street. This may not be for everyone but I personally adored it.
I felt a little disappointed by this book. The premise was fascinating but it was just a little too dark for my taste (but I'm also a wimp when it comes to stuff like that so people who are okay with dark fantasy would probably like it).
I loved the representation and diversity of these characters so I commend the author for the effortless way each character's identity was revealed in the narrative. I've seen this book described as whimsical and I don't disagree, though it's a bit more fantastical than I typically read. It was a sweet book, but not groundbreaking.
I am kind of conflicted about this book. I loved the diverse characters, the beautiful writing style and the overall idea of a book about queer witches in high school. But it mainly just confused me from the start, there were parts where I had no idea what was going on and I had to reread whole chapters and even then I was still a little lost. The multiple povs didnt help with this because just as I was connecting to the story or to the character it would suddenly change again and jump to a different part of the story.

I might try more from this author because of the beautiful writing style but I dont think my expectations will be as high as they were for this book.
I would rate this book 3.75 out of 5 stars.

This was a really enjoyable read.

The story was quite slow and meandering but in a very intentional way that drew you into the story and the world.

The setting was fantastic, the diversity amazing and the characters great.

I've heard this described as a sapphic Raven Boys and honestly that's a great description.

Highly recommend.
This book has just dragged me out of a reading slump that lasted for several months. A beautiful story of magic, friendship, and found family. I adore the characters in this book and I loved just how queer they were, and how much kissing they participated in. I was intrigued by the mystery of what happened to Imogen, and was drawn in by the budding relationship between Danny and Rush. The Grays are a wonderful bunch, they're just the kind of friends I wish I had. I've never read a book about witches before, and I'm glad this was my first. I would definitely read The Lost Coast again, and will recommend it to others.