Archangel's Prophecy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Jun 2019

Didn't get the time to download or ready in the restricted time,.,,
Another fabulous, action-packed, sexy installment in the Guild Hunter series! Nalini Singh just never disappoints. And I'm so happy that we got back to Elena & Raphael in Archangel's Prophecy. But... THAT ENDING!!! I need the next book asap.
It feels like these books are building up to something and I'm afraid to see what it'll lead to in the end because I don't want this series to end. These characters and this story are not one to miss.
NUMBER OF HEARTS: 5
Oh my poor heart!! So many emotions in this book. So many questions!! I was honestly afraid to read (listen to) this story because I had seen that it was a cliffhanger ending. But my need to be back in the Guild Hunter world was to much. I will tell you that if you don’t like cliffhangers at all wait until the next book comes out before you jump into Archangel’s Prophecy.

Archangel’s Prophecy is a wild emotional ride that will leave you wanting more. Ms. Singh is such an amazing writer. She knows all the right heart strings to pull to get you emotionally invested then she pulls the rug out from under your feet leaving you wondering what the heck just happened.  Add in the extremely talented Justin Eyre and you have the perfect world! I love to have Ms. Eyre narrator this world for me.

Man alive I am not sure I can’t wait for the next installment (I mean I don’t have a choice) but it will be a rough year waiting to find out what happens next

Disclaimer:
I purchased this audio book and this review is my own opinion and not a paid review.
I read this ARC during the summer of 2018, but I can't remember exactly when at this point...

This was such a great book, and I really did enjoy it. The ONLY reason why it's not 5 stars is because I was so nervous about what was going to happen to the characters that it actually gave me anxiety! But I guess that means the writing is fantastic, right? This was a fantastic addition to a must read series for me. I will definitely make sure it, and the rest of the series, are available in my library.
I have always said that I would read anything Nalini wrote because I was pretty sure she could make a grocery list exciting.  So when I read Archangel's Prophecy the first time and didn't enjoy it, I figured it had to be me.  It happens occasionally, even our favorite authors may not resonate at certain times.  I'm not sure what was the reason for my struggles the first time, but I did recently re-read the Guilt Hunter series and gave Archangel's Prophecy another shot.  While still not my favorite in the series, I enjoyed it considerably more than my initial read.

I'm not thrilled that the book ended on such a cliff-hanger.  It's so unusual this far in a series so I can only imagine that it is setting the stage for some epic changes in the world coming in Archangel's War but I wish I knew going in and was prepared for the disappointing ending.  The whole Elena being encased in a chrysalis is very strange but I'll reserve judgement until I see if there is a logic reason for that in the next book.

At some point I hope Lijuan is truly killed because I'm kind of over the fact that every other book is focused on a battle with her.  I get that she is pretty much the supreme bad-ass, but it would be nice to move on.

As always after every book in this series, I'll just be over here begging for Bluebell's book in the meantime.
After finishing ARCHANGEL'S PROPHECY all I can say is wow, just wow. That was one heck of a nail-biting and gut-wrenchingly intense read that led up to the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. I feel like my insides were put on the puree setting. Honestly I had to wait on this review a good long while after finishing the book because I felt too raw to string coherent thoughts together. Even this far removed from reading, I'm still struggling, but I'll do my best. But the ending has me all out of sorts. In fairness the events of the book did continually warn the reader, but I held out hope until the bitter end that author would somehow put a twist and change things before the end. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for the next book for that much needed twist to come (I hope) but the wait will be agonizing.

Getting past the ending. The book was utterly fantastic, simply put. Elena and Raphael are still dealing with all of the insane effects from the Cascade, but the stakes have been raised even higher with the advent of this horrible prophecy looming over their heads. It's a doozy and dominates a lot of the focus of the book, but there's so much more intertwined through out too. I truly have to give props to the author in her ability to masterfully craft such and amazingly emotional story that affected me so much. I truly adore these characters and each book feels like returning home to much loved family.

All in all ARCHANGEL'S PROPHECY was one heck of a phenomenal read. I make have wanted to chuck my kindle at the end, but I loved every single moment of the book. My hat goes off to Nalini, and I will be counting down until I can get my hands on the next book. Bravo Ms. Nalini, Bravo!
Nalini Singh is the New York Times’ Best-Selling author of the Psy/Changling and the Guild Hunter series.  As a fan of both of those series I was thrilled to read Archangel’s Prophecy, book eleven of the Guild-Hunter series.  This is a fantastic series in which angels, vampires and mortals are inter-related and co-exist in a modern day version of our world.  This story picks up with our heroic couple dealing with the devastating effects of the Cascade, a world-changing shift in power that happens once every millennia.  The Cascade and its effects upon the archangels has been an ongoing and building story-arc over multiple books.  In the past we’ve seen how our protagonists must navigate the challenges when major power shifts effect both allies and enemies.   The archangels rule in a feudal balance of power and these shifts have led to new alliances and ongoing battles as alliances fall.  This book is a building book which means there’s no clear resolution at the end and it’s one of the first books where we see the consequences of the Cascade as it begins to change characters we’ve come to know and love.   This is a good addition to the series but I definitely recommend that readers tackle the series in order because there are a lot of moving pieces in this world that only make sense with context.
This was an enjoyable installment of this series but not one of my favorites. There is a lot going on here. Much of it was good. I found the case they were working on to be interesting and there were a lot of appearances of the side characters which is also good. There is a major plot twist in regards to Raphael and Elena and I'm just not sure how I felt about it. I went back and forth on it throughout the book and by the end was pretty much not loving it. This book ends with a cliffhanger of sorts and their overall world in chaos.

This is definitely not a standalone and is for people who are caught up on this series. Overall I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. I will, of course, be here for the next book though.

**ARC provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
I enjoyed this book even though the ending is a pretty big cliff hanger.  I look forward to the next in the series and cant wait to find out what happens to Elena.  The only complaint that I have is that I am ready for the final show down with the Archangel of China and I feel like the author had been drawing out the is she dead or in hiding aspect for a little too long.  I think fans of the series will really enjoy this next installment though as it is a solid entry in the Guild Hunter Series.
,.............................This has been a long awaited book and I guess we will wait some more since this one end in a cliffhanger. Not my favorite thing. I would have just waited longer for the book if it ended better. Hope the next one makes up for this disappointing book. .......
I enjoyed this novel from cover to cover.  The characters were engaging and the plot was quite captivating.
Oh, wow, this book was absolutely amazing! I mean, so much happened, and of course, it's a Elena and Raphael-centric book, which you know means it's going to be awesome! It is a few years after Archangel's Heart, which was so great, that Elena and her family have gotten comfortable with their new, well, not so new now, grandparents!

This book had two frames, I'd guess I'd call it. The big, series changes events with the Cascade, which is really important, and adds urgency to the other, the smaller mystery that Elena is investigating. What with Elena loosing her wings, she's on a time crunch to find and stop the bad guy before she possibly can't. Because this has never happened before, and they don't know what's going to happen. It was a very tense book!

So one very important thing is revealed in this book. Well, there were a few things, but this one was a big game changer. Like, it was a piece of information that explained things so well. It was a piece of information that changed how we looked at this. That this is why things are why they are. And it explained so much!

The ending was just so very evil! Such a cliffhanger, and it's terrifying. It's not an action or life or death one, I'll let you know so you don't get too worked up, but it's an important "change our lives" moment, and I just want to know what's going to happen next!

I just absolutely loved this book, and I'm just so darned eager for the next one!
Intense paranormal romance at its finest…

I couldn’t wait to get back to this extraordinary, passionate world Nalini Singh has created. The Guild Hunters are warriors, both men and women, with hearts softened by love. They are strong when they need to be and soften for their family, for their loves. This is fantasy, paranormal romance to satisfy every craving…

“He was deadly and he was beautiful. Most of all, he was hers.”

Elena and Raphael are back! I love this compelling duo that love and support each other so completely. Imagine having the fate of the world on your shoulders while trying to sustain a relationship at the same time. Oh and did I mention Elena’s immortality, her very life, is in jeopardy? You can feel Raphael’s worry and need to shelter Elena warring with her need to follow her heart. To protect. To be free to be who she is. A warrior, just like him…

Oh yes, this was a mesmerizing roller coaster of a ride as they, and their brethren, had no shortage of skirmishes in a battle for survival. The heat smoldered rather than burned, as the author’s light and magical touch built a complicated story I couldn’t get enough of. I wanted this story to never end and I got my wish, as this story is not done. So many unanswered questions and a wait for the next story I may not survive. Unless I start this series at the beginning as I stalk the shelves…
As I LOVE Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling novels, I thought I'd give this series a chance even though I'm not a huge fan of angel romance novels.  What makes Ms. Singh such a fabulous writer is that she is able to take some main-stream and sometimes overdone subject matter and create a world that is so interesting and memorable.

This novel in particular, I believe, takes readers back to a couple that has previously already had a novel (possibly two) about them. But a big change is coming their way and they needed another story to explain and confront how this will impact their lives as a couple.

As a new reader to this series, there was a LOT of content that I was not familiar with and a lot of couple brought in that I assumed was from previous novels in the series, but it was not so confusing that you couldn't follow and enjoy what was happening.  I will definitely be going back to read more about this wonderful world where Archangel's have been Earths protectors for a long time.
Nalini, it’s possible that you and I may need to break up. I’m still considering it. I just can’t do this anymore. How could you do this to me? It’s not okay. ::sigh::

This book was everything. It was too much. It gave me all the feels. Too many feels. It sounds really strange, I know, but I don’t like to read books that I think about for days after I finish them. I don’t like the angst I feel. I surely don’t like the angst I feel right now.

Before I jump into my review, I want to mention that I listened to this book on audio. The narrator is fucking amazing. Justine Eyre is the narrator of the entire Guild Hunter series. She is phenomenal. At first I was afraid to listen to it because Elena and Raphael are so incredibly important to me as characters that I didn’t want to hear their voices brought to me by someone that just couldn’t pull it off. I needn’t have worried.

Like I said above, this book gave me so many feels, I don’t know where to start. So I’ll just jump in and try to make some sort of sense. Archangel’s Prophecy picks up about two years after Archangel’s Heart ends. The Cadre has been dormant for that long and now it has awoken. Weird shit starts to happen and it begins and ends with Elena. All of a sudden she’s in a backslide. That’s right…instead of coming into her immortality, Elena is becoming mortal again. What’s even worse is that she’s becoming even weaker than she was when she was actually mortal.

That’s not her only problem. The Archangel Cassandra who is a true Ancient has started to awaken from her Sleep to warn Elena about the prophecy. The one where Elena must die for the “Other” to live. Elena is just as kick-ass as she’s ever been and she’s not one to take a prophecy that shows her death lying down. She’s not about to leave Raphael either. Especially when she can see him becoming more “other” himself as she becomes weaker.

Raphael won’t accept that Elena will die. He simply won’t. He knows exactly what he will become should Elena die. Even with Elena telling him that he will be the only one able to stop Lijuan, he knows he can’t live without her. As the days go by and Elena’s feathers begin to fall, it becomes apparent that he may not have a choice.

If Elena is going to die, she’s going to die protecting her sister and her niece. Someone tried to kill her brother-in-law and are after Beth and Maggie. When Elena finally discovers who is after them, she can barely hold up her sword, let alone fight the man that is living for nothing but vengeance.

Throughout this series, Elena’s love for her wings is absolute. I don’t know if I can forgive Nalini for grounding her. There’s a scene at the end of the book that absolutely wrecked me. Elena without wings at this point isn’t Elena at all. Then Raphael and Elena realize what the prophecy actually is. They both don’t want to accept it, but do they have a choice with Elena taking what could literally be her last breath?

After the torture that was the ending of this book, I am highly doubtful that the next Guild Hunter book will even be about Raphael and Elena. I have a feeling that it is actually going to be about Aodhan. Leaving no answers about Raphael and Elena.

So yep, I’m bitter. Even with that bitterness, Nalini’s writing is still out of this world. So is this series (for the most part).

Rating: 4.25 out of 5.
Elena and Raphael are back center-stage in this eleventh installment of Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series. I always love coming back to spend some time with our power couple that started it all. Elena is still the beloved mortal-turned-angel of New York, and consort to Raphael, our increasingly power archangel of the territory.

Unfortunately for Elena, it seems that things are going wonky with her angelic development. She is not healing correctly, is injuring herself more easily, and seems to be shedding feathers left and right. But because Elena is the only mortal-born angel that anyone living can remember, they don't exactly have a knowledge base to work from when it comes to her development, or lack thereof. Plus, the Cascade is rearing its head again, and no one knows what wonky things it will throw into the mix.

So when Elena's sister and family is seemingly targeted by a vampire serial killer, Elena starts racing the investigative clock to find the offender before her increasingly mortal body fails her. The suspense aspect of the secondary storyline was a good diversion and helped advance the plot when we weren't focused on Elena's health and the Cascade.

One of my favorite aspects of this series has become The Legion - I really like how they are changing (and reverting), and becoming individual personalities... but still work as a collective. I would love to see some books with Legion heroes in the future.
Why does Nalini Singh hate me? Why?!? This was such an amazing book. I swear I got to the end and thought I was going to die. It’s possible I’m dead even now and writing this from hell, where Nalini Singh left me after she RIPPED MY HEART OUT. ::SOB::

Elena and Raphael have been waiting two years for something to happen with the Cascade. Since their return from Lumia, all has been quiet. It’s driving Elena crazy. When her brother-in-law is attacked in his home, Elena knows she needs to figure out who wants to harm him so she can ensure her sister and niece are safe. So of course things with the Cascade would escalate again. A sinkhole filled with lava opens, and Elena starts hearing an ancient voice inside her head. With war looming on the horizon, and ancients coming awake, Elena and Raphael need to be stronger than ever…. but she becomes more weak – more mortal – and her wings start dropping feathers. She must race to discover who wants to harm her family before she no longer has the strength…because this time she may not survive.

Archangel’s Prophecy is the 11th book in Singh’s Guild Hunter Series. As much as I love many of her Psy-Changeling books, the Guild Hunter series is my favorite. I love the gritty violence and dark undertones. This novel is grittier and darker than most. This is a hard novel to review, as there’s a lot going on and I don’t want to give any spoilers. Many threads from previous books in the series are tugged and start to come together here. We see some clarity in areas, while others remain vague and obscure. There were times this was difficult to read, but I can’t deny I was swept up in the tale, and anxious to see where it would end. As for the ending…there’s a cliffhanger. I have faith in Singh, but I admit I’m anxious for the next book. I wish we didn’t have to wait so long after that ending.

Even though it ended in a cliffhanger, this was such a fabulous book it ranks toward the top of the series for me. Seriously. Such a fantastic book, with such a horrible cliffhanger! Singh never fails to pull me in, and I was swept up in the intrigue of the plot just as much as Elena’s struggle to save her wings.

4.5 out of 5
Singh's long-running series is a favorite among fans of paranormal or urban fantasy.  The plotline of Archangel's Prophecy is an interesting addition and a new twist; unfortunately, however, there is an inordinate amount of imagery and detail that really drag the story down.
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Erica – ☆☆☆☆
Archangel's Prophecy is the 11th installment of the Guild Hunter series and cannot be read as a standalone. However, if the reader is well-versed in the series, it could be read if they missed a few installments.

Narrated primarily by Elena. The Hunter/Angel investigates an assault on her brother-in-law, Harrison, which took place in front of the little sister, Eve. This bridged the gap in the family, between the father and his three surviving daughters and granddaughter. A few scenes complete the family, with Elena's maternal grandparents making an appearance. The pain over the loss of her sisters and mother is revisited as she tries to move forward with her remaining family members.

While investigating Harrison's attack, drawing Elena down many paths, her fragile immortality slowly reverses to even less than the strength of her previous mortal hunter body.

While the investigation is in the forefront, Elena's struggles are the focus for the reader. To be honest, I was disinterested in the investigation taking so much page-time, only because I couldn't concentrate with the fate of our heroine at risk. It became annoying background noise that wouldn't shut up.

To be entirely honest, I don't believe I'm in the minority here. It took everything in me, after reading the beginning, not to completely skip the entire middle and just read the end. It was stressful, and as the Harrison investigation continued forward, turning more convoluted and confusing, even the why of it all seemed beyond irrational, I just wanted to get through it to the ending.

One of my major issues is how Elena is in failing health, yet continues to investigate, as if there weren't so many others who could do a competent job, better even, since she wasn't on the top of her game. I realize this all connected in a string of A to B to C to D and so on, but I felt this bizarre that with Harrison healing, her sister and niece safe, why did Elena have to go after his assailant? It felt as if Elena's issues were outweighed by nothing of importance, when her life was on the line. This felt out of character by everyone in her circle. Raphael was dealing with the Cascade, but to just ignore Elena's issues didn't compute with me.

Yes, I'm talking around the plot, simply because I refuse to spoil it for readers. The book ends on one heck of a cliffhanger. I do believe Archangel's Prophecy was pivotal in the series lineup and necessary for fans to read.

Hopefully the wait isn't long, as I'm more than curious to see what happens next for Elena and Raphael. I'm also confused, after reading every single word, so much of it went right over my head, none of it connecting, as if the author needed to go from A to P, but don't worry if the other stops along the way don't actually connect – just read over them. I'm not one who needs to be spoon-fed, but I found everything to be chaotic and disjointed, with many things made to seem important to have no importance, and things barely mentioned to be catastrophic.

Archangel's Prophecy was a buildup from page one, but we don't truly get to experience what it built toward, leaving me confused as to what the author's future plans are for the series, because it all just seems out of nowhere and left field.

Sarah – ☆☆☆☆☆
This series has been an auto-buy from the beginning and I’ve enjoyed the somewhat predictable pattern the books have settled into. Until this one. Book 11 brings readers back to Elena and Raphael, where Elena is slowly losing her immortality and her body weakens. After so many books where Elena gains power and grows into her role as Raphael’s Consort, this book packs an emotional punch from the beginning.

I love Elena in this book. It’s been a few books since she was the protagonist and I love the growth we see in her here. Her emotions are powerful and raw as she deals with the escalating changes to her body. Raphael’s emotions are closer to the surface than we’ve seen before and it is obvious that Elena has succeeded in making him more than a little bit mortal. I don’t want to spoil any of the plot but there is a scene at the end that might be one of the most romantic moments I’ve read in a very long time.

Running parallel to Elena’s personal struggles is her investigation into the murder of several vampires and a related attack on her brother-in-law. The investigation is exciting and the clues pull together well, but I didn’t get into the investigation as much as I have in previous books because I was more focused on Elena’s weakening body. Elena struggles to balance her roles as both consort and guild hunter. In this story she clings almost desperately to her identity as a hunter – even when her actions are ill advised, and she ends up putting herself and others at risk.

Every time I pick up a new Nalini Singh book I remember how much I love her writing. There are some exceptionally beautiful passages in this story and I had to stop a few times to savour the language. Readers probably won’t need to have read all of the previous ten books to appreciate this one, but they will need to have at least read the first three that are specifically about Elena and Raphael. However, this book marks a huge turning point in the series and finishes on a cliffhanger that left me in a bit of a state. Anyone wanting to continue the series will need to read this book.