Flamingo Lane

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jan 2019

I didn’t realize this was an installment in a series when I requested it. I’ll have to wait to read. E first book before giving this one a go.
“Flamingo Lane” is super suspenseful well written thriller. Don’t let this one pass you by. It’s an awesome cat and mouse tale with an amazing story line and very believable characters. Chance is a hitman who is very emotionally unstable, stung by love and disenchanted with life. His next target is the woman who has rejected him. The author has a wonderful talent for establishing and nurturing  the relationships of all the characters. I look forward to reading more books from this author. I highly recommend this book. Advance reader copy was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
WWOOOWWWW! What a story... at first I did not think I would really be able to dive deep into this novel but I am sure glad I did! Amazing story line and the main character was truly a character that you have to really listen to! All of the emotional aspects were present in this book. Must read!
Mexico was once a haven for Faye Lindstrom but turned into a nightmare when her lover, a high ranking drug lord, decided she was of more use in front of a camera.
Recently reunited with her family in Indiana after several years, Faye is trying to get her life back together.  She accepts an offer to house sit for her friend, popular author William Dieter, who is attempting to repair his marriage and finish a new novel titled Flamingo Lane.

Faye travels to Florida and settles in to a comfortable routine under the protective eye of local police officer Dave Kershaw.  Leaving her past behind can’t be so simple, not when her ex wants revenge and his reach extends far beyond Mexico.

Chance is a hit man hired to kill Faye, but this isn’t another job for him — there is a personal score to settle.

I realized when I started reading Flamingo Lane that it felt like a continuation of a story and learned that it’s actually the second novel in a quartet.  The first novel, Fever Tree (which is mentioned in this book), covered Dieter’s story from Mexico to his arrival in Florida.

While Applegate does offer enough back story that readers will not feel completely lost reading Flamingo Lane as a stand alone, I think I would’ve enjoyed this more had I read Fever Tree first.  The plot held my attention but I never felt invested in the characters, possibly because of the introduction I missed.  Overall, this is a decent southern noir novel with a predictable plot.
This is a complex read that moves from different characters at such pace I struggled to keep track.

In the mix there’s a hitman, a young woman who has been a sex slave, but, who is now holed up and trying to heal. I just couldn’t get into it and found my mind wandering as I read.
Apologies, it just didn’t suit me at all.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to preview.

Okay.  So I love hitmen/assassin books.  I was excited for this one.  I also love when female characters are the "bad guys"/targets.  I'm just not a fan of female characters in books in general and tend to stay away from any book that has a female lead character in it.  So, I thought for sure this was my holy grail.  And...it was.  I loved this book!  I loved everything about it.
I can't wait to read more from this author in the future and I am confidently recommending this one to everyone!
Yesterday, I finished Tim Applegate’s “Flamingo Lane,” a novel in which writer William Dieter reconnects with an old friend while working on his new novel, “Flamingo Lane.” Dieter’s previous book, “Fever Tree,” was a huge success. I can’t say whether this is also true for Mr Applegate’s prior novel of the same title. If any of his other characters are so obviously inspired by actual persons is hard to tell, and not just because of the usual disclaimer that they’re not.

So, Dieter is in Crooked River, Florida, working on his book. He has gotten back into contact with an old friend he met in Mexico years earlier, Faye Lindstrom. Back when Faye was still young and idealistic, looking to devote her life to the hippie notions of love and peace, she fell in love with a Mexican gangster. As the book starts out, she is just trying to get her life back together, having managed to escape her ex-boyfriend. Alas, unbeknownst to her, there is a paid assassin close on her heels, and he’s got a personal score to settle, as well.

“Flamingo Lane” was a super fast read for me, not because it’s super short, but because it is suspenseful and captivating. If you’re a fan of well written thrillers, don’t let this one pass you by! Having done a little research, I find that “Fever Tree,” the earlier novel, tells Dieter’s own story, from his days in Quintana Roo to his arrival in Crooked River. If ever I have time again, I may have to get my hands on that one, as well.

“Flamingo Lane” is published by Amberjack Publishing. I received a free copy in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own, unless otherwise stated.
A great cat and mouse story chase for me from vacation land Yucatan, to corn in Indianan (which was a good curve) to finally down in Florida where almost all,  like the drain pipe (not in a bad way) all types end up there.  I think the writer's style made this come alive for me.

I read this was a sequel kind of, no drag on this story, enjoy!