Tear Me Apart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Oct 2018

4.5 Thank you NetGalley, Mira, Harlequin and J.T. Ellison for the opportunity to read this book. I requested it on NetGalley and am thrilled they were able to oblige me. This one was gut wrenching. Yup the whole book pretty much. Not a bad thing, I mean it was intense, dark at times with little light. The prologue was not my favorite, but each chapter was better and better and by the time the ending came I was worn out. And wow, Mindy's mom.....well read the book no spoilers. Than you JT for a wild ride, thank you for talking about a dark subject with a twist of mystery and cold thrown in.
Mindy is a teenage superstar skier who breaks her leg during one of her races. During surgery it is discovered that Mindy is suffering from Leukemia and needs a stem cell transplant to survive. When her family is tested, a shocking discovery is made. I loved this book from the very beginning and the many twisted and unexpected turns made it all the more enjoyable! Highly recommend!
When Olympic hopeful, competitive skier, Mindy Wright takes a horrible tumble while on a downhill course, the most devastating news her parents expected to hear was that she would miss weeks of skiing while healing. Imagine their horror when it is discovered that Mindy was suffering from a severe form of leukemia. Before long, the news gets even worse - not only does she need an immediate stem cell transplant - her parents' DNA is not a match - Mindy is not their daughter.

Who is in Mindy's life? Her parents, Lauren and Jasper, and her aunt Juliet. Yet, none of them is a match. What actually happened? Juliet, a DNA specialist, will stop at nothing to get to the truth of the matter. As Juliet works with a federal agency, answers start to come to light, and these answers are not pretty.

There are so many OMG moments in this book! While it may have seemed innocuous enough about finding the birth parents to Mindy Wright, it is far, far more. There have been over 17 years of lies and the truth is coming out in waves. I have read a massive number psychological thrillers and, let me tell you, this is by far one of the very best. It is caked with twists and turns shooting left and right. Every time I thought I had a bead on the situation, the story would shift.

Before long I was constantly asking myself  - admittedly aloud - Lauren, what did you do? What did you DO? As a reader I was exceptionally curious, involved even. Mindy may be very ill, but she is exceptionally bright. She senses things are not right almost from the very beginning. Read the words of this absolutely stunning book and you will wonder too. You will wonder so much that you may find this book impossible to put down, even for a second. Also, how could I not root for Zack, who gets introduced to us later in the story?

Now, beyond the mystery, beyond the intrigue, Tear Me Apart is about much, much more. So many things come up - depression, self-harm and suicide. (Please be sure to read the Author's Note at the end of the book. It is pivotal.) Add in murder, and this all ties in together. So much so that the story flows at such a rapid pace, especially as it pulls two timelines together, that my head was truly spinning.

I was familiar with the author's name, J.T. Ellison, as I read the Brit in the FBI series, which she co-authors with Catherine Coulter. Otherwise, in my ignorance, I have never read Ellison's books until now. This is going to change. I am so thoroughly impressed with her writing. It is beyond spectacular. Ellison had my interest piqued from the very first, and this is a book that makes me want more, much more from her. Indeed, this book and this author comes highly recommended.

Many thanks to Harlequin - Mira and to NetGalley for this ARC to review; this was my honest opinion.
Junior champion skier Mindy Wright is in the first year of her adult alpine skiing career and is about to complete her final run which could mean a spot on the U.S. Olympic team. The weather conditions are terrible and everyone is horrified when Mindy falls and is severely injured before she finishes. While being treated for her injuries, a serious medical problem is discovered and and the the tests that are run brings something even more shocking to light. Now Mindy's life hangs in the balance while one of her loved ones tries to uncover long-held secrets to save Mindy.

"Tear Me Apart" is an exciting standalone thriller by J.T. Ellison. The main story is told in the present, but there are also flashbacks featuring other characters that seem unrelated at first until more of the story unfolds. Sometimes I was able to guess some of the revelations, but there are definitely a few surprises before the book ends.

My favorite characters are Mindy for her perseverance and her Aunt Juliet, because of her kindness, intelligence, and determination. Unfortunately, one of the other main characters is unlikable from the beginning, even before secrets start coming to light. That drags the book down a bit, but overall, I really enjoyed this book because of its fast pace and high level of suspense. I appreciate the well-written epilogue that wraps things up and lets the reader know how things turn out for the main characters. There are a couple things that remain secret from some of the characters which is sad, but realistic. There is a lot of tragedy in the book, but I'm glad it ends on a positive note.

I received this book from NetGalley through the courtesy of Harlequin-Mira. The book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.
Great story full of twists and turns. Who is lying? What really happened? Love the flow of the book, and the writing is phenomenal. This was my first J.T. Ellison book, but I will definitely be reading more!
Just another okay thriller. It really reminded me of a Lifetime movie and I'm not a huge fan of Lifetime. There were twists and turns, but it felt cliche to me. It does read quickly. It would be a perfect book for a plane ride or a beach.
Ok, so this book is REALLY good - but complex. It's not going to be the one you take to the pool for a fun thriller. You're going to want to shut your door and put your phone on silent so you won't be interrupted while you read!

On the outside, it looks like a typical thriller. Famous skiier needs stem cell transplant; parents discover they're not a match; a search for the truth. Was she switched at birth? Did someone in the family cover up a miscarriage and kidnap the baby? Where are the real parents? There are so many things going on but Ellison doesn't convolute it. She knows how to craft a smart, addicting page-turner without frustrating the reader. There's a little bit of everything in this story. Drama, suspense, murder, romance, forensic science, genetics, mental illness awareness, among other shocking twists. If you are interested, I suggest just diving right in; don't read the reviews at the risk of accidentally stumbling upon spoilers. This book is best read blindly.

I haven't read her other work but if it is anything like this book, I expect JT Ellison will be a new favorite of mine!
This story tackles the difficult subjects of self harm,depression and suicide. It is very well written and the story moves along at great pace. Complex and interesting, a good read.
4.5 Intensely Engrossing Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟💫 This book was no bunny slope, it was a black diamond run all the way! This was a  book that left you exhilarated and a little cold... filled with twists and turns with many bumps along the way.... there were many high flying moments as well as some close crashes.... so strap on those skis fasten those goggles, and get ready for an intense ride down the slope with this book....

Mindy Wright is a skiing prodigy on the brink of Olympic glory until.... a major crash, a broken leg,and an  unforeseen diagnosis, changes everything.... while in the hospital with her broken leg Mindy is diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia... in need of a bone marrow transplant both her parents are tested, and when not only are they not a match they are not genetically related to Mindy.... Mindy’s perfect run at Life is now a perfect nightmare, and it isn’t only her bone that is shattered.... how is this possible? Was Mindy switched at birth? Or is the answer more dark and complicated than that? How many secrets run through this family and what have they done to protect them?

Oh what a tangled web we weave.... and the untangling of this web was quite the thrilling ride.... I was probably suspicious of every single character in this book at one time or another with the exception of Mindy.... told from the perspective of multiple characters...  you really saw this scenario unfold from every angle.... I thought this was such an impactful way to tell the story it kept me completely engrossed until I reach the finish line.... secrets leading to lies, lies leading to secrets, nobody ever knowing who to believe.... and in the middle of this crazy storm a girl who is fighting for her life!

An engrossing book that will keep you turning those pages well after the ski lift closes....  with a ending that was both haunting and perfect....

Absolutely recommend to fans of thrillers with complicated characters and a compelling plot.... this was definitely a gold medal read!🥇

*** many thanks to Harlequin-Mira for my copy of this brilliant book ***
I received a complimentary e-book copy of Tear Me Apart from MIRA via NetGalley.

Tear Me Apart by J. T. Ellison is a suspense filled story about that you won't be able to put down. Mindy is 17, during a race that could qualify her for the women's Olympic ski team, she crashes. Her leg is severely broken, while in surgery to repair the break, the doctors realize that she is suffering from an aggressive form of leukemia. Mindy doesn't respond well to the chemo, the doctors say that her only hope for survival is a stem cell transplant.

Mindy's parents, Lauren and Jasper, as well as Mindy's aunt, Juliet, are her only living relatives. Not only are they not a match to donate stem cells but their DNA profiles prove that Lauren and Jasper are not Mindy's biological parents. The hunt is on for a donor. Juliet will stop at nothing to save her niece's life. However someone has deadly secrets and will stop at nothing to keep the past hidden.

This was a great book to get lost in. I loved that the pace never slowed down. This book just came out yesterday, August 28th, pick up a copy now to enjoy this holiday weekend.
Thank you netgally for the advanced copy. 3 days was all it took for me to fly through this book. This is the first J.T Ellison book I've read but will definitely be one of my go to Authors. The book flips between past and present and a handful of characters. It's easy to follow but doesn't leave you bored. I cheered for Zack the whole time and enjoyed the little love story added into the thriller.
Captivating and chilling. Another great psychological thriller by J.T. Ellison. As in previous works by the author I do not want to give anything away in the reviews but I would reccomend this to anyone who enjoys the genre.
“Tear Me Apart” by J. T. Ellison starts with a medical crisis; Mindy Wright has a potentially career-ending crash that threatens her future as an Olympian and a professional skier. However, the trauma does not end there. During surgery to save her life, doctors discover an aggressive form of leukemia, and only a stem cell transplant can save her life. The family immediately prepares for the life-saving procedure, but yet complication emerges; they are not a match. It appears that Mindy is not their biological daughter. How can this be? The past holds deep secrets, and how far will a mother go to protect her child? As far as it takes, Lauren Wright will let nothing stand in the way of saving her daughter.
The characters are well developed, compelling, and not always truthful. The story is told in sections from different points of view, and each interpretation contributes to the complex story as readers follow the uncovering of years of secrets and lies.
The gripping story unfolds layer by layer as the family’s world unravels around them. This is a personal drama, full of tension, and one that will keep readers engaged right up to the end. It addresses family devotion and childhood illness, as well as the difficult topics of mental illness and missing children.
I was given a review copy of “Tear Me Apart” by J. T. Ellison, Harlequin, and NetGalley. It is a convincing story filled with family problems, and not all the twists have obvious resolutions. I found the book riveting and captivating. It was a bit long, but it was well worth the time it took to read. Readers should not skip the author’s note at the end of the book.
I have to say I've loved everything I've read by J.T. Ellison from her very first Taylor Jackson novel, and I was pumped to get an ARC of this one (which I ended up finishing on release day!!). I won't rehash the description because you most likely have read it, and I can't go into any more detail than that, but this might actually be one of my favorite books by her. The first half felt very similar to a Jodi Picoult novel and I was really into the change of direction. The second half turns into thriller mode that we know J.T. for, and it does not disappoint. The characters were unbelievably well written, and I had and extremely difficult time putting the book down because every chapter left me in suspense. Highly recommended to anyone who loves a good, slow burning mystery with plenty of twists. I can't wait for the next one! Thanks to J.T. Ellison, publisher MIRA, and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
TEAR ME APART BY J.T. ELLISON BOOK REVIEW
I am utterly wrecked from Tear Me Apart by J.T. Ellison. You know that expression, “all the feelings”, right? As I finished this book, I cried & my heart ached.

THRILLER CHICK TURNS ROYAL
We already know J.T. Ellison is a thriller chick. Although I didn’t give her the name, it makes sense to me. Thriller Chick is J.T.’s social media handle, and once you read one of her books, you’ll get it.  She writes these type of mysteries that are gritty & smart. I’ve read several of her books. I believe her writing style continues to evolve, her characters deepen & the storylines are more irresistible. Honestly, J.T. outdid herself with Tear Me Apart. She may not like this, but I think she needs to change her social media handles. After Tear Me Apart, I think she is more suited for Thriller Queen.

SHE’S KEEPING ME IN SUSPENSE
I could not & would not put this book down. We had a kid-free 4-hour block & I couldn’t even enjoy dinner because I needed to get back home & finish this story. Now you’re warned – you too may skirt all responsibilities until you reach the end of this story!

One thing I love about J.T. is she doesn’t take the easy way out. Her storylines are deep & complex. So, when the opportunity arises for things to work out so easy for the characters, she could easily take the bait. BUT SHE DOESN’T! She keeps the story & the mystery moving which adds layer after layer of suspense & the tension continues to build.

LET’S GET REAL ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS
Tear Me Apart has a character suffering from a mental illness. The way J.T. writes about this character’s struggles are raw, emotional & so real to me that I felt physically ill after reading one particular part towards the end. I began to cry & my stomach ached. For me, this portrayal is spot on.

Similar to this character, I’ve struggled with depression that at times is so crippling it is near impossible to see outside of the darkness. J.T. explores this issue delicately & in an impactful way. Mental illness plays a small but pivotal role in this novel. I believe it’s impossible to read Tear Me Apart & not think of those around us who struggle with mental health.

THE VERDICT
I am Really Into This book! Tear Me Apart is a stellar thriller with a gritty & real portrayal of a mental illness. It’s also a tale of family, loss, sacrifice & forgiveness. J.T. Ellison broke my heart into a thousand pieces with this story. But, in the end, my heart soared, my tears dried & there was light.

Check out my review for Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison

Special thanks to J.T. Ellison,  Harlequin/MIRA Books & NetGalley for providing our copy in exchange for an honest & fair review.
Wow! This was intense and well written from the very beginning. Mindy is a competitive skier who gets hurt during one of her competitions. During her time at the hospital a whirlwind of events take place that completely changes Mindy’s life and the lives of those around her. I don’t want to give too much away with the events that unfold but I could not put this one down at all. Ellison does an excellent job of creating suspense and drama throughout this whole book. Definitely recommend this one!
A compelling story from the first page, this novel treads into some delicate territory regarding mental illness and suicide.

Teenager Mindy Wright is a rising superstar in competitive downhill skiing when a dramatic crash during a race changes her life, and those of everyone who loves her, forever.  During surgery to repair her broken leg, doctors discover she has an aggressive leukemia, and a stem cell transplant is her only hope for survival. When her parents and aunt are tested, the truth emerges that Mindy is not biologically related to any of them.

This revelation begins a fast paced search for Mindy's biological family. As the mystery begins to unravel, more and more questions arise. The story moves back and forth in time, and across the country, as we learn about both of Mindy's families and how she came to be the daughter of the parents who raised her in the Colorado mountains and nourished her career.

Although the plot seemed unbelievable at times, I still found myself caring about the characters and desperate for the resolution of the mystery. I especially like the exploration into what makes a family other than biology.
This was my first book by J.T. Ellison and it will not be my last! I was seriously impressed with Ellison’s writing and I have to admit, I have never had to look up so many words while reading a work of fiction - so hey thanks for increasing my vocabulary, Ms. Ellison!

When seventeen year old professional skier, Mindy, breaks her leg in a competition, a series of events unravel which will change the course of her and her family’s life forever.

This is a dark, multi-layered story that combines issues with mental and physical illness, and questions as to how far certain people will go for those they love. I certainly appreciated the author’s note where she mentions her inspiration and her support of suicide prevention. This is an important topic that is addressed within these pages.

And I have to say Kat the dog was probably my favorite character in the whole book!

This was a buddy read with my fellow @6bookbesties Mackenzie and Berit. Thank you to MIRA and Harlequin for my advance copy. This book is available today!
Many thanks to NetGalley, MIRA Books, and JT Ellison for the opportunity to read her latest book - 5 glowing stars amazing!

Mindy is a skiing phenom on the verge of the Olympics when a fall and a broken leg land her in the hospital.  The doctors soon discover that what Mindy and her family brushed off as symptoms of training were really leukemia.  When blood tests are done to find a familial match for a transplant that could save her life, her parents and aunt all  come up as not related to her.  This opens up a very twisty can of worms - who is lying?  What would parents do for their child?

I don't want to give anything away but this is definitely a must read.  Don't fail to read the author's note at the end too - a heartfelt note.  As someone who has lost someone and could have a semicolon tattoo, strong words and feelings to end this book.  Bravo!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!  whoo I did not expect the conclusion to this story at all!!!!!!  J.T. Ellison has definitely done it again with her newest thriller. Lauren Wright has the perfect life.  Perfect marriage,  perfect kid. Until her kid gets into a skiing accident and they find out she has cancer.  Now the doctors are saying her beautiful daughter is not hers.  Was Monday switched at birth??  Read to find out but I promise you won't see this coming!!!!!  Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Publishing for my opportunity to read this amazing novel