Conversion Disorder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Feb 2019

An exhaustive investigation about the psycho pathological effects. The author explains how these effects results in common diseases which are treated with drugs and surgical treatments instead of looking for the root of the problem with less invasive methods.

#ConversionDisorder #NetGalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC for my honest review.
This is not my us usual genre but I found this a very interesting read.  If you are interested in reading about psychological disorders and psychoanalysis this is a good book for you.
Conversion Disorder by Jamieson Webster is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late November.

The lost art of psychoanalysis, according to Webster (themselves a psychoanalyst), that kind of puts psychology and mental health counseling under a stereotyped scrutiny while taking a multilayered (mostly philosophical, Lacan, and Freudian) look at, as the title suggests, conversion disorder. At its simplest, it's a feeling of hysteria towards feeling out of place in one’s own body. The format is loosely arranged, soapbox-like, and has notedly deep, defensive paragraphs about whatever the author chooses to address, rather like they’re being prompted by an interviewer invisible to the reader.
It was by seer accident that I stumbled upon reading this book.  But it was very informative and well written.  Gave me a whole different understanding of that may happen in minds of those who live with this disorder.
Not the kind of book I usually read, but it was insightful. Recommended to anyone interested in the mind/physical sympton connection.