The Stranger Inside

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Mar 2019

The story opens with the death, possible murder, of Michelle Hannon in the 90's.
Years later Kimber Hannon arrives home after four days away to find her locks have been changed and there is a stranger in her home who has a 6-month lease agreement seemingly signed by her! And she has no knowledge of any of these events!
On confronting the stranger along with two police officers, her lawyer, who happens to be her obsessive ex, and a very nosy neighbour, the stranger whispers "I was there. I saw what you did!"
The story flashes between the past - Michelle and the present - Kimber.
And as the story progresses you realise Kimber is hiding something. And that she is not one of the most innocent types around.
Halfway through the reader gets given a big hint that may explain a few things and opens up a whole new can of worms - and making Kimber see things that she thought she understood in a way different light.
An exciting read where things are not quite what they seem. I finished it within a day, it was so gripping.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book.
The premise of The Stranger Inside pulled me in, and Laura Benedict kept the promise of the premise.  The creep factor in this novel is high, and the tension makes it very entertaining reading.  I think what I appreciated most was that the main character was so, so, so, awful.  I commend Ms. Benedict for her ability to draw and layer so detestable a character and still make the story compelling enough to make me stay with it!  Well Done! I would  definitely read more from this author.
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
TWO AND A HALF STARS

I was drawn to this book by the description and the cover, but was disappointed by the execution.  Reading this book felt confusing rather than suspenseful, and I found it hard to sympathize with a rather unlikable protagonist.

Although the premise of this book was promising, lacklustre twists and an unsatisfying ending prevent me from giving it a higher rating.

I received an ARC of this book from Mulholland Books and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Stranger Inside is a unique read and my first novel by author Laura Benedict.
Finally with her life back on track Kimber Hannon comes home from a trip to find her key no longer opens her front door. There is a stranger living in her house. A stranger who has paperwork claiming he has every right to be there. When Kimber confronts him he whispers "I was there. I saw what you did".
Written in different timelines, from past to present, the many twists and turns make this a very suspenseful and enjoyable read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Mulholland Books for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
So creepy, so compelling - what a nightmare premise! I loved the menacing atmosphere of this book and such a suspenseful read.
This is a good mystery thriller, the start is very good and gripping, someone else claims your house is theirs!
Overall was a good read, although I didn't really "love" the main character, the plot was good enough to keep going.
What a page turner, definitely a psychological thriller.  Twists and turns throughout the story all the way to the last chapter. Will recommend to our readers.
The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict was just okay in my opinion. It wasn't the best book that I've ever read, but it wasn't the worse book either. I wanted to like this book more than I did .One of the aspects of this book that I struggled with was that I found the main character, Kimber, highly unlikable. From the beginning, she rubbed me the wrong way. I often found myself getting annoyed with her. However, I did like that she was a bit of an unreliable narrator, and I never really know if I could trust her or not. I did, however, figure out the twist pretty early in the book. That was slightly anti-climactic for me. However, it was a quicky and easy read, and for the most part, I found the story entertaining. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free e-copy of this book!
Could you imagine coming home from a relaxing weekend away, inserting your key to your home and it not working? I can't imagine what I would do if this happened to me. But The Stranger Inside details Kimber's story of just that and the horror. What an epic fast pace story. New author for me and I'm already looking forward to another book by her. This is definitely a solid thriller and well written.

Special thanks to NetGalley, Mulholland Books and Laura Benedict for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
What would you do if you came home one day to discover a stranger living in your home? Sleeping in your bed, eating your food, going through your most private possessions...

It gets worse. This stranger has changed the locks, produced a "lease" with your apparent signature, and convinced the police he's the rightful tenant. They think you're crazy. You know you're not.

Believe it or not, the story gets worse still.

The stranger knows you.

But who the hell is he?

I feel like The Stranger Inside had an incredibly strong premise with a less-strong delivery. It begins when Kimber Hannon arrives home from vacation to discover her key no longer opens her front door. As the hours turn into days, she realizes that the man now living in her home isn't just after the house, or her money---he's after her secrets. But which ones? After all, she has no idea who he is---but he certainly remembers her...

The main thing that ruined The Stranger Inside for me was that I simply did not like Kimber. She is, put crassly, a b*tch: she treats even the people who are kind to her like dirt scraped from the bottom of her shoes. While I initially felt horrible for her in the middle of this predicament, I felt less and less sympathy for her as the book went on.

That's a problem, because without a protagonist to cheer for, you're really just wading through a decades-old sea of lies, hate and bitterness. The reveal at the end was a head-turner, but by that point I didn't really care if Kimber made it out all right or not. Whoops. I think she's supposed to be a complex shades-of-grey gal but the heartlessness she had for her supposed best friend---who was an absolute angel to her---was a shade too much.

As for everyone else in the book, I guess they had their own reasons to be bitter, but also? It's been twenty years, guys. Get over yourselves.
The Stranger Inside is a psychological thriller filled with twists and turns. This is my first book to read by Laura Benedict. I enjoyed her writing style.  It is very fast-paced.
the twist was somewhat worthwhile - but I just found the build up to the action in this book far too long.
The Stranger Inside was disappointing at best.  It started off with a lot of promise, but the more I read, the more I skimmed.  Even though I skimmed, it still took me ages to finish because I wasn't excited to pick it up.  I continued to read because I wanted to know what happened.  But guess what, there were holes that weren't completely filled or were just brushed over.  Needless to say, I was left disappointed and annoyed.
I received this ARC book from Netgalley for honest Review.
What a great thrill and suspense it was to read. What a great psychological thrill! This novel had everything in it. The thrill, the suspense, the psychological, romance and the twist is crazy. This novel will keep you thinking and guessing. When you think you right, well let me just say that you might be wrong. This had me all over the place. My heart beating so fast! I couldn't believe what I was reading. If had me in shock. Every page, every chapter was a page turner. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was reading. I highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. It will surprise you in every way.

The storyline was very good!
The theme and setting was well put together. The characters was well put together in the story.
This story will have in a rollercoaster with all the spooky and secrets. Was so well put in the story.
Everything all in one book.
It was just perfect!
I highly recommend everybody get this and read it.
What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for her next book.
#thestrangerinside
The Stranger Inside is a fabulous psychological thriller that I enjoyed reading. There are twists and it is a dark read.
I had really high hopes for this book I was really interested in the premise and felt gripped immediately but as the story progressed and I learnt more about the main character the more I didn’t want to pick this book up, the main character was really unrelatable and I couldn’t care for her in the slightest some of the things she did actually angered me I went about two weeks without picking this up and thought about leaving it but ended up picking it back up and finishing it it wasn’t awful the premise was good and it had some good twists and features of it
If you like a good psychological thriller, then look no further than The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict. This is a good, solid example of all that is great in this genre. What makes it stand out is the unusual storyline, it's not something i can remember reading before. You arrive back from a relaxing holiday and find someone living in your house, locks changed, everything. What the hell is going on?!?
I thought this was a well paced read, enough there to keep the reader interested. There was clearly a lot of thought put into the characters and their personalities, which, when everything is put together, gives you a fantastic read.
Thank you to the author, the publisher and Netgalley for my ARC.
All thoughts and opinions are enirely my own.
Thank you Mulholland Books and Netgalley for an e-copy of The Stranger Inside in exchange for an honest review.

Kimber returns from a week-long vacation ready to relax at home and get back to work. When she gets there, her key won’t unlock the front door. She tries all the doors and all the locks have been changed. When she sees a man in her window she calls the police. He claims to have rented the house and has all the paperwork to prove it. Who is this man and what does he want with Kimber’s house?

I wish I liked this book more. I loved the idea of the plot but after a while, it just got more unbelievable as more details are revealed. Also, Kimber was not a character I could root for or care for. She was not just flawed but really deep down an unlikable person. These things combined are not for me. I like the plot of my thrillers to at least be a little believable and my lead character to be barely likeable.
Kimber comes home from a little getaway and as she is turning her key to open her front door she realizes that it doesn't work and she is locked out. She sees someone inside her house and calls the cops to come help her but instead the man inside is able to provide a lease that shows he is allowed to be there.  This is just the beginning of the many twists and turns in this book. The author was able to keep me guessing on what would happen next and I really enjoyed not being able to figure out the surprises beforehand. I thought this was a solid read and will be recommending it to people who are looking for a fast paced thriller.  Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
Kimber comes home from a retreat to find her locks changed and a shadow in her guest room. She must find out how this stranger got into her house and what he what’s with her. This book started off great. I was instantly intrigued to know who this stranger was and what they wanted. But that slowly faded. Kimber was an unlikable character who only got worse throughout the book. The ending wasn’t at all what I hoped or expected.

Thank you to Mullholland Books and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book for my honest review.