Poughkeepsie Shuffle

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Aug 2018

I like Kalteis. He writes a good hard boiled novel crime novel with echoes of Leonard. And his settings are different. If you are looking for something different in the crowded crime field, give him a try
The author provided plenty of action and excitement in this thriller that kept me invested.  I am definitely going to be seeking out more of the author's work.
From the publisher ---
Jeff Nichols — a man strong of conviction but weak of character — is fresh out of the Don Jail, looking for work — any kind of work — and a way back into Ann Ryan’s good graces. She waited for his return from prison but is quickly running short on patience. An ex-inmate and friend gets Jeff a job at Ted Bracey’s used car lot, selling cars for commission only. But it’s not enough to keep him and Ann afloat in mid-80s Toronto, and the lure of easy money soon gets Jeff involved in smuggling guns from upstate New York. With that sweet Poughkeepsie cash, now he can keep his promises to Ann; he even buys them a house but conceals the source of the money. As Jeff gets in deeper and deeper, everyone around him learns how many rules he’s willing to bend and just how far he’ll go to get on the fast track to riches. That he’s a guy who doesn’t let lessons from past mistakes get in the way of a good score.
Poughkeepsie is the funniest word on the planet, seriously. AND a great place to visit (again, Seriously…the walk across that bridge from New Paltz is sublime, as are the Gilded Otter beer slides!) Yes, I chose the book based on the title.
Aside, this was a totally enjoyable book from page one to end. It’s not a book club kind of book unless you want CanCon (Canadian Content) but I would still recommend it to someone in search of a good book to read!!! 4 solid stars.