In Too Deep

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Dec 2018

I have been eagerly waiting for this book ever since I finished the first book in the series, "Beneath the Surface". Author Lynn Blackburn has found a unique place in this genre, hitting the exact right blend of suspense, dialogue, believable characters, and romance.

Atypical wealthy person turned-police officer-and-crusader-for-justice Adam Campbell loves his career. He has also made peace with the place he holds in his uber wealthy family. In love with the brilliant Dr. Sabrina Fleming since they met two years ago, he has yet to truly share his heart. When they are reconnected to solve this mystery, Adam knows that he cannot go on working with her unless he is straightforward about how he feels.

Dr. Sabrina Fleming is so crazy smart that she sometimes misses social cues - and occasionally, doesn't even recognize her own feelings. To her surprise, Adam is not only interested, but seems quite serious. However, she is sure that she is not a good fit for him or his family. Combined with the fact that her life seems to be repeatedly in danger, Sabrina puts all her energy into solving the mystery. But is the mystery she is trying to solve the right one?

The supporting cast is interesting, and there are multiple surprises throughout the story.
This book can be read as a standalone, but your experience will be much richer if you read number one first. I recommend these books and this author!
"In Too Deep" is the second book in Lynn H. Blackburn's Dive Team Investigations series and it is a fast-paced intense read that will keep you turning the pages!  Adam is called into work during a family dinner much to the dismay of his aunt and grandmother, and this is the start of uncovering things that have been taking place and trying to discover the truth before more people are murdered, including himself.  Adam is shocked by the body that is found in the submerged car and the computer along with the information on it that is discovered.  Samantha and Adam have been friends for years and Adam knows that she is the one to best help him with this case as she is a whiz with computers.  However, neither can believe what is showing up. Unfortunately, human trafficking is all too real in today's society and it so often feels like you do not know who you can trust and find yourself questioning how well you really know someone.  Adam and Samantha face all of this.
 I really enjoyed this book and seeing some familiar characters from book 1.  The interactions between the characters and the vibe between the co-workers is so realistic and just really helps with the making the characters come to life in the book.  This book is a nice mix of romance and suspense and the characters are ones you cannot help but like and root for along the way.
In Too Deep by Lynn H. Blackburn is book 2 in the Dive Team Investigations series. This book has less diving than book 1, but I did not mind that at all. Instead, it was filled with an interesting plot and tons of suspense. It had a strong message about human trafficking. I love how the book brought the world of human trafficking to life in ways I would never have imagined. It has made me look differently at people in my everyday life. Anyone around us could be a victim. I recommend this book for its suspense and its message. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
This book has great action and fast-paced flow of the plot!  I was also impressed with the author’s ability to craft characters with depth and with developing relationships, which is oftentimes overlooked in fast-paced novels.  The author also tackles the difficult topic of human trafficking, which gives insight into modern day slavery that is very real in the US.  The twits and turns kept me guessing.  I liked this book and recommend it to those who love contemporary suspense!

I received an e-copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Adam Campbell gets called to the scene of a submerged car and is shocked when there is a connection to the dead accountant and himself. He enlists the help of his friend Dr. Sabrina Fleming, a professor at the local college for her help in retrieving information off of the accountant’s laptop.  More questions arise when it seems like there is a connection to a human trafficking ring and someone in Adam’s family may be involved.

This is the second book in the Dive Team Investigations series. After a great introductory book to this series, Blackburn has another winner on her hands. I am really enjoying Blackburn’s stories and I hope this series continues. I find the forensic diving very interesting and the information regarding the forensics from the different characters she puts in her stories is fascinating.

** I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an unbiased review**
Lynn H Blackburn is one of my must read readers...Her writing style is insightful, suspenseful and truly an adventure.  Experience this novel yourself..you will not be disappointed.
I read book 1 and was really excited to read book 2 in this series! I loved the main characters Adam and Dr. Sabrina Fleming in this book. I also liked that previous characters Leigh and Ryan were mentioned as well. I really like the Dive Team and how they work together to investigate and solve crimes. I find their work very interesting.

This story had a great, steady pace of drama and intrigue all throughout. It was totally unpredictable, which kept me on the edge of my seat. Clean, Christian story with elements like faith and love.

I absolutely can’t wait for book 3 and I hope it involves Gabe and Anissa. I highly recommend this series and this book!
A forensic dive team in North Carolina is the focus of Lynn H Blackburn’s series, Dive Team Investigations. In book one, we met the team members and focused on Ryan and Leigh’s story. Book two, In Too Deep, tells the chilling tale of Adam and Sabrina. While I believe the book could stand on its own, I started out feeling that the team members were already my friends, not people I had just met.

What’s to love about this book? Blackburn strikes a good balance between great romantic suspense and relationship-driven narrative. What I loved most is that Sabrina is intelligent beyond belief, yet that character trait is countered by an unusual lack of common social skills. In other words, a great, but lovable, flawed protagonist.

Heavy topics are handled within these pages. My antennae went up. We’re talking about sex trafficking and labor trafficking. Where is the author taking me? Guilt, awareness, action? For me, I choose awareness.

I loved that prayers are a part of everyday needs in the novel, and some are spoken aloud. They’re not preachy, but natural, clear, and honest.

Points to Blackburn for exhibiting a sense of humor at a few critical points. Some thoughts just made me laugh. Try “baby cops.” Another was a paragraph listing Sabrina’s many injuries, followed by the statement she had never looked more beautiful. That just tickled my funny bone.

Thought-provoking quotes:
“You love the victims and the victimizers. We don’t understand that, Lord.” (How true!)
and
“...it’s not about how big our faith is. What matters is how big our God is.” ~Sabrina

I highly recommend this series, and can’t wait for Gabe and Anissa’s story. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are solely my own, and no positive review was required.
This is an awesome book! The mystery is intriguing. I like all of the characters. This is one of my favorite series.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.
Great read as always by Lynn Blackburn.  This book holds your attention.  Keeps you on the edge of your seat...& keeps you guessing until the very end.  Great!
I was really excited about this next installment in the series and it didn't disappoint.  This was on the edge of your seat mystery with a little romance thrown in.  Looking forward to more from this author.
The story — plot, theme, characters — was well written. It was intense and held this reader’s attention.

The Carrington, NC, dive team has just pulled a body from the water. Not sure whether they were looking at a suicide or an accident victim, they begin to examine the body. What they found surprised them. On her abdomen were found the words, "They killed me. Ask Adam Campbell." It was not an unfamiliar name - Adam was a white-­collar crimes investigator and was not usually called to the scene of a traffic accident. And that is where the story begin - with Adam's cell phone ringing just as Sunday dinner was starting for his extended family.

There is a “but” however. The book dealt with a major theme in law enforcement in the 21st century, human trafficking. The book does not provide resources for the average reader to find additional help. No web sites allowing the reader to learn more. No way to determine the size of the problem in local communities or within individual states.  No signs or symptoms to suggest where help may found by somebody in trouble.  No phone numbers to call for help if seen. The resources are there (see https://www.state.gov/j/tip/id/help/ for one site.)

Yes, this is a work of fiction, but the problems are real. It would make sense to add a list of resources as an appendix or addendum or even a single website where this information could found if needed, especially from a book coming with a Christian imprint. But there was nothing. I was disappointed.

I have no problem recommending the book for reading. Having written a good story, I would expect the author or publisher to take the initiative to assist the reader understand the larger issues involved.
______________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review.  The opinions expressed are my own.
Lynn H. Blackburn has very quickly become one of my favorite suspense authors!  Adam's gentle nature and down-to-earth personality are charming, easily winning over the reader. We got a peak at Adam's secret affection for Sabrina in the first book of the series, however the extent of how deeply he cares for her comes through loud and clear in In Too Deep (especially in his protectiveness over her). Sabrina has become one of my favorite characters! Her quirkiness and cluelessness of common social cues is both endearing and hilarious!  The pace of the story and imminent danger of the unknown threat kept me turning the pages. I was surprised at the twists in the story with not one, but two mysteries surfacing from the deep (see what I did there!). Exciting story, and I am so  happy to finally see Sabrina and Adam's romance bloom!

​I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. A review was not required but was voluntary and contains my own thoughts and opinions regarding this literary work.
When the dive team is called in to recover a body from a submerged car, they aren't prepared to find an encrypted laptop--or an unsettling connection between investigator Adam Campbell and the dead accountant.

Adam turns to his friend Dr. Sabrina Fleming--a professor at the local university with unparalleled computer security and forensics skills--to recover the files from the laptop. But the deeper they dig, the deadlier the investigation becomes. When evidence uncovers a human trafficking ring and implicates members of Adam's own family, he and Sabrina will have to risk everything to solve the case.

This is another winner for Ms. Blackburn.  It was well worth the wait.  The mystery was great as well as the romance.  I did find it hard to believe that Sabrina and Adam could work after almost getting blown up.  But like a movie, anything is possible.  This is a great book and I had trouble putting it down.  I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

I was given this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in anyway.
In Too Deep is the 2nd book in the Dive Team Investigation series by Lynn Blackburn.  It can be read as a stand alone novel. Imagine you're a diver recovering a dead body in a submerged car, and that is your everyday job.  However, an encrypted laptop pins the blame on you. This is Adam Campbell's story found within the pages of this book.  Adam reaches out to Sabrina Fleming, who is a digital forensicist, for help. Together, they find clues to a human trafficking ring and find deep dark secrets hidden by Adam's family.  The addition of the human trafficking addition but it seems more contrived of a plot.  It was hard to get into this book, and the plot developed slowly.  However, I applaud Blackburn for shedding light on human trafficking.
This was a great 2nd book in the Dive Team series and I continue to be given new revealing details about the main characters in the current book, as well as the supporting characters from the previous book.  The storyline also focuses on the unfortunate reality of modern day human trafficking.
I would recommend this book as well as the first book in the series, and I can't wait to read the next installment!
I finally got a chance to finish this book, I really loved it! The suspense is absolutely incredible.

And I loved Adam and Sabrina and their story. So, so good!

Adam is kind of forced into the middle of a murder/homicide when a woman’s body is recovered with his name written on her stomach.

And then there’s Sabrina. Who is after her? It seems that someone is intent to kill her. The main problem is she has no idea who or why.

My favorite character in this story is Adam. I loved the opportunity to get to know him. And yeah...the relationship developing between him and Sabrina...well it's beautiful. And the author keeps you guessing. I was never quite sure which way it was going to go.

This book is just full of excitement and suspense, from cover to cover. It will keep you engrossed until the very last sentence.

The mystery is absolutely top notch. The plot twists and turns. The sequence of events...it all develops at just the right pace. It keeps you moving along enough that you have no chance of losing interest, and yet things are revealed only a bit at a time, to keep you reading desperately for the next clue.

This is the second book in Lynn Blackburn’s Dive Team Investigations series, a series that has quickly risen to the top of my favorite suspense novels. Be sure and read the first one, Beneath the Surface, too! I cannot wait to read the third one next year!

I received a complimentary copy of this book to read. All opinions expressed here are my own entirely.
In Too Deep Is a Worthy Follow Up. In Too Deep is almost as good as it's predecessor...almost. Where Beneath the Surface was a suspenseful mystery and thriller, In Too Deep focused more on romance. That being said, the romance element between Adam and Sabrina left me wanting more. As far as the mystery goes, I didn't know who the killer was until he/she was revealed. I received this book free from Netgalley and publisher Revell in exchange for an honest review. No one asked me to say anything about this book. All opinions are my own.
There’s so much action in this book which I loved. Sabrina, the main character, had to visit the hospital twice within 12 hours because of multiple attacks that were made on her. This book is definitely fast paced. ;) The mystery side of things was intriguing with the case of human trafficking.
This is the second book in this series and they just keep getting better.  I loved the characters and can’t wait for more of the team to have their own stories.  This has a bit of romance and a lot of suspense with a lot of twists and turns.  I did not want to put this book down.  I was on the edge of my seat through most of this book.  I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.