We, the Jury

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Thank you to NetGalley, Blackstone Publishing and Robert Rotstein for the ARC to review. I enjoy law and criminal trial type books. I have never been on a jury, so I was really interested in reading this book. It starts with the facts of murder trial, and then the jury being sent off to deliberate.  I like that this book is from the jury's perspective. Each jury member gives there point of view.  I really enjoyed this one.
4 Thrilling Stars!

David Sullinger is on trial in Sepulveda County, California for murdering his wife, Amanda.  He claims that he was a battered spouse and that it was in self-defense.

It is up to eight jurors to decide if he is guilty.  The Jurors include: a housewife, an architect, a student, a clergyman, a jury consultant, a former high school principal, an express messenger and the foreperson.

During the trial, testimony is given by David’s daughter Lacey and his son Dillon.  The testimony given by David and Lacey Sullinger are nearly identical.  Therefore, if you believe Lacey Sullinger, do you automatically believe her father?  Dillon’s testimony is contradictory to Lacey’s but he is also unreliable.  Who do you believe?   Was David Sullinger credible?

It is up to the Jurors to decide:

“The truth is, it’s very difficult to tell through observation whether someone is lying.”

The Trial is told via multiple POV’s: that of the Jurors, the Judge, the Court Clerk, the Bailiff, The Defense Counsel, The Paralegal, the Prosecutor, the Tabloid Journalist and the Court Reporter.  Believe it or not, the story being told through so many viewpoints is done seamlessly and kept me on my toes from the first.  It is about how those individuals interact that makes “We, the Jury” different from other Courtroom Dramas.

I can attest to the fact that:

“Cases are won by spinning facts, appealing to prejudices…. when possible quibble, deflect, distract.  Challenge the credibility of the most credible witnesses..”

Simply put, I had insight into this novel that perhaps others might not.  I have worked in the legal field for twenty-three years, specifically in the area of Litigation and have attended quite a few Jury (and courtside) trials in the course of my career.  I was analyzing this book left and right and have a few thoughts about what coulda, shoulda, woulda (but they will be left unsaid).  Regardless of that, seeing this from all angles is absolutely fascinating and I commend Robert Rotstein for making “We, the Jury” such a fabulous and intriguing read.  His character development is spot on and I was completely enthralled from start to finish.  This is one book that I highly recommend for those who like courtroom dramas and well written thrillers!

This was a buddy read with Kaceey.  Kaceey picked this one and boy am I glad she did!  

Thank you to Edelweiss, NetGalley, Blackstone Publishing and Robert Rotstein for a complimentary copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on Edelweiss, NetGalley, Goodreads, Twitter and Instagram on 10.11.18.
This may be a repeat feedback post...i thought the book was well-executed, the story was compelling enough to capture interest, 8f not hold it tight
A quick, engrossing court room read. A behind the scenes look at a deliberating jury. A judge under pressure.  All this added up to a great read that will keep you interested till the very end.
We, the Jury is a thoroughly engrossing and captivating read. David Sullinger is on trial for the gruesome murder of his wife. The book starts when the case is sent to the jury and alternates chapters with each participant's POV. I found this book unique and quite interesting. I haven't read a courtroom drama this good in years. Highly recommend.
I loved, loved, loved this book! I work in the court system (I don't want to say which side) and this book was an intriguing look at the perspectives of the people involved in a criminal jury trial, such as the Judge, the prosecutor, the defense attorney (and her paralegal), the bailiff, the court clerk, and the court reporter.  The case at issue is a murder charge, where the husband is charged with murdering his wife. His defense is the battered spouse syndrome, and the star witnesses are the couple's two children, and each tell a very different story about their parents' relationship.

I read this book in less than 24 hours, which is very rare for me. Each chapter offered a different perspective, as well as other ways of telling the story, such as partial transcripts and legal memos to move the story along. This really worked for me and I found it kept the book interesting and fresh.

I will definitely put this author on my list of must-reads and pick up his next book!

*Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for my advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Author Rotstein has taken an ordinary murder trial and by presenting it through the points of view of 14 people, jury members, court personnel, and the judge has made it fresh and suspenseful.  All is not what you think it is — or is it?  Particularly fascinating are the perspectives of the 8 jury members.  Rotstein virtually puts the reader into each of their seats, akin to but even more effective than the intersections we see from a  more objective perspective in the wonderful play Twelve Angry Men.  We, the Jury reads quickly, except for the occasional odd word that doesn’t seem quite right.  This novel will appeal to die-hard readers of legal thrillers, of course, but will also be of interests to readers looking for a new take on what is really an old story.  What goes on behind the closed door of a marriage is never quite what we imagine it to be.
We, The Jury, by Robert Rotstein, is a courtroom drama about spousal abuse and self-defence. The defendant has admitted killing his wife but claiming self-defence as she was physically and mentally abusing him. This book focuses on the jury and is told from their perspective, along with the views of the judge and courtroom officials.

On the day before his 21st wedding anniversary unemployed David Sullivan killed his successful real estate broker wife by smashing an axe into her head! A rather brutal way to die. 8 members on the jury must now decide whether it was premeditated murder or if he was a battered spouse and killed her in the heat of the moment in self-defence.

What should have been a straightforward case isn’t. Testimony from the defendant’s own children is contradictory, with each child (ages 16 and 17) claiming the other parent was Satan, allegations of severe physical abuse, adultery, and incest. If that wasn’t enough, the jury must also overcome personal conflictions within the jury room.

Overall, I found this to be an excellent, well-written courtroom drama. Written from the perspective of the members of the court (Judge, bailiffs, court reporter and jurors) it gives a unique take of a crime drama. It exposes the bias, prejudices, personal animosities and how the jurors have to fathom out the truth from the fiction and ultimately who they believe while trying to make the right decision and not just going along with the pack.

There is an eclectic mix of characters that make interesting reading and drawing you into the book. Each chapter goes back and forth from a member of the cast of characters, hearing their own viewpoints on the case as well as their thoughts on their fellow jurors.

A well-thought out book written in a different style than standard courtroom dramas that makes it unique and interesting.

Well worth a read.
I’m a bit of a law junkie. I love legal thrillers and anything to do with the criminal justice system. In fact, I even volunteer every year to be the defendant in a first degree murder case in a mock trial for a criminal law class at a local law school (not to brag, but I have been found “Not Guilty” twice). This fiction book We, the Jury was so much fun. Unlike a typical legal thriller, the book alternates perspectives between many participants in the trial from members of the jury to the judge to the court reporter and bailiff and legal teams.  It’s better than being a fly on the wall in the jury room because you’re inside the head of the jurors and other participants. The format showcases the effects of issues like the impact of witnesses in person vs. the court transcription read back, jury interpretations, and jury interactions.  I would not want to be a defendant for real because of all of these factors that could impact the jury’s decision.
Thanks to NetGalley, Blackstone Publishing, and the author Robert Rotstein for an advanced electronic reading copy.
I was extremely excited to get an advance copy of this novel! After reading the story description on GoodReads, I just knew that this was a story that I had to read. Thank you to the publisher and the author for this great novel!

As a former Paralegal, I LOVE legal dramas and this legal drama absolutely delivered. I love how the story hits the ground running, the reader is immediately placed into all the courtroom action. I love how the story was told from the viewpoints of each character. This allowed the reader an interesting look into the lives of the characters which helped to understand their motives when it came to the legal case. People who love legal dramas will love this book!
This was a most enjoyable and enlightening account about just what goes into a jury’s verdict.  Each chapter was told from the standpoint of a different person significant in the process: the 8 jurors, the bailiff, the judge, the two attorneys, the clerk and so forth.  I loved the way the author characterized each, showing the reader backgrounds and hence, preconceived notions of each.  I loved the way the jury’s thinking evolved – individually and as a group.  I loved the way the members of the jury interacted with each other.  I loved the way the lawyers and the judge along with the court employees were depicted.  This was simply first class all the way.

I highly recommend this book.

This was an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  I’m most appreciative of this pre-publication copy in exchange for an honest review.
I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

The story revolves about the jury deliberation in a murder case. Each chapter is told from the point of view of one of the participants: the judge, each jury member, the bailiff, the prosecuting attorney, the defense attorney, and the press.

It was interesting to learn about each character's personality and prejudices and see how this might affect their actions and influence others. Even the behavior of the judge, bailiff, and attorneys was a reflection of their personal situations. I feel that the book gives the reader insight into the fact that a jury is made up of human beings. These people cannot help but be influenced by each other's diverse backgrounds, prior experiences, and the pressures and time constraints imposed by the nature of deliberation. Who was weak? Who was overbearing? Who could be easily persuaded just to "get it over with"?

I felt that this thought-provoking novel provided a realistic view of a difficult jury deliberation.
I was not so sure about this book, and the flip flopping of narratives. The writer did wonderfully! It was fun matching the jury personality types with people i know in life. From beginning to end, I stayed entertained. Fun read!
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Rotstein, and Blackstone Publishing for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Robert Rotstein has developed this unique legal thriller, told from the perspective of the other side of the courtroom. Rather than putting the reader in the middle of a courtroom drama, the story unfolds as the legal banter is wrapping up and the case is sent to the jury. David Sullinger is accused of having murdered his wife, Amanda, the day before their 21st wedding anniversary. According to David, he was subjected to significant and ongoing spousal abuse, which led him to act in self-defence at the time he plunged a pickaxe into her skull. Told from multiple perspectives, the book opens with the judge offering jury instructions, which are bumbled, and proceeds to the deliberations in the case. In a narrative that offers the jury members’ own perspectives on the case, as well as other officers of the court (judge, bailiff, lawyers) and even some outsiders, the reader learns more about what supposedly happened through recollections of evidence presented. Additionally, Rotstein offers some outside information on the judge, who is showing signs of mental distress due to personal matters, trying to hold it all together. With tidbits of testimony added within various chapters, the reader becomes a juror themselves, as they see the arguments made in deliberation, before a decision is made. Quite the story and highly unique! Rotstein is sure to impress those who enjoy legal thrillers with a different perspective, especially the reader who likes to be the thick of a courtroom drama.

I thoroughly enjoy legal thrillers and courtroom dramas, as they are not only entertaining, but highly educational. Rotstein peppers a little of everything in this case, which sees a man’s freedom hang in the balance. Spousal abuse against men remains a new defence, though it is one that has been rolled out here. Taking the perspectives of the jurors provides the reader with a unique glimpse into what they know, how they feel, and what influences their voting. The banter between these individuals—the least legally trained but with the most legal power in a case—is amazing and Rotstein infers a great deal throughout. The characters are plentiful and each has their own perspective, which allows the reader to watch as development and flavour mix to create the most entertaining set of individuals. The story is quite well done, offering great insight into how the same set of facts can be interpreted so many ways by a group of eight (see an early explanation in the story about how eight can serve on a jury in California) common citizens. With short chapters and a variety of perspectives, the reader will not get bogged down in the legal or personal minutiae of the characters, but will seek to see how things end up when the foreperson presses the red button, indicating a decision has been reached.

Kudos, Mr. Rotstein, for such a great book. I will recommend it to anyone who enjoys legal pieces, as you have a wonderful handle on the genre.
This is an interesting story.  The book is told from the perspective of everyone in the courtroom from the court reporter, clerk, bailiff all the way to the individual jurors.  The story starts at the end of the trial.  Which I thought was interesting.  You expect a courtroom drama to start at the beginning.  For this book the end was the beginning.  Through all the different characters we learn the trial. David Sullinger is accused of killing his wife Amanda in self defense with an ax to the head.  Their two children are divided on which parent was truly the monster in the family.  We learn a lot about the couple from the different witnesses' stories. There are lots of twist and turns.  Interesting characters on the jury that we learn more about.  Makes you not want to be called for jury duty.  If you are a fan of legal dramas and stories you will enjoy this book.
"We, The Jury," is a mystery novel told in first person by the various characters involved in a murder trial, allowing the reader a glimpse into the jury room and each person's perspective in the case. This story also demonstrates the personal biases, cultural backgrounds, ethnicity, gender, etc., that influence a jury in the decision making process of the guilt or innocence of the accused. Great read and highly recommended.
This is not your typical legal thriller. The story, which involves a pretty awful series of events, is told by many different narrators all of whom are involved in some way or another. It’s a very different story but really held my interest from start to finish.  It does get a little complicated with all the narrators so I found I sometimes had to backtrack a few pages. Reading this was time really well spent!
We, the Jury was such an enjoyable read. The book follows the trial of David Sullinger who has been charged with murdering his wife. David claims that his wife has been physically abusing him for years and he killed her in self-defence. This version of the story is supported by David's daughter, however, David's son provides a contradictory testimony claiming that the monster in the relationship was not the murdered mother, but the father. The problem is that the son is a drug addict and no one seems to believe his side of the story. Seemingly straight forward court case for the jury turns out to be more complicated than originally anticipated. As the jurors start deliberating, more and more doubt and questions creep in. Is David guilty or innocent??

Probably the main reason why I enjoyed the book so much was the different points of view we are exposed to as readers. Each chapter is told by a different participant of the trial - 8 members of the jury, judge, bailiff, prosecutor..., which was very refreshing and enable us understand each character's perspective. This book lets us behind the closed doors of jury deliberation which I find very intriguing. It was fascinating to see the impossible task of the jurors of finding the truth and to ensure justice has been served. Sometimes it can take only one person with excellent persuasion skills to sway others to change their opinion.

My only minor complaint would be that for some reason I expected some kind of a twist at the end of the book or perhaps just a more satisfactory ending. I probably shouldn't have done as the book is gripping enough as it is and I would highly recommend it.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is an unusual book about all the people (judge, jury, bailiffs) involved in a murder trial.  Moving from person to person narrating their feelings and experiences, it is gripping.  The stories fit together like a well oiled machine. Shockingly, for a novel involving so many characters all of them are really well-developed.

This is a very original and well-written book, which will hold the readers’ interest from start to finish.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read a Kindle ARC of We, the Jury. I read this book in three days and I didn't want to put it down. It is probably one of the most well-written stories of a trial that I've read. The story is told from alternating points of view of a jury, judge, bailiff and attorneys in the trial of David, a married man accused of killing his wife prior to their 21st anniversary. There's no dispute that he did it but his claims of self-defense and being a battered spouse both emotionally and physically are in question. The reader doesn't hear directly from David or his two children, but hear their accounts through recorded court testimony. David's son feels that his father was the monster and his daughter feels the complete opposite. The points of view of everyone but the suspect and his children is gripping. The judge, a recent widow, is losing her grip and questions her own authority and decisions. This book should do well, based on positive reviews and word of mouth. I know I'll be spreading the word to friends and family that We, The Jury is possibly one of the best fictional  court dramas ever written.