The Au Pair

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Feb 2019

Part gothic tale, part modern mystery, this book is another page turner that will have you reading long into the night, as you attempt with Seraphine to unravel a web of lies so taunt that it seems there are more false leads than truth! As each member of the 'straight out of an Agatha tale' book gets introduced, it seems we know less and less about them, as the lies cover the truth everywhere Seraphine turns. As family member after family member begs her to drop her search, she knows they each have memories they have either forgotten, or chosen to pretend never happened.this one will keep you up long into the night too, so be prepared!
Gretchen Snodgrass's review Nov 26, 2018  ·  edit
really liked it

I was drawn into this story from the very beginning. The setting takes place between two time periods, 1991 and 2017, in an estate called Summerbourne. The au pair of the title tells the 1991 story, and Seraphine tells the modern one. Although the story takes place in modern times, the atmosphere and tone of the story are old time gothic. It reminded me of books written by Daphne DuMaurier. There's a mystery behind the Summerbourne twins' lives, and after their father dies, Seraphine starts to delve into the past. As the past starts to collide with the present, secrets are revealed about all involved. This book held my interest and kept me guessing throughout. This was a good read.
I received an Advance Review Copy. All opinions are my own.
This was a great book for a long weekend or a vacation - really absorbing. It's easy to get sucked into the world of privileged but isolated Summerbourne and the family that has resided there for generations somewhere in the English countryside. This was one of those stories that relies on to narrators from different time periods in the story, a technique I love. This relies mostly in the accounts of Laura, an Au Pair in the 90s and Seraphine, the woman whose older brother Laura Nannied as a child. I'm not a big mystery reader but I liked the mystery to this story, along with the generational stories and characters. You're really guessing at the plot resolution until the very last minute. The plot can seem overly complicated at points, your often re-reading or tempted to draw yourself a diagram, but not too often. If you really love mysteries this may be more of a winner for you, I just didn't feel too emotional connected to the characters.
I did find this book enjoyable for the most part but the ending was just too convoluted, long and confusing. It was rather ridiculous honestly and ruined how fascinated I was with the first half of the book.
Suspenseful novel about right after Seraphine and her twin brother Danny are born their mother throws herself off a cliff and their au pair disappears. Years later after her father dies she goes through papers and photographs and she has many questions about her mother and her death and what really happened. Interesting novel worth reading.
Told in dual storylines leading up to what happened on one day, this is one compulsive mystery-thriller!  I'm still reeling from the red herrings and twists. I'd think I figured something out and then...nope. And the actuality of what happened kind of blew my mind...I'm still thinking about it.
The Au Pair, a mysterious figure in the life of twins Danny and Seraphine, seems to be the only one who can explain why there is only one baby in the birth-day photo of the twins, and maybe why their mother threw herself from the cliff right after. But the au pair doesn't want to talk to them and their older brother doesn't remember a lot, just that HIS twin died falling from the cliff before Danny and Seraphine were born. The townspeople believe the family is cursed--that no set of twins will survive. But Danny and Seraphine have survived to adulthood.

After the death of their father, Seraphine is determined to get to the bottom of the mysteries, at any cost to herself and her brothers. Barriers are thrown in her path and she is warned time and again but persists in trying to learn the truth. Read The Au Pair by Emma Rous to learn if she is successful. Recommended for those who enjoy a good mystery. Dr. Cheryl Youse, Colqutit County High School
This twisty tale about an au pair who gets drawn into a dysfunctional love triangle kept me turning pages to the end. Told in two different voices, between the past and the present, this story was at times confusing and convoluted but still an enjoyable read.
This is a story told from the POV of the two main characters. The POV are from different periods of the story and alternate back and forth. It took me a bit to keep the storyline straight but once I got in a few chapters, I was off.

I thought at different times during the story that I had figured out the mystery but of course I was wrong. Once I got in to the plot then I didn't want to put the book down. The characters were well developed and I enjoy the book.
This family will need a walk-in closet for all of their skeletons! This story is told in alternating voices, one in the past, and one in the present. A well-to-do family is in need of some help with their son because the father works in London all week and the mother isn't quite herself. The au pair arrives and is thrust into a complicated set up. The events of late 1991 and through the summer of 1992 reached into the present day and continued their complicated story.
While a little predictable, it was still a good tale. Three and a half stars.
An intense, roller coaster of a ride.  One of those thrillers that some might not want to read at first glance, but one that they should definitely take the time to read.  4-5 stars.
Will be highly recommending and using in a daily challenge in Chapter Chatter Pub!
This book held my interest for a while, then the author went a different way then I thought it was going to end. Ending was unbelievable and I didn’t enjoy it.
This is a highly entertaining read, but also somewhat predictable. From the moment you are filled in about the protagonist's "mysterious" birth, there seems to be a clear solution as to what happened. Of course that solution requires some questionable actions of its characters, but that's as to be expected in modern day psychological thrillers. If the characters acted rationally, you wouldn't have a book. While the end isn't shocking or even surprising, it's still a fun read to get lost in for a few hours.
After the death of her father, Seraphine discovers a photo in his belongings that raises questions about her childhood--and the she thinks the au pair living with them at the time of her birth and her mother's death might have the answers she seeks.

This book alternated between Seraphine in the present and the au pair in the past until everything comes together in the end. An entertaining, gothic-style story.
Thanks to NetGalley for providing this review copy.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we... etc.,  This particular deception had lasted from the time the twins were born til they were twenty-five years old, and now one of the twins was curious.  Always having a feeling of isolation and something not right in the family, it was only after her father's death that she finally felt driven enough to pursue her inquiries into her family.   Warned off by family and friends, she remained determined to find an answer.

The answers she finds keep her asking more questions, and in the end the answers are so convoluted it's almost hard to keep them straight!  However, the answers and the way the answers actually came about will keep you interested to the end.

Great book!
I felt really good about this book when I began it but as I continued to read I felt it became flat and a bit predictable. I thought the ending was bad as nothing was really concluded with the death of the mother. A bit of a let down but I still enjoyed it.
After her father’s untimely death, Seraphine finds a perplexing photo of her family taken on the day she and her twin were born… the day her mother leapt from the cliffs near their home to her death.  Yet there is only one baby in the photo and, as Seraphine investigates, more and more things just don’t add up. When questioning her grandmother leads nowhere, Seraphine sets out to find Laura, the au pair who worked for the family at the time.
 The alternating voices of Laura in 1991/2 and Seraphine in the present slowly reveal the messy choices of the past and their impact on the present.  When the web of lies is untangled, can Seraphine and those she loves handle the truth?
I found the alternating voices distracting, but otherwise this is an absorbing family drama and murder mystery rolled into one.  I definitely wanted to find out what would happen next.  The main revelation was a bit on the convoluted side, which may put off some readers, but – hey – I came here for drama and I was not disappointed. I would recommend to patrons.
Engaging the whole way through.  Stayed up late because I needed to know what the answer to the mystery was.  In the end, it was a maybe a little too unbelievable for my tastes but I still enjoyed the ride.
Thank you to Netgalley and Kensington Books for the opportunity to read The Au Pair before its release on January 8, 2019 in exchange for an honest, impartial review.

Wow.  What a crazy, wild ride I just went on.  There was so much going on in the last part of the book I am still in shock.  Currently I am suffering from a book hangover, I’m sad this book is over and I just cannot pick myself up and move on just yet.

The premise of the story is about a wealthy family who lives in their grandmother’s home; The Summerbourne House.  This family is about to uncover a web of secrets that they aren’t sure they can handle.  When the “Summerborn Summerbourne” twins were born, there was a lot of mystery surrounding it.  To top it all off the mother killed herself on the day her twins were born.  Only picture from the day of their birth can be found and the mother is only holding one child; which one and why was only one in the photo?

Before any questions can be answered, the family is faced with another tragedy as their father suddenly and unexpectedly passes (albeit 25 years later).  Seraphine, one of the twins, takes it upon herself to find answers about the day of her birth by seeking out the only person who could have them, the au pair who was there that day taking care of her older brother.

I did not see how this story was being played out.  We have an older brother and a set of twins and the author does a fantastic job at weaving the stories of the children in and out.  One cannot possibly guess what is going to happen with them until the very end of the book.  I could hardly put this book down.  So.  Much.  Happens.  At.  The.  End.

I usually am a fast reader but at the end of this book I had to slow down to keep up with what was happening.  It all comes to the surface at once.  You have to brace yourself, take deep breaths, and prepare yourself for what Seraphine will finally uncover.  Have no fear when it comes to the end, The Au Pair treats us with a fitting ending and an even more appropriate epilogue.  YES!

This is a must read, 5 star book.  It flips from the au pair telling her story in 1992 to Seraphine telling her story in the present day.  The puzzle starts to be put together, but, there are still key pieces missing until the very end which always makes for a great psychological read.  This definitely keeps you guessing and your brain will explode when the truth comes to light at the end of the book.  Wow.  I am just elated that we found out what really happened on the day the twins were born and what came of the truth being set free 25 years later.  Don’t miss out on this read!

***THIS WILL BE PUBLISHED TO WWW.BOOKINTHEBAG.WORDPRESS.COM ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 3RD AT 5:00 AM PACIFIC STANDARD TIME***
***THIS WILL BE FEATURED ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 3RD AT WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM/MRSDMVH***
The concept of this story is very interesting, I just wished that the plot had moved a little faster. I'm not sure that I really liked any of the characters, but I don't think that the writer really wanted me to like them. It was all rather improbable, hard to really connect with the characters. I have a hard time believing that a woman could be pregnant with twins and nobody noticed she was pregnant! I asked an American friend what gaining "two stone" meant to her, and she had no idea, so I suggest you change it to read 28lbs.