Stuck in Manistique

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Nov 2018

I don't remember requesting this book or how I received it. It wasn't really in my normal genre of books so I struggled with the story a bit and did a lot of skimming as this title didn't catch me right off the bat. I did appreciate both Mark and Emilies characters but didn't connect with them.
Couldn't make my way through this. Unbelievable characters, plot, setting.  Not interested in finding out what happens in the end. Do not recommend.
I’ve been reading some really good books lately, and Stuck in Manistique is definitely included in that category!

I was pleasantly surprised with this book.  It was just a fun read. There were some quirky parts and a few serious ones as well, which honestly made the book more enjoyable. I liked the writing and the storyline was unique as well. The characters were all charming and I liked the back and forth between Mark and Emily. and the ending was perfect, a great touch to the week in Manistique!

I look forward to reading more from Dennis!
My feedback here is late to the party.  I enjoyed this book, but it was relatively forgettable.  I'd recommend it to others as a quick read.
Thank you for the advanced copy.  I thought this book was suspenseful but I personally didn't care for the writing style.  While I finished the book, I'm not sure I'd read another by this author.
The characters in this book were all running from something--and Manistique brought...or sucked, them together. I appreciated the depth of the characters as well as the humor of their relating.
I could not get into this book. I tried several times and I had trouble connecting with the story due to the writing style. DNF'd at 35%.
Thank you to the author Dennis Cuesta and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for a candid review of the book.

I initially chose this book because I live in the state of Michigan and have grown up visiting the UP where Manistique is located. The book was an interesting story that takes place in Michigan and takes the protaganist into the upper peninsula of Michigan to the small city of Manistique Michigan where Deer Car incidents are commonplace and people eat pasties. The book has a somewhat interesting story line but was hampered by a rather choppy, stilted writing style. I can see that I would love to sit down with the author and be fascinated with his stories, but that voice did not translate very well. The story is a somewhat slap-stick style, humorous story of a quirky set of people who get "stuck in Manistique". But, I really did not understand why the author included some characters and/or what purpose they served. But, I did grow to like the protaganist and his Emily. The story is in need of a good editor who could possibly straighten this out into a more cohesive and readable story.
I thoroughly enjoyed this charming and witty novel by Mr. Cuesta. The intriguing historical background and local color will inspire any reader to visit Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to absorb the engaging mores the author has artfully captured.
I very much enjoyed this book.  It wasn’t a mushy romance story.  It had depth and crushes, but also loss and gains of friends. It really is a fun read and comical at times.  Also nice to read a book about a place most people don’t even think about.
It’s a cute story with quirky characters. It’s an easy, light read. But, it’s also really goofy. Basically it has all the ingredients of a Hallmark channel movie: quaint locale, quirky locals, meet-cute scenarios, madcap happenings and some little mysteries solved. All tied up in a happy ending. It’s not my typical favorite type of book but it was a light read while on vacation. Glad to have rec’d a free copy from Netgalley.
Nope. So boring. I don’t even know what this book is about. Super slow and choppy. Uninteresting characters. Not for me.
This was a brisk title best for a beach read.  I appreciated Cuesta's writing style but did not find anything particularly new or innovative in it.  I read this on a series of flights internationally and it kept me occupied but not fully engrossed.
The lighthearted Stuck in Manistique by Dennis Cuesta will grab your interest and titillate your imagination from the first page to the last.

First, you’ll think it’s a romance, then it slowly turns into a whodunit ala Agatha Christie! There are so many laugh out loud funny moments and so many twists and turns, you won’t be able to turn the pages fast enough.
Sometimes life (God, the universe) sends us into situations we would never have expected, putting us in the path of people we didn’t know were missing from our lives. Mark didn’t expect to be the sole heir to the estate of his Aunt Vivian who he had stopped hearing from years before. As Mark sorts out his aunt’s estate, he gets new insight into the woman she was and the secrets she carried. Enhancing his trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, travelers begin showing up to stay at the bed and breakfast Aunt Vivian was running when she died. Emily Davis who’s witty repartee delights Mark, a confused elderly man and a unique couple trying to circle Lake Michigan in and electric car all complicate what was supposed to be a short simple trip. In his first novel, Dennis Cuesta combines family secrets, stories of friendship and a bit of humorous chaos. Stuck in Manistique is a journey of discovery, healing and building bonds, and reminds us some of the best trips we take are the ones we never planned.
I really enjoyed reading this book. At first I didn't know how I would feel about it, and it took me a while to get into it, but I liked it!
What started off as a fun premise quickly devolved into a book I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to finish, unfortunately. There was no spark to the characters, as each of them were pretty low-key, kind of bland individuals. I ended up envisioning them as bunch of white people just hanging out in this small town. The writer did a good job of depicting the scenery but as the book went on, those descriptions appeared less and less, doing nothing to ground me in that area. Overall, it fell flat to me.

(On an unrelated note: what was up with Mark constantly mentioning/thinking about how much food Emily was eating and putting on? That made me feel uncomfortable).

Thanks to NetGalley and Celestial Eyes Press for the opportunity to read this novel, though I apologize for not reading it in a more timely manner.
This was a very fast read, but I have to admit, I have not laughed quite so hard while reading a book in a long, long time. Loved the character development of Mark and Emily, the plot that connects everyone together, and the descriptions of the area. Great book. Hope the author writes another book in the not too distant future.
Though the premise of this novel was very intriguing, and I was hooked after the first couple of chapters, I was unable to finish this book because I did not connect with the characters and the plot seemed to drag after the first quarter of the book.
When I began reading Stuck in Manistique, I thought I wouldn't like it. The beginning was slow and a bit repetitive. The story did start to pick up, and I ended up enjoying the novel. It was somewhat predictable, but I really felt I knew most of the characters by the end.