Stuck in Manistique

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Nov 2018

Thank you to the author Dennis Cuesta and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for a candid review of the book.

I initially chose this book because I live in the state of Michigan and have grown up visiting the UP where Manistique is located. The book was an interesting story that takes place in Michigan and takes the protaganist into the upper peninsula of Michigan to the small city of Manistique Michigan where Deer Car incidents are commonplace and people eat pasties. The book has a somewhat interesting story line but was hampered by a rather choppy, stilted writing style. I can see that I would love to sit down with the author and be fascinated with his stories, but that voice did not translate very well. The story is a somewhat slap-stick style, humorous story of a quirky set of people who get "stuck in Manistique". But, I really did not understand why the author included some characters and/or what purpose they served. But, I did grow to like the protaganist and his Emily. The story is in need of a good editor who could possibly straighten this out into a more cohesive and readable story.
I thoroughly enjoyed this charming and witty novel by Mr. Cuesta. The intriguing historical background and local color will inspire any reader to visit Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to absorb the engaging mores the author has artfully captured.
I very much enjoyed this book.  It wasn’t a mushy romance story.  It had depth and crushes, but also loss and gains of friends. It really is a fun read and comical at times.  Also nice to read a book about a place most people don’t even think about.
It’s a cute story with quirky characters. It’s an easy, light read. But, it’s also really goofy. Basically it has all the ingredients of a Hallmark channel movie: quaint locale, quirky locals, meet-cute scenarios, madcap happenings and some little mysteries solved. All tied up in a happy ending. It’s not my typical favorite type of book but it was a light read while on vacation. Glad to have rec’d a free copy from Netgalley.
Nope. So boring. I don’t even know what this book is about. Super slow and choppy. Uninteresting characters. Not for me.
This was a brisk title best for a beach read.  I appreciated Cuesta's writing style but did not find anything particularly new or innovative in it.  I read this on a series of flights internationally and it kept me occupied but not fully engrossed.
The lighthearted Stuck in Manistique by Dennis Cuesta will grab your interest and titillate your imagination from the first page to the last.

First, you’ll think it’s a romance, then it slowly turns into a whodunit ala Agatha Christie! There are so many laugh out loud funny moments and so many twists and turns, you won’t be able to turn the pages fast enough.
Sometimes life (God, the universe) sends us into situations we would never have expected, putting us in the path of people we didn’t know were missing from our lives. Mark didn’t expect to be the sole heir to the estate of his Aunt Vivian who he had stopped hearing from years before. As Mark sorts out his aunt’s estate, he gets new insight into the woman she was and the secrets she carried. Enhancing his trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, travelers begin showing up to stay at the bed and breakfast Aunt Vivian was running when she died. Emily Davis who’s witty repartee delights Mark, a confused elderly man and a unique couple trying to circle Lake Michigan in and electric car all complicate what was supposed to be a short simple trip. In his first novel, Dennis Cuesta combines family secrets, stories of friendship and a bit of humorous chaos. Stuck in Manistique is a journey of discovery, healing and building bonds, and reminds us some of the best trips we take are the ones we never planned.
I really enjoyed reading this book. At first I didn't know how I would feel about it, and it took me a while to get into it, but I liked it!
What started off as a fun premise quickly devolved into a book I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to finish, unfortunately. There was no spark to the characters, as each of them were pretty low-key, kind of bland individuals. I ended up envisioning them as bunch of white people just hanging out in this small town. The writer did a good job of depicting the scenery but as the book went on, those descriptions appeared less and less, doing nothing to ground me in that area. Overall, it fell flat to me.

(On an unrelated note: what was up with Mark constantly mentioning/thinking about how much food Emily was eating and putting on? That made me feel uncomfortable).

Thanks to NetGalley and Celestial Eyes Press for the opportunity to read this novel, though I apologize for not reading it in a more timely manner.
This was a very fast read, but I have to admit, I have not laughed quite so hard while reading a book in a long, long time. Loved the character development of Mark and Emily, the plot that connects everyone together, and the descriptions of the area. Great book. Hope the author writes another book in the not too distant future.
Though the premise of this novel was very intriguing, and I was hooked after the first couple of chapters, I was unable to finish this book because I did not connect with the characters and the plot seemed to drag after the first quarter of the book.
When I began reading Stuck in Manistique, I thought I wouldn't like it. The beginning was slow and a bit repetitive. The story did start to pick up, and I ended up enjoying the novel. It was somewhat predictable, but I really felt I knew most of the characters by the end.
It was a good, quick read! I liked the characters, the setting of the whole story, and even the somewhat predictable ending. I look forward to reading more from this author.
I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. For some reason, I assumed it was a sleepy romantic story about a chance encounter. I didn’t expect a light, somewhat comical, and easy read.

I enjoyed this story, and am glad I read this book!

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Overall, this was an easy read. The story focuses on two people, Mark and Emily. Mark travels to Manistique to settle his aunt's estate. It turns out that her home is actually a bed and breakfast. Emily had planned on driving to Mackinac Island to meet up with her boyfriend but gets in an accident with a deer on the way there. Emily finds the bed and breakfast and wants to rent a room there while her car is being fixed. Mark really doesn't want to rent rooms but relents since there is no place else to stay.

Mark and Emily hit it off right away. Through all sorts of twists and turns, Mark and Emily host several other people at the B&B, regardless of Mark's desire to run the place. At times, the comings and goings become very farcical. I'm not sure that it plays well with the overall tone of the book. Mark has people going out the back door to avoid people coming in the front door and vice versa. I don't think that added much to the story and it made it a bit confusing.

I am thinking this is the author's first book, perhaps? Or maybe it just needed (and maybe will get) better editing? There were times where it would say someone went back into the house, but they had never left the house. Not a huge deal when reading, but probably something that could have been caught during the editing process.  Also, I feel like Mark's character wasn't very "clean". He would be easy going one minute and then walk out upset the next. He could take a joke one time and then get upset the next. It was a little jarring to me.

Overall it was a fun read and it really made me want to explore the UP!
I wasn't sure quite what to expect when I picked this book up from Netgalley, but what I found was a charming book about life and family and the things that connect us.  The characters were interesting and quirky and there were a few surprises along the way, including an unexpected comedy of errors sequence.  And while I've never been to the UP, I've always been interested in going there, and this book solidified my desire to visit.  If it happens, I'd be sure to make it to Manistique - it sounds like a lovely little town.  All in all, well done - especially for a first novel.

Thanks to Netgalley and Celestial Eyes Press for providing a copy for an unbiased review.
I enjoyed the twists and turns in this book  - for me it started a bit slowly and seemed far-fetched but I found myself invested in the characters and wondering what would happen next.  The ending to me was predictable but I did enjoy the journey
I received this one from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Stuck in Manistique is a very original story and unlike anything I've ever read or tend to read. Mark finds out that he has inherited an old Victorian house from an aunt who has vanished from his life when he was a teenager. While his life is in Chicago he is intrigued about the house, why it was left to him, and what to do with it now. The story gets quite interesting and entertainingly funny when he actually makes it to the house where he finds his aunt ran a B&B. Once a new host of characters join the tail you will be outright laughing.

Wonderful story, wonderful writing, and one I think everyone will really enjoy.
I can easily see this book made into a movie. Loved the characters with their strengths and weaknesses. It was very down to earth and real.
 It was both funny and serious at times. The many twists and turns of the plot keep you wondering what will happen next.
 Loved the new and unique story line as well.