Cover Image: Soft Thorns

Soft Thorns

Couldn't read it because I can't use this particular file format. I hope sending it to Kindle was an option. Thank you.
It's just another carbon copy of milk and honey - it lacks originality and poetic merit. Line breaks should be carefully considered, not just thrown in to make a poem
Soft Thorns is a poetry collection dealing with the pain of heartbreak and sexual abuse while still embracing the hope and healing that is to come.
I thought it was a good collection but I didn't think it was anything to write home about. It seemed like a collection of short posts that would make for a great instagram account but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be put into a book. It had some good points and it was relatable but overall was just okay to me.
This book has a lot of poems in free verse.

Before this, I had never read a full book written in free verse, however, not that I have, I can’t wait to read more.

The way each poem is built is beautiful and the book’s structure, although expected, was well thought out.

When it comes to the poems, there’s one for everyne. There are some cute ones about love, others about coping with abuse, and more.

To be honest, this book broke my heart and put it back together, I can’t wait to read more stuff like this.

Rating: 4 stars

————–

Little reviewer’s note:

A few weeks after reading this book, I realized that some of these poems are a lot like Rupi Kaur’s. No one in their right minds would try to publish a book with so many books so similar to the ones in a book that wona Goodreads Choice Award. Don’t get me wrond, Devoue didn’t copy all of her poems, which is even sadder because her original poetry is pretty good, she didn’t need to copy anyone.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an earc for an honest review.

Soft Thorns by Bridgett Devoue is sets of poems that takes us the reader through a journey of a women’s life.  As she deals with sexual assault and trauma from it. She also deals with love found and lost.

There was a few that I connected with but not many but there was also a few more I liked that talked about fire within and a flame.
Soft Thorns is Bridgett Devoue’s first poetry collection and is about heartbreak, freedom, oppression, sexual assault, sexism, hope and humanity. Soft Thorns is divided into 5 chapters: bleed, love, scar, learn and heal.

maybe we fall
in love with sad eyes
because we see our souls
reflected in them

When I started reading My letter to you, so the first few pages, I was already so interested and amazed because I could already feel Bridgett Devoue’s emotions.

scars may fade
but they last forever

Soft Thorns was such a beautiful poetry collection. I finished it in one sitting, it was just that good. I really liked Bridgett Devoue’s writing style and the way she displayed her poems together with some beautiful illustrations. Too bad that these poems didn’t have titles because then my ‘favourite poems’ list would be never-ending!

i gave you a home in my heart
and when you left
you forever took a
part of me with you

Soft Thorns is definitely one of my favourite poetry collections and I cannot wait to read more written by Bridgett Devoue!
Soft Thorns by Bridgett Devoue is a poetry collection focusing on themes such as love, heartbreak, oppression, sexual assault and sexism. Broken into sections - bleed, love, scar, learn, heal - Devoue’s poetry is unbridled and powerful. Devoue does wonders exploring the journey from broken to healed, particularly that of a woman living in today’s patriarchal society.
	Although at times I found the pacing and the length of the poems to be lacking, the overall story that Devoue tells is breathtaking. It is a story all about being a woman and being strong despite everything that the world throws at you. Each poem packs a powerful punch, leaving behind a feeling that tells you that you aren’t alone in your struggles in this world.
	As someone who truly enjoys poetry and almost obsessively reads it, I highly recommend this book. If you enjoyed the works of Rupi Kaur, Amanda Lovelace or Trista Mateer, you will most likely enjoy Soft Thorns. And if you’re anything like me, you’ll want to read it again and again!
Loved it.
Wonderful words.
Absolutely loved it.
Very introspective.
Very soft and gentle indeed
3.5, close to 4 stars but not quite for me. Content warning for themes of sexual assault, body dysmorphia, eating disorders potentially, and a little bleeding/blood-related imagery.

I love poetry. It's a highly personal, subjective experience. The author put so much of their heart and soul onto the pages, I could absolutely tell that through the themes of love and heartbreak and even sexual assault and feminism. There is an overarching theme of finding hope and light in the darkness and learning to heal.

The book is separated into 4 sections: bleed, love, scar, learn. And while each section has its own theme, the sections definitely tie together overall. But while reading each poem, sometimes I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again, like there would be a few poems expressing the same ideas in nearly the exact same way and words. There was also a strange disconnect for me as I continued reading, because the poems kept going and going along the same thought process for the same short sentence or stanza and it just...all felt the same, like it was blending together. Even the illustrations started to look much the same.

But I did like quite a few of the poems, even though some of them were only a phrase or short stanza:
"love is a necessary tragedy"
and
"romantics are the new rebels"
as well as
"love makes us immortal
in the hearts of others
and mortal in our fear
that it could all be gone
one day"

So I enjoyed this poetry collection and I would check out the author's next work, see how Bridgett Devoue tackles other themes as they grow as a person and writer. Overall, poetry is subjective for every writer and reader, and I think fans of Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace would enjoy this collection, particularly for the style and feminist themes portrayed inside.

I received a free digital ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed herein are solely my own.
I liked this book a lot! It is similar to modern poetry books, yes, but honestly it didn't bother me because each writer has to tell his/her story and this one was beautifully executed. I enjoyed the artwork! Mostly the roses, but also the female figures. The book is divided in sections and each one is better than the one before. I read it in two hours, since I started relating my experiences with those of the writer and it was cathartic, I could say.

All in all, I would recommend it to anyone, since issues of love, heartbreak, "self", sexism, depression resonate within all of us, if you don't mind my generalization.
Soft Thorns is a debut poetry collection in 5 chapters: bleed, love, scar, learn, heal.
I found most poems powerful and touching.
The poetess shares a lot of her experience and I think we can feel everything she feels. It was very relatable at times and I found myself tearing up.
I flew through this book, always wanting to know what came next.
I'm really looking forward to reading more from this author.
Soft Thorns is a beautifully stunning book. I read it in a day and I freaking loved it. I though it was so well constructed and so well-thought. My favorite part is definitely the last one (Heal) since it made me feel kind of optimistic. The hardest and the most powerful at the same time, part was the Heartbreak one.

The meanings of pain, love, sadness, happiness, heartbreak were there and I felt them. I got the chills while reading this poetry collection.

The fact that the author chose to share some personal situations and her hurting because of disorders, abuse and heartbreak, is truly amazing. Her poems left me shaken. They were raw but in such an extrordinary way.

_________________________________
FAVORITE POEMS
“once learned
that being pretty
was not a talent
i got my power back”
“beauty is a curse the rose knows well
always picked first you never get a chance to grow”
_________________________________

From this book, I am keeping everything. The heartbreak, the pain, the bleeding, all the bad things. But most importantly the healing. The hope and the empowerment. The encouragment it gives to women especially young ones. And how even the broken hearts are beautiful.

This is perfect for fans of Rupi Kaur's work. It reminded me so much of Milk & Honey, but Soft Thorns had its own unforettable beauty. You won't be able to put it down.
I had a lot of expectations because I had seen this book around a lot when it comes to the poetry community, it always popped on my suggestions on Amazon so I finally gave in.
The poetry within the pages tells stories of love and heart break, sexual assault, hope and humanity.
As much as I sympathise with the poet and respect her for sharing her experiences in life as far as poetry is considered the 1/2 part was very basic and plain. I didn't find anything poetic at all. The second half was much better and had some really good quotes.
I'll be brutally honest and say it was a 2/5 ⭐ mainly because the Nectar Of Pain by Najwa Zebain have set my standards of a book being 1/5 and this one wasn't that bad🙊🙊
Author Bridgett Devoue created poems that touch us with the real emotions and intense conflicts of the heart. Sometimes we need a reminder of specific experiences, and she gives us no choice but to respond to the realness and intensity that goes with the topic. I felt many emotions and had a different way of seeing things, thanks to the way each subject is expressed. I loved it
The title hold more attraction but whats inside the book is just unexplainable.what shout i say its a must read man!
soft thorns by bridgett devoue is a collection of poems. The poems, while many of short - very short - are written with feeling. This collection is a quick read and enjoyable. Especially if you're a fan of Rupi Kaur. This collection touches on several topics, including sexual violence, heartbreak and love. In regards to the sexual violence, I wish that there was a some sort of warning at the beginning of the collection so that readers were thoroughly warned. The style of the poems did make it a bit difficult for me to read. The lack of capitalization and whatnot didn't sit well with me personally, but to other readers, they could very well like the style. To each their own.
Of the collection, there were several micropoems that I'd fallen in love with. Two of which are:
you've already fallen
in love with my angels
so how could you ever
love my demons?
and
you picked my petals
thinking i was a wallflower
not knowing i'm a rose
with thorns
Soft Thorns is the experiences of a woman who has been low and broken hearted. Her words are not angry and destructive reflecting her hurt and deep loss but healing and inspiring to ease your own pain.
Wisdom is not gained in books but through living and falling in love is like jumping from high altitude hoping you’ll find a soft landing or a parachute along the way.
Words can empower and strengthen especially when spoken by someone who has been in the pit of despair and knows the darkest of times. This author not only opens her heart through sharing her thoughts she bears her soul.
Aside from following my heart the hardest thing I have done is walk the Pennine Way. Only a fool would venture onto those hills without a guide or maps.
In Soft Thorns we have someone who has made the journey from broken to healed; found a means to survive and is full of belief. Where others may be full of bitterness Bridgett Devoue has a mind that has found the safe ground and a heart filled with hope and love.
As married man with two beautiful grown up daughters I marvel at my ignorance of a woman’s psyche. I have highlighted so may sound bites from these profound poems and spoken thoughts. If I re-read these words I sure another bunch of wisdom will be chosen.
“I never knew a better sound than my name on your lips.”
“you’re having sex while I’m making love.”
“we choose to stay numb because we think it keeps us safe
but the most dangerous thing we can do is to forget how to feel.”
Powerful stuff, freely shared and available in part through social media or bound together like a life saving parachute or raft in this wonderful book.
Soft Thorns is a very honest and raw collection of modern poetry. Dividing her book into five different sections, Bridgett Devoue shares poems dealing with various topics, taking the reader on a journey through her life.

Even though some of the poems really hit home to me, most of them weren't relatable to me at all. This meant that my reading experience wasn't as satisfying as it could have been. That is, however, not to say that it is a bad book. I think fans of for example milk and honey will very much enjoy Devoue's work.

Lastly, I would like to leave you with my very favourite poem of the entire collection:

he showed me a picture
of a beautiful girl
soft skin and lingerie

can you believe she's a lawyer?

words that crack like a whip
every time i hear them

reading a book
writing a thesis
arguing a point
winning a case
Soft Thorns was a lovely read. There were a few pieces in the collection that really stood out to me. Overall, it was a solid collection.