Winter in Paradise

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2019

Winter in Paradise might just be my favorite Elin Hilderbrand novel and I really enjoy all her books. This one is set in the Caribbean and now I must travel there. (Winter is too long in Wisconsin.) I just finished the book and wish I could read the second in the series now. Surely it is a series because I have many questions and I am not ready to say goodbye to these dynamic characters.@elinhilderbrand when can I read the rest of the story? #elinhilderbrand #Winterinparadise #netgalley

Posted on Instagram @JanetReads
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand. I’ve read several of Hilderbrand’s books - nice easy beach reads- but this one....  it took me quite a while to get through it. I kept putting it down but, have finally finished it.   I found the characters superficial and unbelievable. The plot was just as unbelievable. I hated the way it ended - even knowing it’s the first of a trilogy. Even beach reads deserve some substance.
I have recently fallen in love with Elin Hilderbrand’s books and I don’t know what took me so long- they are right up my alley. I dove in partially because I recently moved to New England, but this one set in the Caribbean still reeled me in. I so wanted to know what was going on with the husband’s secret life... at one point I thought he and his lover might have faked their deaths and run away together! I guess that could still be possible if book 2 in the series provides the twist. Light, fun read— as usual with her books, you can’t go wrong.

Elin does it again with another wonderful story that draws you in right from the beginning!
I am now waiting in anticipation for the next book in this series. Her description makes me want to visit the island, just like Nantucket.
This is not my first Elin Hilderbrand book, nor will it be my last! I love her style of writing and find that I'm very into her storylines. It's full of mystery and drama and I felt like the characters were so interesting! If you like a book that will leave you guessing on what's going to happen, this is it!
Another great book by Elin HIlderbrand.

Elin is able to weave a great story. I  have read stories before similar in nature, but this one was very well written and I loved the character development.
Amazing story! Such a sweet read. really enjoyed it! Great read for anyone looking to find a great one to curl up with!
Intriguing plot and story. Characters are likeable and I found myself enjoying their lives. Book leaves you hanging though..can't wait until the next one.
Elin Hilderbrand is one of my go to authors, especially when it comes to island settings. This is a great introduction to a new series, taking place on St. John. This book, like her others, is full of relatable characters, real issues (although not issues I would ever have to deal with) and an original mystery storyline. The story is told through several character POVs and that gives the reader a full insight into what is happening. Each of the six characters that tell this story have connections to Russ Steele.

It’s New Year’s when Irene Steele receives a phone call that rocks her life. Irene is a mid-western magazine editor, with two grown sons, who is embarrassed by her husband’s outward showing of affection. She is happy spending time alone in her huge Victorian home while her husband Russ is off working throughout the U.S. When the news of her husband’s death in a helicopter crash over the water of the Virgin Islands, with an unknown woman, hits her, she heads off to his island home to find out what is going on. Her sons, Baker and Cash, who are both dealing with their own personal issues meet her there. Once in St. John's both sons fall for Ayers, the best friend of their father’s mistress and that ratchets up the competitiveness that the boys have dealt with all their lives.

Winter in Paradise is the first book in what is going to be a Trilogy. There were so many questions in the first book and they were not all solved. The relationships discovered were shocking and a bit scandalous. You will be transported to a beautiful island that is richly described to the point that I really want to go and see it for myself. The ending also leaves us with another detail that had me saying "what?" I started this book in the morning and read it straight through until I finished it late in the day. I am looking forward to where Elin Hilderbrand will take us next. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book upon request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
I love this book and look forward to the next installment in Paradise!  I felt an instant connection to Irene Steele. It's always amazing how secrets have a way being exposed and leaving others to deal with the fallout.  This is a true-to-life novel at its finest!
Pure chick-lit reading pleasure, with just a hint of mystery.  Likable - and unlikable! - characters, and a setting to yearn for.  Hilderbrand may have single-handedly increased tourist travel to St. John's.  Island living, Midwestern sensibility - so much to enjoy!  Great start to a new series.
"Winter in Paradise" is the  start of another amazing Winter series from Elin Hilderbrand. Set in the Virgin Islands, Irene and her grown sons are called from their homes in the US on New Years Day when they receive the news that the patriarch of the family, Russ, has died in a helicopter crash.

This is a beach story but so much more, it's a family story as well as a romance with a mystery to solve.  What was Russ Steele doing in the Virgin Islands? Why was he in a helicopter at all? Who was the woman with him?

Do we ever really know the people in our lives? The book gave some of those answers but left us with plenty of questions so I am excited to see where this story goes in the next book, probably due Fall 2019.

Thanks so much to #netgalley, #Littlebrownandcompany & #ElinHilderbrand for sending me this advance reader copy in exchange for this review.

Go get this book now! It's good!!
I really enjoyed this book.  The characters were fun and interesting.  The plot was intriguing as well.  Judging by the cliffhanger ending, we will be treated to another book in this new series.   Can’t wait to read it.
Winter in Paradise is only the second book that I’ve read so far by Elin Hilderbrand, (the first was The Perfect Couple, which I really enjoyed), and I am finding myself wanting to read her stories more and more! Though I have a few of Elin’s books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, this new book seemed to be calling to me, so I decided to read it asap. I’m so glad that I did!

Winter in Paradise is the first book in Elin’s new Paradise series, and I have to say this series is off to a great start! To be honest, I did not realize that this was the first book of the series until I was nearing the last few chapters and I realized that things were not wrapping up the way that I was expecting them to. I was so engrossed in the story that I didn’t realize how quickly the end came along. Once I realize that this was going to be a series, I was pretty happy, as I have SO many questions that were left unanswered! I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in the series.

The book has an interesting group of characters, (a few that I found really relatable), and a great setting as well. Reading this book made me want to be at the beach, and visit St. John Island, which sounds like a really awesome place. The details were great, and I love it when a book makes me want to visit somewhere!

Though I had an e-ARC of this book, I discovered that there was an audiobook version of the story, and I opted to listen to that instead. I’m so glad I did! Erin Bennett did a great job of narrating the book, and often times had me so hooked to the story that I had to stop what I was doing to listen along.

Overall; Winter in Paradise is an excellent start to the new Paradise series by Elin Hilderbrand! The book has interesting characters and an engrossing storyline, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book so I can see what’s going to happen next. I have not found any information on the next book yet, but I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for it, but in the meantime I have a stack of Elin’s previous books sitting on my shelf just waiting to be read, and I can't wait to dive into them. If you’re looking for a great beach read to check out during the upcoming cold months that are ahead of us, do check out Winter in Paradise!!

Happy Reading!!
A good winter break read. This first novel of a new series takes us to the Caribbean island of St. John.  An unexpected death reveals deceit and unknown family members. New characters become new friends.  I am already looking forward to the next book of this series.
Wow! This was an amazing book!  I loved the ending, knowing there will be more to come. Sad I have to wait for more.  From the beginning of the book, each chapter kept me wanting to read the next. This author has always been my favorite, Each book she writes I like better than the rest. The characters were from the Midwest, which I can relate to living in Wisconsin. The events Irene has to go through could happen to anyone this book is a mystery, which is something this author doesn’t usually write. It also has a bit of romance..  Excited to have others read this book.
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. GRRRRRRR! I hate cliff hangers, but I love Elin Hildebrand more so she gets a pass. This is setting up to be a very exciting series. Two families' worlds are twisted upside down by one plane crash. Irene is left trying to figure out who the man was she has been married to. Great characters and one twist after another. Can't wait for the next installment.
Thank you  NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

The beginning of another winning series by Hilderbrand. It includes mystery, complicated characters and intertwined relationships.

Irene believes that she has a good life. Her two sons are grown and on their own. She has a lovely home that she has remodeled and decorated. She has a loving husband with a very demanding job. She has her own career with the magazine. Suddenly, her world is turned upside down when she receives a call telling her that her husband has died in an accident on the island of St. John.
She is sad and puzzled as to why her husband, Russ, would be on St. John.
The bits and pieces that Irene finds out about her husband’s job and his travels do not add up. Determined to get to the bottom of things and to have all of her questions answered, she travels to St. John. Parts of the puzzle are solved in this book. However, new questions arise at the end and obviously need to continue in the next installment in this series.
I just spent the last 2 days escaping to the island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands with Irene Steele and her family! Once I began reading about the characters in this book, I got caught up in their lives and couldn't put this book down! Elin Hilderbrand has done it again, taking her readers away to a beautiful vacation spot, complete with family drama, romance and intrigue.
Irene Steele had a pretty decent life- a great career, a marriage to a successful man, Russ (who travels a lot, but loves her deeply), a beautiful house she decorated herself and 2 sons who are grown up, one with his own family and one trying to find his way in the World. Until suddenly, on New Year's Day, her life is turned upside down when she finds out that the doting husband she thought she knew was in an accident in the Virgin Islands. Russ was riding in a helicopter with the mistress he had secretly been with for years, unbeknownst to Irene. Irene and her sons immediately travel to the Island to learn more about Russ' accident and the secrets he had been keeping from them all. While in St. John, Irene and her sons meet some interesting characters who help provide answers to some of their questions.
Winter in Paradise is the first book in Hilderbrand's Paradise trilogy and I can't wait for the next 2 books so I can find out more about these characters and their compelling story.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the copy of this book to review.
Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand is the first in a new series, and it did not disappoint! I liked the characters and the setting... as an Iowa girl, I really enjoyed reading a story that was partially set here and seeing the references to familiar places. It’s very typical of the author’s work... a well written story with some romance, some intrigue, and a lot of heart. The ending left me excited to get my hands on the next installment.... so please write faster, Elin!! 😊