Cover Image: Limetown

Limetown

This book is the prequel to the podcast.  This is the story of 300 people disappearing without a trace and the family that they left behind.  Can the families find out what happened?
Limetown by Cote Smith is truly an interesting and unique read. Thank you to NetGalley for introducing me to Cote Smith’s Limetown with an ARC. The story is told thru 2 people, written as in third person, not first person. The first person to start off the story is Lia (Emilie's niece) and the second is told thru Émile. Lia has an overly complicated family life, even more complicated past family life. There were times in her father’s and uncle’s life that seemed to have some mystery involved. During this time, her Uncle Émile would go away for days on end, sometimes shorter or longer, depending upon his mood. One day Émile “disappeared” never to be seen ever again.
	Times during Lia’s childhood seemed to mirror her uncle’s life, but it was Lia’s mother who disappear for a day or even days. Lia always worried about her mom when she did this. As the past of where it concerns Emile and his brother, you get a better sense of the novel, more about the relationship between the brothers. Not to mention, you find out about their foster homes and how they were treated there. One thing that I absolutely love about Limetown is not everything is foreseeable, spelled out for you, and keeps you on your toes. I love a writer who gives you information , but you the reader have to pick up clues and decide things for yourself.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
I appreciate having had an opportunity to read and review this book. The appeal of this particular book was not evident to me, and if I cannot file a generally positive review I prefer simply to advise the publisher to that effect and file no review at all.
This just wasn't for me.  I finished it but it was painful.  It is a prequel to the podcast but I was lost and just couldn't get into the story.  3oo men and women disappear from Limetown.  Lia's uncle Emile is one of the people missing  and she is looking for answers.  You will be taken on her search for answers.  Told from two points of view Lia's and Emile.

I always try to find something I like in a book but for this one I just couldn't.  I was bored with it and I didn't like Lia. I think this book would be enjoyed by fans of the podcast.
Beings that this was a prequel to the podcast, I thought I would be okay not having listened to the podcast. I was okay, but okay, okay. I Am sure someone who has listened enjoyed this more than I did. Lia Haddock is a student journalist whose is investigating the disappearance of her uncle Emile Haddock and three hundred men, women, and children at a research facility in Limetown,Tennessee. This is told by Lia in the present and Emile in the past. I hear the podcast is awesome, but this left me wondering. I am giving this a 3 star review.
Thank  you Netgalley and the publisher
Unfortunately, I could not get into this book. This book was DNF since it did not keep me interested.
Have you ever read a book that you just didn't see the ending coming? Limetown was that book for me. I started listening to the podcast then found out this book was coming out and decided to not listen to the podcast until I was done reading. I am glad I did. This Prequel to the podcast covers so much of Lia Haddoks life before she became a journalist. There are so many twists and turns in this book and maybe if I had listened to the podcasts I would see things coming but since I didn't I enjoyed those twists and turns.

Cote Smith does a good job of setting up his characters they are not always reliable which is good for a mystery. However, I really enjoyed the spunk of Lia, the loyalty she has for her family. Smith did a great job of setting up the scene for the story and the mystery behind Lia's Uncle Emile's disappearance even before Limetown. If you love the Podcast, you should read this book you won't regret it. If you haven't listened to the Podcast read this book then enjoy the rest of the mystery.

Thanks, Netgalley for the opportunity to read Limetown in lieu of my honest review.
I have one word for this book. Addictive. I couldn't put it down. From the first chapter until the end, I was hooked. The way the story unfolds captivated me and sent me further into the investigation wanting to know more. Sooooo Good!
I read the book before I listened to the podcast, however I read this book in October, which was perfect timing. The story is engrossing and haunting. We live in an era of podcast and this book marries well with those who are new to Limetown and those who are well acquainted. You won't want to miss this booK!
This book tells the story of Limetown, an isolated Tennessee village, where everyone has vanished. It's told from two perspectives - Emile and his niece Lia. Emile has disappeared and Lia is searching for him, and for answers. Emile's story is rather fascinating, and you want to believe that he finds happiness, a place to belong, and that he really is 'special.' I found Lia's story much less engaging, and like she was there as a method to tell Emile's story.

I had a hard time with the ending of this book. It felt very sudden, very vague, and it left me feeling very dissatisfied with the story.

I didn't know until after I had read the book that Limetown is also a podcast, and I'm wondering if perhaps the intent is that this should drive you to listen to the podcast. Perhaps some of the answers I'd be interested in would be found there.
I was so excited to read this prequel as I was unfamiliar with the podcasts and thought this was a great way to enter the whole storyline.  Emile was the only character I really cared about.  I confess to only reading a little over a third of the way through, but felt the plot was stalling, so I stopped.  It maybe just wasn't my cup of tea.
"Limetown" eBook was published in 2018 and was written by Cote Smith (https://www.cotesmith.com). Mr. Smith has published two novels. This novel is the prequel to the popular podcast of the same name.

I categorize this novel as ‘PG’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set about ten years ago, mostly in Kentucky. The primary character is seventeen-year-old Lia Haddock.

Haddock's mother has been acting strangely. Over 300 people have disappeared from a research center in Limetown, Kentucky. Among them are Haddock's uncle, Emile Haddock, who she barely remembers. Young Haddock is an aspiring journalist and finds herself compelled to seek answers to the disappearance.

She finds that her parents have been keeping secrets from one another and from her. She finds a mystery surrounding her uncle. She finds that she is not the only one seeking Emile Haddock.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 7+ hours I spent reading this 304-page science fiction mystery. I had not listened to the podcast when I read this novel, but have now. The story is a little odd and borders on the paranormal. I would recommend reading it before listening to season 1, but even afterward it will be of value to the fan of the Limetown podcast. It does explain a lot of the backstory for what happens in season 1 of the podcast. I am not a fan of the chosen cover art. I give this novel a 4 out of 5.

Further book reviews I have written can be accessed at https://johnpurvis.wordpress.com/blog/.

My book reviews are also published on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/31181778-john-purvis).
I listened to and loved the first season of the Limetown podcast, but unfortunately this prequel, in this particular medium, just didn't sing for me.
I've actually never listened to the Limetown podcast but the story behind it sounded so interesting I had to see what it was all about and what better way than to read the "origin/prequel story"?

It's a really interesting "what the F?" type of story - which I LOVE. What the heck happened to all the people of Limetown!? Lia, a journalism student is really interested in the departed and is determined to investigate and find out what happened. Emile's story is interesting and mysterious and the way they intertwine is really compelling

I do think I am a bit late to the party and this is more geared towards the podcast readers. I felt like I was missing a bit of stuff and there was some inside jokes happening that I wasn't privy to nor understood. And a lot of - "ummm yea, no way" things happened that I kinds thought were a bit farfetched. That being said I don't think m review should be counted as a valid review - I'd rather listen to the podcast and revisit! So I won't share anywhere but here -and I'm looking forward to getting more into this series and getting to know Lia more!
Full Disclosure: I've never listened to Limetown.

I requested this book from NetGalley because the synopsis intrigued me. Unfortunately I found it to be middling average. While there were some shining, interesting parts, on a whole the novel was poorly paced and dull. As a companion to the podcasts this may work, I don't know, but it certainly didn't inspire a need to find out.

Thanks to NetGalley, Cote Smith, and Simon & Schuster for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Im so glad I took the opportunity to read this. Fascinating and had me so engrossed for the next page.
4 stars! Now, I want to listen to the podcast!
Thank you #Netgalley, the author and the publisher for my free ARC in exchange for my honest review!
I'm a fan of the Limetown podcast, which is what led me to picking up this book. Because of that, I'm going to review this in two parts: as a standalone novel and as a novel in series with the podcast.

As a standalone book, Limetown is a fun, exciting read. It has two separate, but intersecting storylines with a cast of characters appearing in both. The reader can draw parallels from the journeys of the both Lia and Emile throughout the book. There are some foreshadowed and some unexpected twists and turns that keep the reader engaged and the story progressing.

However, in relation to the podcast itself, I think Limetown produces more questions than it actually answers. It contradicts some of the events or presumptions of the podcast such as Lia's knowledge or lack there of Limetown. It felt like an unnecessary addition to the series, despite giving some background on Emile and other characters that show up in the podcast.

Overall, I enjoyed Limetown. It was a good read. But I warn fans of the podcast that it may not be what you expected. Go in without any preconceived notions.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book on NetGalley in exchange for this review.
Thank you NetGalley for sending me this ARC an exchange for an honest review

As a person who has never listened to the podcast, I expected reading the “prequel” would motivate me to listen to it but unfortunately, it didn’t.

This book follows Lia and Emile Haddock. Lia is Emile’s niece and her uncle goes missing in the mysterious Limetown. Her quest throughout the book is to find some answers about Limetown. Lia’s determination to find answers about Limetown and her uncle are still unclear to me. The plot, characters, and narrative were all blah to me. I found myself bored and marked it DNF.

I normally dislike giving up in the middle of a book, but I just could not power through this.
Rating :: 3 out of 5 Stars

While the book states that you don't need to listen to the Limetown podcast to enjoy this book (which is technically correct), I actually recommend that you do listen to it prior to reading.  It helps to make things a little less confusing.  Also, the book spoils parts of the podcast, so if you do plan on listening to it, you should really listen first.

While I don't want to go into too much detail as to not spoil either book or podcast, I will say that fans of the podcast will enjoy this and how it enhances what they already know.  For those who don't like the podcast, I would not bother reading this as you won't enjoy it.  For everyone else, enjoyment will be about a 50/50 shot of enjoyment.