Catching Christmas

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

Cab driver Finn's personality really shines in this story as he comes to care for a sick, elderly lady he totes to and from her medical appointments. Both his character and the lady's granddaughter, Sydney, are well-developed and entertaining.

Catching Christmas hits all the right notes with the perfect amount of Christmas levity, genuine emotion born of love and loss, and the gentle spirit of Christmas inviting us to approach the babe in the manger.

One of my favorite Christmas reads!
The idea was just so ludicrous, it made the sweet story of an unlikely friendship and unusual romance a little bit silly. Finn was incredibly long-suffering, his boss was unusually patient, and Sydney's work situation was beyond frustrating.
I love Terri Blackstock's novels, and this is a departure from her normal suspense driven novels. Catching Christmas is a heart-warming story filled with humor and hope. This book had me in laughter and tears. Told in first person from two different perspectives, the characters come to life as cab driver Finn Parrish picks up a fare that changes his life forever. Catching Christmas is a sweet, emotional story for the holidays, and reminds us of what’s important in life. This should be made into a Hallmark Christmas movie!

I received an ebook review copy of this book through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
This book is perfection from the cover to every word inside! I love a good holiday book but I’m always worried i won’t loce them and it’s just about the holiday hype. Nope! This book has it all. Pick this up, grab a cup of hot chocolate and sit by the Christmas tree to dive in this amazing book!!
Laugh out loud funny, this tender romance has some very quirky characters and delivers a delightful Christmas romance.  A taxi-driver, a lawyer and  a sweet little old lady with dementia remind us of what is truly important in this life.
Cute Christmas story with a great message. There were times in this book where I laughed so hard! There were other times I found myself saying “aww!” And there were other times where I found myself on the verge of tears. All range of emotions through this book. Great quick Christmas read. I enjoyed it.
I received a digital copy of this book from netgalley. This has in no way influenced my review. I was under no compulsion to write a review. All thoughts are my own.
This was a surprisingly good book.  I am used to Holiday books being a little sappy and too predictable, but this one had a decent plot and characters that drew you into the story.  I was eager to keep reading and find out how it ended.  Wonderful!
Title:  Catching Christmas

Author: Terri Blackstock

Chapters: 32

Pages: 304

Genre: Christmas

Rating: 3.5

As Far as I know Catching Christmas is Terri Blackstock’s First Christmas book.  Sydney Batson is a first year Law associate who isn't really doing a good job of balancing her career as a lawyer and taking care of her grandmother.  Finn Parrish is a cab driver who finds himself becoming a personal cab driver to Miss Callie a wheelchair-bound elderly lady with Dementia who happens to be Sydney's grandmother. Because Sydney keeps calling cabs to take her grandmother to the doctor.
However, there’s more to the story Callie is determined to play match maker. Rather it's with Sydney and Finn or Sydney and some other guy. Miss Callie doesn't want Sydney to be alone.  Miss Callie was a sweet elderly lady who reminded me of my own grandmother. Maybe a little too much.  I could relate to some of the story Sydney was going through not the whole first year associate stuff but the stuff that happened towards the end as some of that happened to me around Christmas one year when I was 16 and the other stuff happened to me back in May.
Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock for the most part is a sweet Christmas story, but for me it hit to close to home. But I do feel like others who enjoy this read. But have tissues handy.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

I just adored this Christmas novella! I’ve read books by Blackstock in the past, but this one is a bit different, and it’s perfect for the holiday season.

Sydney is a busy lawyer on the verge of losing her job. She has little time to care for her ailing grandma, Callie. Callie meets Finn when she takes a cab to a doctor appointment, and she soon calls on him to take her to appointments all over town. She is determined to find a date for Sydney for Christmas. Finn thinks the plan is crazy, but he continues to help the nice old lady, as Sydney's presence seems virtually non-existent. Will Callie succeed in creating a Christmas Sydney will never forget?

This is a hugely emotional read (running the gamut from laughter to tears). Callie was, by far, my favorite character, but Finn was a close second. Callie’s faith is inspirational. It’s also easy to feel a bit frustrated with Sydney, who seems to place her job above everything else. This is a relatively quick read with good character development. The message is one pertaining to family at the holiday season, so if you’re looking for a sweet holiday read, this is one book to check out.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley, but I wasn’t required to leave a positive review.
I received this book "Catching Christmas" from NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own. Definitely a fun Holiday read. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline. Great story from beginning to end. Loved Miss Callie! She is a sweetheart! Just an all around wonderful story.
Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock is a Christmas short story. Sydney Batson is a first-year law associate with a pressing court case. So, when her grandmother needs to go to the doctor, she arranges for a cab to take her, since she can’t leave court. Flynn Parrish responds to a call never expecting to pick up a sick, little old lady with dementia. As Flynn drives Carrie around on her errands he begins to care about her. Carrie’s greatest Christmas wish is for her granddaughter to be happy. This was such a sweet story. The only draw back was that it was written in first person; and skipped back and forth between Sydney and Flynn too often. The story-line caught your attention and held it throughout. Never forget the people in your life. Take care of them, spend time with them. Just be there for them. One day you may find that they are no longer here on earth and you don’t want to have any regrets. Make each day count.

I received this book from Celebrate Lit in exchange for my honest review.
CATCHING CHRISTMAS is a different sort of Christmas story and a different sort of book by Ms. Blackstock. Nothing suspenseful about this at all, its a very sweet Christmas story about an older woman who needs help and is very forgetful, her overworked and stressed out granddaughter and the cab driver who is stuck in the middle.

Finn is a sweetheart, though he does have the typical male rough edges. Sydney is between a rock and a hard place and I hurt for her, though wow I can't believe the impossible situation her bosses put her in.  And Callie - who wouldn't love her?

The book ends sort of sad and left me down, not a feel good ending--even though it ends with Ms. Callie being in a good place. Not a typical romance, happy-ever-after ending, it feels rather unfinished. I'd love to know what happens with Sydney and Finn.  I'm going to classify it as more women's fiction than romance as it seems to fit more in that genre to me.

If you are looking for a different sort of Christmas book, I do recommend CATCHING CHRISTMAS.  It is very different. Outside the box.

I was given a copy free. All opinions are my own.
This was a lovely Christmas story filled with love, laughter, and even some sad moments. It reminded me somewhat of the Hallmark Christmas movies I watch every year. In my opinion, this was the best Christmas book I have read this year so far! If you are someone who loves anything Christmas, then this book is for you!

I received a complimentary copy of this novel by Thomas Nelson. Opinions and views of this novel are completely my own.
It's been a while since I've read a story by Terri Blackstock. Catching Christmas was a thought-provoking, sad but encouraging read. I loved the way Ms. Blackstock's characters found redemption and peace despite the roller coaster they experience throughout the story. It's an unusual Christmas story but one you won't forget, even after you read the final page. I truly enjoyed it.

A positive review was not required in any way. It was my pleasure to read this free book - 2018.
Catching Christmas is not your typical book you were normally read by Terri Blackstock. However, I thought it was a great read. I found it to be delightful and fun. It had some laugh out loud moments that you would embarrass yourself if reading in public. It, also, had some touching and sweet moments.
I am giving Catching Christmas five plus stars. It should not be missed this Christmas season.
I highly recommend Catching Christmas.
This reminded me of the Hallmark Christmas movies. It is a sweet story that focuses on the importance of spending time with people with you love. The main characters are a cab driver, a grandmother and a granddaughter. Finn, the cab driver, gets directed to pick up someone to take them to the doctor’s office. He is expecting a normal call, get there pick them up and drop them off, however when he meets Callie, the grandmother, nothing is as he expected. Finn goes above his normal duties for Callie and because of his actions it was easy to fall for him.

Callie is an elderly lady suffering with memory loss and falls asleep in an instant. The moments when she is lucid are entertaining and sweet. She is able to remember Finn’s caring behaviour from the previous day requests him as her driver again and so the adventure begins. Finn is no longer just her chauffeur but quickly forms a bond with her that has him wanting to take care of her.

Ever since Finn’s first interaction with Callie, he formed an opinion about her family members and they were not pleasant. But then he meets Sydney, the granddaughter, and gets know why she wasn’t there and his opinion begins to change. The two end up bonding while caring for Callie. I enjoyed watching the growth of this relationship and both learning to put what is important in their lives first.

This is a story that will have you feeling compassion for each character, and realizing just how valuable time spent with people is. There are moments that will sadden you, but there are also times that are filled with humor. I especially enjoyed the sarcastic comments that will have you chuckling. This was a true feel good Christmas story and would be perfect to be turned into a Hallmark movie.
This book 100% pulls at your emotions. Callie is a remarkable character who captivates you in a way you didn't expect. The way she interacts with Finn and the other characters is hilarious but adorable in that loving way. As the story unfolds, you find yourself crying several times with both sad and happy tears.

I recommend this book to everyone!

What has made me excited about the coming holidays? Well other than the fact that I love Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, I also just read Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock. She did a wonderful job of making me feel all different kinds of emotions in this book.  I laughed and cried and wished Christmas were just a little bit closer.  Also, I absolutely loved Callie. Growing up, I knew a lot of elderly people. I loved to bake all different kinds of treats and take them to all of those elderly people. Most would invite me in to their houses and I'd would visit with them. Callie reminded me those dear people and I kept wishing I could bake her some cookies too.

If you like comedy, romance, and emotional books, then this book is the perfect book for you this Christmas, or really anytime. And also, may I recommend reading it with a cup of hot chocolate in your hands? I think that would really make it even better.

This was a bittersweet story. I think most everyone will guess the basics of how it will end, but it is such a sweet story with a wonderfully endearing character in Callie.

I’m not sure how many times I cried during this story, but I truly loved it. The author created characters that as a reader I fell in love with. It is a story that reminds us about the importance of life and the people we share it with.

Definitely recommend it to those who love Hallmark movies!

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Catching Christmas: A Modern Day Fairy Tale is bestselling author Terri Blackstock’s first Christmas novel and is a delightful short read to get you into the Christmas spirit.  What I liked about this novel is that it is a “feel good” novel featuring very human characters dealing with very real life problems like old age and your first job and cancer.  So it isn’t cheesy.  You fall in love with the characters and want to find out what is going to happen to them.  It is a novel about myriad topics from Christmas to romance to redemption to finding God to dealing with the guilt that family situations where someone is ill and you can’t wave a magic wand and make them better bring.  But it is a very positive read despite all this.

Here is the publisher’s description of the book:
“This Year, Christmas Comes Just in Time
As a first-year law associate, Sydney Batson knows she will be updating her resume by New Year’s if she loses her current case. So when her grandmother gets inexplicably ill while she’s in court, Sydney arranges for a cab to get her to the clinic.
The last thing cab driver Finn Parrish wants is to be saddled with a wheelchair-bound old lady with dementia. But because Miss Callie reminds him of his own mother, whom he failed miserably in her last days, he can’t say no when she keeps calling him for rides. Once a successful gourmet chef, Finn’s biggest concern now is paying his rent, but half the time Callie doesn’t remember to pay him. And as she starts to feel better, she leads him on wild-goose chases to find a Christmas date for her granddaughter.
When Finn meets Sydney, he’s quite sure she’s never needed help finding a date. Does Miss Callie have an ulterior motive, or is this just a mission driven by delusions? He’s willing to do whatever he can to help fulfill Callie’s Christmas wish. He just never expected to be a vital part of it.”

Thank you Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for the Advanced Reader’s Copy of this book and for allowing me to review it.