The Peppermint Mocha Murder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Sep 2018

I enjoyed this book. Liked the characters and the story line. The setting was well written and the characters were believeable. Would read more by this author
I'd follow Hayden Moore just to taste her chocolate creations.  One thing that I love about this series is that I get to go 'traveling' with her.

I find the characters a bit quirky but that also makes them interesting.  I liked that we get to learn a little more about Travis.  The book is well-written and kept me reading very late into the night!
Chocolatier Hayden Mundy Moore is spending the holiday in Massachusetts with Travis, her accountant and they are staying at a bed and breakfast near where he grew up to catch a musical of a friend he grew up with.  Unfortunately a murder occurs instead-- a producer is killed before the show opens.  Now Hayden is trying to find out why no one seems to be treating this with the sense of urgency they should be, and in doing so, she unravels a whole cast of characters with secrets and motives that complicates things so.
Not only is the chocolate delicious, but so is the budding romance between Hayden and her 'buddy bodyguard' Danny.  Hot!  These two need to get it together for real in the next book.  Thank you to Kensington and NetGalley to read a copy of the book in exchange for my thoughts.
This was a good cozy mystery with a really fun festive theme. You don't have to read the rest of the books in the series in order the follow along which is nice. There was a love triangle that was unexpected.
I enjoy this series.  This is book 5 in the Chocolate Whisperer Mystery series.  Hayden is traveling to New England to enjoy a snowy Christmas with her friends and co-workers.  She is staying at a bed and breakfast where she will have access to the kitchen to wow everyone with some of her favorite chocolate concoctions.  When she finds a dead body and 3 look a likes, she is investigating who was the intended victim. Travis and Danny are both large parts of the story.  Can be read as a stand alone and the recipes at the end are easy and yummy.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Merry Christmas, Hayden! Here is our sleuth heading to a wonderful holiday when the good mystery strikes. Soon I was enthralled in the murder and suspect list. Now many couldn’t really cry too many tears for the victim but Hayden still gets justice served with a nice cup of cocoa. My love for this book was really the setting, it was just so charming! I know many of the cozy settings seem the same but this one was extra magical for the holiday season. So if you are looking for a read that has the perfect holiday setting here it is!
Have time for a holiday cozy mystery -filled with twist and turns and lots of Chocolate. Read book 5 in this series -perfect for the holiday. When Hayden takes a vacation ( Snowy New England) with Travis to visit a pals Christmas musical – you know a murder is about to happen. And this time its Travis pal – the producer  and Travis ask for Hayden’s help to solve the mystery. A book filled with  secrets, charming characters and scenery right out of White Christmas – this book is the perfect Christmas book. So glad a cup of Coca and enjoy
This is the 5th book in the Chocolate Whisperer Mystery series.  I've read the other book in the series and they are all intelligent cozy mysteries with an interesting heroine.

In this book, Hayden Mundy goes to upstate New York to see the opening of a friend's musical.  Unfortunately, she finds a dead body.  Hayden is the "chocolate whisperer" who consults to restaurants, chefs etc. all over the world.  The inn where's she's staying needs her help with their desserts, but she's more interested in solving the murder.

The plot was interesting and fun to follow, and the recipes were outstanding!  Can't wait to try some.

Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Book five in the Chocolate Whisperer Mystery series by Colette London is The Peppermint Mocha Murder.  Hayden is taking a break from her global chocolate whisperer job to vacation over the Christmas holiday in a small New England town.  She as invited by her financial adviser Travis.  Also along for the trip is her friend and sometimes body guard, Danny.  The small town is rocked when a murder is committed at the bed and breakfast where Hayden is staying.  The chocolate theme of the book is interesting.  I enjoy this series, but I am looking to see some growth in Hayden's character beyond her obsession with Travis while she strings Danny along.
The Peppermint Mocha Murder:  A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery
By Colette London
Kensington
October 2018

Review by Cynthia Chow

For professional chocolate specialist – a chocolate whisperer, if you will – Hayden Mundy Moore, the Christmas season is the slowest time of the year.  It’s when non-chocolately treats such as fruitcake and mince pies take over, leaving the compulsive problem-solver at loose ends and with too much time on her hands.  It explains why she jumps at the offer to join Travis Turner on a trip back to his home in Sproutes, Massachusetts, although in truth Hayden didn’t really need to reason to learn more about her mysterious financial advisor.  Hayden revels in the chance to celebrate a true old-fashioned Christmas in New England, but Travis is returning to Sproutes to support his childhood best friend, Albany Sullivan.  Albany wrote a best-selling fictionalized memoir of her life, and now it is being made into the musical theater Christmas in Crazytown and debuted in their hometown.  From its title it can be assumed that Albany’s family may not entirely approve of their depictions, and it appears that someone may have taken lethal steps to stop production when Hayden finds one of the producers headfirst in a wassail punchbowl.

With the actress portraying Albany on hand, as well as a near look-alike jealous little sister, the actual intended target comes into question with so many clones running around Sproutes.  Celebrity sitcom star Tansy Park claims to be in fear of a stalker, but her hiring a bodyguard is based more on the body protecting her than any actual threat.  It’s more than just a happy coincidence that security expert Danny Jamieson has been hired to protect the sex symbol, but his presence promises that Hayden will finally have the perfect “Friendmas” celebrated with her two best buddies.  That’s not to say that there isn’t a whole lot of confusing feelings and attraction ricocheting off between the trio, with a very stubborn Hayden vacillating between resisting the sparks and engaging in reckless flirtations.  The best way for Hayden to avoid confronting her emotions is to investigate the murder, which has her curious monkey brain determined to solve puzzles and relentlessly furrow out secrets.  That means delving into the personal life that Travis very much would like to keep private, confronting some very unwelcome feelings of competitive jealousy, and entering the world of Regional theater.

This continues to be an incredibly lively and intricately plotted mystery series full of clever banter and sparkly dialogue.  As much as Hayden would like to pretend that her relationships with Danny and Travis are platonic – except for that one memorable incident – she’s going to have to face down her fears of entering into a serious relationship.  New characters introduced come to life and are just as entertaining as our heroes, especially when they include local residents along with the visiting celebrities.  Social media influencers, questionable law enforcement, and of course Hayden’s hilarious observations ensure for a read that is as entertaining as it is compelling.  Hayden’s drive for justice, not to mention her often innocently blunt assertions, make her admirable and a delight.  While this is a treat perfect for any time of the year, it also highlights the genuine love and affection between friends that delivers a true holiday “Friendmas.”
Peppermint Mocha Murder is the fifth installment in this series.  But not yo worry if this is your first foray I to this series you will not even notice.  The mystery in this story is good and the characters were good.  Have fun reading this book and try not to smell the peppermint!  Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for the arc they gifted me.  My opinions are my own
The title is what got my interested at first because with Peppermint Mocha in the title it had to be good. It was a fun and quick read with great characters and an intriguing mystery that had a lot of suspects to consider. This is the 5th book in this series but the first one that I read. However I didn't feel lost or that I had to go back and read the first books in the series. I would recommend this book especially if you love a great holiday mystery
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have to admit, I had a hard time liking this book and in fact I picked it up and put it down several times. Don't know why but I just could not get myself to like it.
First off, thanks to #NetGalley & #Kensington books for the opportunity to read an eBook ARC of this title. This is the first book I've read in this series and the cover looked so yummy I couldn't resist it. The setting was great, New England at Christmas and the story was pretty good, even if all the look-alikes were a bit of a stretch. I just didn't care much for the heroine. Hayden seemed obsessed with her financial advisor, Travis. If you could get past her preoccupation with that, it was okay. I might read another of these, but wouldn't rush to do so.
Hayden is off to spend Christmas in Sproutes with her friend Travis and attend the opening of Christmas in Crazytown the musical written by his childhood friend Albany.

Hayden finds a dead body, was the wrong person murdered? Hayden decides to investigate. There's a romantic triangle, Christmas theme and chocolate theme, a good cosy mystery.
“Peppermint Mocha Murder” earns 4/5 Truffles…murderously Fun!

First, it says ‘chocolate whisperer.’ Next, it says ‘peppermint mocha.” Last, it says ‘Christmastime.’ To me that is the trifecta of cozy entertainment! I started as an eager newbie of Colette London’s work, and she provided more than enough references to background and character connections to keep me engaged and make me a fan. Hayden Mundy Moore travels the world honing her expertise in all things chocolate and lending her talents to clients who wish to develop wonderful chocolate delicacies. However, except for a few traditional chocolate items gracing the holiday season, she knows Christmas is better known for other delicacies and she can expect some well-deserved time off. But what starts as a marvelous opportunity for “New England-style Christmas cheer” with friend/business advisor Travis Turner and maybe a chance to experiment with peppermint mocha truffles, turns into a body found and police thinking it an accident. But, it becomes clear, at least to Hayden, it is murder, and the investigation is fraught with look-alikes, secrets, family mysteries, and a romantic triangles…totally entertaining!

The first-person narrative included delightful descriptions to entertain the senses, and Hayden’s inner thoughts provided tie-ins to the drama and fascinating, not at all obtrusive, historical and culinary facts and information on chocolate. The banter among well-developed characters was engaging with a nice bit a humor. The mystery was traditional cozy, and I figured it out before then final reveal. And my favorite words…recipes included! Along with helpful “Notes from Hayden,” each easy-to-follow recipe highlights peppermint mocha to make your holidays scrumptious: cookies, fudge, dipped pretzels, no-bake mini cheesecakes, and of course, to accompany your treats, the perfect peppermint mocha!
I liked the premise of the book, the chocolate whisperer, the triangle of which man she is going to be with did not go over well with me. I would go after Travis in a Southern girl way; he would never know what hit him; until we were at the altar! The mystery was okay; you knew who the murderer was, just from his absence! As far as chocolate not being a Christmas staple, come to the South! We always a myriad of fudge, preferably dark! Nut Clusters covered in Dark Chocolate, Milk, or White. Dark Chocolate homemade ice cream, Chocolate Chiffon pie, Chocolate fudge pie, Decadent Chocolate Cake, Best Brownies in the World, Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, not to mention homemade dark Cocoa. We eat Chocolate Delight, Chocolate Yummy; I forget some recipes. However, the point is, there is always excellent Chocolate around for Christmas! I found this part of the book poorly researched. I would read another, because of my like for the main characters in this book; only if Travis gets the girl.
Thank you Netgalley.
Carolintallahassee
A fun cozy mystery.  I enjoyed the characters and the plot.  I have not read the other books in this series, but that made no difference in reading this one.  I’ll read more from this author.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Hayden Mundy Moore is back in this fifth instalment of the Chocolate Whisperer series. I've read the first one (way back) and hadn't realised there had been so many additions since then. I did enjoy the first one - a whole (cosy) mystery with chocolate at its centre? What's not to like?

This time, Hayden is in New England with her friend/accountant/keeper, Travis, in the town where he grew up, Sproutes, Massachusetts. Hayden is looking forward to her first picture-postcard perfect Christmas holiday - snow, decorations, carol singing, hay rides, the lot. Unfortunately, she stumbles across the body of a woman face down in the wassail punch on her first night at the B&B where she's staying, leading her into another murder investigation. Particularly puzzling is why the police seem to be so quick to dismiss it as an accident...

The story is well written and the characters neatly drawn, leaving us with plenty of suspects and red herrings to lead us astray.

Hayden is a bright and independent character, so I was slightly dismayed to see a potential love triangle brewing, what with Danny and Travis trying to outdo each other in their efforts to show Hayden the 'Ultimate Christmas'. This is an overused trope in cosy mysteries (I'm not quite sure why) and they get tiresome. I hope the author doesn't pursue this.

Overall, though, an enjoyable and fun read in a series that I'll be continuing!
The Peppermint Mocha Murder is the 5th book in this series.
I enjoyed this book from the start a lot going on. A good plot lots of twists  never guess who the killer was and  a lot of characters to choose from.
Having not read any of these books before I lost the conection between Hayley Travis and good friend Danny .I will go back and read the previous books to catch up.
Loved the Christmas theme and would look out for Colette London next book .
Many thanks to Kensington books and netgalley for letting me read and review this book.