Treacherous Is the Night

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Sep 2018

Despite being different than expected, it was enjoyable book.  Recommended.

Frequently, when one expects one thing, but gets another, it's a disappointment.  For example, if one is expecting a cup of hot tea, and instead it is a cup of coffee, it is a shock and disappointment, regardless of how fond one is of coffee.  Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this book, despite being very different from what I expected.  I had expected something closer to a Christie mystery - lock doors, limited suspects, lots of questions - and this was more of a spy thriller - chasing down hints that an old colleague left Verity with lots of violence along the way.  And while I would put it in the spy category, there was a good deal more character development than one would expect.

Much of this book is actually about Verity reconnecting with her husband.   I'm not sure if I would consider this a true spoiler or not since it covers events in the previous book and is referenced in the blurb, but I'm tagging it anway.  In the previous book, Sydney had faked his death and let Verity believe he was dead for 15 months.  She's still upset about the deception, and he doesn't understand why she's upset or the degree that his deception impacted her decisions and behavior.  This is causing all sorts of tension in their marriage, threatening to pull it apart.  Even I got a frustrated with Sydney; what if she had gotten remarried and had a child during that time?  It seems like he never considered her with his deception.

I would still classify this is a cozy - there's not a lot of violence, the sex is all off screen, and I was never concerned that any of the main characters would be killed.  It was well plotted; elements like how the séance was worked seem plausible, and the loyalty of several people is question (to add tension) in a subtle manner to make it believable.  I enjoyed a few references to the time framing (Winning Wimbledon with a skirt so short it barely reached her ankles!).  My only minor complaint is that it seems like Verity repeated her internal thoughts frequently, using the same phrases.

Altogether an enjoyable book.  Highly recommended.
This the 2nd Verity Kent book in a series.  Set in England just after WWI, Verity is a former secret service agent.  She travels to Belgium and France with her husband to search for her friend that she thought was dead.  Her relationship with her husband is strained; she thought he had been killed and they've been apart for many years.

I really liked all the historical details the author put in the book.

Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
It is always refreshing to read a book on WW1. I see and read so much WW2 fiction, and although I enjoy it, reading stories from WW1 offer such a wonderful perspective. I think I would have enjoyed this book more had I read the first book in the series. I always regret reading books out of order, and I didn't reazlize that this was a second book in a series of mysteries. That being said, I really enjoyed the glimpses into the culture and attitudes of this time period, and the author does a great job at capturing WW1 for the reader. The pacing was excellent, and learning the little clues and red herrings along the way were great fun! All around a perfectly enjoyable read.
I really enjoyed the writing, but I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I had read all the books that came before. I plan to start this series from the beginning. I really enjoyed it
If you don’t already know, I love historical fiction. I love it even more when it’s mystery and romance combined. That is my cup of tea, and I could easily binge read the genre. I’m also a fan of Anna Lee Huber’s books - you should check out her Lady Darby series! I quite enjoyed the first book in this series, This Side of Murder and the sequel did not disappoint.

The mystery itself was incredibly interesting, and full of historical details to make it seem plausible. I do think it was a little weak at times, but it was fun to follow along Verity as she set out to solve another mystery this time to do with a friend who was also a spy during WWI.

I must admit a was a bit torn over the romance aspect in this book, and at time Sidney really frustrated me. However, I think it was a good direction, and an important direction. Marriages that were affected by the war are intense and difficult, and I think Huber wrote it well. There was a lot of angst, but also plenty of flirting and passion to balance it out.

Huber’s mysteries follow a bit of a formula, but I don’t really mind. They’re always quick reads with lots of historical details to please any history fanatic, and of course romance and mystery to make us swoon and keep us guessing.

Verity is a compelling herione. She is bold, emotional, brave. She isn’t perfect, but she tries to do what’s right and be honest with herself and Sidney. It’s easy to root for her.

Sidney is a bit of a more flawed character, suffering with PTSD and struggling to reconnect with Verity. Max is, I must say, my soft spot. I loved him in the first book. I hope we get to see more of him in the next one.

Treacherous Is The Night was a solid sequel in the Verity Kent series. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book, and what trouble Verity will get into for seeking to help others and defy what society thinks is ladylike and proper.
I liked the first novel, Verity Kent. This sequel lived up to the first. I like how the mystery dealt with the paranormal and how the victim tried to get over the loss of her loved one. I also like how many characters from the first novel reappeared again. I recommend this for fans of Maisie Dobbs, Bess Crawford, and Molly Murphy.
I really enjoyed this story. The characters were believable and the setting was New York City in the early pre war years when women began to look for careers that were not readily available to them. Mix that with a good murder, an old reporter and a young female journalist thrown into a photographer’s job and you get a good mix of action. The story moved well with believable characters that held your interest up to the exciting conclusion. I will definitely read this author again.
Treacherous is the Night by Anna Lee Huber takes us back to July of 1919 in London.  Verity Kent is still adjusting to having her husband, Sidney back from the dead.  They have yet to have an in depth discussion about their time apart and the tension is so thick you would need a hacksaw to cut through it.  The Spiritualist movement is spreading across England and Verity’s friend, Daphne wants to attend a séance to contact her deceased brother.  Verity reluctantly attends and is surprised to see Max Westfield in attendance.  During the séance, Madame Zozza claims to have connected with Emilie who wants Verity to unearth her secrets and warns her to beware of the man in the mask.  Verity is shocked because she met Emilie during the war when she worked for the Secret Service and was undercover in Europe.  Verity does not believe Emilie is dead and she is determined to get answers.  Unable to speak with the medium that evening, Verity returns the next morning to find the woman’s home in flames with her trapped inside.  Verity’s attempts at getting information from the Secret Service are unsuccessful, so she departs for Belgium to search for Emilie.   On the journey, Verity is hoping that she and Sidney will get a chance to reconnect and salvage their marriage.  Someone, though, is determined to thwart their inquiries.  Will Verity find her old contact?  Join Verity on her latest quest in Treacherous is the Night.

Treacherous is the Night is the second tale in A Verity Kent Mystery series.  If you have not read This Side of Murder, you will not be lost.  Everything a reader needs to know is included.  Verity Kent is a strong and intelligent woman who served her country during the World War I.  She believed her husband, Sidney was dead until he recently returned to the living (it is a long story).  Sidney has not been forthcoming with Verity and she still resents what he put her through.  Verity and Sidney have been changed by the war.   Their marriage is suffering, and they need to communicate.  Of course, they married in haste and have spent little time together since they said I do.  Then there is the dashing Max Westfield who is attracted to Verity (if only Sidney had really been dead).  I admit to not liking Sidney.  He is a bully with a quick temper, and there is a lot of Sidney in this book.  Anna Lee Huber is a detailed oriented writer which makes for a slow paced story.  I found it challenging to wade through this historical mystery.  I thought Treacherous is the Night lacked an ease to it.  It seemed formal and stilted.  The mystery is overly complex and the plot farfetched.  There are a number of officers introduced and it is impossible to keep them all straight (they just blend together).  I liked the clever clues left for Verity to find which she amazingly solves quickly.   I enjoyed the Kent’s trip through Belgium with the descriptions of how the country looked after the war.  I also liked how the author incorporated historical information into the story.    I am giving Treacherous is the Night 3 out of 5 stars.  While there are some interesting sections, I felt the book was a miss.  I will let Verity continue on with her adventures without me.
I have officially given up at 70%. I tried plowing through it, and when that did not work, I tried reading a tiny bit every day hoping to eventually reach the end. That too became a chore. I think if I had read the first book in Huber's new series, this second book would have made much more sense to me. In any case, I found the mystery itself tedious. I also failed to care for any of the main characters. I loved Simone St. James's Lost Among the Living, which too features a soldier husband presumed to be dead during the Great War, and a wife struggling to move forward with her life. I think the premise is a very intriguing one, but in this book, the husband seemed petulant that his wife forged ahead for herself during his absence. There is a love triangle that failed to materialize here, and ultimately Verity Kent did not emerge as a particularly interesting or complex character. I hate to give up, but I'm calling it :(
Treacherous is the Night is the second book in the Verity Kent series by Anna Lee Huber, following This Side of Murder.  (If you haven’t read the first book,  you should probably stop reading here.  This review doesn’t contain any spoilers for Treacherous is the Night, but will ruin a major plot point from the first book.  So far, this is definitely a series you need to read in order.)
Verity and Sydney are reunited by many secrets exist between them and their marriage is anything but secure.  When Verity unwillingly attend a séance with a friend, it becomes clear that her secret war work for the British government may not be so secret after all.  Verity knows that, with lives at stake, she must find the truth, even if it means sacrificing her marriage.
For me, too much of this story focused on the marriage of Sydney and Verity, which made it feel more like part two of the first book, rather than its own story.  I feel like we finally have the parameters of the book established, however, and am hopeful that this will be a really enjoyable series.  The mystery portions were solid.  In addition, it is obvious that the author did a great deal of historical research, which I appreciate very much.  I have given up on several historical mysteries in the past due to anachronisms and inaccuracies that proved too distracting, but I felt totally immersed in this world.  I am ready for more!
How does one pick up life as a couple when you've believed yourself, and lived as, one widowed?
The second entry in the Verity Kent series seeks to sort this through.  Until...
murder follows the morning after Verity' accepts an invitation to spend a questionable evening at a woman's home. Now the complexities compound... relational and life threatening.

Verity's former Secret Service employer and automatic go to doesn't offer the outcome she anticipates, yet intuition leads her back across the channel in search of clues. Tension mounts as sleuthing returns Verity and newly found husband to battle zones literally and figuratively.

A multi-layered novel of conflicts and resolution allowing readers the inside look at who the characters of this Verity Kent series have been and are becoming. Prowess of author Anna Lee Huber in creating and offering insights of their tragedies and tenderness draws readers into understanding of the past and anticipation of where this new beginning will lead them.

Suspense is rising as my interest is piqued in who Verity and Sidney will become as a couple.  Ground work is well laid and possibilities wide open.  I await book 3 with high anticipation  . . .
How war can change people Verity had become an Agent in the war and had just had the return of her husband Sidney after believing him dead. Verity’s visit to a séance and a message given to her about a past secret service mission in the war will take her and Sidney on a journey back to the fields of Belgium. They have a journey of there own to achieve to find the love and trust that has temporarily deserted them. The pace of this mystery picks up after reaching the shores of Europe. The journey is left open to follow Verity and Sidney into the next story.
I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Treacherous Is the Night is the second book in the Verity Kent mystery series by Anna Lee Huber. Released 25th Sept by Kensington books, it's 304 pages and available in paperback, ebook and audiobook formats.

Although this is the second book in the series, it reads very well as a standalone. I do recommend searching out the first book in the series because it's beautifully written and plotted; a really superlative period mystery; but it's not necessary to have read it first to understand what's going on in this one.

Interwar mysteries are my favorites. I love the period, the style and panache, the sophistication and grit. Though I adore authentic classic golden age authors, there won't be any more produced. This, on the other hand, is a modern author who writes beautifully and cleverly with sophisticated three dimensional characters and dialogue which is never clunky or awkward.

Main character Verity is capable, intelligent, sophisticated and a little bit vulnerable. She worked in the resistance (bad*ss!) in WWI when she thought she was a widow, and even though her husband turned out to be alive, she feels compelled by a debt of honor to try to help a former comrade in arms. Her search for her former contact and fellow agent leads her and her husband into direct danger and she doesn't know whom she can trust.

This book has elements of a mystery espionage novel, but it's the mystery aspects which gave me the most enjoyment. The book's language is very clean with only a few scattered uses of the word 'bloody'. There is not any overt sexual content, although there are a few passing discussions of some of the harder realities of life for women in occupied areas during wartime (rape, etc). These discussions are fleeting and not at all graphic.

I often find unintentional anachronisms in most of the books I review and I have to say, Ms. Huber's period research is impressive. The story is interwoven around real life events and history and I couldn't find any obvious inaccuracies. Well played!

Four and a half stars. I recommend this book (and series) very highly to anyone who loves classic mysteries. I look forward eagerly to read more for these characters (even though her husband's sort of a cad).
Richly detailed and well researched. It felt a little repetitive at times and Alec and Max might as well have been interchangeable as characters, but overall a good read.
This is the second book in a series.  Unfortunately, I have not read the first book and. therefore, was unfamiliar with the backstory of the characters.  Although I enjoyed the writing and the plot was very interesting, I stopped reading about half way through.  I plan to read the first book in the series an then come back to this one.

The author has a fine grasp of the period she has chosen.  The desperation and euphoria of the survivors which led to the over-the-top lifestyles of the 1920's is sympathetically portrayed.  From the parts I read, I am confident that this is a four star novel.  I will post a more complete review when I have finished both books.
Anna Lee Huber is a strong author who writes absorbing historical mysteries and her newest, Treacherous is the Night, begins with séance and intrigue.

This is the second book in the Verity Kent series and the mood is a bit different from the first book. Verity is no longer a grieving war widow, her husband is very much alive, and their relationship is strained. Verity finds herself embroiled in a new mystery with her husband Sidney by her side.

Huber is gifted with descriptions. I found myself rereading some of the passages simply for the beauty of the prose. The pace of this novel felt slower, a tad less suspenseful, but the mystery pulled me in. I do wish Max had a larger role—maybe in book three?

If you like historical mysteries with a strong, female protagonist, this is for you!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy.
A good solid entry in the series. Verity Kent and her husband are on shaky ground, trying to piece back their marriage in spite of their emotional war wounds and lack of trust. Verity reluctantly attends a seance with a friend. While she is there, the medium speaks to her about one her contacts while she was an intelligence courier during WWI. Verity makes a vow to find her friend, and begins to unravel the trail of breadcrumbs left for Verity to discover. Along the way Sidney and Verity make revelations that the other partner would rather not hear... but slowly brings them closer together.
The mystery of the story was intriguing, and the pacing of the book kept me very interested in the next step.  This book was just the right mix of mystery, chaste romance, and espionage.  If any of the three would hve been more dominant, I would have been disappointed. Though this book can stand alone, reading the first book gives you a good introduction to the characters.
I received this book in return for an unbiased review from Net Galley.
I thought the first book was decent but this one just really didn't appeal to me and I am not sure I like the direction the series is going. It was well written enough but the mystery wasn't enough for me and I am not crazy about the characters.
EXCERPT: "....Mrs Kent, I am ordering you to stay out of this matter. Should I discover you disregarded this warning or should you attempt to visit us here again, I will not hesitate to contact Scotland Yard." His eyes gleamed with the pleasure it would give him to see me arrested. "Is that clear?"

"Except that I'm no longer a member of the service, as you so helpfully reminded me. So you have no authority to order me to do anything," I replied as I closed the door. Perhaps it would have been wiser to hold my tongue and allow Major Davis to believe he'd won, but once the words were out of my mouth, I couldn't call them back.

However, one thing was for sure, he didn’t want me anywhere near this.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: In 1919 England, in the shadow of The Great War, many look to the spirit world for answers. But it will take an all too earthbound intrigue to draw in the discerning heroine of Anna Lee Huber’s latest mystery . . .

It’s not that Verity Kent doesn’t sympathize with those eager to make contact with lost loved ones. After all, she once believed herself a war widow. But now that she’s discovered Sidney is very much alive, Verity is having enough trouble connecting with her estranged husband, never mind the dead. Still, at a friend’s behest, Verity attends a séance, where she encounters the man who still looms between her and Sidney—and a medium who channels a woman Verity once worked with in the Secret Service. Refusing to believe her former fellow spy is dead, Verity is determined to uncover the source of the spiritualist’s top secret revelation.

Then the medium is murdered—and Verity’s investigation is suddenly thwarted. Even Secret Service agents she once trusted turn their backs on her. Undaunted, Verity heads to war-torn Belgium, with Sidney by her side. But as they draw ever closer to the danger, Verity wonders if she’s about to learn the true meaning of till death do us part . . .

MY THOUGHTS: Treacherous Is the Night is an excellent second installment to the Verity Kent series. After the brilliant beginning in This Side of Murder, I wondered just where there was left to go. I needn't have worried, this is every bit as good as the first was and it would seem that there are plenty of stories left to tell and adventures to be had as Verity and Sidney attempt to settle into their country home in post-war England.

Each book reveals a little more about Verity and Sidney's roles in the war, and about their relationship.

I will definitely be following this series and am eagerly awaiting the next book.

😍😍😍😍

THE AUTHOR: Anna Lee Huber is the Daphne award-winning author of the national bestselling Lady Darby Mysteries, the Verity Kent Mysteries, the Gothic Myths series, and the forthcoming anthology The Jacobite’s Watch. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee, where she majored in music and minored in psychology. She currently resides in Indiana with her family and is hard at work on her next novel.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Kensington Books via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of Treacherous Is the Night by Anna Lee Huber for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system. This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com. https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...
Thank you for the ARC Net Galley!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I have totally been into reading novels set in England around WWI years, especially mysteries so this fit the bill perfectly. I have not read the first Verity Kent and did not feel that I needed to to enjoy this one - although I will be going back and reading it!!