Treacherous Is the Night

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Sep 2018

If you don’t already know, I love historical fiction. I love it even more when it’s mystery and romance combined. That is my cup of tea, and I could easily binge read the genre. I’m also a fan of Anna Lee Huber’s books - you should check out her Lady Darby series! I quite enjoyed the first book in this series, This Side of Murder and the sequel did not disappoint.

The mystery itself was incredibly interesting, and full of historical details to make it seem plausible. I do think it was a little weak at times, but it was fun to follow along Verity as she set out to solve another mystery this time to do with a friend who was also a spy during WWI.

I must admit a was a bit torn over the romance aspect in this book, and at time Sidney really frustrated me. However, I think it was a good direction, and an important direction. Marriages that were affected by the war are intense and difficult, and I think Huber wrote it well. There was a lot of angst, but also plenty of flirting and passion to balance it out.

Huber’s mysteries follow a bit of a formula, but I don’t really mind. They’re always quick reads with lots of historical details to please any history fanatic, and of course romance and mystery to make us swoon and keep us guessing.

Verity is a compelling herione. She is bold, emotional, brave. She isn’t perfect, but she tries to do what’s right and be honest with herself and Sidney. It’s easy to root for her.

Sidney is a bit of a more flawed character, suffering with PTSD and struggling to reconnect with Verity. Max is, I must say, my soft spot. I loved him in the first book. I hope we get to see more of him in the next one.

Treacherous Is The Night was a solid sequel in the Verity Kent series. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book, and what trouble Verity will get into for seeking to help others and defy what society thinks is ladylike and proper.
I liked the first novel, Verity Kent. This sequel lived up to the first. I like how the mystery dealt with the paranormal and how the victim tried to get over the loss of her loved one. I also like how many characters from the first novel reappeared again. I recommend this for fans of Maisie Dobbs, Bess Crawford, and Molly Murphy.
I really enjoyed this story. The characters were believable and the setting was New York City in the early pre war years when women began to look for careers that were not readily available to them. Mix that with a good murder, an old reporter and a young female journalist thrown into a photographer’s job and you get a good mix of action. The story moved well with believable characters that held your interest up to the exciting conclusion. I will definitely read this author again.
Treacherous is the Night by Anna Lee Huber takes us back to July of 1919 in London.  Verity Kent is still adjusting to having her husband, Sidney back from the dead.  They have yet to have an in depth discussion about their time apart and the tension is so thick you would need a hacksaw to cut through it.  The Spiritualist movement is spreading across England and Verity’s friend, Daphne wants to attend a séance to contact her deceased brother.  Verity reluctantly attends and is surprised to see Max Westfield in attendance.  During the séance, Madame Zozza claims to have connected with Emilie who wants Verity to unearth her secrets and warns her to beware of the man in the mask.  Verity is shocked because she met Emilie during the war when she worked for the Secret Service and was undercover in Europe.  Verity does not believe Emilie is dead and she is determined to get answers.  Unable to speak with the medium that evening, Verity returns the next morning to find the woman’s home in flames with her trapped inside.  Verity’s attempts at getting information from the Secret Service are unsuccessful, so she departs for Belgium to search for Emilie.   On the journey, Verity is hoping that she and Sidney will get a chance to reconnect and salvage their marriage.  Someone, though, is determined to thwart their inquiries.  Will Verity find her old contact?  Join Verity on her latest quest in Treacherous is the Night.

Treacherous is the Night is the second tale in A Verity Kent Mystery series.  If you have not read This Side of Murder, you will not be lost.  Everything a reader needs to know is included.  Verity Kent is a strong and intelligent woman who served her country during the World War I.  She believed her husband, Sidney was dead until he recently returned to the living (it is a long story).  Sidney has not been forthcoming with Verity and she still resents what he put her through.  Verity and Sidney have been changed by the war.   Their marriage is suffering, and they need to communicate.  Of course, they married in haste and have spent little time together since they said I do.  Then there is the dashing Max Westfield who is attracted to Verity (if only Sidney had really been dead).  I admit to not liking Sidney.  He is a bully with a quick temper, and there is a lot of Sidney in this book.  Anna Lee Huber is a detailed oriented writer which makes for a slow paced story.  I found it challenging to wade through this historical mystery.  I thought Treacherous is the Night lacked an ease to it.  It seemed formal and stilted.  The mystery is overly complex and the plot farfetched.  There are a number of officers introduced and it is impossible to keep them all straight (they just blend together).  I liked the clever clues left for Verity to find which she amazingly solves quickly.   I enjoyed the Kent’s trip through Belgium with the descriptions of how the country looked after the war.  I also liked how the author incorporated historical information into the story.    I am giving Treacherous is the Night 3 out of 5 stars.  While there are some interesting sections, I felt the book was a miss.  I will let Verity continue on with her adventures without me.
I have officially given up at 70%. I tried plowing through it, and when that did not work, I tried reading a tiny bit every day hoping to eventually reach the end. That too became a chore. I think if I had read the first book in Huber's new series, this second book would have made much more sense to me. In any case, I found the mystery itself tedious. I also failed to care for any of the main characters. I loved Simone St. James's Lost Among the Living, which too features a soldier husband presumed to be dead during the Great War, and a wife struggling to move forward with her life. I think the premise is a very intriguing one, but in this book, the husband seemed petulant that his wife forged ahead for herself during his absence. There is a love triangle that failed to materialize here, and ultimately Verity Kent did not emerge as a particularly interesting or complex character. I hate to give up, but I'm calling it :(
Treacherous is the Night is the second book in the Verity Kent series by Anna Lee Huber, following This Side of Murder.  (If you haven’t read the first book,  you should probably stop reading here.  This review doesn’t contain any spoilers for Treacherous is the Night, but will ruin a major plot point from the first book.  So far, this is definitely a series you need to read in order.)
Verity and Sydney are reunited by many secrets exist between them and their marriage is anything but secure.  When Verity unwillingly attend a séance with a friend, it becomes clear that her secret war work for the British government may not be so secret after all.  Verity knows that, with lives at stake, she must find the truth, even if it means sacrificing her marriage.
For me, too much of this story focused on the marriage of Sydney and Verity, which made it feel more like part two of the first book, rather than its own story.  I feel like we finally have the parameters of the book established, however, and am hopeful that this will be a really enjoyable series.  The mystery portions were solid.  In addition, it is obvious that the author did a great deal of historical research, which I appreciate very much.  I have given up on several historical mysteries in the past due to anachronisms and inaccuracies that proved too distracting, but I felt totally immersed in this world.  I am ready for more!
How does one pick up life as a couple when you've believed yourself, and lived as, one widowed?
The second entry in the Verity Kent series seeks to sort this through.  Until...
murder follows the morning after Verity' accepts an invitation to spend a questionable evening at a woman's home. Now the complexities compound... relational and life threatening.

Verity's former Secret Service employer and automatic go to doesn't offer the outcome she anticipates, yet intuition leads her back across the channel in search of clues. Tension mounts as sleuthing returns Verity and newly found husband to battle zones literally and figuratively.

A multi-layered novel of conflicts and resolution allowing readers the inside look at who the characters of this Verity Kent series have been and are becoming. Prowess of author Anna Lee Huber in creating and offering insights of their tragedies and tenderness draws readers into understanding of the past and anticipation of where this new beginning will lead them.

Suspense is rising as my interest is piqued in who Verity and Sidney will become as a couple.  Ground work is well laid and possibilities wide open.  I await book 3 with high anticipation  . . .
How war can change people Verity had become an Agent in the war and had just had the return of her husband Sidney after believing him dead. Verity’s visit to a séance and a message given to her about a past secret service mission in the war will take her and Sidney on a journey back to the fields of Belgium. They have a journey of there own to achieve to find the love and trust that has temporarily deserted them. The pace of this mystery picks up after reaching the shores of Europe. The journey is left open to follow Verity and Sidney into the next story.
I was given an ARC of this book by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Treacherous Is the Night is the second book in the Verity Kent mystery series by Anna Lee Huber. Released 25th Sept by Kensington books, it's 304 pages and available in paperback, ebook and audiobook formats.

Although this is the second book in the series, it reads very well as a standalone. I do recommend searching out the first book in the series because it's beautifully written and plotted; a really superlative period mystery; but it's not necessary to have read it first to understand what's going on in this one.

Interwar mysteries are my favorites. I love the period, the style and panache, the sophistication and grit. Though I adore authentic classic golden age authors, there won't be any more produced. This, on the other hand, is a modern author who writes beautifully and cleverly with sophisticated three dimensional characters and dialogue which is never clunky or awkward.

Main character Verity is capable, intelligent, sophisticated and a little bit vulnerable. She worked in the resistance (bad*ss!) in WWI when she thought she was a widow, and even though her husband turned out to be alive, she feels compelled by a debt of honor to try to help a former comrade in arms. Her search for her former contact and fellow agent leads her and her husband into direct danger and she doesn't know whom she can trust.

This book has elements of a mystery espionage novel, but it's the mystery aspects which gave me the most enjoyment. The book's language is very clean with only a few scattered uses of the word 'bloody'. There is not any overt sexual content, although there are a few passing discussions of some of the harder realities of life for women in occupied areas during wartime (rape, etc). These discussions are fleeting and not at all graphic.

I often find unintentional anachronisms in most of the books I review and I have to say, Ms. Huber's period research is impressive. The story is interwoven around real life events and history and I couldn't find any obvious inaccuracies. Well played!

Four and a half stars. I recommend this book (and series) very highly to anyone who loves classic mysteries. I look forward eagerly to read more for these characters (even though her husband's sort of a cad).
Richly detailed and well researched. It felt a little repetitive at times and Alec and Max might as well have been interchangeable as characters, but overall a good read.
This is the second book in a series.  Unfortunately, I have not read the first book and. therefore, was unfamiliar with the backstory of the characters.  Although I enjoyed the writing and the plot was very interesting, I stopped reading about half way through.  I plan to read the first book in the series an then come back to this one.

The author has a fine grasp of the period she has chosen.  The desperation and euphoria of the survivors which led to the over-the-top lifestyles of the 1920's is sympathetically portrayed.  From the parts I read, I am confident that this is a four star novel.  I will post a more complete review when I have finished both books.
Anna Lee Huber is a strong author who writes absorbing historical mysteries and her newest, Treacherous is the Night, begins with séance and intrigue.

This is the second book in the Verity Kent series and the mood is a bit different from the first book. Verity is no longer a grieving war widow, her husband is very much alive, and their relationship is strained. Verity finds herself embroiled in a new mystery with her husband Sidney by her side.

Huber is gifted with descriptions. I found myself rereading some of the passages simply for the beauty of the prose. The pace of this novel felt slower, a tad less suspenseful, but the mystery pulled me in. I do wish Max had a larger role—maybe in book three?

If you like historical mysteries with a strong, female protagonist, this is for you!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy.
A good solid entry in the series. Verity Kent and her husband are on shaky ground, trying to piece back their marriage in spite of their emotional war wounds and lack of trust. Verity reluctantly attends a seance with a friend. While she is there, the medium speaks to her about one her contacts while she was an intelligence courier during WWI. Verity makes a vow to find her friend, and begins to unravel the trail of breadcrumbs left for Verity to discover. Along the way Sidney and Verity make revelations that the other partner would rather not hear... but slowly brings them closer together.
The mystery of the story was intriguing, and the pacing of the book kept me very interested in the next step.  This book was just the right mix of mystery, chaste romance, and espionage.  If any of the three would hve been more dominant, I would have been disappointed. Though this book can stand alone, reading the first book gives you a good introduction to the characters.
I received this book in return for an unbiased review from Net Galley.
I thought the first book was decent but this one just really didn't appeal to me and I am not sure I like the direction the series is going. It was well written enough but the mystery wasn't enough for me and I am not crazy about the characters.
EXCERPT: "....Mrs Kent, I am ordering you to stay out of this matter. Should I discover you disregarded this warning or should you attempt to visit us here again, I will not hesitate to contact Scotland Yard." His eyes gleamed with the pleasure it would give him to see me arrested. "Is that clear?"

"Except that I'm no longer a member of the service, as you so helpfully reminded me. So you have no authority to order me to do anything," I replied as I closed the door. Perhaps it would have been wiser to hold my tongue and allow Major Davis to believe he'd won, but once the words were out of my mouth, I couldn't call them back.

However, one thing was for sure, he didn’t want me anywhere near this.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: In 1919 England, in the shadow of The Great War, many look to the spirit world for answers. But it will take an all too earthbound intrigue to draw in the discerning heroine of Anna Lee Huber’s latest mystery . . .

It’s not that Verity Kent doesn’t sympathize with those eager to make contact with lost loved ones. After all, she once believed herself a war widow. But now that she’s discovered Sidney is very much alive, Verity is having enough trouble connecting with her estranged husband, never mind the dead. Still, at a friend’s behest, Verity attends a séance, where she encounters the man who still looms between her and Sidney—and a medium who channels a woman Verity once worked with in the Secret Service. Refusing to believe her former fellow spy is dead, Verity is determined to uncover the source of the spiritualist’s top secret revelation.

Then the medium is murdered—and Verity’s investigation is suddenly thwarted. Even Secret Service agents she once trusted turn their backs on her. Undaunted, Verity heads to war-torn Belgium, with Sidney by her side. But as they draw ever closer to the danger, Verity wonders if she’s about to learn the true meaning of till death do us part . . .

MY THOUGHTS: Treacherous Is the Night is an excellent second installment to the Verity Kent series. After the brilliant beginning in This Side of Murder, I wondered just where there was left to go. I needn't have worried, this is every bit as good as the first was and it would seem that there are plenty of stories left to tell and adventures to be had as Verity and Sidney attempt to settle into their country home in post-war England.

Each book reveals a little more about Verity and Sidney's roles in the war, and about their relationship.

I will definitely be following this series and am eagerly awaiting the next book.

😍😍😍😍

THE AUTHOR: Anna Lee Huber is the Daphne award-winning author of the national bestselling Lady Darby Mysteries, the Verity Kent Mysteries, the Gothic Myths series, and the forthcoming anthology The Jacobite’s Watch. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee, where she majored in music and minored in psychology. She currently resides in Indiana with her family and is hard at work on her next novel.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Kensington Books via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of Treacherous Is the Night by Anna Lee Huber for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system. This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com. https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...
Thank you for the ARC Net Galley!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I have totally been into reading novels set in England around WWI years, especially mysteries so this fit the bill perfectly. I have not read the first Verity Kent and did not feel that I needed to to enjoy this one - although I will be going back and reading it!!
Princess Fuzzypants here:  I think we have a winner.  This was an exciting and thrilling and fun book to read.  Set shortly after WWI, Verity has learned recently that the husband she thought was killed was alive.  He c0nvinces her to help him bring down traitors but as they attempt to rebuild their marriage afterward they both find they have changed dramatically.  There are things they cannot share with each other- secrets that prevent them from truly reconnecting.
One of the things Sydney does not know is that Verity worked for The Secret Service, often behind enemy lines.  She has been demobbed as all the women were after the fighting ceased but when she reluctantly attends a seance with a friend and the medium has a message for her, she is drawn back into that world.  There is an ally who may be in grave danger and Verity is determined to find her.  From that point forward, despite the Upper Class milieu, this turns into a great espionage tale with lots of twists and turns and heart pumping excitement.
Verity is a complex and highly intelligent woman who bristles in a chauvinistic world.  She is a capable lady whose skills and perception are soon valued by those around her, including her husband who joins her on her quest through war torn Belgium and France.  I thoroughly enjoyed the trip with them.  I sincerely hope this is but the first of many such journies.
I give it five purrs and two paws up.
Treacherous Is the Night is the second in the Verity Kent series by Anna Lee Huber. Verity served as a spy in World War I which provides the backstory for the series which begins after World War I has ended.

Treacherous Is the Night begins shortly after the first book. Verity and her husband Simon have been reunited but are struggling with uncertainty and resentment. Verity is angry Simon kept her ignorant of his fake death, putting her through all the pain and mourning of his death. Simon is suspicious of the men she befriended during the War and unaware she did anything more than clerking and possibly code-breaking. However, when she is chivvied into going with her friend to see a medium, she is alarmed by a message from a woman she worked with during the war, a resistance spy named Emelie. Someone is breaching confidentiality and revealing Verity’s war work.

Verity is determined to investigate, leading her to go back to France, back to formerly occupied territory and war-ravaged towns and villages. Simon goes with her even though it is fraught with terrible memories of the war. He also discovers more and more of Verity’s past, including meeting another man Verity worked with during the war. The relationship is front and center as they try to navigate the past in search of answers.

I enjoyed Treacherous Is the Night quite a bit, but then I liked the first in the series as well. Verity is smart and doesn’t pretend she isn’t. She’s capable and when he husband keeps insisting on driving, she reminds him he taught her how to drive. She’s not tolerating the back seat just to cater to his masculine ego, particularly when he’s exhausted. I like that the clues are fair and the mystery is revealed bit by bit. It engages us in the solution. I like that Verity and Simon do sensible things like calling the police for backup. These are smart cookies.

I received a copy of Treacherous Is the Night from the publisher through NetGalley.
Review
Verity Kent 2
Treacherous is the Night by Anna Lee Huber

In the second Verity Kent mystery, former WWI spy, Verity, once more lives up to the meaning of her name.  She is always after the truth (Verity) and finds it by becoming familiar with persons or things (Kenen).
When she is prodded into accompanying her friend Daphne to a séance that is run by the famous Mme. Zozza, Verity, a former spy during the Great War, becomes embroiled in a strange mystery. It is true that many people go to a séance after a war to look for closure
During the séance Mme. Zozza makes a clear reference to Emilie, Verity’s wartime spy colleague: “I need you to unearth my secrets, comprenez-vous? I need you to reveal them.” She shook her head sadly. “I know it will be difficult for you. But it is what I want. What I need. But beware the man hiding behind a mask. He does not mean me well.”
“Masked man” probably refers to a man who was disfigured from the war and wore a metal mask on part of his face. This mask covered the missing or burned area of his face and was sometimes painted with a representation of the missing eye or cheek so that people would not stare at him in public.
After the Medium brings up the voice of Verity’s war colleague, and fellow Belgian resistance fighter, Emilie, she also refers to the female spy group, “La a Dame Blanche.” This is very privileged information. Only a few people are aware of this secret network
How could she have this privileged information?  When Verity goes back to question the psychic after the séance, she cannot get that question answered, because Mme. Zozza has been killed by a suspicious fire.
Verity needs to find out Emilie’s real name and locate her to solve the puzzle.
Sydney “You have to uncover the truth, in everything. I believe I even said as much. And if it was true then, then it’s still true now. I can’t expect that to change simply because it’s not convenient.”

There is also an interesting subplot: Verity thought that Sidney, her husband, was dead for 15 months. He was actually on a secret mission. Now that he is back, this is the first time that she has seen him since the beginning of WWI.   How will the relationship proceed after 5 plus years and a war apart? What secrets will emerge?  What are they both concealing?
Sydney still understands Verity’s purpose in life. He tells her “You have to uncover the truth, in everything. I believe I even said as much. And if it was true then, then it’s still true now. I can’t expect that to change simply because it’s not convenient.”

If Emilie is in trouble, does that mean that Verity is in trouble too?
This mystery series provides a satisfying look into Europe and its problems following WWI.
4.2/5
What a great second volume to a series! I was pulled right in and could't put it down. I confess that I wasn't a huge fan of the first book but I love and trust this author and my faith in her paid off. Verity is fascinating character and like an onion every book just peels away a layer of who she is and the secrets of her past. In the first book, we didn't get much information on her or who she was and so it was important that this book deliver and let's just say I'm hooked! I really enjoy the scenes of her and her husband reconnecting. I wasn't so sure how I'd feel as I really like the Lord Ryde character and while I'm rooting for Verity and Sidney to work stuff out I am not entirely opposed to Ryde being the romantic foil. I look forward to their further adventures  and the unveiling of more secrets! I'm also intrigued about how the author will have the characters navigate post-war Europe & Germany and the wild decadence of 1920s society. Do I need to see them in Weimar Germany? I do. Do I want this series to follow them into the next war? I do! Great characters and great storytelling!