The Setpoint Diet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Jan 2019

For a very specific audience. This would not work with my clientele, but interesting for those who are following this very popular diet.
I thought this was well-written and well organized.  It's not really drastically different from a lot of other recent and current programs.  It provides lots of body chemistry and physiology of weight management information as a reason why this particular program should work.  It includes daily menus with recipes for those who want a regimented plan.
I voluntarily read an advanced review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley and I offer my honest opinion in response.
The Setpoint Diet by Jonathan Bailor is a great guide to healthy eating and living.  I have heard about a setpoint for your body weight before, the weight which your body wants to remain at, and I was intrigued to read this book on this topic.  I found a lot of science behind his ideas and some easy to implement ideas that make sense.  I think this book is a great book for anyone struggling with their weight and looking for nutritional guidance in the midst of so many diets.  I think it is a livable plan that you can use for life.  I can't wait to try some of the ideas and recipes in the book.  I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations.  These opinions are entirely my own.
I faithfully went through Mr. Bailor's book.  I understood the research behind his theories and plan. I can see that the basis for success lies in what you choose to eat.  I appreciated the sections on addiction and cravings.  What didnt work for me?  I do not like vegetables. The program is dependent upon the consumption of low starch vegetables, oodles of them.  I find veggies unpalatable and quite often bitter.  I was hoping for more recipes that might make veggies appealing, but was disappointed.  I did visit the website in hope of additional recipes, but they were available at "premium" membership.  Not a bad program, just not for me.
I received my copy through NetGalley and am under no obligation to the publisher
I read this book with a little trepidation.  It's very similar to one I reviewed in the 80s and although the book is well laid out and no doubt well researched, the diet itself left me flat.  Thanks for the read.
The Setpoint Diet by Jonathan Bailor is a well-researched, comprehensive book that will assist you with making healthy choices.

The Setpoint Diet doesn’t contain fancy gimmicks or miracle solutions but instead offers practical, comprehensive solutions on “how-to” eat right and get moving effectively. The Setpoint Diet is the playbook to reimagining yourself healthy and then reaching those goals.  Bailor explains the science of the setpoint diet and its parameters in a manner that is both easy to read and understand.  This book has something for everyone whether you’d like to transform your relationship with your eating habits, want to get in shape or stay in a healthy place.

I received a review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Synopsis from the Publisher/NetGalley.com
Join the 27,000 people who have achieved dramatic and long-term weight loss with The Setpoint Diet, from the New York Times bestselling author of The Calorie Myth.

Your body fights to keep you within a range of about 15 pounds--also known as your "setpoint weight." New research reveals that you can lower your setpoint and end that battle for good by focusing on the quality of calories you eat, not the quantity. With The Setpoint Diet, you will reprogram your body with a 21-day plan to rev up your metabolism, eliminate inflammation, heal your hormones, repair your gut, and get your body working like that of a naturally thin person--permanently.

The Setpoint Diet is a lower-carb menu that focuses on specific anti-inflammatory whole foods, including tons of produce, nutritious proteins, and therapeutic fats. Its creator, Jonathan Bailor, founded SANESolution, a weight loss company that has reached millions of people. Proven to help you lose weight naturally and maintain it, The Setpoint Diet is your new blueprint for healthy living.
I have been a fan of Jonathan Bailor for years and really appreciated the opportunity to review his new book: The Setpoint Diet.  I am a science geek and found the science behind this book to be extremely enlightening and sincerely appreciated that Jonathan backed up the science with detailed proof from clinical studies.

But don’t worry, even if you aren’t a science geek, you will find loads easy-to-read information on how eating more of the right foods will be beneficial to your health.

I also appreciated the section on Mind-Set, where he provided exceptional strategies for individuals to learn how to “love yourself slim” by “breaking the cycle of shame”.  The overall focus of the program helped me to think of what I wanted more of…not what I wanted to eliminate.  All-in-all, Jonathan’s approach to achieving daily progress instead of “perfection” was incredibly useful to me.

One last note:  While I haven’t completed the entire 21-day program (which will become my “life program”), I can tell you that within the last two weeks the look and feel of my skin is better than it has been for years.  My headaches have disappeared, my moods have improved, and I have lost my “brain fog”.  I highly recommend this book and Jonathan’s program to anyone who is looking for overall improvement in their health.
The Setpoint Diet by Jonathan Bailor really has a lot of great information on setting the new point where your body will work to maintain that weight. The Setpoint Diet also lays out a diet to reset your own setpoint. You will not be hungry with the large amount of food you eat in a day which includes lots of veggies, high quality protein and whole fats. There are optimal choices that are recommended during the 21 day reset period.

Jonathan also digs deep into the psychology behind habits and addictions and how important addiction can be when trying to lose weight and live in healthy ways. This section of the book is very important and eye opening on what addiction really is.

Overall, I think that The Setpoint Diet offers very solid, well researched information on why it is hard for many people  prone to be obese and diabetic and have a hard time losing weight and how to work on overcoming setpoints. Jonathan balances scientific studies, so he is not presenting a "fad diet" but rather a well rounded approach of living differently through eating Saner for our bodies, exercising smarter not harder, and making conscious choices to change the way we live.

I am presently working my tenth day  on the Set Point Diet.  The thing about this  diet plan I like most is it is wholistic in it's approach.  The author, Jonathan Baylor, founder of SANEsolution,  teaches us to focus not only on the need for the body to lose weight to be healthier ,but equally important , he promotes a  healthy soul, mind,  and spirit.The  SANE diet  plate is divided into fifty percent nonstarchy vegetables, thirty percent  protein, and twenty percent whole fats.  The reason for those particular foods and their amounts is to fuel the body to continually burn  body fat,  to eliminate cravings for carbohydrates, and to satiate the appetite in between meals.  And of course , the author incorporates SANE  exercise into the program.  He encourages reducing time sitting by taking time for a walk outside, standing up and stretching every hour, walking around while talking on the phone and of course ten minutes of eccentric  and ten minutes of interval exercises per week .  The author provides routine activities to change negative thinking into positive thoughts,  by daily recording things for which  we are grateful in a Gratitude Journal, writing down  practical strategies and good habits  we could  use to overcome any obstacles that stand in the way of our losing weight  by keeping an Overcoming Obstacles notebook and, he provided us with a plethora of  recipes for  making
healthy, refreshing beveragess to drink in between meals and during meals  to stay hydrated,  He provides for a midmorning and mid-afternoon snack
as well ,between meals.  After supper comes some time for meditation and reflection on our day. We recorded the best part of our day in our Best Part of Our Day Journal. If that wasn't enough , to keep us encouraged, he offered us membership online with the SANEsolution family members, staff, and personal coaches to  support and cheer us on to victory, as well as  powerful neutricitials to accelerate weight loss in this ongoing battle of the bulge.  Like I said, I have eleven more days to see if I will lose 10 pounds in 21 days.  We shall see...  I prefer to lose weight without any assistance from
any neutriceuticals so that could adversely affect how many pounds I did lose in the allotted time. I do appreciate
though ,all the wonderful strategies I learned to help me overcome my bad habits and change my negative self talk, through the daily activities of journalling and the  wonderful,  really delicious,
healthy, easy recipes  the author shared
with the readers to prepare  us to permanently keep off the pounds that were lost since we started the Set Point Diet Plan. . I would definitely recommend this healthy , wholistic plan for weight loss to anyone desiring not only to lose their weight, but more importantly, to keep it off forever.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this copy for my honest review.
This is a good well researched book on changing your lifestyle for weight loss.  Nothing I read was really new and exciting and it is not a miracle diet.  It does emphasize the importance of eating healthy and staying active for weight loss.  I haven't read any of the other books by the author but I think it is very important to remember he is not a physician.  He does research his theory very well and presents a lot of information to back his ideas.
Overall it has some sound information and probably will lead to some degree of weight loss but it may not be ideal for everyone.
This is a very good book to allow you to change the way you manage your health.  The focus on changing the setpoint and making it a lifestyle and not a diet  is a much better long term strategy.  The book gives a good balance of the science behind it and laying out how to implement it in your life..
Ah, time for the weekend and time to review a diet book. I love diet books. I can usually predict what the author will suggest and how the author will present the ‘new and exciting diet where the reader can learn how she can eat all she wants and still lose weight!’. Isn’t that what they all say? All the reader will have to do is tuck in the tummy, put away the diet soda and learn the secret of how to lose weight easily according to this new and improved diet book. Alas, I have only ever found one ‘diet’ book that had unique and useful ideas for losing weight, and that was The Beck Diet Program by Dr. Judith Beck, which uses cognitive training to help with the ordeal of learning how to lose weight and keep it off.

Today’s book is named The Setpoint Diet by Jonathan Bailor, who also wrote The Calorie Myth and calls himself the founder of the SANE Solution. Check box number one. The author has developed his own acronym and theory for losing weight that sounds catchy. We all want to be SANE. Although I think there was a woman years ago with a shaved head who used to run around a stage exercising and call her self sane…Susan Powter and her  Stop The Insanity weight loss system from the 1990’s, I think.

What are Mr. Bailor’s credentials for offering us tubbies a weight loss system? He is not an MD. What I could find is that he calls himself the pioneer of Wellness Engineering and the founder and CEO of ‘the world’s fastest growing weight loss and diabesity (his word) treatment company, “SANESolution”. He was a senior program manager for Microsoft and helped to design Nike+Kinect Training and Xbox Fitness. So, he knows how to write programs for exercise and he knows marketing. But I don’t see a link to a medical degree.

So much for that. What is the basic theory of the Setpoint Diet? The author claims everyone has a thin person lurking within the (fat) self waiting to come out. His diet will show the inner thin person how to ‘effortlessly burn calories’ and be a naturally thin person. He states the only thing that prevents all of us coach potatoes from being thin like a french fry is the setpoint. He spells it all in one word. He defines the setpoint as the level of fat the body maintains by regulating appetite and metabolism through hormones, genes and the brain, no matter how much you eat.

His plan uses his SANE approach to eating to lower your setpoint so you never gain weight ever. He gives as an example of how he was a skinny kid and wanted to gain weight but he never could. He devoted his adult life to researching why some people can’t gain weight and why others can’t lose it. He claims it all comes down to his SANE approach; Satiety, Aggression, Nutrition and Efficiency.

He has a positive approach for losing weight with good ideas and examples of what is better to eat and what is not. It was nothing I haven’t read before but is presented in an easy to read and easy to follow manner. It is a hopeful book. It won’t break the bank to follow and it is simple enough. I didn’t find any medical red flags. He does love green smoothies! And exercise is mentioned along with a mind-set, the two other pillars of health.

Although at times I felt the author was really pushing his SANE program (and green smoothies) this book is worth reading for anyone wanting to lose some weight.

I rate it 3 out of 5 stars.
There is a lot pf science and dieting information to absorb in this book, and a few things made me wonder, but on the whole I think that I will try at least some of this advice (it will be hard to do 24/7, especially during the holiday season).  The references to SANE (all caps) started to annoy me after a while, though.
This diet book appears at first to be extremely complicated with many rules.  Page after page I painfully read on and continued to push through  this book waiting for the "a-ha" moment when I would think that this would be a great diet book.  When I got to the part where the author compared giving a soda to a child is similar to an adult on cocaine I lost all interest in continuing to read any further.
This is a solidly written diet book based on the author's SANE method of eating (satisfying, unaggressive, nutritious, and inefficient). This book has good advice for a healthy approach to eating whole foods instead of starving yourself. Readers will appreciate the no-shame approach to eating and the emphasis on mental and emotional well-being, and physical activity. However, if you've read a lot of diet books, you likely won't learn anything new from this approach.

A couple of points that bothered me--the author recommends egg whites because they're the most nutrient dense part of the egg from a protein standpoint. If he were looking at nutrient density beyond one macronutrient, he'd recommend consuming the egg yolk, which has numerous nutrients including choline. The author recommends supplementing with choline later in the book, but why not get it from a whole food source? He also recommends avoiding mercury-heavy fish, then in the next paragraph dismisses the risk of mercury toxicity as a myth because it's not often diagnosed. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or that general practitioners are well-versed in the symptoms or testing for it. Heavy metal toxicity isn't something to be taken lightly, so please be careful with the kinds of fish you choose to consume on a regular basis.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Setpoint Diet by Jonathan Bailor really has an outstanding amount of information on setting the new point where your body will work to maintain that weight. Not only is the information on the setpoint really important, but The Setpoint Diet also lays out a diet to reset your own setpoint. The diet does seem restrictive with carbohydrate, no grain, eating plan that emphasizes specific proteins to help with inflammation. There are optimal choices that are recommended during the 21 day reset period... The recommended optimal sources of protein are certain fish or sea food which I do not eat or organ meats...so the remaining protein choices are limited as well. ( They do include white meat chicken, lean beef, turkey, grass fed beef, etc.

Bailor also really digs deep into the psychology behind habits and addictions and how important  addiction can be when trying to lose weight and live in healthy ways. This section of the book is very important and eye opening on what addiction really is.

Overall, I think that The Setpoint Diet offers very solid, well researched information on why it is hard for many people to lose weight and how to work on overcoming setpoints. Bailor balances scientific studies, so he is not presenting a "fad diet" but rather a rounded approach to living differently through eating Saner for our bodies, exercising smarter not harder, and making conscious choices to change the way we live. I want to keep writing and writing about this book, but I also do not want to release all the spoilers! It is definitely worth checking out for yourself.

Thank you to Jonathan Bailor, NetGalley, and Hachette Book Group for the Advanced Review Copy of The Setpoint Diet. I appreciate the hard  work that went into researching, writing, and publishing this book and enjoyed the read. As always, my opinions are my own.
The science behind the "setpoint" is well presented and interesting.  It kept me intrigued enough that I might actually give the diet a try.  I liked that it is more about lifestyle changes that some crazily prescriptive limitation diet.
I have no doubt in my mind this works.  When you put people on a grain free, anti inflammatory diet for any length of time, they mostly lose weight.  However, this is even more restrictive than many other of the Paleo style diets I have studied in the past, as the protein requirements are very, VERY specific, and probably costly to those who don't live in a coastal area, as it is high in wild caught salmon, oysters, and various seafoods.  5oz, twice a day.  I just don't feel like this is accessible to the average person.
Thanks to NetGalley and Hachette Books for the read of Jonathan Bailor’s, The Setpoint Diet.

The Setpoint Diet is an interesting read - setting your body’s…or rather, resetting your body’s desired weight.

I respected and liked much of what Jonathan Bailor had to share about eating a LC, whole foods, optimal protein, heal your insides, to create a new eating lifestyle and I hope it works for anyone out there who struggles with the yo-yo dieting syndrome.. As well I think he could have shared his expertise just as well, without so much of the SANE and inSANE lingo. After awhile it just sounds too gimmicky.

I would recommend it for the wealth of information, but personally, I’m still on the fence on how much I believe it would actually work. Maybe I’ll have to try it!
#NetGalley

Jonathan proposes a revolutionary and educational method to lose weight by following a diet of healthy and fresh food. He teaches how to select food according to the nutritional profile and health restrictions. An excellent gift.