Mind Games

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

Which of your most trusted family, friends, or associates, is trying to kill you? That is the question that Kaely Quinn and her colleagues must answer before more people die. They have clues - a poem, the timing of the messages, the choice of victims - but it would take the combined work of the FBI, the BAU, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, and a variety of concerned citizens to arrive outside the warehouse where they would find Kaely’s phone, but not Kaely. Could they find her in time?

The author has created a thrilling story that could easily compete with Criminal Minds for my TV viewing time or for my weekly movie watching dollars. Whether the reader is looking for a well-written FBI thriller or a faith-based novel woven into the fabric of the 21st-century world, Mind Games may easily fill the bill. This reader could not put it down. The characters will be forced to examine their own faith (or lack thereof). The questions are not easy and the answers will only partially be answered in this book. Hopefully, the sequel’s Fall 2019 release will provide more answers.
_____________
This review is based on a free electronic copy provided by the publisher for the purpose of creating this review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Mind Games was the first book by Nancy Mehl that I have read and it did not disappoint. With the setting being in St. Louis, which is my hometown, it made the story come to life even more. A few of the details were a bit predictable but for the most part I enjoyed the twists and turns. If you are like myself and enjoy psychology, Kaely (main female character) and her methods were very intriguing. I have a degree in psychology, so discovering Kaely's past and how it influenced her current life and occupation were fascinating. Hopefully the next book in the series will delve into Noah Hunter (male character) as his character felt distant and incomplete . Mind Games is a psychological suspense with an intelligent female character who has endured a terrible secret crime and uses it for good. Don't want to give away any spoilers! If you like non-gory, psychological crime shows or books, you will enjoy this read.
I’ve always enjoyed Nancy Mehl but OMG! I don’t know where to begin and scared of giving too much away. If you love suspense, get a hold of this gem that had me guessing to the very end! I fell in love with   Kaely Quinn, FBI behavior analyst. It’s easy to see why her colleagues feel creep out with her unorthodox eccentric methods of getting her ‘bad guy’ profile. Creepy or not, I learned to embrace her and can’t wait to see what she will help solve in book two. It is insanely GOOD, I give it 5 hearts all the way!
This book by Nancy Mehl is very 'mind-blowing'. So many twists and turns! I am really looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Kaely Quinn is a very complex and interesting character. Her quirks and her job make her so unique. I'm not sure I've read a book with a character that was even similar to Kaely. Noah Hunter was also interesting, but I feel like Mehl only scratched the surface of his character in this book, and I hope she'll delve deeper in the upcoming books.

The story and plot were also very unique and grabbed my interest from the beginning. The premise of Kaely's job and her methods were fascinating as well. While a little light on action, there was definitely loads of suspense, and, as I mentioned, a ton of completely unexpected twists and turns! I thought I had the villain pegged, but was shocked when his identity was revealed.While overall the story was wrapped up by the end of the book and left you feeling satisfied, there are still a lot of threads to be continued in later books.
I really enjoyed this latest from Mehl. I've always loved the TV show, Criminal Minds, and this book reminded me so much of it - only better.

I liked seeing the inside thoughts of Kaely, the profiler, as she processed clues and got to know her UNSUB.

Noah was an interesting male hero. I actually didn't care for his style one minute and then he'd surprise me. But I think overall I was just disappointed in the lack of romance in this book. For a "romantic suspense" it just wasn't enough for me. But had it just been labeled suspense it would have been fine.

The suspense part of this book was so well done. Mehl dropped lots of clues and I kept thinking I knew who the UNSUB was and then she ended up surprising me. The writing was so well done that I actually believed that Kaely took the whole book to figure it out too!

I'm very much looking forward to book two and hope it provides a little more romance!

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher. This is my honest review.

Please note this is available on Kindle Unlimited right now!
Mind Games is a mystery/suspense romance book by author Nancy Mehl. This is a easy reading book that packs a powerful punch. I was drawn into reading this book because of the suspense element, not sure what I was getting into. This is book one of the Kaely Quinn Profiler series. I do not recommend this series, but if one wishes to read this book be warned it is intense and the ending leaves the reader hanging. As I said, I didn’t know what to expect and was not warned about the triggers in this book.

By the end of the book I felt involved with the characters, especially Kaely Quinn and Noah Hunter. The thing I appreciated about Kaely was that no matter what happened her faith in God did not waver, and she knew He would not abandon her. I appreciated that Noah had her back as her partner.

I read an ARC of this book. Print version was published December 4, 2018

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
Jessica Oliphant is the daughter of a convicted serial killer. Now thirty-four, she’s FBI profiler Kaely Quinn, dedicated to solving murder cases, especially serial killer cases. Her unorthodox methods have earned her supporters, opponents, and the attention of the wrong kind of people—like a persistent journalist. And a serial killer.

Kaely becomes part of the next investigation when the journalist receives an anonymous poem signalling a series of murders, and ending in Kaely’s apparent suicide. The first body is discovered soon after the note is delivered. Now the race is on to identify the killer before Kaely—or anyone close to her—dies.

Mind Games is an apt title for a great thriller. We know from the get-go that the killer is playing games with Kaely. The challenge is to work out who … I identified several possible suspects (one of whom was later murdered, so I was 100% wrong on that one!).

Kaely is an intriguing heroine. She’s intelligent and likeable, and with a strong Christian faith. But she’s also a damaged woman who suffers nightmares and finds it impossible to allow anyone to get close to her. She’s estranged from her family, both respected and reviled at work as an object of curious fascination.

The other characters are also strong—they have to be, because Kaley is such a strong character. Noah and Kaley had some interesting conversations about faith. Yes, Mind Games is definitely Christian fiction, as there is a strong faith thread and some insightful lines about the nature of faith, and the nature of evil.

This is the first of the Kaely Quinn Profiler series. I’ve read several of Nancy Mehl’s earlier novels, but this is her best yet. I’ll be looking forward to reading more about Kaely, Noah, and their colleagues. Recommended for fans of Christian thrillers from authors like Terri Blackstock and Carrie Stuart Parks.

Thanks to Bethany House and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.
Bravo to Nancy Mehl! She has given us a compelling and intriguing character in FBI profiler Kaely Quinn.  The daughter of a serial killer, she joined the FBI to combat the evil that exists in the criminal world.  Even though she was only a child when her father was arrested, Kaely’s background attracts attention as she works her cases.  Her method of profiling is unusual, and her success rate high.  As a believer, Kaely finds that she can depend on God’s presence to guide her during times of danger and distress.

Fans of the TV show “Criminal Minds” will love this faith-based version of an FBI profiling case.  I love Christian suspense fiction and I could hardly put this book down.  Just be aware that this storyline is quite intense as far as to the criminal activity. This book definitely is in the “young adult and older” category.  All the crime is dealt with in a very appropriate way, and there’s no foul language or embarrassing scenes.  This is the first book in this series, and I will be following along to learn more about Kaely.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Mind Games by Nancy Mehl kept me on the edge of my seat from the first page! I love Kaely Quinn. She is just quirky enough to make you want to know what happens next! I am looking forward to reading more of her adventures!
So grab a glass of sweet tea and settle in for a terrific read!

I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley.com with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.
Oh my word. Get ready to sit on the edge of your seats for this nail biting suspense novel. Mehl draws you in right from the very beginning, and trust me when I say that while it may not be all blood and gore, it is scary. Call me weird but I like scary. It’s the methodical way I can figure it all out, and I loved solving things right along with Kaely.

Kaely gets right into the mind of the criminal, and I am all about that – no matter how creepy it is. I like seeing the whys and hows of people. you know the show Criminal Minds? Yep, I’m a fan. And reading this reminded me a bit of watching it. This is much deeper than most suspense novels I read, and I say bring it on Nancy Mehl. I’m ready for more!

True suspense lovers will probably devour this book in one sitting, but I caution you – don’t read it alone! I had to make sure there were others in the house when I was reading 😉 I cannot wait to read more! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Wow! Nancy Mehl’s Mind Games is a wild ride from start to finish. With artful suspense, surprises, and detail, the mystery unfolds on the pages and kept me guessing until Mehl reveals the killer in the end. It’s an unputdownable page-turner, for sure.

At the center of all the action is Kaely Quinn, an FBI behavioral analyst who is also the daughter of a serial killer. Her methods are unusual, but she knows how to do her job well, motivated by her haunting family history. So, when a chilling poem arrives promising a string of deaths leading to Kaely’s, there is little question who should take on the investigation.

To catch this new serial killer, Kaely begins working with Special Agent Noah Hunter. The partnership highlights the complexities of Kaely’s character and faith and prompts a bit of fun banter—and a hint of potential romance, too—all while closing in on the culprit. Kaely and Noah challenge and balance each other well, and I look forward to seeing how they progress together in Book Two.

A thriller reminiscent of Criminal Minds, Mind Games is twisted and entertaining and does not disappoint. I highly recommend it.
This book was a page-turner thrill! The suspense and mystery kept me guessing almost till the very end! I enjoyed th characters and plot and hope we will be seeing these characters again in future. Definitely recommend if you’re a fan of suspense.
I really don't know how to express my feelings about this book, other than the words, "MAGNIFICENT! WOW". I have read many books by this popular author, and loved each and every one, however , this book has blown me away!! It is the best of the best!! Firstly, the main character, Kaely has the unusual profession of a FBI profiler. How is that for a unique job?? One that touches on danger and intrigue on a daily basis! Then, we discover that she is the daughter of a killer! This book had me on the edge of my seat with my heart pounding !

The characters were vividly and so realistically described that at times, I had to calm myself down, by  reminding myself that they were works of  fiction! I felt every danger, fear and challenge that was faced.

The plot moved so quickly with all of the unexpected twists and turns that no one could ever predict what would happen next!! I felt chills go through me as I feared what would occur next. I could scarcely take a breath as the action and tension kept building. The world passed me by as I read this book in two sittings. Actually, if I hadn't had to get some sleep to help me keep my eyes open, the book would have been finished within twenty four hours.

The information about FBI procedures was all new to me. Loved the education I was getting through this thriller. The Christian message is presented in such a unique way that non Christians could enjoy this book as well. It is tasteful and meaningful.  Anyone who enjoys a great suspense story packed full of intrigue and action should not miss this book!!

High compliments to Nancy Mehl who has written a fantastic , very different book one in her new series, Kaely Quinn , Profiler. Can hardly wait for the next one!! Look no further for an excellent , Christian thriller!!

This book was received from the author and Celebrate Lit. The opinions and thoughts expressed are honest and my own.
This book was off the charts excellent!  I did not want to stop reading it. When I did have to put it down I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen next.  Kept me on my feet trying to solve it right along with them!

I have become hooked on profiler books, TV shows and movies!  I love to watch Criminal Minds and I sometimes wish I would have known, when I was a kid, that you could actually go to school to be a Profiler or Forensic Scientist!

I cannot wait to get my hands on the second book in the Kaely Quinn Profiler series!  Fire Storm will be out in August 2019!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley on behalf of the Publisher and was under no obligation to post a favorable review.
I've read two of this author's books in the past, and loved them both! I was immediately intrigued by this story the moment I read the description, and was excited to read it.
But, sadly it fell flat for me. It was a good read and there were some things about it that I loved, Kaely's profiling system in particular was fascinating to read about! While I really wanted to love this one, I just didn't ever fully connect with it, and I'm not really sure why that was.
Overall, even though I didn't love Mind Games I am still glad I read it, and I do plan to read the next book in the series. I'm sad to say this book just wasn't a favorite for me, but I am well aware that I am in a tiny minority, because so many people I know have loved it. So, please don't just take my word alone, and if this book interests you then I highly recommend you give it a try.

I received an ebook copy of this book from the publisher. The above review is my honest opinion. All thoughts and opinions are one hundred percent my own.
I absolutely loved this book!  It was one of the best suspense novels I have read in a long time.  I did not want to put this book down until the last page.  One thing I absolutely love about Nancy Mehl's books is that she is from my neck of the woods.  That means a lot of her settings are places I know or have been to.  Mind Games was set in St. Louis!  The city I was born in and still live 25 minutes from.  This just adds so much excitement to the book!

I also loved the suspense.  I really thought I had it figured out, but boy was I wrong.  I love a good mystery like that.  A book that is unpredictable.  This one was perfect and I can't wait to see what this Author offers her readers next!
Nancy Mehl has definitely upped her supsense game with the release of Mind Games. I've read several of Nancy's previous novels and really enjoyed them. Something about this book just goes to the next level. I'm not sure if it's the subject matter or just the evolving skills of the writer but it captured my attention and held it like none of the others have.

With this new series we also get a new heroine. Her name is Kaely Quinn and she's an FBI Behavioral Analyst. She's also the daughter of a notorious serial killer. Obviously Kaely has chosen this career to right some wrongs but as you'll find out her motives go deeper than that. She is a character that is not only believable but likeable as well. Nancy's writing allows us to see her from both her professional side and her personal side.

I think I'm like most suspense readers in that I love to try to figure out the killer before the story reveals it. About mid-way through I knew I had it. But then there were some very believable red herrings thrown in that I fell for. I began to doubt my assumptions and waffled back and forth. The fun part is that my original guess turned out right . . . but I wouldn't have voted for that if I had to. To me that is the sign of a wonderfully written tale.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the next installment that will be released later this year. If this first book is any indication, it's going to be a thrilling series. There's a little bit of romance thrown in that I look forward to seeing develop further. If romantic suspense is your interest then I recommend you pick this book up.
It’s been a while since I’ve read a Nancy Mehl book and it was a delight to be able to read and review this one! And I love the suspense and thrills that are always present in Ms. Mehl’s books. Being the daughter of a known series killer, Kaely Quinn was hoping she has finally put her dad’s horrible reputation behind her. But when a reporter shows up with a poem written predicting a string of murders, including Kealy’s, she’s back to her old life and all that comes with it.

This is a Wow journey that takes readers on a wild goose chase as we try, along with Kaely and law enforcement to figure out who the killer will target next! But it’s not easy to try and get into the mind or someone so horrific and just plain evil. And what was their read motive? Why Kaely? She was a child when her dad was arrested. Her brother was the only one who may have a motive but Kaely couldn’t believe he would try something so evil.

Ms. Mehl does an amazing job of creating characters that will tell the story so realistic. It was like watching the local news or reading the local newspaper. Only Karly and Soecial Agent Noah Hunter were in the middle of this news story and they wanted this morbid killer stopped, and NOW!

I always like to try my hand at figuring out who the evil person is. Could it be someone everyone knows? Someone running around in front of everyone during the day? Well, I had a good idea of a couple of people it could be, which I was right, but it took a lot of sleuthing on my part. If you enjoy a fast paced thriller, Mind Games would be a fantastic read for you!

The opinions in this review are mine only. I was not required to write a positive review.
I had a hard time with this book. I thought it sounded super interesting and unique, and I really wanted to like it, but I really struggled with the plot and the characters. Kaley especially.

She was so hard to like as she had zero personality. There was nothing about her I could relate to or even like about her. She was touted as being this incredible behavior analyst, and she's such a great agent, and on and on and on, but there was really nothing there to show the reader why she was so great. And if she's so great, why does she always seem to need a babysitter?

Kaley's methods, if you will, were just a little too weird to me. I can understand thinking out loud as a way to process, but talking as if there is really someone else there and responding in such a way just left me feeling uncomfortable about the whole thing.

The plot itself wasn't exactly unique. I had the killer figured out from the very beginning and I just wanted to get to the end so I could be done with it.

The biggest issue for me though was how the story seemed like a total knock off of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. Had there been somewhere in the story where a character had called attention to the fact that the killer was copying Agatha Christie's story then maybe I could have been okay with it, but completely ignoring the fact just felt weird to me.

Surprisingly I am curious to see where the next book goes. I might give it a try and hopefully it will be better! Although I probably won't write a review on it. I hate writing negative reviews but unfortunately sometimes books just don't live up their expectations.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
My Penny's Worth
Mind Games - The beginning makes sense when you have read the end!

Oh now I understand - that eureka moment when you go back to the beginning and re-read something that you thought made sense but know it wasn’t what you thought it was? Confused, yes there were times that the book confused me, but now I get it. Those mind games started right from the beginning, or at least from my first highlighted bookmark.

“Something’s coming, Kaely. I don’t know what it is, but I feel it. Don’t you?”

And sure enough, something did come.

A great read.

Kaely Quinn
Kaely, a complicated young lady, spiritual and broken heads up the cast in Mind Games. She is a one lady whirlwind, adamant to right the wrongs of her father by using her gifts to capture in her mind, dangerous criminals. It is a lonely quest, and one wonders how she copes with the horrors of such a job. She keeps everyone at arm’s length as she can’t trust anyone. Even she is wearing a mask.

“She couldn’t take the chance of turning out like her mother. Believing in a man who didn’t really exist, who was someone else behind a mask. It was too big a risk. One she wasn’t ready to accept now – or maybe ever. At this point in her life, all she wanted to do was rid the world of men like her father. It was the reason she got up in the morning. The reason she breathed. There wasn’t room for anything else. “

Kaely’s methods are odd, but I get them - especially the asking for guidance from God. And, this theme is active throughout the book.

What about the other characters
The supporting cast of characters are strong and the killer well wrapped up in deceit although I did guess who. Some twists and turns will get you thinking, reading and turning the pages.  Noah is a bit stereotypical for an agent and left me wondering who he was; hopefully, more will be revealed in a future book. There are going to be more books….? I liked Solomon, grounded and well-rounded but also struggling with issues. Alex, you have to have a spanner in the works, and he stepped in over the mark.

There are definite themes
Themes such as forgiveness are strong as well as healing, letting go and learning to love again.

Would I recommend Mind Games?
I think you ought to check it out. Mind Games is a great read, and I would like to give it 4 stars.