Cover Image: Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek

I ended up listening to this on audio quite a while after publication and ended up liking it. There were a lot of layers to the story in terms of character's backgrounds, their beliefs, their motivations, the town setting, and the immigration angle. Sometimes I find that when an author tries to pack too much in, things get lost in the shuffle but that wasn't the case with this book. Impressive for a book that is also fairly fast-paced with a mystery at the heart of it. Recommended.
This review will be hard to write because I don't know how to express how much I loved this book! With everything from the suspense to the character development, Kim knocked this out of the park. I'm shocked that this is a first-time novelist - she has all of the makings to be a writer that I'll remember for quite some time.

"Miracle Creek" is one of those books that I think reads better if you have no idea what the story is about. So, I'm not going to detail the plot. I will say it was the perfect blend of courtroom drama, mystery, and literary fiction. Kim writes with such gifted skill - every word on the page has intention and meaning.

With perfect pacing and a wholly satisfying ending, all I can say is that I'll wait anxiously for Kim's next book to come out.
This book will go down as one of my favorites. I loved the courtroom drama storytelling and how with each court date we got additional glimpses of the past leading up to the tragedy. I appreciated that each of the characters was fallible in their own ways and how many of them despite their flaws were also incredibly relatable. Kim did an excellent job balancing the darkest parts of each of the characters with empathy for the events that led them there. This was an excellent book that I often recommend!
Fantastic read. I was surprised how much the book drew me into the unusual story.  I have recommended this book many times this year. Looking forward to more from Angie Kim.
Hmmm. Just OK! I thought this would be a great book but it only had a few parts that ramped up the excitement and storyline. I rate this book a 3.1! Thanks Netgalley!
It was a small business that should have succeeded.  The Yoo family, Korean immigrants, have a hyperbaric chamber housed in an old submarine.  Individuals can go in for an hour long treatment to breathe increased oxygen.  The treatment has been suggested for everything from Lyme disease to infertility to autism treatment.  But something went horribly wrong and a fire trapped the patients inside the chamber.  A mother of five and an eight year old boy are killed, burned alive.  The immigrant father is left paralyzed and his teenage daughter is left scarred and in a coma for several months.

What really happened?  A year later, a murder trial is being held.  Elizabeth, the mother of the child who was killed, is on trial.  The prosecution believes she killed her child to escape the life of a mother with a disabled child.  But was it her?  There are secrets belonging to almost everyone there that day and even some no one knew were there.  Was the fire to hide an affair?  Was it to collect an insurance payment of more than a million dollars?  Was it a different mother who couldn't face their child's disability?  Was it done in anger over a marriage that isn't working out?

This is a debut novel and it has garnered lots of praise.  It won the Edgar Award for Debut Novel and is recommended by many prominent names in the mystery/thriller genre.  The plot twists and turns and the reader is convinced over and over that they know who it is as it turns out that everyone there had a reason to start the fire that ended so tragically.  The author has intimate knowledge of much of the book's subjects.  She is from a Korean-American family and was a former trial attorney.  Readers will be entertained and left interested in seeing what this author will do next.
Outstanding. I particularly loved Young Yoo's character arc. This is one to reread to explore its depths.

Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for a copy of the ARC.
What an interesting, complicated story. Though I thought it ended up being pretty predictable, it was intriguing and kept me reading with some good twists along the way.
I hate to admit, but this was a DNF for me around 60%. This book for many reasons just didnt connect with me, but I am very grateful for the opportunity to at least try.
I read this book in one sitting, and I don't know why I waited so long to pick this one up. I really don't know what to say about this one, I was heartbroken after reading this. It's such a sad literary mystery with some interesting, flawed characters. It's really well done, the subject is not an easy one, but you will fly through this one because you just want to know what happens.
This was such a satisfying legal thriller. This is an emotional read and one that will make you think. I thought the court room scenes were executed perfectly and were by far my favorite parts of the book. I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to be lost in the pages for a spell.
A compelling legal thriller, full of twists and complicated guilt. The story was gripping and I was glued to the page. However, I wish, like other readers, Kim said more about the danger of so-called autism “treatments,” like drinking bleach. These “treatments” are real and kill autistic people regularly and more explicit condemnation could have been educating and important. Couple this book with some research and you have an important and engaging piece of writing. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ #netgalley
This was difficult to get through..in a good way? I just felt like screaming the whole time. Big emotional impact. Everything about this story was so hard and heartbreaking. Whoa. Angie Kim is a gifted writer and storyteller, definitely recommend if you can handle the topics in this story.
Miracle Creek has a very intriguing storyline.  It is refreshingly different from other suspenseful books.  Angie Kim spins a tale with characters that will keep you guessing how this story will end.
Thank you to NetGalley for the free copy, in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars rounded down because it seemed to peter out a bit towards the end.  This book started out amazing; I was totally enthralled with the courtroom drama.  However, I figured it out about 1/3 of the way through (no shade to Angie Kim, I'm just amazing I guess) and the drama itself seemed to just dragged out as a ploy to throw you off...oh you think this character did it, well guess what!? this other character also has a secret!  All that being said, I coudn't put this down and it has given me some major food for thought about motherhood, immigration, children on the autism spectrum, how terrible white guys are, and the legal system.  Would recommend.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to more of Kim's work!
This novel isn't quite the legal thriller that I anticipated. It was better. The plot centers around an explosion that occurred at a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, Miracle Creek, about a year ago. The reader is privy to the point of view of several of the characters as they progress through the trial and reflect back on the events that led up to the main event. The characters are complicated and incredibly flawed. The story will keep you guessing up until the end. This is all around an excellent novel and I look forward to reading more of Kim's work.
Miracle Creek unfolds from the perspective of many complicated characters. This stunning story is a beautiful portrayal of family, sacrifices and the lengths we go to protect the ones we love. I loved the character development and the way that I started to like or dislike each character more as the layers were peeled back throughout the book. A touch of heartbreak with a dash of hopefulness, I really loved Miracle Creek.
I loved this book. An expertly crafted courtroom drama woven throughout some deeply troubling and complex character studies. Absolutely incredible.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
Unfortunately, I have tried reading this book on 2 separate occasions and during that 2nd attempt, I have only managed to make it halfway through so I’d rather stop here and state that this book just wasn't for me.
Miracle Creek by Angie Kim is a 2019 Sarah Crichton Books publication.

Fantastic! Lived up to the hype

Everyone knows I love a good courtroom drama, so this book was highly recommended to me by some of my GRs peers. But, try as I might, the book just wasn’t calling out to me when it was first released. So, I waited for the right mood, and I think my instincts paid off this time.

In a small Virginia town, a Korean couple sets up a Hyperbaric chamber on their land, which draws a group of eclectic people, all hoping to find relief from conditions ranging from autism to infertility. However, some people are adamantly opposed to this controversial treatment for children with autism, and have begun protesting.

Then, a tragic explosion leaves two people dead, and severely injures several others, leaving many lingering questions behind.

Was it an accident or was it deliberate? Was it one of the protestors or a member of the group participating in the chamber treatment?

As the investigation proceeds, the mother of an autistic boy is singled out as the prime suspect. Did she, with malice aforethought, set out to murder her own child? There is strong circumstantial evidence that she did, but as the trial begins, the situation leading up to the explosion is revealed, exposing a plethora of secrets, cover-ups, lies, and agonizing guilt, providing more than ample reasonable doubt in the reader's mind. Is the right person on trial?

The premise of this book is a bit unusual, at least in the beginning. I have heard of the hyperbaric chamber, or something like it, probably from some medical drama on television, but I didn’t know its official name or what all it was used for.

Apparently, it is used for numerous health issues ranging from anemia to vision loss, but is questionable when it comes to certain other conditions. Interesting. I learn something new every time I read a book!

The downside, of course, was the uptick in the number of characters I had to keep track of. Again, I found myself reading slower to make sure I was understanding everything that was going on. I listened to portions of this book on audio as well, and thought it was very well done considering the amount of characters involved.

It feels like I have been waiting for decades for a riveting courtroom drama. The well is so dry, I soaked this one up like a sponge! As popular as this book became, I hoped it would prompt a legal thriller comeback- just so long as it didn’t turn into a ‘trend’ or oversaturation. (Doesn’t anyone know how to practice moderation?)

However, this story goes much deeper than the murder trial. It also takes a hard look at what it means to be a parent- the desire to shelter and protect our children and the strong urge to give them a better life and a brighter future, providing them with the best advantages possible. Yet, the moral example one sets is equally important, as well as instilling a strong level of accountability, from both parent and child, building true character.

Parenting is difficult under the best of circumstances, but raising a child with special needs is an all- consuming effort, the challenges constant, and this novel provides some very realistic examples of that, measuring the exhausting toll it can take on even the most resilient and dedicated parents.

Overall, this is a well-rounded novel that could just as easily have relied on one dimension of the story- the trial,or the behind the scenes drama that revealed all those stunning secrets and resentments. To have adeptly combined the two aspects of the story, with balance, and near perfect pacing, is what really made this novel stand out.

Obviously, I am very impressed with this debut novel. Can’t wait to see what Angie Kim comes up with next.