The Psychology of Time Travel

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jan 2019

If you think you know what time travel is like think again. Can't be in the same place at the same time - not true. You can have several of you from years apart in the same room at the same time. That allows the plot in The Psychology of Time Travel to move from a character from one time period to the same character from another time period while all are in the same place. And while that is part of the plot the action revolves around the murder of one of the main characters. We follow several people as they interact often without knowing that they are all part of the same story. This was very interesting with its different take on time travel and how different people saw the same action. The history, the backstory and the world building are all very well done and help keep the story line and characters moving. Pick this up for a very interesting and different murder mystery.

I receive a free copy of the book in return for an honest review.
The Psychology of Time Travel is the debut novel of Kate Mascarenhas, and believe me when I tell you that it is absolutely worth reading. The novel is being described as perfect for fans of Hidden Figures, which I agree with. It’s one of the most intelligent stories I’ve read about time travel, and I just can’t say enough positive things about it.
	At the beginning of the book, Kate Mascarenhas makes a point of talking about her motivation for writing it. She said that she felt that there wasn’t enough of a representation of women, or people of color, in time travel plots. And she’s not wrong. I don’t think it ever really hit me until I read The Psychology of Time Travel, but I have never read something quite like this.
	Going back to the Hidden Figures reference – picture Hidden Figures meets time travel - and you’ve got an idea of the tone of this novel. It’s smart and sassy and full of brilliant women of all types. It also tells a story of time travel that I’ve never seen before, and I absolutely adored it.
	I went into The Psychology of Time Travel with high expectations, only to have those expectations completely blown away. This novel was so much more than I had ever hoped it would be. It was brilliant and well thought out. It also had strong and wonderful characters. More than that though, the characters were human through and through, for good or for bad.
	I said up above that this novel wasn’t like any other time travel story I’ve read, and I meant that. I loved the concept of there being successfully time traveling, and that it would be open to…well not the general public, but certainly closer to it than anything I’ve seen before. It opened the door for a lot of debating and for a ton of content as well. A lot of which is actually covered during the course of the novel. The end result is a surprisingly complex and well thought out system of time travel.
	The consequences and limitations of time travel are also covered. I loved one of the limitations in particular, but I don’t think I’ll spoil it by saying it directly. I do agree with it though, for what it is worth.
	The complexity of the story being told combined with the dozens of interesting and unique characters truly created a wonderful reading experience. It was fun trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Especially since the puzzle pieces were handed to us out of order – courtesy of time travel.
	I’ll admit that there were a couple of characters in particular that I was especially fond of, while there was one character that I just loved to hate. That they all had flaws made them feel so much more human and it made the situations they were in feel just a bit more possible.
	This is one of those novels that really doesn’t need a sequel - it told the story it wanted to, and there are no parts left up in the air. However, I love the world created here so much that I wouldn’t mind seeing another book or two. Maybe not involving the same characters, or even the same general time frame. I just want to see the world continue, I guess. I suppose that’s the sign of a well-written book though, huh?
Thank you to Kate Mascarenhas and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book. This was a pretty cool book. I enjoyed it. I would recommend it.
Judging a Book by it's Cover - 2019-02-01
Time travel has been something that endlessly fascinates me. You add it into a book or movie and I'm there. I don't care what else happening. This seemed like it tackled the concept of time travel from a scientific realism standpoint, as opposed to full out sci-fi or fantasy, and I loved that idea.

( 2.5 Stars )
Review - 2019-02-16
The Psychology of Time Travel wastes no time. It felt like we were thrust right into the book almost mid-sentence. The beginning seemed very abrupt to me, there was no real scene setting or character introduction. It all seemed kind of rushed and straight to the point and matter of fact. I suppose that's fitting to an image of strictly professional and scientific ladies who have no time for other pleasantries, similarly fitting for a book about time travel where time isn’t really linear, but for me I found it kind of off-putting right from the start. I suppose I felt a little whip-lashed.

I never would have believed that a book about time travel could be slow moving or not very engaging, but I had the most difficult time staying on track reading this. I didn't take to the writing and I found that the cold introduction to the characters didn't do anything to help develop much fondness for them. They all seemed like characters to me, just names existing in various dates and times; they didn't grow beyond the surface of the page I was reading and didn't really come alive. I found I wasn't fully invested in their story and kept getting distracted while reading.

That said, there were some great elements to this. Female scientists pioneering the field! The deeper conversations about how time travel affects the traveler mentally. I especially loved the time travel slang, and the aspect of time travel that I adore in all aspects is when timelines cross, and that happens fairly often here. This was really interesting to me. But I just couldn’t get past the fact that a story about a murder that spanned many layers of time was just… boring.

Surprisingly, it was the story arcs that didn't involve the four original pioneers that interested me the most. These added a lot more detail to the time travel process and how the Time Travel Conclave worked. This was what I wanted to know. All the other story angles took time travel for granted as a common everyday occurrence. But to the reader it's not and I appreciated this added context. This is where Mascarhenas was able to fully flex some imagination and creativity and that's what I was looking for in this book. I just wish the book elaborated a bit more on this. It touched on how time travel makes people cruel and turns people mad, but other than loosely using that to create a villain in Margaret, this wasn’t really explored or expanded on and it could have been really interesting to read more about.

I'm really torn on what to think. Time Travel is such an interesting concept to me that I want to fully embrace and experience this wonder any time I embark on a story about it. But I find, once again, in this case, Time Travel is more of a tool to drive the overall message and picture than anything else. Time Travel could have easily been replaced with another scientific experiment and we would still have similar results, just in a more linear time frame than what played out here. What I'm saying is this was more about the abuse of power and authority and how when something is discovered, how easily it can be used in vain, not necessarily a story about time travel. And that's perfectly fine! In that sense, this was a good story. But that's not what I was looking for and not what I wanted from this.

** I received an advance copy of The Psychology of Time Travel for honest review through Netgalley from Crooked Lane Books and thank them for the opportunity to read this and share my thoughts.
The story became interesting to me after a few chapters, though some things seemed to take far too long. I didn't really care for the romance, probably partly because the two people concerned didn't seem all that wholeheartedly for it either a lot of the time.

Some parts were fun, like one version of a person finding another version of themselves annoying or brash. I also liked that one part of the big mystery would be solved only to have it become apparent that a different part needed to be explained. For the most part the way time travel worked in the book was clear, though I did wonder about something to do with the Candyboxes that just didn't make sense to me.

There were a few too many characters to really keep track of, but a couple stood out. The main villain was plenty convincing, and I thought Odette was a great contrast to that individual. Odette was probably my favorite character, and it was worth following the story just to see what would end up happening to her.
In 1967, four women scientists were determined to make time travel a reality. They worked non-stop to make that happen – and succeeded. Then, as they were introducing the world to their achievement on nationwide television, one of them has a breakdown. The self-appointed leader of the group, Margaret, said that Barbara’s breakdown was jeopardizing not only their project but the future of time travel, too. Barbara is sent to a mental institution to recover but isn’t allowed to return to the project. Fifty years later, time travel is a huge success, and Margaret has created a consortium to control time travel with her at the head of the organization. When Barbara receives a newspaper clipping from the future reporting the murder of an unidentified woman, Beatrice’s granddaughter, Ruby, becomes obsessed with finding out if the murdered woman will turn out to be Barbara because why else would someone have sent the newspaper clipping to her?

Each chapter of this book is told from the perspective of one of the characters – not just the main characters. It can get confusing for the reader at times. The character list includes, among others, the four scientists, Barbara, Grace, Lucille, and Margaret; Ruby, Barbara’s granddaughter; Odette, a volunteer at the museum who finds a dead body; and the list goes on. The writing though is outstanding and had me engrossed from page one. This book is the debut book for author Kate Mascarenhas, but it reads like the work of much more experienced writer.

Mascarehas has written a multi-layered book and over the course of the book, she pulls away layer after layer providing the reader all the details of the events in the book by the end. Mascarehas has obviously spent an enormous amount of time plotting this complex novel and not once left any character or plot line hanging in the wind like so many other authors do.

If you want to read a well-written creative novel do let the words speculative fiction or women’s fiction deter you from picking this book up. The bottom line is that you’ll enjoy it no matter what your current favorite genre is.
This is an interesting cover and I quite like it. The longer you look at the cover, the more details you'll see and they fit the story so well. I listened to the audiobook for this one and the cover for that one has even more details! The four scientists at the bottom made me so happy to see. I also really like that there are years on this cover.

The Psychology of Time Travel is a pretty complex book and it demands your full attention when reading it. There a lot of different characters and different timelines. For me it wasn't always completely clear which year I was reading about and I couldn't look it up as I was listening to the audiobook. Apart from different timelines we also have different storylines. Since it's not told linear it can get a little confusing at times, but believe me, its worth it in the end!

As mentioned, there are a lot of characters but slowly it all comes together and that was so beautiful and so much fun. I especially love love loved how all the smaller POV's came together with the bigger ones. The story has a murder mystery as well, but it was like a very chill one? I felt like the murder mystery was a very small part of the story but the resolve was super satisfying! The ending of the book brought tears to my eyes
This is a highly original speculative fiction novel with sci-fi, romance and murder mystery elements,  by a first time author who manages to pull a story together brilliantly despite multiple time lines and character perspectives. Much like last year’s “7 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle” this is a bit of a brain melter but is totally worth the extra attention required.

In the late 1960s, four female scientists, working out of a remote base in Scotland, invent a time machine and become known as the Pioneers, rapidly developing the technology and creating an institution to control it, known as the Conclave, which has its own laws, ethics, culture, training system and politics. Ousted early on after a psychotic break triggered by too much time travel, Barbara has led a quiet life for the following fifty years, but when she receives a report of a mysterious death, her grand daughter Ruby, a psychologist, gets involved to try and protect her. Meanwhile Odette, a young woman from Seychelles who longs to be a detective, finds the body and, suspecting a cover up, joins the Conclave to solve the mystery.

I loved that this was a book, about the traditionally male theme of time travel, where all the main characters are women, and some of them are not white, and some of them are not straight, and this is portrayed in a totally accepting way where nobody’s gender actually matters. I got really sick of people (including my husband) complaining that the latest season of Doctor Who was “too politically correct” as if this was a bad thing, when all it was doing was showing the diversity of modern Britain. Unfortunately DW was let down by crap plots rather than the fact that a woman was in charge, but that is definitely not the case here.

Yes it was hard to remember who was who and how they all connected, it’s a book best read quite quickly so as to keep track, but by noting the time period marked at the start of each chapter, and once the “rules” of time travel were established - quite different to normal sci-fi tropes, it did all slot into place for me. There were perhaps a few unnecessary characters whose arcs didn’t get resolved but I liked the inter-connections between the main protagonists and how good people tackled the moral dilemmas created by unrestricted time travel which was restricted to a select few.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc in exchange for an honest review. The Psychology of Time Travel is available now.
Over fifty years ago, Margaret, Lucille, Grace, and Barbara worked together without pause until solved the problem of time travel and built a time machine that not only moved bunnies but people. All that work, pressure, and the time travel experience itself was too much for Barbara who had a psychic break during their press conference announcing their discovery. The dogmatic and domineering aristocrat Margaret could not stand for it and banished poor Barbara from anything to do with the Conclave, the bureaucracy she created to manage time travel.

In 2018, Odette discovered a dead body, someone shot in a locked room. She seeks therapy from Ruby Rebello, who happens to be Barbara’s granddaughter. Odette is haunted by the mystery and wants to answer the riddle of how the dead woman ended up in the boiler room. Meanwhile, Ruby is following clues of her own and both are led to the Conclave where Ruby meets Grace and Odette finds a mentor. Can Odette solve the locked room mystery? Will Ruby solve the mysteries in her grandmother’s life? Will Barbara ever get justice?

I think The Psychology of Time Travel is wonderfully inventive and original. However, I almost gave up on the book about a third of the way through. I had no idea where it was going and why it was proliferating so many characters. They came together, but I do think the book might be stronger with fewer characters. I am glad I stuck it out but I found it uneven, much better at the end and the beginning and a bit of a muddle in the middle.

This book is perhaps a little cavalier about paradoxes since it allows a multiplicity of one individual to meet together for a party or one person to perform a pas de deux with herself. Overall I enjoyed and loved the time travel taxonomy that is developed.

The assumption is that time travel hardens people, but perhaps that is the wrong lesson.  Organizations develop in the shape of their founders and the Conclave is as sociopathic as Margaret and that is perhaps the real psychology of time travel.

I received an e-galley of The Psychology of Time Travel from the publisher through NetGalley.

The Psychology of Time Travel at Crooked Lane Books
Kate Mascarenhas author site
Take The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants + Hidden Figures + Time Travel and you've got The Psychology of Time Travel by  Kate Mascarenhas. The concept is absolutely fantastic - four women invent time travel in the 1960's and soon learn about the devastating effects it can pose. Use of the time travel machine can lead to the traveler experiencing a mental break. This book is exceptionally written and weaves in romance, sci-fi aspects, and even a healthy dash of a whodunit murder mystery.
I received a complimentary ARC copy of The Psychology of Time Travel
by Kate Mascarenhas NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books in order to read and give an honest review.

... A unique and interesting entry in the time travel genre.

I have always been a huge fan of time travel stories. Kate Mascarenhas’s debut The Psychology of Time Travel focuses on what happens to people's psyche when they travel back and forth in time. What would happen if you could go back in time whenever you wanted and spend a day with loved ones who have passed away? Would it change how you view death? Would you take life for granted? The Psychology Of Time Travel answers these questions.

When four women discover time travel in 1960’s they launch an empire for themselves called “The Conclave” When one of the pioneers, Barbara suffers from a very public psychotic episode she is removed from the team and ostracized. The beginning of the book lays the groundwork for each of their personal journeys and how they adjust to the ability to travel and to meet their future or “silver” selves. Some flourish, some flounder, except for Barbara who is not allowed back and not only loses her purpose but her friends too.

The book picks up in the modern day when Barbara receives a cryptic clue of a death notice about an elderly woman who is murdered in the future. Barbara and her psychologist granddaughter Ruby begin trying to unravel the pieces. There is also a suspicious and puzzling murder of a woman in a small museum which occurs in a locked room with no way in or out. The body is damaged beyond recognition, no one is certain who it is, why they were there or how it happened. When a young museum worker Odette finds the body, she is traumatized, ends up seeking counsel from Ruby and can’t rest until she finds out what happened. Odette follows her suspicions and even goes undercover at the Conclave to get to the bottom of it. How could she solve a murder where the murderer could slip in an out of time?

Told from various viewpoints and throughout various time periods, this book tracks multiple characters jumping back and forth in time, some even meeting their future selves in the same room. It takes a while to catch onto which "version" of the character is present.

A unique and interesting entry in the time travel genre. Mascarenhas has created a very character driven novel with multifaceted characters who you grow to care about.

Definitely, an emotional roller coaster filled with mystery and fantasy. I look forward to reading more from this author. Highly recommend!
Debut novelist Kate Mascarenhas has crafted a thoughtful, intricate, time-traveling murder mystery in The Psychology of Time Travel. In this alternate history, four female scientists create the world’s first time travel machine in 1967 that results in a powerful corporation of time travelers who travel back and forth from that time period on through the future. I appreciated how the author thoughtfully portrayed the psychological and sociological implications that would happen as some people can transcend time while the rest of “plodders” can only progress one way through time. How do your thoughts about death change when can you know your own death date ahead of time and can also do one last visit of all your loved ones? Does death lose its significance? How does the nature of love change? How do you investigate crime without changing the future? The novel delves into all of this and more. One of the strengths of the novel is how it deftly portrays how power can corrupt. The biggest weakness for me is the subplot about the one who scientist who had a mental breakdown as they announced their discovery. For some reason, it struck a discordant note with me. Overall, it is a stimulating read.
Thanks to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books, and the author Katie Mascarenhas for an advanced electronic review copy.
[Excerpt]:

This is a story about time travel. It’s also the story of a mysterious murder and who committed it. Since this was Mascarenhas’s debut novel, it’s obviously my first time experiencing her writing. The premise seemed promising: 4 women scientists (hallelujah!!) discover time travel, and after shunning one of their own who has a breakdown on TV during the reveal, they form the Conclave, a corporation responsible for the management of time travel and time travellers. It’s not often that women are credited with world-altering inventions (in fiction, yes, but definitely in real life, too), so I figured I would give this book a try. The cover was nice and whimsical, the synopsis intrigued me, and I rarely, if ever, read books about time travel, so I was overdue.

And let me tell you: I was NOT disappointed!

This book was told in such a refreshing manner. While I was reading it, all I could think was: “This is SO SOOTHING.” Mascarenhas’s writing is the equivalent of sitting down in a comfy armchair with a blanket and a cup of tea, next to a roaring fireplace, while rain or snow falls outside. The author is British, which clearly comes through in the writing (not to mention the characters live in and around London), and the dialogue and descriptions flow smoothly. There’s no awkward sentences or stilted conversations. Everything is cozy and warm. Even though the major plot is that of a murder, and some portions of the book may be loosely “thriller-esque,” I never felt anxious or afraid for what happened next. Something about Mascarenhas’s writing makes the entire atmosphere of this book delightful. I finished this book in only 3-4 days because of that feeling.

[Full review on my blog!]
An interesting book about the beginning of time travel and the consequences. While it can be a little hard to follow jumping from time period to time period i did enjoy reading it
Rating:  3 bumpy time-traveling stars

In Kate Mascarenhas’ debut novel she has presented a unique view of what time travel might look like.  One of the editors at the publishing company, Crooked Lane Books, suggested (in the preface of the ARC copy that I read) that this book was a layered, sophisticated debut novel.   I don’t disagree with that assessment, but for me I think that the book was too layered, too frenetic and a bit too disjointed to be relished as fully as the editor had hoped.

In the opening chapters we meet the four founding women scientists who perfect the ability to time-travel in the 1967.  Barbara, one of the team members appears to be unable to cope with the pressure and is banned from the team after their process is developed.  Skip forward 50 years, and we are reintroduced to ‘Granny Bee’ and her granddaughter Ruby Rebello.  Ruby vaguely knows what her grandmother was involved in years ago.  When Bee receives a note about the future from someone in her past Ruby is spurred on to try to solve the underlying mystery described in the note which may indicate that Granny Bee is in danger.

From there we go on a bit of a mind-bending, and sometimes confusing ride.   There are a lot of characters who we meet in many phases of their lives.  Through the wonders of time travel, the select few people allowed to be time travelers by the dystopian organization, ‘The Conclave’ (which was created after time travel became possible), bounce back and forth in time.  They are able to meet their ‘Silver’ (older) and ‘Green’ (younger) selves.   Adding a murder mystery, a love story, and many scenes involving people in earlier or later times, and then encountering them again in the present, meant that as a reader I had to work pretty hard to keep everything straight.

For me, the writing was good, but the book tried to pack too many stories and a few gimmicks into the plot.  There was too many scenes spent bouncing around between time frames that didn’t really add to the story.  It didn’t make sense that a ‘green’ self would want to attend a funeral of a friend who dies in the future.  How do you meet someone and fall in love, only to go visit them on their deathbed as a ‘silver’ self, long after you had actually died?    These were probably meant to be thought provoking scenes, it IS Speculative Fiction.  However, I didn’t really think that scenes like this moved the plot along, but were inserted to solely to be speculative.  Maybe I’m not an imaginative enough reader.  I felt a bit like I was bouncing around in a pinball machine.    I think the book would have been more successful if it had fewer things that it was trying so hard to convey.

‘Thank-You’ to NetGalley; the publisher, Crooked Lane Books; and the author, Kate Mascarenhas; for providing a free e-ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I LOVED the premise of this book - a story about 4 women scientists who’ve developed the ability to travel through time (woohoo, go girl science power)! The problem with this one was how quick the story went. I wanted more detail about how their scientific discovery went in the beginning of the book. The first few chapters were so crucial, I just felt like they flew by! The story takes a quick turn to focus on a murder mystery, almost leaving the revel of discovery behind in the dust. A very unique story, but I just wanted more.  I'm not sure if I liked having to switch to the mindset of being between a sci-fi novel, contemporary fiction novel, and a mystery.

Thank you crooked lane books for my copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
'The Psychology of Time Travel' is a weird and brilliant gem of a book, glowing under strange lights, unsettling and hard to look away from. Four women invent a machine that makes travelling through time possible; decades later, time is more of a network than a line, older and younger versions of the same person converge on moments in their shared timelines, and, in the basement of a toy museum, a woman has been murdered in a locked room.

With a cast of characters that spans the original quartet of women, their children and grandchildren, other prominent members of the organisation created to enable and regulate travel through time, and the bystanders drawn into the orbit of time travel, it is a testament to Mascarenhas' dexterity and care that this book carries itself so lightly - it would be easy, I think, to get lost in populating such a world, and even easier to get tired, resort to shorthand, substitute stylisation or parody for dimension. Easy likewise to drown in the unfamiliar language, the theoretical science, the jarring movements in time and space, the knotted relationships between characters whose interactions are not entirely linear, and lose sight of plot. Though these elements are clever in their conception and impressive in their execution, they are the spine, and not the heart of Mascarenhas' story, and this is, I think, why she loses neither substance of character nor shape of plot.

I say the heart of 'The Psychology of Time Travel' but it is maybe more accurately somewhere between the heart and the mind; at its centre, this book is a feeling out of what it would mean, emotionally, intellectually, socially, to let go of beginning life at one point and dying at another and travelling a straight line between the two. It presses at the already present bruises of mental illness, trauma, grief, sexuality, and wonders how time travel might manifest or transform those states of being and thinking. It asks about death, and how a person's relationship to it would change if only one's own death was truly the end. And through Mascarenhas' characters, the choices they face and the ones they make, the relationships they form and those they reject, we have a series of hypothetical answers, a construction of an alternate psychological, as well as physical, reality.

I'm running out of words; all I have left is that I'm deeply impressed and surprised and excited by this book. I've never read anything quite like it.
I received an ARC from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley in exchange of honest review.

Considering the number of positive reviews that it got, then it's definitely me. I was surprised to see the writing style used in this book, especially in this particular genre. I have to double check to see if it's targeted towards middle-grader. I'm not a writer myself and English is not my first language, but right from its very first page, I was completely aware the narration and writing style will not work for me. It feels like someone sits me down and makes me listen to the story rather than experience it.

The first few chapters were very rush and full of massive information dumpings. How can I explain this? Basically, here's what the author did from my perspective: "This is A and she's smart. This is B and she's brave. This is C and she's loyal. This is D and she's quirky. And here's the time travel machine that they're working on. They did it. They're happy. The end." Do you see my point? I don't even have an opportunity to connect with these characters, because basically, what I knew about these characters came from the fact and information that served by the author herself, not from the journey and process of reading this story. This really threw me off. I couldn't careless about these characters, let alone their stories. And it really sets a certain mood, even when I tried to keep going.

Also, the concept of time travel was not explained very well. This book tried to take a different approach for this topic where paradox does not exist and we can interact with our older/younger self without causing timeline disruption. I appreciate the originality that the author tried to achieve, but again, it's very poorly executed and caused a lot of confusion.
The title of this book tells you exactly what this book is about, the psychology of time travel. What does time travel do to a persons mind and personality? How would it affect a person’s perceptions and relationships? How would society be affected by time travel becoming as normal an occurrence as flight or space travel?

The book jumps back and forth in time … as it should considering the subject matter, right? A woman has died in 2018. Who is she? That is the first part of the mystery of this story. She was one of four brilliant young women who invented the technology that makes time travel possible. They were also the backbone of what becomes a global organization that controls the use of that technology.

This corporation exists outside of time, and away from any interference or regulation by any government. It has over time been molded into something cult-ish, controlling and corrupt. Employees are affected by this corporate culture to the extent that death becomes meaningless in their lives. Think about that for a moment, imagine if you can simply go back and forth in time to visit the people you love and have lost. Sounds wonderful, but the author has dealt with the isolation and solitary feelings that would happen when you become detached from a phenomenon that is at the core of the human experience, death.

I found the book fascinating. It doesn’t get too deep, just enough to spur your imagination. I started out giving this book 3 stars, but I think I’m bumping it up to 4. I felt at first it was a little too predictable and that I had already figured out the mystery early on. But around 75% into the book I realized that the mystery was much more complex than I’d first imagined. What’s more, the mystery wasn’t the focus anyway.

I enjoyed this book. I hope you do to. It’s worth a read.

Song for this book: It’s Only Time – The Magnetic Fields
Time travel is a popular subject for books and movies, but it is often difficult to have a believable way for it to happen.  In this book, there are four scientific ladies who make it happen.  The focus is mostly on what happens physically and mentally to the time travelers.  It's a complicated story full of a variety of strong women.