Prosper Redding The Last Life of Prince Alastor

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Feb 2019

This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
Loved reading this! I wasn't sure what to expect, but this book is so much more than I first thought! So good!
I loved the first book in this series and was greatly looking forward to this second installment. I love the concept of having someone to communicate with in your head. I honestly did not like this boom as well as the first and I can’t quite figure out why. It wasn’t drawing me in as much and I think I was just used to it. The ending picked up for me and I was very pleased with how it ended.
The Last Life of Prince Alastor was a fantastic middle grade read. Picking up right from the ending of The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding, we spend most of the book exploring the Downstairs (demon world). Both Alastor and Prosper grow and learn a lot in this book and I loved reading it!
A beautiful conclusion to a delightful and deliciously wicked tale!

This is an epic adventure through a dark and dangerous world. We learn so much more in this book about Alastor, his original deal with Prosper's ancestor, Honor, and the world of the Fiends. We also meet new characters and get introduced to new and complex forms of magic.

Bracken's signature descriptive style is on full display throughout this story. I was absolutely transported to this world. It was DARK and I loved every moment of it! There were a few areas in the beginning that I felt the pace dragged a little bit but by the mid-point, all traces of that were gone.

As with the first book, there is a light humor to this dark tale, and I did laugh out loud numerous times at Alastor and his musings. There are also some important lessons woven throughout this story that were nicely incorporated into this Middle Grade storyline.

I loved the overall feeling of this book touching on topics such as: striving to do the 'right thing' regardless of obstacles or an easier way out; the value of strong friendships and familial connections; the idea that it is okay to fail at something as long as you learn and grow from it, and that traditions should not stand if the roots of them are not worth upholding.

I won't lie. The end of this brought tears to my eyes. I have grown so attached to Prosper and Alastor over the course of these two books. Watching them both grow and evolve has been such a great thing to take part in. Although that isn't a very eloquent way to describe it, I am at a loss for words to describe how much feeling I got out of this story. What seems like such a fun and uncomplicated story of a demon inhabiting a boy is really so much more than that.

If you haven't yet picked up this story, I highly recommend it. They are short and quick to get through and an absolutely delightful reading experience. Two thumbs way up!!! Thank you so much to the publisher, Disney-Hyperion, for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity and had a wonderful time finishing this up.
Takes you right into the action, and where the first one left off, and follows the main characters (Alastor and Prosper) down into the underworld of sorts, to try to navigate their way through the malefactor's realm to save Prue, we are introduced to a lot more backstory and the story develops well enough for a middle grade read.
I read about half of this book in one sitting. I think I may have enjoyed it just a smidge more than the first book. It was interesting to see how Prosper coped with the change of circumstances, and with Alastor's growing presence. Alastor's snarky presence was also fun to read, and his character development was engaging.

I did think some of the characters we met near the end were...unexpected, but I still enjoyed it.

I will admit that I was a little taken aback by the introduction of the elves as ancients who could basically create worlds and beings, but I took from it the warning that messing with the core of what humans are only ends in bad things happening.
I found this second book in the series to be marginally better than the first. There were times when I thought the author was trying too hard to be clever and cute and it all just got a bit too over-the-top for me. About a fourth of the way in, I was ready to give up. But, I stuck it out and the book did improve. I do think, however, middle schoolers might enjoy it.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I went ahead and reread the first book before starting this book since I loved it so much and it had been a while since I first read it. In that time, I forgot exactly how much I loved this series! Book #1 was just as good the second time as it was reading it the first time, and book #2 was AH-MAY-ZING!!!

I 💓💓💓 the fiends! They are my favorite! I know Alastor is supposed to be the bad guy, but I love him too! Plus, in this book, Prosper travels Downstairs, so we get to meet a bunch of other fiends!

Just like the first book, this book CRACKED ME UP! I love the author's sense of humor and how she has the fiends doing funny/silly things with such seriousness.

I absolutely LOVE this book and have nothing bad to say about it!

However, the author set the ending up where there will likely be another book added to the series, but there is no book #3 listed on GoodReads yet. That usually means that it will be a while until the next book is released. I sure hope she puts out another book soon!

I received a copy of this book from the publishers after I wished for it on NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
I like that this book left the setting of the first book and took the reader on an entirely new adventure in Downstairs. It was fun being able to visualize and read about what the fiends' home looked like. I was touched by the ending, and the change was believable.

I was a little frustrated that Prosper didn't use the information he had to keep everyone safe. I understand that he didn't want to force anyone to do something against their will, but only the black and white areas were addressed. But there were plenty of gray areas that could've kept everyone safe and secure. Also, a lot of the humor and quips between Prosper and Alastor from the first book were missing from this one. It definitely struck a different chord. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different.
I loveddddddddd this book. It was so good. While it was not as great as the first, which set the world and characters up, it did go into a whole new world. I loved the characters and story! I highly recommend this book not just for middle grade but for adults and teens too!
This is the fun and whimsical sequel to The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding, which I adored. This book was a little too whimsical and slow paced for my tastes. It is still fun and has all of the great characters from the first book. I would still highly recommend it to the middle grade crowd.

The plot picks up with Prosper and Alastor heading Downstairs to save Prosper's sister Prue from Alastor's sister Pyra. You would think they would go on some amazing adventure, and they do, it just takes a long time for for the action to develop. This is where the pacing was off for me. The boy and the fiend just kind of wander around dealing with different kinds of fiends and accomplish nothing for about half the book before anything exciting happens. I had so much fun reading the first book, but this one just didn't have the same feel. I think because this takes place in the realm of the fiends, there were many scenes that were just kind of silly that I think middle grade readers will LOVE, I'm going to recommend this series to my 10 year old for sure. This is where the book was just a bit too much on the whimsical side for me.

There is a ton of character development in this book. I was excited that Nell came along for the adventure and we get to know her more and see her develop as a witch. Prosper also develops a ton as a character as he is faced with many tough decisions on his journey to save his sister. We also get to know Alastor better both in the present and in the past as we get quite a bit of his back story when he dealt with Honor Redding and made his original bargain. There are quite a few twists when it comes to the characters in the book that I really liked.

That being said the 2nd half of the book picks up was fairly exciting and a lot happens. There is magic, there are some really interesting fantasy creatures who are really well described, the fiend world of Downstairs is well developed, and I think as far as the story goes it wrapped up nicely.
1 like
I want to say that I loved this book a lot even though the first book for me was just average. I can't wait to read more books from Alexandra Bracken.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of Prosper Redding: The Last Life of Prince Alastor.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Very cool book!  For me, this was a much awaited sequel!  The creatures and events in the "downstairs" realm were vividly described and consequently very interesting.  I appreciated the way the story wrapped-up.  This was somewhat the ending that I was hoping for... Though I enjoyed this book, it was very different from the first one.  Some of what I loved was just absent  in this one, partly because of the setting for this novel.  I have to honestly say that I preferred the first one--especially from a teacher's perspective--but both were great books!

Thank you to NetGalley and Alexandra Bracken for the ARC!
I really enjoy this book and will be missing these characters. If you haven't pick up this series, you are missing out. I am in love with Alexandra Bracken writing and can't wait for her upcoming/future novels.
I requested an eARC of The Last Life of Prince Alastor by Alexandra Bracken a very long time ago. It was actually one of the first books I ever requested on NetGalley, and it was a huge surprise to me when I actually got it. In case you missed it, I did a full review of the first book in this series The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding. I loved that book, so I was really excited to get back to these characters, especially Alastor.

If you haven’t already read book 1 of this series, there may be spoilers ahead, so proceed with caution! As Alastor would probably say, abandon all hope ye who enter here…maggots!

The book takes place largely in Alastor’s realm, which was a big departure from the previous book. I did find myself missing Salem quite a bit. Part of the first book’s charm for me was seeing Alastor trying to acclimate to the human world, and recognizing the landmarks of Salem described throughout the story. Though Salem is gone, Alastor still has a lot of adjusting to do. In Prince Alastor, his struggle is more with the emotional and logical side of humanity than the physical side.

Alastor himself takes the focus a lot more in this instalment, in general. Though Prosper is still decidedly the main character, I was really happy to see more of Alastor’s inner thoughts and reactions. A lot has changed around his home since he went away to the mortal world, and the adjustment is not an easy one for him.

Just like in book 1, there are some BIG themes in Prince Alastor. One of the major ones is forgiveness. Prosper and his friend Nell have some drama to deal with. Watching them reconcile their differences is great. Their plotline really speaks to the importance of communicating and just discussing interpersonal problems instead of ignoring them.

Even when faced with a whole host of new creatures and terrifying dangers, the mortals in this story really shine. They bring a level of logic and wit that even Alastor is surprised by at times. I loved seeing them work together, and you can really feel how much Prosper and Nell care for each other.

If you loved book 1, I would definitely encourage you to continue the series! Though there are some big differences between them, the second book wraps up the story very well. I love that the book continued to have lots of thematic meat, and I see myself revisiting Alastor and co. again in the future.
Alexandra Bracken is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I enjoy her writing style and how beautifully she constructions sentences and creates worlds within worlds. I loved the first Prosper Redding book and was devastated to reach the cliffhanger ending because I didn't realize that there was supposed to be another book! Thankfully the second one really made all the waiting worth it because the sequel does an outstanding job of writing up the stories and bringing everything to a satisfactory conclusion.

The Last Life of Prince Alastor picks up exactly where the first Prosper Redding novel leaves off, with Propser and Alastor making a deal to go "Downstairs" to rescue Prosper's sister Prue and also to help Alastor regain his power and take back his kingdom. They are quickly followed by Nell, the witch from the first book who "betrayed" Prosper but is determined to show him that she is better than that. I love the dynamic between the two of them because they are always there to help and support one another and Prosper is always willing to help Nell bolster her confidence, while Nell is always there to call Prosper to the carpet and feed him the tough truths that he isn't always willing to hear. Along their journey, they encounter a couple of allies and a bunch of mystical, demonic creatures who are after Prosper/Alastor in order to bring them to Pyra -Alastor's sister who has taken over the kingdom. They're not only hiding from the fiends but also running from something called The Void, which is in the process of eating up the entire realm and everything in it, though Pyra has promised that she can stop this from happening.

The book starts off a humorous, fast-paced journey through the Third Realm and involves Prosper and his group evading a lot of narrow misses and trying to come up with crazy plans to get out of the jams they find themselves in. However, the last half the book turns into something much deeper and more meaningful than a simple supernatural adventure. To me, the book is truly about how the past impacts everyone and how you have to make the choice, every day, as to whether you will let your past choices and the choices made in your family's past define you or if you will choose to break the cycle. The book also gives readers the message that it is always possible to change and is never truly too late for anyone. I felt like this message resonated a lot with the world now and how we seem, as a society, to be constantly torn between our past and how things have always been and whether we should work to change things so that we can stop doing things because that's how they're done. I found the end very moving and meaningful and very much enjoyed the way that Bracken wrapped up the story for all the characters involved.

I would recommend this book/duology to readers who like supernatural stories but don't want anything too scary or cumbersome. It has all the elements of a great spooky stories -ghosts, witches, fiends, curses- without anything too frightening. A very satisfying and wonderful read! Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
A fine follow up to an exciting beginning. The wrap-up is a little hasty and doesn't have much to do with the main character's efforts, but it's sweet and engaging.
A really fun and spooky sequel to an already unforgettable story. We start this book right where the first ended and follow Prosper while he travels to The Third Realm to save his sister. We got even more world building in this second instalment, and I loved being back in this story! The plot was action packed and the characters were diverse, unique, and well developed. The Last Life Of Prince Alastor focuses on family and friendship and the importance of doing what is right. While it is targeted for middle grade readers, I would highly suggest it to any fantasy fans looking for a spooky world, highly loveable characters, and a un-put-down-able story arc.
"What evil can come from a choice made with a pure heart and the best of intentions?"

If you know me, you know it's essentially impossible for me to talk about books without talking about The Darkest Minds. Ergo, it's impossible for me to talk about my favorite authors without bringing up Alexandra Bracken. From dystopian worlds to time travel troubles to middle-grade Halloween-ish adventures, I've never once walked away from a Bracken book without being absolutely and utterly gobsmacked. And, unsurprisingly, The Last Life of Prince Alastor was no exception.

By the end of The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (which you can read my full review of here!), we're left with endless questions - most of these pointing to the mysterious world that is the Downstairs. The Last Life of Prince Alastor follows Propser as he attempts to navigate a realm in which he was clearly not invited to, while also following Alastor as he tries to reclaim what he deems as his rightful throne. At this point, I feel like I sound like a broken record because I always seem to suggest that it's best to read an Alexandra Bracken novel blind. But, in my defense, I really do think that in doing so, you're setting yourself up for the best wild ride possible.

"I'd made mistakes, I'd been misled, but I wasn't some helpless victim in this story."

Admittedly, and I think a majority of book lovers can agree, sequels have a way of being incredibly nerve-racking. Personally, my biggest fear with sequels are the dreaded recaps. Even though I'm pretty sure I have the worst memory of all mankind, I don't want to spend 50 or so pages being spoon fed what happened in the last book because it simply becomes repetitive or boring. LLOPA does remind us what happened in the last installment, but only in small side notes and not full chunks of a chapter. This may seem like a small thing to notice, but it already puts the book on my goodside. (That, and the fact that I get to revisit some of my favorite characters with my favorite author. I might just be a little bit biased here).

In the same vein, because we're falling into a whole new realm (we are quite literally falling through an open mirror), some substantial world building has to be done. From the moment we're in the Downstairs with Prosper and Alastor, we're immediately introduced to the off-putting smell, the perpetually-dark sky, and how the land is laid out. We're right there with Prosper as Alastor explains the Downstairs to him and how their overall hierarchy works. And because of Prosper's complete inability to keep himself out of trouble, we meet Ogres, Fiends, and Ghouls along the way. The description to this new world feels natural, realistic, and instantly drew me in.

"I am always right, Alastor said. There are only degrees of how correct I am."

I truly cannot stop thinking about how well Prosper was written as a character. There are countless complexities and realistic tendencies woven into him in this sequel that I can't get over it. Prosper goes through a constant internal pull when he's trying to decide between what's right and wrong, and it just felt so humane. Similarly, there were often two different Prospers because, at times, he felt like he needed to put on a brave face when other times all he really wanted was a little bit of help. Even though I'm now 22, I could relate to so many of the thoughts that Prosper had.

When I read books with the intentions of reviewing them, I take notes in my phone, and my favorite note taken for LLOPA was definitely: "Honestly just talk about how much you love Alastor." As weird as it is to say that I missed reading in the voice of a parasitic malefactor, I really did. I missed his clever insults - some of my favorites from this book being "Gorbellied, crook-plated measle" and "Abominable, crusty thumb" - and his cunning schemes. I can't delve deep into the specifics of why I loved him so much in this book for fear of spoilers, but you've got to trust me on this one; his character development is unreal.

Alex aways somehow finds a way to introduce side characters that embellish the story and add to the main characters, not take away from them. We meet elves, shades, new changelings (friendly reminder that I still love Toad with my whole heart), and they each add a new level to the story. And with that, they add even more plot twists that will be sure to leave your jaw on the floor. Furthermore, Alexandra Bracken brings in her ability to discuss big problems readers of this genre might encounter in their own lives, but she stays on track with the plot; it doesn't feel forced whatsoever. There's one plot point with Nell that I really think every single reader can relate to; I know I can.

"You're a good friend, Prosper Redding."

"You're a better friend, Nell Bishop."

It's important for a story to be entertaining. It's fun to escape to a world that's not like your own, but it starts to get really impressive when an author can include elements of our world into a fictional one. Even in a world filled with monsters threatening to take over the human realm, we can still afford a lesson of how we should treat others even when they're different than us.

And again, without giving too much away, the plot is so intricately planned and executed. When you think your questions are close to being answered and the story is going to start wrapping up, yet another plot twist hits you in the face and pushes you forward. You're right there with Prosper as he looks for answers to his questions and tries to make his own connections. The twists will even keep you guessing until the very end.

"When a castle is crumbling, you do not stop to find the crack that began it all, you try to hold all of the fracturing walls together in any manner you can, to the best of your ability."

The fantastical elements of this book are nothing short of amazing but, what really grounded this story for me, where the natural moments between Prosper and Nell. There were small conversations of reassurance and general friend banter that made them feel like real people. I could even see myself having these same chats with some of my own friends. Nell also even has an incredibly realistic experience with a Barbie Flower which genuinely had me thinking, "that's me! that's me!"

AH! I keep having to press the delete button on so many sections of this review because I don't want to spoil anything, but there is just so much I could talk about. This could probably easily turn into a 7 page, MLA formatted literary analysis. So please, please, please go pick it up so we can talk about THAT ENDING, and I can stop rambling about it here.

The Last Life of Prince Alastor officially comes out on February 5, so make sure you run out to your local bookstores or place a preorder!

The absolute BIGGEST thank you to NetGalley and Disney Hyperion for providing me with an arc to review!

Overall: 4.5 white foxes out of 5.

Want to talk about this book or see me review your favorite? Just let me know!