The Lost Girls of Paris

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Feb 2019

Meh. I need to stop reading these women in WWII books. They're all flowing together and mixing me up. This one's about women agents sending info by wire to confuse the Germans.
Aside from my psychological thrillers, historical fiction is one of my very favorite genres, and those who know me know I’m obsessed with anything Paris or France related!! @pamjenoff weaves an amazing tale of three women and the ring of spies they join during WWII and the woman desperate to learn their story in the #lostgirlsofParis. This is an absolute must read! I finished it one sitting (and I may have cried at times). It was mesmerizing! Thanks to @netgalley and @parkrowbooks for the #arc this past winter! This is one of my favorite books ever!
Adored this historical fiction novel about women helping with the French Resistance during WW2! It is always amazing to me how determined and brave people were during that time. Loved this book!
Great characters, and a compelling story line.  Descriptions that let a reader visualize the scene in great detail, without making a laundry list of all the individual items.  Altogether, such a good book that I worried that something like this might have really happened during WW2, and only now have the historical records been declassified and brought out to public knowledge.
I was so sad that this was archived before I was finished reading it!! I liked the beginning of the story and was interested to see where Jenoff took readers. Sadly, I wasn't able to finish.

HOWEVER, it is my next book club read so hopefully I'll have the chance to read it soon!
Book Review ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ The Lost Girls of Paris by @pamjenoff. Hauntingly written story. Absolutely brilliant perspective of women in wartime, sucking my entire soul in from the first few pages. I could not stop.... “””One morning while passing through Grand Central Terminal on her way to work, Grace Healey finds an abandoned suitcase tucked beneath a bench. Unable to resist her own curiosity, Grace opens the suitcase, where she discovers a dozen photographs—each of a different woman. In a moment of impulse, Grace takes the photographs and quickly leaves the station.””” Working on my backlist for the @netgalley #reviewathon challenge. I honestly wish I would have read this so much sooner. 📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚
#thelostgirlsofparis #pamjenoff #netgalley #historicalfiction #nanasbooknook #bookstagram #partner #sponsored #ad #bookstagrammer #bibliophile #instabooks #bookcommunity #booksofinstagram  #arc  #bookbuzz  #bookcommunity #advancedreaderscopy
#bookworm #bookishnana #bookhangover
Based on a true story, The Lost Girls of Paris is another WWII novel that focuses on little-known people and organizations. The SOE employees girls fluent in French to work for their branch in France as radio officers. The story was extremely interesting, but the point of view, told from three different perspectives at different times, made it a little more difficult not only to follow, but to connect to the story. It took me about half way until I felt engaged, and as much as I loved the historical aspect, it just didn’t speak to me like other WWII novels.

However, the afterword illuminates the true historical figure this novel is based on, and I’m intrigued to learn more about her now.
I loved this one, and I am not a historical fiction type of reader. A great story with intriguing characters and well thoughtful plot lines that make this feel like a Netflix movie. In fact, I recommend that this get made into a Netflix movie! Highly recommended.
Very interesting and believable period  piece  for historical fiction.  Everything seems to fit period and historically correct, it is important for me.  Plot  is interesting and  easy to follow.  Definitely recommended for  readers who love WW 2 series.
The book moves between two such short spans of time, but the world changed so much during those years. In 1946, when Grace literally stumbles across a suitcase in Grand Central Station, even she is unsure why she removes a packet of photos of young women, some dressed in military looking attire. In 1943, Eleanor Trigg, employed with the Special Operations Executive (SOE), is tasked with finding women to go to France to aid the Resistance with counter intelligence, sabotage and radio transmitting. Soon, several girls are chosen, only a handful whose stories we actually learn about. The history of this is based in fact and real women, according the author's note at the end, which makes it very interesting. I read quickly to learn more about Marie in France, Eleanor's worries in England and about Grace in post war New York City.
Jenoff’s mesmerizing newest hits my sweet spot: WWII intrigue with brave female spies part of the Resistance who never return home. A grand tale unearthing their fate, beautifully written, meticulously researched, one of my faves this year for certain! 5 of the 5 Heartiest Stars!

Pub Date 29 Jan 2019. Available on Amazon.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#TheLostGirlsOfParis #NetGalley
Amazing, really gripping historic fiction. Really loved the writing, literally couldn’t put this one down. Highly recommend.
The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff
Park Row, 2019
Fiction/Historical; 384 pgs

Pam Jenoff has long been on my must read author list, and I was excited when offered the opportunity to read and review her latest, The Lost Girls of Paris. Women going undercover just at the beginning of World War II? I could not say no to that.

The novel is split between two time lines--that of 1946, where widowed Grace Healey is trying to re-build her life after the death of her husband during the war. On her way to work one day, an accident forces her to walk through Grand Central Terminal where she stumbles upon an abandoned suitcase. Curiosity gets the better of her, and she opens it, finding a dozen photographs of various women. Despite her better judgement, she takes the photos with her. It isn't until later she discovers the photos belonged to the now deceased Eleanor Trig, a British citizen with ties to the Special Operations Executive (SOE). The women featured in the photos are all missing, presumed dead. Grace sets out to find out the identity of the women and learn more about Eleanor. She gains help in an unexpected place, from a friend of her husband's.

Taking readers back to 1943, right before the war, Pam Jenoff introduces readers to Marie, a young mother who is recruited by Eleanor as a radio operator and special operative destined for Occupied Europe. Marie proves to be good at what she does despite both hers and Eleanor's initial reservations, but what awaits is danger and risk she never could imagine. Friendship, betrayal, and even love are the center of her story.

The Lost Girls of Paris was at times nail bitingly suspenseful and at other times heartbreaking--often both. The goal of the SOE was to sabotage the Germans in order to make it harder for them as they gained ground during the early part of World War II. It was a risk to add women to the mix, but the hope was their presence would be easier to hide than that of the British men who were already on  the ground in the occupied areas. Most of the men in authority were against the move, but desperation made it happen.

I was just as curious as Grace to find out what happened to the women. I thought it was interesting that the author chose two timelines that were so close together. It provided a nice juxtaposition between the time just before and after the war.

While many of the characters and events in Pam Jenoff's novel are pure fiction, the role women played during that time in the war was very real. For many years, women's roles have been downplayed or ignored, and I am grateful to authors like Jenoff who bring them into the limelight.

It was impossible not to get caught up in Eleanor and Marie's stories. They were both amazing women who proved that women should not be underestimated. If anything, I wish there had been more. I wanted to know more about all the characters, especially the women in the trenches, an even deeper delving into just who they were. Of course, with the way the novel played out, that might have been hard to do. The author would not want to reveal her hand to soon. Over all, I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost Girls of Paris. This was my first Pam Jenoff novel, but it will definitely not be my last. I cannot wait to read more b her.
I am so grateful to Harlequin via Netgalley for the eARC of The Lost Girls of Paris.
In the last several years I have really been loving the trend of books telling the lesser known stories, and The Lost Girls of Paris is no exception.
In Grand Central Terminal, 1946, when Grace finds pictures of some women in an abandoned suitcase, she is drawn into trying to figure out what happened to those women during the war.
Told in alternating timelines and viewpoints the reader travels from postwar New York City, to London and Paris in the lead up to D-day to see the courageous exploits of the female spies of WWII.
I definitely recommend this for anyone who appreciates good
historical fiction.
You will be hooked from the very beginning!!   Trying to figure out how the story comes together will keep you turning the pages. I've read a lot of historical fiction, especially WW2, and this is one of the better ones I've read.  The story of these British female secret agents (spies) in occupied France is fascinating and I highly recommend for any historical fiction lover!  I would recommend to readers who loved The Alice Network; although, I have to say that I enjoyed this one much more.

Thank you to Netgalley and Park Row Publishing for a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
There are a lot of historical novels based in the WWI/WWII era, and I have fallen in love with so many of them. So, when you give me a cast of women who play a crucial part in the resistance in occupied Europe during the war, I am here for it. Unfortunately, this novel didn't stand out as being among the exceptional ones. The premise is very intriguing and it should have made for a wonderful little book, but when it came to the execution, it fell short. Some of the details of this story just didn't come together for me. The characters were all one-note and the writing wasn't my favorite. This book has received rave reviews from people who are admittedly fans of the author, so maybe I wasn't the target audience for this one. *Advance copy provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
I really liked books I've previously read by Ms. Jenoff, and I had high hopes for this one too, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.  I liked that the story was told from three different points of view, but took such issues with the suspension of disbelief that had to occur when reading the book.  One of the characters going against all of her training, advice from colleagues -- why, why, why?  And then the verbal vomit spilling of top secret missions ugh!!!

I'll read Ms. Jenoff again, but this one was not for me.
Very well written unknown historical tale of the role that British women played in the clandestine efforts to end World War II.
This is just one of many stories of women how they had a impact on the senses behind the war,so many that during get credit for all their secret work they did for their country to end this war and to fight for freedom! The sacrifices this woman did,leave her child,her family and the secrets that had to be told to help not only her country but to keep her family safe! Wonderful story of these women ,the story will have you knowing who they are!!!  👵👵👵
I loved every single page of this book! When first reading the synopsis, I knew this would be a loved book for years to come by so many.  What an incredible story of bravery, survival and courage these women had during WWII!