Welcome to Adulting

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2019

“Welcome to Adulting” is a book I wish I had  in my early adulting years. If you are in your late teens or twenties, you need to pick up a copy of this book. The author Jonathan Pokluda gives a fresh perspective on what it means to be a young adult in a world where sex, fame, money, power and material possessions are the driving force.

Adulthood brings with it major responsibilities but it is also filled with many exciting moments. Looking back at my early adulting years, while I wanted Jesus to return, I silently hoped he would delay so I would have the opportunity to get married, finally visit Paris or some other exotic destination. Jonathan reminds reader that worldly accomplishments are all temporary. Instead of finding our identity in earthly things, we should embrace our true identity, after all eternity is at stake.

The book is divided into five sections, these include: knowing your purpose, work, relationships, fear and eternity. The author starts off the book recounting his story and sharing with us raw truths of his journey into adulthood. Jonathan also discusses the challenges he encounters while entering adulthood, he recounts situations that 20 somethings can most likely identify with – think one night stands, drinking and a world of other wrongs. While he appeared to be more of a playboy than an actual church kid, he finally came to grips that all the happiness he was aiming for was all temporary. As fate would have it, a one night encounter changed the trajectory of his life.

What I really liked about the book was how the author laid out each chapter. He weaved his own personal stories with each topic that was discussed as well as provided a biblical perspective. The way the book was laid out made the concepts pretty easy to understand. It is also easy to identify with the author. It is evident that he has “been there done that” and he knows what he is talking about.

While reading, there were quite a few golden gems mentioned that I had to whip out my note pad to record all those golden concepts. One of the more impactful ones for me, was this quote from the book, ” If you are more concerned about what people think of you than what God thinks of you, then the approval of others is an  idol to you.”  This is really deep and oh so true. I feel as though this quote was perfectly crafted just for me.  I will leave you to simmer on that quote for a while. Go get the book.

Topics such as “Adulting like a Boss” where he spoke about money and it not being all about the Benjamin’s had me hooked. I also enjoyed the chapter on knowing your purpose where he delves into a helpful acrostic that covers five different areas to help you learn more about how you have been uniquely created.

Welcome to Adulting by Jonathan Pokluda comes highly recommended. This is a must read for every young adult. It is certainly one of the better adulting books that I have read thus far and yes I have read quite a few. I would encourage every parent to snag a copy of this book for their child or as a gift for a friend. This would also make a perfect graduation gift for high school seniors.