The Farmer's Son

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Jun 2019

What a delightful memoir this was!  It actually read more like a journal.  The writing was concise yet full of interesting detail.  It was told with great clarity and love for the animals.  Weaving the history of cows with the history of man was a real eye opener.

Farming is not for the faint of heart or for those who expect to rock on the porch and watch the cows chew their cud in the pasture.  Just what all is involved in day to day care and operations was well described.  I was also appreciative of the inclusion of governmental regulations.

I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book and will look for more by Connell.
John Connell returns to his family farm after ten years .He shares with us a way of life most of us will never experience from early morning chores feeding all the cows to birthing new calves a particularly eye opening chapter.He shares with us his family life their dynamics .Ths was a lovely read for me a visit to a country a farm for me a city girl this was an eye opening experience,. #netgalley #hmh
The Farmer's Son is a dose of reality in our fast paced, industrial and urban world. It brings us back to the original methods of food production - small scale family farms where animals are valued as individuals and not just numbers in a feedlot. The family dynamics will be familiar for many who read this book, and the daily routines of the farm will be a welcome break for many. John Connell does a wonderful job introducing his readers to the life he is returning to after a long absence and his passion demonstrates why these small scale farms are so important  if we are to continue including meat in our diets.
I was unprepared by the rawness of the opening chapter - the bluntness of farm life - and that shock totally ruined the book for me. I tried several times to pick it back up and keep reading but those raw images wouldn't let me. ***Please consider adding a warning of some kind, either on the dust jacket or in the prologue of just how graphic the book's language is.***
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it!

For fans of The Shepherd’s Life, a poignant memoir—and #1 Irish bestseller—about a wayward son’s return home to his family’s farm, and how he found a new beginning in an age-old world
Farming has been in John Connell's family for generations, but he never intended to follow in his father's footsteps. Until, one winter, after more than a decade away, he finds himself back on the farm.
Connell records the hypnotic rhythm of the farming day—cleaning the barns, caring for the herd, tending to sickly lambs, helping the cows give birth. Alongside the routine events, there are the unforeseen moments when things go wrong: when a calf fails to thrive, when a sheep goes missing, when illness breaks out and when an argument between father and son erupts and things are said that cannot be unsaid.
The Farmer’s Son is the story of a calving season and the story of a man who emerges from depression to find hope in the place he least expected to find it. It is the story of Connell's life as a farmer, and of his relationship with the community of County Longford, with his faith, with the animals he tends, and, above all, with his father.

This is an oddly compelling and readable book: it is a wonderfully written memoir about the people we forget that make it possible for us to eat. (Seriously, if you ate today, thank a farmer!) I didn't expect that I would like it as much as I did but it was wonderfully written and totally enjoyable. I imagine that my mom and her book club would love this book as well ... keep in mind its May 7, 2019 release date and buy it!