The Woman Inside

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

Ugh, this book. I should have known before I chose it that I would come away with a less than stellar impression of it. And not because of the writer's ability or the thriller aspect, but because I do not like unreliable narrators and protagonists that I cannot find a reason to like anything about. This is one of those reads. If those aspects don't bother you, this book has many positives for you in the thrills and twists of the plot line. I just am not a lover of this style. You would think I would learn....

#TheWomanInside #NetGalley
This was a rollercoaster ride of a story all the way through. Starts off with a bang and leaves you with many questions that keep twisting on themselves throughout the book. I loved the narration of each characters raw innermost thoughts, and necessary flashbacks. I absolutely loved this book!! It kept me hooked and eager to find out more.
Another book that had an interesting beginning, which definitely built my curiosity--until it didn't anymore.  Early on I figured out what was going to happen and just slowly watched it unfold.  Of course I couldn't predict all the details, but even those additions didn't thrill me.
This book was exactly what I was looking for….a crazy domestic thriller that had me sitting on the edge of my seat!
The Woman Inside was a super disturbing book that was filled with characters that were extremely horrible and heavily flawed yet you will be drawn to their stories! The plot twists will require you to wear a seat belt! The twists and turns of this roller coaster will blow your mind!
Well that was something!  If you are looking for a disturbing, crazy, domestic thriller full of secrets and revenge then this is the read for you.

This book takes place on Long Island and has some very flawed and unlikable characters.  Rebecca and Paul's painful past drew them together, they thought they were the perfect match for each other.  Now twenty years later all their secrets have taken over their marriage.  Rebecca has a serious opiate addiction.  Paul is cheating on Rebecca and it's getting out of hand.  What happens next is a serious game of cat and mouse.  How well do you really know your spouse?

THE WOMAN INSIDE is a disturbing domestic thriller with a twisted plot and an ending you won't see coming.  You will get drawn in from the start, but make sure you buckle up on this wild and crazy rollercoaster ride.

*Many thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Woman Inside by E.G. Scott is one of those books where you have to try really hard to like the main characters. Rebecca and Paul have been married 20 years but suddenly there marriage seems to be full of strife. Rebeccas has become dependent on pain pills. Paul's business has gone belly up. The only positive thing in their life appears to be their dog, Duff. Rebecca discovers some secrets Paul has been keeping and things all roll downhill from there. The two detectives in the book provide some great comedy relief. Read and enjoy!
What an amazing thriller! Absolutely loved it; every roller coaster moment of it. This book was full of surprises, and there was no boring moment. I highly recommend it.
This an interesting, dark story but requires a suspension of belief at times. Paul and Rebecca have been married almost twenty years but their marriage seems to be built on a foundation of distrust. They seem to believe they love each other but they do not trust or confide in the other.
This alternates viewpoints between the two as well as other characters in the book. It includes drug abuse, adultery, revenge and secrets.
Definitely a twisted, macabre tale with twists you don’t by see coming  and a few you will as well as thought provoking.

Slightspoilers
Not for those who like happy endings !

Thank you to Net Gallry and Penguin Group Dutton for this ARC and the opportunity to give my honest opinion.
A wild, macabre funhouse of a thriller.

Drug addiction! Adultery! Multiple murders! Whee! The tone of this book is actually much lighter than the content would suggest, which is a welcome change from most of the thrillers I read. The book takes an unrepentant, almost gleeful approach to the misdeeds of its characters, keeping the tone on the flippant side of dark while propelling the reader commandingly.

The plot has a number of deeply improbable components to it, rendering this a story best read by not looking too closely or thinking too hard. And the twists, entertaining though they might be, are not difficult to guess. Dana, for example, was easy to peg from the start.

Regardless, this is an exceptionally fun read, and I loved the structure of the book.
This was an intriguing story. It did keep me guessing what was coming next, even though at times it was predictable or even a bit unbelievable.
Wow just wow!  This book was so flipping wrong but right up my alley. I loved this book! My favorite kind of book is a dark, twisted, crazy thriller and this sure was one. I am mad at myself for not reading this sooner.

Most of the focus is on Paul and Rebecca's 20 year marriage and how it started to unravel. Rebecca is quite the interesting character. She is a pharmaceutical representative that likes to sample her products. Paul is a former home builder that is now a real estate agent. These two are quite the couple, actually a match made in heaven. They had secrets from each other, secrets with other people and secrets with each other. I probably gasped a million times at the shocking things these two did. The character development was amazing and they were the couple I loved to hate!

This is such a twisted read that I can't say much more without giving things away. I never saw these twists coming and they were not just thrown in there to throw you off, they were well executed and shocking.

Everyone involved in the book is not really likable but who cares, it made them all the more interesting. I found myself holding my breath during the last chapter because it was just that crazy.

All I can say is if you have not read this, you need to! I am hoping E.G. Scott has something in the works because I can't wait to read another by this great duo. As a nurse I am praying that Euphellis is purely fictional. Fingers crossed.

Thank you so much to E.G. Scott, Penguin Group and Netgalley for this fantastic book!
The Woman Inside is a debut collaboration from E.G. Scott - a pseudonym for two NYC-based writers, one a publishing professional and one a screenwriter.

The Woman Inside is told from two viewpoints - Rebecca the wife and Paul the husband. They've been married for twenty years and each of them came to the marriage with secrets. And after twenty years, there are new secrets. Paul is having an affair and it looks like he's planning a new future for himself. Rebecca has a serious drug problem, but is not going to let Paul throw away their marriage. They're each capable of so much....

"I didn't realize what I'd done until many minutes later. Sometimes my anger is like that. The rage has been within me for so long....I've worked hard to keep it under wraps, especially from my husband."

Ahh, what follows is a lovely game of cat and mouse between the two. The reader is aware of what each player is thinking and scheming. There's also a back and forth narrative - giving us insight into the early days of the marriage.

But things takes a turn with an unexpected twist and the two are now forced to work together against a common threat. But the reader is still privy to that insider knowledge - and I could see what was coming. But I wasn't completely right - there was still another few surprises. You'll have to suspend belief on a few plot devices, but go with it.

Neither character is likeable and both are distinctly unreliable. The characters I did like were the police detectives - I found their back and forth banter quite entertaining. (Perhaps we'll see them in another book from this duo?)

If you're looking for domestic noir with some really nice twists, this is a really good bet. (But I'm not sure about that cover....)

The Woman Inside reads like a film - and TV rights to The Woman Inside have already been bought!
It's hard when a book turns out to be something completely different from the one you were expecting. I picked up The Woman Inside, the début novel from author E.G. Scott, thinking it was a domestic thriller featuring a husband and wife who commit crimes together, but that wasn’t at all what it turned out to be, and at first, I wasn't sure how I felt about that. The characters are extremely flawed and the plot is compelling, but it took me a little while to let go of my expectations and appreciate the story for what it actually was.

When the story opens, Paul and Rebecca have been married for almost two decades. As you might expect, their marriage wasn't always filled with sunshine and rainbows, but the reader is given the impression that the couple is relatively happy with their relationship. Rebecca is a sales associate for a large pharmaceutical company, and Paul is a successful real estate agent. At one time, he owned a very successful contracting company, but when the U.S. fell on hard times in 2008, his company went bankrupt, forcing him to seek out a new line of work. Selling rather than building houses isn't necessarily something he loves, but Paul seems grateful to have a job that helps keep Rebecca and himself in the lifestyle they've grown accustomed to.

It doesn't take long for the reader to realize things are not as smooth and peaceful as they appear on the surface. Rebecca has a drug problem, one she's trying hard to keep hidden from those around her, but unfortunately, she's not nearly as good at hiding her addiction as she thinks she is, and she ends up losing her job as a result of her habit. Her reaction to this loss isn't at all what I was expecting. She is extremely angry and hatches a rather hare-brained scheme to empty the bank account she and Paul share and leave the country without letting her husband know what has happened. Unfortunately for her, it turns out that Paul has been keeping his own set of secrets and has already taken most of their savings out of the bank.

Rebecca is quite fixated on what she views as Paul's great betrayal of her trust, and rather than looking for a new job or trying to get help for her drug addiction, she begins to spy on Paul, determined to find out what he's hiding from her, but the deeper she digs into his personal life, the more questions she has. Is Paul planning to leave her for another woman, or could his plans be far more sinister than Rebecca can imagine?

The story is told from multiple points of view, but we spend the majority of our time with Rebecca and Paul. We learn about the early days of their marriage and discover what led them to the crisis point they are currently experiencing. Neither of these characters is particularly likable, and yet I found myself strangely drawn to them in spite of their huge flaws. It was obvious they loved each other deeply, but something about that love gave me an uneasy feeling. These are people who lie to each other practically all the time in both large and small ways, and seem to see nothing wrong with their behavior. Both of them have suffered deep traumas, and a part of me wondered if either of them would ever be able to find healing.

You're probably wondering about the other characters we encounter in this story, but I'll leave you to find out about them on your own. Revealing their identities would serve only to spoil some key elements of the plot, so I'll just say that each of the other narrators offers a unique perspective on the relationship between Rebecca and Paul, and I enjoyed learning what they knew about the couple.

I usually read these kinds of books when I'm in the mood for something thrilling and fun, and if that's what you're looking for, you might hesitate to pick this up. The Woman Inside is a dark and gritty picture of an imploding marriage, and while I did enjoy it, I came away from it with a feeling of deep sadness. It's a page-turner for sure, but it's weightier than a lot of books that are classified in that way.

E.G. Scott is an author I'll definitely be keeping my eye on in the coming years. I've never read anything quite like this, and I'm intrigued to see what the author will come up with next.

Buy it at: Amazon/Apple Books/Barnes & Noble/Kobo
Visit our Amazon Storefront
All of these post-post-post-Gone Girl titles, post-post-The Girl On the Train (should they just be called post-The Woman In the Window now?) really start to blur together and none of them particularly try anything new. Maybe I'm feeling particularly nihilistic on this gloomy Monday morning, but the women in this one suck, the men in this one suck- the only redeeming character is the dog, and I can't even REMEMBER if there was a dog in this one or if I'm confusing it with literally any of the other "literary" "thrillers" I've read recently.
Now THIS is what I have been waiting for!! If you are a thriller fan then go to your nearest bookstore and get yourself a copy! There were so many aspects of this one that I enjoyed. I honestly did not want to put it down because I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Rebecca and Paul seem to be the perfect married couple that has it all together. They have a beautiful home on Long Island and great careers - but behind the scenes they both have secrets. Rebecca has an opioid addiction that has started to take over her life and Paul has lost his job and started having an affair with another woman. Their lives begin to unravel at the seams leading them down a dangerous path.

With Rebecca's addiction, E.G. Scott did a wonderful job of bringing attention to the opioid epidemic that is tearing through the United States. It gave the reader a first hand view at how addiction can take over your life and the destruction that will be left in its wake.

The Woman Inside is a domestic thriller filled with untrustworthy characters who seem willing to do anything to get their way. And that ending...I thought I had it all figured out but I was wrong.
The Woman Inside is an intense thriller about secrets, revenge, and murder that keeps the reader engaged right until the bitter end!
Told from the viewpoint of a drug-addicted bitter wife and her husband, a story of infidelity, drug addiction, and murder is unraveled.  From the outside, Paul and Rebecca may seem like an ordinary and happy couple, but once Paul's mistress begins staking him, their picture-perfect life begins to fall apart.
Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good thriller!

*I received an advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
What a wild thriller! Full of deeply disturbed characters that bring new meaning to the words HOT MESS!

A book chocked full of disturbed people doing despicable things! Adultery, addiction, dishonesty, lying, stealing,stalking.... seriously, what’s not to love? If you are someone who needs to like or relate to the characters in your books this probably isn’t the one for you, BUT if you like to watch things fall apart and people self-destruct this is thriller perfection! It’s kind of like reality television, it’s not like you think these people are upstanding citizens doing amazing things, but they are entertaining people that are just a little south of crazy and you can’t wait to see what they do next!

Rebecca and Paul have been happily married (or so they think) for 20 years... but now Paul is having an affair and Rebecca has a serious opioid addiction, and that’s just the beginning.... these two truly deserve each other they are both extremely selfish, self-absorbed, and manipulative... however when Paul breaks things off with his mistress Sheila, this couple may have met their match... sheila is definitely the type of woman that will boil your rabbit! Yikes just thinking about all the nonsense these characters got up to still makes me cringe a little, but in a good way! This book was just pure madness!

Along with these crazy characters came some pretty wild twists and turns... The story is told from multiple perspectives and from the then and now... my opinions of these characters changed at a rapid rate, I had no idea who was telling the truth or if anyone was ever telling the truth... The ending to the story was so fitting, although somebody really got away with....

A crazy thriller, characters you will love to hate, and enough twist and turns to satisfy any thriller lover! Absolutely recommend!

🎧🎧🎧 this audiobook was narrated by a full cast giving each character their own unique voice...this really enhanced the reading experience!

🎵🎵🎵 song running through my head! This song needs no explanation...

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow
And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very very
Mad world, mad world
Children waiting for the day, they feel good
Happy birthday, happy birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher,…

*** Big thanks to Dutton for my copy of this book ***
Readers who are looking for a twisty, domestic suspense should look no farther than this first book from E.G. Scott. Paul and Rebecca have what seems to be a wonderful marriage, but after 20 years that perfection may only be skin deep. Both have their secrets and those secrets are slowly chipping away at their relationship. Then a sudden moment of violence sets them on a tailspin that seems sure to doom their marriage (among other things)!

I found this book to be quite difficult to put down. It's told from multiple perspectives and I love how this created a layered tale that I felt like I got to slowly unfold. It also meant I was always questioning what the narrator of the moment was telling me. Were they all telling the truth? Or lying? I honestly couldn't tell. The ultimate twist near the end of the story was probably not the most exciting one I've come upon in a thriller, but it also didn't feel unnatural so in the end I found the story fairly satisfying. I will be recommending this book and looking forward to more from Scott. Readers who enjoy the works of Sarah Pinborough and Greer Hendricks might want to give this one a try.

Thanks to Penguin Group Dutton for this ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
An entertaining thriller, with some highly unlikeable (in a good way) characters.  Sticks to the basic mystery/thriller storyline we have become used to, with a unique twist at the end.
Rebecca and Paul have outlived the usefulness of their marriage, and things unravel from there.  I love mystery novels, so I was fairly confident I would enjoy this.  And I did.  But it is missing that little something that makes it standout.
Nevertheless, The Woman Inside will keep you reading.
At first, I thought this would read much like other marriage suspense novels, but it turned out to be a wonderful adventurous read! The twist in the end made it worth while. If you read “As Long As We Both Shall Live” recently and liked it, you’ll love this one. Thanks Dutton books for my copy!