The Algonquin Reader: Fall 2018

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I appreciate this download from #AlgonquinBooks #NetGalley

This was a quick little synopsis of some upcoming reads and in this case, the book that catches my eye is #TheCurrent by #TimJohnston I have never read his books before, but this issue has intrigued me and the excerpt from his upcoming (now released book has encouraged me to reconsider this. I will be looking for his books in the future.
Also, #TheMuseumOfModernLove by #HeatherRose was interesting as well. This wasn't as typical a pick for my taste but I liked it.

Thank you.
Anthologies and snippets to whet your appetite for the full books. Aren't these something that any real reader would love? This series is new to me but I'll be sure to look for more in the future.
I love The Algonquin Reader!  I really enjoy reading the excerpts and getting a feel for new books before committing to them.  Thanks for the chance to preview great books by great authors!
This is a fantastic sampler of books that are being published by Algonquin.  Included is an excerpt from new book by B. A. Shapiro whose new novel is about post Impressionist Art, the Barnes Foundation and Paris in the 1920s.  I am quite excited about this one as I have been a frequent visitor to Philadelphia's Barnes Foundation and have taken a class on Contemporary Art.

There is another fictional story set in the world of art, Heather Rose's The Museum of Modern Love.  This is about the artist Marina Abramovic.

There is also Mesha Maren's debut novel which takes place in West Virginia.  It is a book which explores the meaning of home.  The novel was written when the author lived in a one-room cabin in the state.

Also included are a short story collection by D. Wystan Owen and books by Gina Wohlsdorf and Tim Johnston.  (Ms. Wohlsdorf's novel, Blood Highway is a thriller while Tim Johnston is a crime story.)

Of note is that the sampler includes essays with the authors.  These may serve to whet your appetite for reading their works even more.

So...lots of good suggestions for reading as we move toward fall's shorter days.

Thanks for this sampler NetGalley and the publisher.
The Algonquin Reader Fall 2018 carries original essays by their fiction writers and excerpts from their forthcoming books. The ones that had me hooked are The Collector's Apprentice by BA Shapiro, Sugar Run by Mesha Maren and Blood Highway by Gina Wohlsdorf.

The Collector’s Apprentice seems promising for any Post Impressionist art lover. Set in the 1920s, mixed with love and betrayal the excerpt had me hooked.

In Sugar Run, the main protagonist is going back home after eighteen years post her stint in prison. It’s her exploration into the place she once called home. Does it feel the same to go back? Or even if the surroundings are familiar everything else is not. We need to read the book to know more.

Blood Highway feels like a dystopian novel. A thriller at the end of the world.

There were others on the list which seem equally promising and have been promoted widely on Algonquin's Instagram being Other People's Love Affairs: Stories by D. Wystan Owen, The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose and The Current by Tim Johnston. While I would pick up Other People’s Love Affairs sometime in the future. The other two I’m not so sure of.
Great to see the essays paired with novel excerpts. Easy to preview a large range of upcoming titles to see which ones are a good fit for my reviews. Thanks!
Nothing gets me more excited that previews on books that are soon to be published, so I could'nt resist this collection. Although I have read and enjoyed an earlier edition of The Algonquin Reader, I found that none of the essays in this particular collection really intrigued me. But that is not to say I won't be on the lookout for the next Algonquin Reader.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I truly appreciate it!
My favorite aspect of the Algonquin Reader is the essays by the authors. An excerpt of the actual book is lovely, but the way an author writes about that book has a visceral impact on me. I have a weak spot for beautifully constructed sentences, especially those that convey the very personal process of birthing a book. Including the author essays is nothing less than genius, and doing so put several books (and authors!) on my radar that previously hadn't been.
I have read and enjoyed an earlier edition of The Algonquin Reader, but none of the essays in this particular collection interested me, unfortunately.
This is a great preview of upcoming books. I also enjoyed tbe essays written by the authors. I'm excited to read many of tne books mentioned.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
I adore samplers and “The Algonquin Reader Fall 2018” is a superior example, with a sneak peek at Algonquin’s forthcoming autumn fiction. You’ll learn the inspiration behind each of the six books through original author essays, followed by a short preview of each novel. Featured books are:

The Collector's Apprentice by B. A. Shapiro
Sugar Run by Mesha Maren
Other People's Love Affairs: Stories by D. Wystan Owen
The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose
Blood Highway by Gina Wohlsdorf
The Current by Tim Johnston

Highly recommended!

Pub Date 31 Jul 2018

Thanks to Algonquin Books and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are fully mine.

#TheAlgonquinReader #NetGalley
I love previews of upcoming books. This one had an interesting format: each excerpt is preceded by an essay written the author. It's a nice way to get each author's point of view. I do with there was a clickable table of contents to make it easier to navigate the Reader.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
I have been looking forward to The Current and Sugar Run so I was thrilled when I was able to get a sneak peek of the novels. Thank you for putting together these excerpts and sharing them with the world!