Cover Image: Fall 2018 Debut Fiction Sampler

Fall 2018 Debut Fiction Sampler

Fantastic batch of excerpts! My Sister, The Serial Killer is a sure stand out - my favorite of the bunch. The Adults is also an intriguing novel. Will definitely be adding several to my TBR. Highly recommended
Even though this sampler was put out in 2018, I had never read or even heard of most of these books. I love these samplers because I can read little bits of a lot of books and decide which ones I want to add to my TBR list.
I find these sampler's so helpful to assist me in determining what upcoming books I want to read and I anticipate receiving them when they become available.
I never have anything bad to say about these books because it gives you a sneak peek into upcoming releases. There is always a good mix of authors being featured along with release dates. Being able to read excepts definitely gives it another element because there have been books I wasn't sure about buying and then having those few chapters ended up selling me on the book.

I love these because most of the time I discover a book coming out that I didn't know about at first or some hidden gems. It's a great resource to keep you updated on upcoming books.
Some of the book I read, some I did not. Nice way to read a bit about books to help you decide if you want to put it on your reading list or not. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of the book in return for my honest thoughts.
Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the chance to read these excerpts!

I was obsessed with the cover and concept of MY SISTER, THE SERIAL KILLER by Oyinkan Braithwaite from the moment I saw it, and I actually have read this book. The excerpt gives you a good idea of what to expect, with the serial killer sister and our oddly accepting narrator, and the hints of dark humor like when Ayoola almost lets someone else onto the elevator while they're trying to smuggle a body out.

SIGHT by Jessie Greengrass is a dual timeline story, about scientists discovering X-rays and a present-day narrator studying their papers. It seems like this will be a story that helps reclaim the contributions of women to science, hidden in the role of "scientist's wife."

THE ADULTS starts out with a 911 call that reminded me of BIG LITTLE LIES. I was very skeptical of Matt and Alex's relationship -- why would you date someone you know has a terrible work ethic? (maybe that says too much about me) -- but then when we went to the Claire and Patrick pairing, with Patrick being weirdly secretive about workouts, I realized everyone was a complete disaster but this might be fun schadenfreude. Particularly because I'm not in my late 30s and these people make me feel like I have my life really together!

THE WATER CURE by Sophie Mackintosh weirded me out. Plural first-person present about how they're too busy fighting to notice their dad dying is not a great way to sell me on a story.

THE KENNEDY DEBUTANTE by Kerri Maher is historical fiction based on JFK's sister and her debut in London as the daughter of the US Ambassador to England. For whatever reason, fictionalized stories of real people make me uncomfortable so I will probably skip this. (Also, I made the mistake of reading her Wikipedia page and feeling sad.)

TELL ME YOU'RE MINE by Elisabeth Noreback seems like a psychological thriller of some kind. Stella did something very bad twenty years ago and now Isabelle, who was someone involved and has now grown into an adult, is out for revenge. I think there is a dead child involved. In any case, this is completely not my cup of tea.

WE CAST A SHADOW by Maurice Carlos Ruffin is...I think supposed to be a satire? Our disastrous law firm costume party is certainly very over the top, with the nameless narrator competing for a promotion, and trying to find the right costume to not scare the white people and maybe even play into their stereotypes, which is how he drunkenly dons a loincloth and dances around wildly. We also meet his white wife Penny, and son Nigel who has a fairy-tale-like birthmark on his face that grows and darkens to make his biracial heritage more obvious. Everything seemed really over the top and I think it *is* supposed to make you uncomfortable?

ONE DAY IN DECEMBER by Josie Silver did not endear itself to me with its list of all the horribly awkward dates the heroine has endured, I have seen this cliche so many times I am very tired of it. And then it turns out she's completely into the same guy her friend is dating, and I see this is melodrama rather than romance, which is not my style.

WAYS TO HIDE IN WINTER by Sarah St Vincent really set me on edge. The narrator's actions seemed disjointed and creeped me out. I'm also weirded out by how she has never met an Eastern European person before and disappointed that she literally thinks of him as "the foreigner." This is not a person for whom I enjoyed spending time in their head.

Ultimately this was a mixed bag for me, as so many of these grab-bag excerpts are! I did enjoy MY SISTER THE SERIAL KILLER already, and I hadn't heard of THE ADULTS so I'm excited to get to read what promises to be an enjoyably hot mess (the characters, not the book).
It was good to discover some new books that I didn’t know about. I added many more books to my to be read pile
I loved this sampler collection of 2018 fiction books.

I most especially enjoyed One Day in December. Before picking this up I wouldn’t have heard of it.

I highly recommend this sampler.
I received a complimentary review copy of the Fall 2018 Debut Fiction Sampler from NetGalley.

This sampler includes extended previews of 9 novels. I really enjoyed being able to preview enough of the book to know whether I'd be interested enough to read the whole thing. Each excerpt starts with a page showing the book cover, and the publication date is listed on the copyright page.
My Sister the Serial Killer is the stand-out excerpt from this collection. Its pacing immediately drags you in and makes you want more. It's funny, dark, and deeply insightful on the complexities of the sister dynamic. It's so good I ended up purchasing the novel - highly recommend!
There are some great reads in this sampler.   I have already read one of them and plan to read at least a couple of them.
Fantastic as always! Sorry I forgot to rate this earlier, but I am still working off the list and enjoying may of the titles!. Keep them coming! Thanks!
Penguin Random House has such a great selection. I plan on using this sampler as a trampoline to tackle my TBR pile. I enjoy a wide variety of genres, and love that this sampler covers a range of selections. I am looking forward to checking out My Sister, the Serial Killer and I already know I loved Josie Silver's We Met in December.
Thank you for this sampler! Many of these books look interesting and I've put several of these novels on my tbr/interest list.
I believe these samplers would be wonderful to offer to book clubs--gives debut authors exposure to readers and opens up possible title choices to dedicated reader. I also appreciated the opportunity to preview My Sister, The Serial Killer, which has made quite a splash in the past year.
Fantastic sampler! A great way to get started on NetGalley, and a great way to pick out my next reads! I was particularly drawn to The Water Cure and My Sister, The Serial Killer. I have already purchased We Cast A Shadow.
I really appreciate having a sampler for debut authors who I likely wouldn't have heard of otherwise. My Sister, The Serial Killer has such an interesting premise and has me on the edge of my seat.
Excellent sampler of everything to come in the fall. It certainly helped me make my pre-list of Fall 2018 books for the newspaper where I work.
I love these sampler books because they let me try new authors who I would not otherwise read.  In this sampler, I was most looking forward to My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite and The Kennedy Debutante by Kerri Mather.  I have already read the entire My Sister, the Serial Killer and did not like it as much as I hoped I would from the sample I read, but without the sample I would never have read it all.
This sampler of debut fiction for Fall 2018 was easy to navigate with titles clearly displayed at the beginning. There was a nice mix on here of crime, thriller, women's fiction, and even a historical novel. I added five of the titles to my TBR straight away! Samplers are a great way of widening your reading and there are at least two of the five that sparked my interest I wouldn't have looked at before.