Ghost Busting Mystery

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Feb 2019

Ghost Busting Mystery by Daisy Pettles is the 1st book in the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency series, and my first book by this author.  This book was hilarious, I laughed out loud many times.  Ruby Jane and Veenie are senior women who work as private eyes, under a lazy licensed private eye.  When a local farmer reports seeing big butt ghosts in the apple orchard, they accept the job. If you feel like laughing, give this book a try, you won't be disappointed.  Can't wait to read the next book in the series.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
A bunch of seniors rules the roost with this cozy mystery, they fun quirky, hilarious and darn interesting to hang out with. These investigators in training are a savvy, sassy and downright upbeat lot. Oh my, Ruby-Jane and two of the most amusing and titillating sleuths I have ever come upon on, they are a crack up duo, I love this book, well written with a great storyline, an absolute divine read.
The Ghost Busting Mystery book took me to the days I spent watching scooby doo on the tv. I loved the quirky mysteries that the gang would get into.  This book took me to that quirky place where you get a touch of humor and a touch of mystery.  RJ and Vinnie a pair of elderly ladies who work for Harry's Hoosier detective agency..  They take cases from anywhere they get them from solving a ghost mystery to locating a missing dog who loves beer.  Most mysteries have a serious side to them where you are trying to figure out who done it.  I laughed hard at times reading what the two ladies did or how the people who they where helping acted.  This book will tickle your funny bone..  It is the best lighthearted reading I have done in a long time.  If you like a quirky mystery and you like to laugh this book is for you.

Daisy Pettles thank you for writing this book the only critique I have is that it was too short.  I would of loved to have a little more background on RJ and Vinnie.  You have a great talent of using humor into your stories it is the best I have seen of the books I have read so far.  Your visualization of the town and its description made me feel like I was there standing on the side line listening to the conversations between RJ and Vinnie had when they met with perspective clients it always seemed like a gang of people where around..  I felt like i was a part of the community..  Who doesn't love homemade pie if you are not craving it by the end of the book you are missing out.  Everybody has these quirky stories told by their families about the good old days where certain members of your family did certain things.  Twisting these tails into a book and bringing them to life takes a lot of talent and you did a good job bringing the town of Knobby Waters to life..  Those old porch stories can sure give you great fodder for some tall tales.
Thank You to NetGalley and Hot Pants Press LLC publishing  for allowing me to read the book for free for an honest review.
Wonderful funny cozy! This book has a good plot and mystery but the real joy is in the characters, Ruby Jane and Veenie. They are absolutely delightful seniors that are "detectives." Be careful of any beverages while reading as you will probably burst out laughing at their antics. I cannot wait to read the next story in this series and look forward to many moreI received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
This is a humorous cozy mystery about two senior sleuths that have been lifelong friends. It is a pretty fast-paced book, I read the book in one day. The friends-Ruby Jane (R.J.) and Veenie- are a hilarious two-some with very different personalities. Veenie, the quirkier of the two ladies, gets herself in a few situations will have you laughing out loud. One scene that really got me laughing was when they are going to investigate the mansion for the ghosts. Another scene I found funny is when the ladies are looking for the missing dachshund Puddles. I have a senior dachshund of my own so I really related how the elderly fur baby is described. There is a lot of deception being spun on all around the ladies this keeps them guessing what is going on. This deceptions also keeps the readers engaged and guessing whodunit too. I recommend this book to cozy mystery lovers and fans of senior protagonists.

I voluntarily agreed to read a copy of this book supplied by NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own and in no way have been influenced.
Very amusing and cozy story, a little funny in itself, but the characters are hilarious. Every description is short and efficient, and most of them are very funny.
“She pointed to a wall sign that read ‘This reading room is for the enjoyment of all. Please be quiet and courteous.’

Veenie stuck her false teeth out at the woman.

‘Well, I never …’

Veenie said, ‘Well maybe you ought to. You might feel better if you did.’

Veenie Groens is the confrontational half of a pair of old ladies who are trying to earn their pay at the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency, owned by Harry Shades.

This is a light romp through a story full of characters with quirky names and the kind of relationships that everyone has to everyone else, whether they like it or not, in a small midwestern town like Knobby Waters, Indiana.

When local farmer Dode Schneider contacts them, freaked out about ghosts he’s seen on his farm, the ladies insist on investigating. His place is next door to an empty old mansion, of course. What would a ghost story be without one? And of course, there’s the necessary old skeleton.

RJ (Ruby Jane) Waskom narrates. She’s Veenie’s life-long friend and partner in crime-solving. It’s a kind of hillbilly romp, with names like Queet Hudsucker, the librarian who knows where the bodies are buried, metaphorically speaking.

There’s a flashy, fortune-teller, Kandy Huggins, who’s staying at the Moon Glo Motor Lodge, which may or may not still have Magic Finger beds. Our intrepid detective Harry Shades is anxious to find out, of course, and so the story goes.

I’ll share a few more quotes to give you an idea of the style. On a farm they visit, they meet another colourful pair.

“Peepaw Horton was an energetic fellow, and Ma loved her chickens. Together they’d fashioned replicas of the White House, the Supreme Court, and the Senate building out of scrap lumber. The buildings were connected with two-by-fours and chicken wire catwalks. It wasn’t a chicken house so much as it was an entire Chickenlandia.”

The local constabulary is equally unique.

“Devon Hattabaugh, the junior officer in training, sprung out of the car. He hunched down behind the open door, his pistol drawn. He wasn’t wearing a cop hat. He was wearing his customary beret, aviator sunglasses, and a tie-dyed T-shirt with a pair of denim knee-knocker shorts. His muttonchop sideburns were bushed out like squirrel tails. He was wearing ankle boots and athletic socks. ‘Hit the ground!’ he squeaked. ‘Law enforcement! Hit the ground!’

People who enjoy a corny diet will probably eat this up and those to follow.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hot Pants Press LLC for the preview copy from which I’ve quoted.
I wasn’t sure what to expect with this fun Ghost Busting Mystery but I am so glad I gave it a try! It was super entertaining and a quick read, I read it in one day! I will for sure be following this detective series! I loved the old lady humor and story line. The characters reminded me many times of how wacky and ornery my grandma used to be. This was exactly what I needed after a few rough days over the holidays.
Thank you to Hot Pants Press, IBPA and NetGalley for this e-copy in exchange for my honest review. My opinions are my own.
This will be featured on my blog Friday December 28, 2018.
www.colecampfireblog.com
LanaLCole@yahoo.com
Ghost Busting Mystery (Shady Hoosier Detective Agency, #1) by Daisy Pettles is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. Oh my gosh this book is hilarious! It has the most unique characters and world building and it is all zany! A very Hoosier town where the main characters are not any smarter than the crooks! I giggled and snorted my way through this book! I was crying and I laughed so hard. My cheeks ached from smiling! It was a pleasant surprise! A couple of crazy senior (60's and 70's) women are PIs. They live in a small, very rural area in Indiana. One of the elderly men who isn't right in the head since he was run over by the ice plow, is seeing ghosts or aliens in the abandoned mansion. Then the story gets wild! It is a laugh a minute! Lots of mysteries mixed with more mysteries! I am definitely going to follow this author's work!
If you like laugh out loud cozy mysteries this book is for you! Do not read this book in public because you might make a spectacle out of yourself when reacting to this engaging and funny book. there are two more books coming out and I can't wait.
Ruby Jane and Veenie are senior sleuths working in a detective agency.  When the Sheriff gets reports of ghosts in the apple trees of an abandoned house, he gives the case to them.  The man reporting it is not all there and the Sheriff is not into ghost busting.  He'll get involved before it's all over, though.

Hot Pants Press and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published and you can grab a copy now.

This story is half silly and half serious.  It's a light read with crime going around RJ and Veenie and it takes some effort to sort out what the ghosts are, who is scamming whom, and where the treasure might be hidden.

You see, the house has been vacant for almost a hundred years and it's rumored the man who built it hid the bank's gold there when he left town.  What they find is a dead body.  And the Sheriff has no choice but to join the investigation.

This is a light read but it sure was a bunch of fun.  If you like a laugh with your mystery, you'll like this book.
This book is hilarious...I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while. The shenanigans these two ladies go through to bust a "ghost" is over the top.  Book two is definitely on my to read list.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was a fun and funny book.  I don't llike paranormal books but it wasn't paranormal.  It was a great book.
While this was an entertaining story it didn't really have the ear markings of a true cozy. The deceased had been dead for many, many years and no one else died. There isn't a romance angle and no one was really in dire straights. The two main characters are a cute cross between a couple of Golden Girls and Thelma & Louise. A quick easy read but not what I would consider a cozy mystery.
I moved to Indiana for my son, I stayed for the humor. Seriously. Midwesterners, Hoosiers particularly, are some of the funniest people I ever have met! It is that side-splitting, tongue-in-cheek humor that you will discover in the Ghost Busting Mystery: Book 1 of the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency series by Daisy Pettles, aka Vicky Phillips.

A fellow blogger suggested that I read Ghost Busting Mystery  since I'm always on the hunt for good Midwestern books and authors. I was dubious based on the title and, okay, the description itself. Boy, was I ever glad that I read the book anyway! This is one of my Top Ten Books of 2018 and one of the funniest books I ever have read! As in, EVER!
Ruby Jane, known as RJ to all who know her, and her best friend for life, Veenie, are natural born snoops. They work part-time at the Shades Detective Agency in an extremely small town in Southern Indiana called Knobby Waters.  What it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in colorful characters who reside there. RJ and Veenie are on the far side of "elderly," although that's not even a word that I ever would use to describe them. They like to snoop for Shades in order to get "twinkie money" that they use for, yes twinkies, emergency pie runs and "mystery meat" sandwiches at the local bar. They have agreed to take the case of the glowing bottomed ghosts hanging out in their neighbor's orchard.

The author creates a cast of characters, including a drunk wiener dog, and a depiction of rural Indiana, chicken houses resembling the Senate building, so brilliantly and perfectly that I swear I have been there and met these folks. They will have you laughing out loud before you've finished the first chapter. Yes, there is a very fine plot/mystery but it is the humor, wit and sarcasm that will keep you glued to the pages of this comedy. It's like Garrison Keillor meets Mel Brooks: folksy, irreverent, hilarity with a whole lot of Midwestern charm.

If you don't read one other book before this year ends, you have to read Ghost Busting Mystery. I promise that RJ and Veenie will make glad that you did. If you need me I will be down in southern Indiana looking for the Pie Hut for emergency pie runs!

Loads of thanks to #Netgalley, @DaisyPettles, and #HotPantsPress,LLC for my copy of this comedic tale!
What a cute mystery.  Loved the plot and the feisty and quirky characters.  I look forward to reading more books in this series.  I recommend to fans of mysteries.  Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my digital arc this is my unbiased review.
When Dode comes around complaining to the sheriff that he sees ghosts across from his place, the sheriff quickly dumps it onto Ruby, who happens to be in the office. Ruby and her best friend Vennie, are senior citizens who are P.I.s in training. This is the first book in the series, and it is quite fun. A lot of quirky characters and a lot of circumstances that definitely give a person pause. Set in Indiana, but I kept feeling like it was more in the south. Small town, so everyone knows everyone and their business. That would get old . Overall, I enjoyed the story and the characters and look forward to the next in the series.
A fun book.  Two old trainee PI women investigate ghosts at a 'mansion' close to a small town, where everyone knows everyone's business.  Lots of happenings along the way and the book introduces some amazing elderly people.  I laughed aloud at some of the happenings.

Looking forward to more please.
Ghost Busting Mystery by Daisy Pettles is the first book in the cozy Shady Hoosier Detective Agency mystery series. This one is for the fans of the over the top humorous cozies that keep a reader laughing from start to finish.

Our two main characters of Ghost Busting Mystery are a couple of “elderly” ladies, Ruby Jane Waskom and Veenie Goens. Best friends all their lives the pair lean on each other with neither being rich and still needing to work to support themselves they have taken on working at the Shady Hoosier Detective Agency, what better job to put to use their nosy natures.

Things have been a bit slow at the agency and the ladies know they need to take on any case that comes their way. So from anything like searching for a blind missing wiener dog, mysterious break ins at the local shop or an abandoned mansion that is haunted by ghosts with big butts Ruby Jane and Veenie will be off to the rescue.

Being from Indiana myself I just had to give this little cozy a try and I’m certainly glad I did. Sure, it could use a little polishing up a large publisher would bring but it’s still in excellent shape for a small one and the story is one that is non-stop laughs. Having spent plenty of time in southern Indiana I can honestly say there can be some pretty colorful characters in these areas and while Knobby Waters is fictional many of the other towns mentioned aren’t and I’ve been to a few. I could easily picture all of the antics and think those that enjoy a huge helping of quirkiness will love this book.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
law-enforcement, laugh-out-loud, cozy-mystery, crooks, verbal-humor, situational-humor, seniors

There's a perfectly good plot here, but the best thing is the absolutely hilarious humor! And the characters, of course. The two seniors have perfectly fine minds, but one is pretty much blind as a bat and the other is more stubborn than a mule. Together they investigate some mighty odd goings on in their small township, keep running afoul of their friend who is the local law, and even get mixed up with a Fed who used to live there. Stay away from beverages while reading this great book! It's just what I needed when I would come home from working second shift in the ER!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Hot Pants Press, LLC via NetGalley.