Love at the Northern Lights

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Dec 2018

A lovely story which brought Norway to life for me. I liked the characters and getting to know them was good.  Definitely, more than one romantic story in this book.
#loveatthenorthernlights #netgalley

Beautiful Norwegian backdrop, a runaway bride looking for her long lost mother, a grieving husband/father and a handsome Viking, not too dissimilar to Thor, what’s not to love about this book?
A joyful romp through the Norwegian countryside, with some serious issues thrown in, I throughly enjoyed this easy to read story. It was a real holiday pick me up!
Unfortunately, while my initial impression of the book was that it was very light-hearted, feel-good stuff, it did not stand up to further scrutiny. Though marketed as a romance novel, the romance was not convincing, and most of the story was centred around Frankie reuniting with her mom and everything being tied up in a neat little bow with minimal angst that you would expect from a reunion after 29 years. The romance could have actually been removed and you'd have most of the story still intact.
‘Climbing out the window in her dress and tiara wasn’t exactly how Frankie imagined her wedding day…’

Runaway bride Frankie Ashford hops a plane to Norway with one goal in mind - find her estranged mother and make peace with the past. But when a slip on the ice in Oslo lands her directly in Jonas Thorsen’s viking-strong arms, her single-minded focus drifts away in the winter winds.

When it comes to romance Jonas knows that anything he and Frankie share has an expiration date - the British heiress has a life to return to in London that’s a world away from his own. But family is everything to Jonas and, as the one man who can help Frankie find the answers she’s seeking, he’ll do whatever it takes to help her reunite with her mother.

Now, as Christmas draws closer and the northern lights work their magic Frankie and Jonas will have to make a choice...play it safe or risk heartbreak to take a chance on love.

This is not just one love story, but two.  No more spoilers from me.  Really enjoyed this book and shall definitely be getting more from this author.  4.5*
A fabulously festive read which I really enjoyed. I loved the setting of this book and now really want to visit Norway to see the Northern Lights. A story of new beginnings, adventure, friendship, forgiveness and second chances. I liked all of the characters in the book and empathised with them from the start.

Delightful - uplifting and heartfelt. I recommend this book. Perfect for a cosy afternoon on the sofa by the fire with a lovely hot chocolate.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have to say, this was another book I was surprised with. Whilst the blurb talks about the romance between Frankie and Jonas, what really dominated the book was a family love and bond between mother and daughter and that surprised me. We also witnessed the harsh relationship between Frankie and her Grandma, who appeared to be a force to be reckoned with.

I also enjoyed how this was a book about finding yourself. Frankie knew in her heart that it wasn’t right to get married to Rolo and decided to take action, no matter of the consequences. Frankie is from a wealthy home and has never wanted for anything, apart from her mother who left when she was a baby. So having left her wedding, she heads to Oslo, the last known location of her mother and hopes she can find her to find out the truth once and for all.

I have to say I did enjoy how we followed Frankie finding herself. She was a lovely and kind character, one you could picture being your own friend. The other characters in the book where also full of spirit and once again I enjoyed seeing it from Jonas frame of mind also.

Frankie stumbled across Jonas whilst asleep at a cafe in Oslo and soon discovered he knows her mother. It was lovely to see their relationship develop even though they both had reservations and negative thoughts as to what would work, you could picture it happening in real life. Jonas wasn’t from a wealthy background and whilst he wasn’t ashamed of where he came from he didn’t think he was enough for Frankie.

The scenery in this book has made me feel as though I have witnessed the Northern Lights myself and I am really hoping I can go visit them and Norway very soon, it sounds amazing.

I have to say this is another perfect book for reading in the winter months. Whilst it does feature Christmas, its not solely around that time of year so can be enjoyed anytime but if you enjoy this genre, Women’s fiction and Romcom then this is for you. The characters, scenery and the whole book will have you enhanced.

I also have to say that I loved this quote in the book, it really sat well with me and made me think, in a good way.
‘…You can’t spend your life regretting the past. It would be such a waste. What you need to do now is grab today and look forward to tomorrow’
Love at the Northern Lights – Darcie Boleyn
I really wasn’t sure where this book was going when Frankie runs out of her wedding and escapes from her overbearing grandmother and unsuitable fiancé...

Once I’d got past the initial chapter (which makes sense now but seemed very random at the time) and settled into Frankie running away, it became a fun and absorbing read. Don’t want to give any spoilers but I loved her time at the Northern Lights and the associated characters, particularly the good looking guide!!

4* A fun read that would be great with a big mug of hot chocolate and an armchair next to a warm fire!!
Love at the Northern Lights
Author: Darcie Boleyn
Publisher: Canelo Escape
Page count: 279pp
Release date: 17 Sept. 2018
Reviewer: Theresa Derwin

Frankie - or Frances - is trussed up like a Christmas turkey in a designer wedding dress, about to marry her fiancé Rolo at his stately home, when her doubts are questioned by her dad, who tells her if she doesn’t love Rolo, just go.
For years, she has done everything her rich, demanding grandmother Helen wants of her, but at the last minute she runs, grabs a taxi, and is soon sitting at an airport cafe in summer clothes, in the middle of November, with nowhere to go.
It is then she takes out a postcard her mother Freya sent to her when Frankie was eighteen.
Freya left her husband (Hugo - Frankie’s Dad) and Frankie when Frankie was still a young child, leaving the grandmother to choose Frankie ‘suitable’ jobs and husband. Her job pays well but it doesn’t excite her. She’d dreamed, instead, of being a fashion designer.
Looking at the postcard of the northern lights, “Frankie knew where she was going. She would head to Norway and try to find her mother.”
When she arrives, gets partly settled and has some warm clothing, she meets Jonas, a drop-dead gorgeous Thor-alike; a tall, broad, golden - long-haired with beard - blonde man who is not only polite and thoughtful, but sets a flame flickering in her heart and loins.
He’s a stranger, soon to become a friend who just happens to be a photographer displaying work in her mum, Freya’s, gallery.
‘Love at the Northern Lights’ is a beautiful journey of discovery set in a stunning place, as Frankie finally experiences “the freedom from being the woman others had expected her to be, when all she had ever wanted was to know herself.”
There is of course romance, as can be expected but not only one, and there is comedy, a great plot and also the sheer joy of experiencing Norway, as narrated by Boleyn. I’d be very if the author hadn’t visited the region or met huskies, reindeer and seen the aurora borealis judging by her descriptions. She completely captures this winter wonderland for the reader and it’s a very heartwarming book.
Romance readers will not be disappointed!
I have to say when I read the blurb of this book I thought it was going to be a winner, a guy described as a Viking, the northern lights, a Christmas setting and some family drama, with of course a dollop of romance.

It started off well with Frankie making a run from her wedding and basically being disowned by her Grandmother for doing so, then the decision to go to Norway, which I loved as a setting. Everything the author describes gives me the urge to want to get on a plane to see the place for myself. The northern lights are definitely on my bucket list and definitely the kind of atmosphere that would feel magical and romantic with the right person.

However, once Frankie arrives in Norway I realised that the blurb had been somewhat misleading. I had figured that this would be the story of Jonas helping Frankie to find her mother during which they would fall hopelessly in love, instead, Frankie finds her mother straight away and the story is essentially a family reconnecting.

I have to admit to a little disappointed because I was really hoping for a crazy, doubt-ridden journey around Norway with a lot of romantic tension and I didn’t get it. That’s not to say that what I read wasn’t good, it was but I don’t think I would really class it as a romance book.

It was more of a family drama, although there really wasn’t that much drama. Surprisingly, considering how many big moments that could have caused a lot of emotional turmoil, everyone was very forgiving and exceptionally reflective. Which I have to say I didn’t find very believable, I mean I am all for Christmas miracles but there’s no way that you carry around that much hurt and then forgive someone in an instant.

The characters were all nice, the only one who wasn’t was the grandmother who went from being a heinous, battleaxe type individual to being nice and whilst it made for pleasant reading it didn’t make me feel particularly involved with them.

The ‘romance’ over the whole book between Jonas and Frankie was more like the tiny spark that you would find at the start of a romance book before it delves further into it and gets emotional. It was subtle but maybe a little bit too subtle and could do with a bit more to make you really root for it.

Love At The Northern Lights is an enjoyable book, good for a bit of light reading but I think for me being a bit mislead meant that it didn’t live up to its full potential.
A good take on a Christmas romance.  Beautiful settings, characters you could believe in and root for.  Excellent cosy night reading.
When Frankie realises what a mistake she is making and runs away from her own wedding she decides to run to Norway and find her long lost mother.... but she also finds the gorgeous Jonas!

Another lovely book by this author, I have loved all of her books and this one doesn't disappoint,  there are plenty of twists and turns and great characters, even the mean grandmother!  Great book to curl up in front of a fire with
A lovely story that totally involves you with you hoping for a happy ending. It was easy to read and kept you wanting to not put the book down. Recommended for those who enjoy this genre.
Another sparkly gem from Darcie Boleyn. This time we are taking on an unforgettable adventure to Norway! I loved Darcie’s writing style it hooks you right from the beginning and reals you in by revealing bit by bit a story that  dazzling, engaging and brimming with characters that you can  see being  your best friends.
I loved Frankie’s determination and Jonas kindness.
Love at the Northen Lights depicts romance in its true value.
A beautiful written story that makes you snuggle down with hot chocolte, light some candles and enjoy a pretty perfect moments in the company of a sparkly book.
I have never read a Darcie Boleyn book I haven't enjoyed and this is no exception. She's a gifted writer who knows how to craft a story to hold your interest from the beginning to the end. Perfect.
Norway & the Northern Lights are high on my bucket list, so I jumped at the opportunity to read Love at the Northern Lights this holiday season.

So what happens when a wealthy, has it all runaway brides ends up in Norway in search of her estranged mother and meets what is essentially the modern day version of a Viking?

I loved the setting of this book, and absolutely adored the mother-daughter storyline that was happening alongside the romance, but compared to other holiday reads I've read this year, it just didn't do as much for my heartstrings as the others. I found that everything fell into place just a bit too well, and the romance storyline moved a bit too slowly for my liking. The cast of characters is fantastic (even Helen Ashford!), but I found myself constantly wanting more from the plot.

I won't be ruling out other books by Darcie Boleyn, but I also don't think I'll be recommending this one much. It's a 'meh' from me.
I didn't like this book very much, even though I usually love cheesy Christmassy love stories. Frankie, the main character, was not very interesting, the plot was very predictable and dragged, it took me ages to finish reading it.
This is a really lovely story about how parents/grandparents decisions can really impact on a child and the way it maps their future.

Frankie is a really likeable character and you support the choices she makes and just hope she makes the right ones too....
This is an easy and enjoyable story to read. It has some twists along the way, whilst other parts are more predicable. The characters are believable and you get to know them well.
When Frankie decides to step off the path that her domineering Grandmother has set out for her and travel to Norway in search of her mother, you find yourself rooting for her from the very start. Oslo is beautifully described and you can hear the crunch of the snow beneath her feet and the crisp, cold of the snow. It all seems like a slightly magical place, never more so than when she travels north in search of the Northern Lights. There is a festive feel to the story and a sparkle and glitter about the place.

There is a strong, hopeful message. Can you forgive mistakes from the past and grasp second chances, looking forwards, never back? The romance is a slow burn, always there beneath the surface but there is also much to be said about family relationships. When Frankie meets Jonas, there is a clash of cultures with her privileged yet cold upbringing contrasting with his more humble but warm family life. Yet they also find that they have a lot in common. With strong characters and a wonderful setting, this is a great winter read.

In short: shimmering festive romance and a heart-warming tale.

Thanks to the author for a copy of the book.
‘Love at the Northern Lights’ is the kind of easy read that makes you feel all cosy inside. There’s romance, family stories as yet untold and it’s set between Oslo and London making the most of the scenery which is beautifully painted in your mind.  I found this a slow read, perhaps because the main drama is at the beginning of the book, but it was a sweet story with a message of forgiveness that I enjoyed dipping in and out of.

Thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for my free copy in return for an unbiased review.