The Perfect Girlfriend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

This looked liked a really good book but since my Amazon account is being weird, I lost the file for this book. That just means I get to buy this book or read it from my local Library, either way I'm still gonna read it someday!!

Thank You for the chance to read this book!
Elizabeth was jilted by her boyfriend. She reinvents herself as Juliette, takes a job in the same company as her ex then, relentlessly spies on and stalks him, all in the name of love and winning him back. On the surface, this sounds like the making of a fantastically twisted suspense. For me, the pacing was just off. Rather than a big build up, Juliette read as a narcissist stuck in a virtual Groundhog Day of stalking behavior. This was readable, but just fell  flat for me with not enough action.
A perfect pulse pounding thrilling that will take obsession to a whole new level. This novel blew me away with every twist and turn. The sheer obsession this girl has as she tries to get Nate back goes beyond any movie I've seen and book I've read. My only complaint would be that the ending felt abrupt. I would of liked a more detailed tied up ending but it was still good.
This book was so good that I can't believe it's a debut novel. This was a totally twisted love story that gives a new meaning to being obsessed with someone.
Hey. She is the perfect girlfriend and she will never let him go. Exactly. Juliette loves Nate. It is that simple, isn't it? Unfortunately, not so. But Juliette will go to any lengths necessary to make Nate realize how much he loves and needs her. For starters, Juliette becomes a flight attendant on Nate's airline, where he is a pilot, simply to be close to him. Now, it is only a matter of time for Nate to realize what a huge mistake he made breaking up with her six months ago.

This may be a familiar trope of an attraction that could and very well become fatal. But I did love how Karen Hamilton developed this novel. Not only do we have Juliette and her extreme focus on winning Nate back, but we have a bevy of other characters that just know something is more than a bit off, yet somehow seem rather reluctant to stop what is going on.

The Perfect Girlfriend was a quick read. I am ecstatic that it is a debut novel, because it clues the reader in as to what this new author's talents are. She developed a fast-paced, almost ridiculous read with characters that you couldn't like even if you tried. Kudos! I loved the fact that the book was written in first-person giving the reader opportunity to temporarily dwell in the mind of a loon. I will certainly be around for the next one.

Many thanks to Graydon House Books and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion.
Oh, how I love an unreliable narrator! The market has been filled with them over the past several years; what sets this book apart is the fact that the reader knows the narrator is unreliable / batshit crazy, but the narrator sees her behaviour as totally acceptable. It is amazing how much I loved this take on the unreliable narrator.

That's not to say the book wasn't without its faults: some of the actions seemed just way too out there to be actually legit, but this is the same girl who spent months training for a new skill set so she could infiltrate her ex-boyfriend's life in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. The extent that she would go to ensure she stayed in his life was over-the-top, but NOT TO HER. I'm actually gleeful just thinking about it. And then, to find out her motivations are even more deeply rooted was just icing on the cake.

Easily one of the more compelling psychological thrillers I have read in a while. Well done, Karen Hamilton. Slow clap
This book was very slow in beginning. Picked up towards middle but not enough. It was an ok read. I expected more suspense for this book.
This book was CRAZY... crazy good. The obsession and fixation was NEXT LEVEL. It kept me turning the pages with vigor, all the way through the twists and turns and unpredictable end. Holy wow! I don't even know what to say!
Try as I might, I couldn’t get into it. I made it to Chapter 4 before I finally stopped. The book failed to gain my attention and hold it.

I’m not really a fan of first-person writing. This book makes me dislike it even more. The first chapters introduce the main character as cold, unfeeling, stalkerish, and well… if you're psychology but the makings of a psychopath.

I felt no connection with Elizabeth “Juliette”.

As much as I wanted to finish this book, I stopped.

I learned that she stalks her ex-boyfriend, goes into his apartment, lays in his bed, checks his accounts (she has his passwords) and she follows another woman, Bella.

She, Elizabeth, took a job as a flight attendant to be near Nate.

Stalker Alert!
This storyline pulled me in from the very beginning. I couldn’t put it down. The lengths Juliette would go to so that she could try to work things the way she wanted became more and more frantic. I couldn’t wait to find out just how far she would go. There were definitely many “She wouldn’t! Did she really think that would work!” moments. There were a few parts of the storyline that I felt could have been fleshed out a little more and I was left lacking a little on. Thank you NetGalley for an opportunity to review this book in exchange for honest opinion.
I received this book in exchange for a honest review from NetGalley

The Perfect Girlfriend, by Karen Hamilton, is an engrossing story that centers on obsession and revenge. Juliette is a narrator that will keep you on your toes and guessing what she will do next, and it's absolutely brilliant! The novel is told through Juliette's eyes, which causes readers to question everything and hold their breaths to how her schemes and plans progress. A great read for fans of psychological thrillers!
I read a few reviews about Karen Hamilton's "The Perfect Girlfriend" that likened it to Caroline Kepnes' "You." I'm pretty obsessed with the guilty-pleasure Netflix series of the same title. If you haven't seen it or read the book, do both. You won't regret it. In "The Perfect Girlfriend", the plot isn't far off from the comparison--Juliette is an extremely unwell woman struggling with the recent break up with her soul-mate pilot boyfriend, Nate. She's convinced if she orchestrates just the right amount of coincidence mixed with destiny mixed with neurosis, she'll show him just how meant-to-be they are.

The plot is interesting enough. I LOVE a good unreliable narrator who does bad, bad things but makes us root for her to get away with it. What's lacking here is a sense of urgency. The writing moves along almost lackadaisically; Juliette is constantly scheming and setting things into motion, but the pace drags and I'm bored with her constant side games. By the time we reach the ridiculous (and positively delightful) Vegas scheme, the climaxing action isn't enough to redeem the snails crawl of repetitive Nate-dodging afterward.  After a while, I stopped wanting to pick the book back up after I'd fallen asleep on my iPad trying to read it every night. When it takes me longer than a month to finish a thriller, I know I'm just not interested. I DNFed this one and I don't regret it.
If you ever wanted to know the beginnings of the bunny-boiler, this is it! This is a thrilling novel of obsession, relationships and self-awareness. The twists and turns are magnetic and the overall feel is that of equal parts dread and anticipation. This is a book that really makes you wonder, how far is too far and blurs the line forever. I could not put it down!
The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton

book 34/105 for 2019
“If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they’re yours. If they don’t, make them.”
Juliette loves Nate. The fact that Nate broke up with her 6 months ago is nothing to Juliette. She has a Plan of Action to get her “true love” to take her back so she can prove she is the perfect girlfriend. Juliette sets out on her plan of action starting with becoming a flight attendant on the same airline where Nate is a Pilot. She uses her position as a flight attendant to her stalkerish advantage and puts her plan into place. There is nothing that could stop Juliette.

Review: I was so excited to receive an ARC of this book. I am a big suspense/thriller fan and this book sounded so promising! I was sure it was going to become a favorite. Well, I was wrong. A book that started off strong quickly fell short for me with its far fetched and highly unrealistic plot. The first half I was intrigued and curious to see where the book would go, but by the second half it had unraveled and took a weird turn. Maybe it’s because I read so many thrillers that this one couldn’t hold a candle?! I’m well versed in having to suspend reality to an extent with some books, but this one was even too unrealistic for that. I will say, it did keep my reading and it was a fast paced book. I waited for a major twist that never happened and I was disappointed at the ending.

This was just an “ok” book for me. I think some people will really love it and if it’s on your bookshelf I say give it a shot, you may be one of them!

My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (3 stars)
In her debut novel Karen Hamilton shows what it takes to be the Perfect Girlfriend:

Juliette loves Nate and follows him where ever he goes, she knows that they are destine to be together, but Nate just doesn't know it yet. The fact that Nate broke up with her six months ago has only strengthened her resolve that they are meant to be together. She is giving him the space he wants, makes herself into more of the girl that Nate wants and make him fall back in love with her. What could go wrong, she is the perfect girlfriend and love can hurts and all is fair in love and war.

I had high hopes for this book, it sounded interesting and was something a bit different than what I normally read. This book is full of manipulation and what the main character thinks love is. You follow Juliette/Lily as she proves to the man that she loves Nate, that she is the perfect one for him and lets just say that she takes way too far constantly. She finds out everything there is to know about Nate and is family, from spying to pretending to being someone else. Juliette really is a master manipulator.

You will not like the main character in this book. Yes, there are times where you will feel sorry for the main character she does have some horrible events in her past but she lets them define her entire adult life and she never grows out of this. The thing is that she is smart and probably could have a great life if she was not so obsessed with the past. By 80% I was sick of the main character and all her complaining and as we do not get any other point of view that hers it was a struggle to finish this book. She just could not see what she was doing was wrong and that she could have so much more if she could move on from him.

I thought this book would have more of a deadly twists to it, but it really was more of stalking and manipulation which Juliette takes to the extreme. I will also give this book high marks for not having a cookie cutter ending, but I could just not get past the main character, her lack of growth and constant complaining really turned me off this book.

Cheers!!!
I really, really wanted to like this book. The blurb hints at a dark, thrilling read, and the beginning has some promise. Unfortunately, that promise wasn't fulfilled, at least not for me. We have the unreliable narrator, and Juliette is certainly unstable, but it's way too easy to figure out the why of it all from the flashbacks we're given. We're practically spoon-fed this one, so any twists in the story really aren't surprising. I will say that the scenery of the many locations visited is good, and the details work for giving the reader a picture of so many far away places. What didn't work for me was the sheer amount of detail given about everything else. And I do mean everything. The more I read, the more tempted I was to just skip to end to see how it played out. That's a big no-no for me, but now, I really wish I had done exactly that. Then we have the whole stalking thing, and yes, Juliette is clearly troubled, but her plans and actions for most of the book are just pathetic and weak instead of the dark and dangerous woman I was hoping for. We do get a bit more grit toward the end, but by then, I was just over it and it was too little, too late. Finally, we come to the non-ending of this one. I can get behind a good jaw dropper, and I don't have to always have a justice is done, happy ending, but this one isn't that. It literally just stops - like I was wondering if there were missing pages - which turned my disappointment into a feeling of just being cheated. Maybe, I fell for the hype and expected too much from this book, or maybe it's just not for me, but I can't say that this is one I'll be recommending.
Juliette believes she is the perfect girlfriend for Nate.  And she will go to whatever lengths necessary to make their relationship work.  Even after Nate breaks up with her and wants nothing more to do with her.  But a minor detail like that won't stop Juliette because she knows that she and Nate are meant to be.  She just needs to get Nate to understand that.

I would give this book 3 stars.  Juliette is completely psychotic, and I do love psychotic characters!  There is something entertaining about reading from the perspective of someone who has just completely lost touch with reality.  I don't know how many times  I wanted to shout while reading, ""Again!? She is never going to stop!"  So much crazy going on; I had to keep reading!

But Juliette's voice did grow a bit tiresome and annoying as the book progressed.  She was whiny, and while I didn't expect to love her, I wished that she was just a bit more sympathetic.  For a long while, the pace of the book felt very slow.  There were a lot of scenes about Juliette being a flight attendant and details about her flights that did not seem to have any purpose in the story.  And then the ending was very abrupt.  I am undecided on how I feel about the end.  It actually reminded me of a controversial ending in another popular book (title to remain anonymous to prevent spoilers).  I liked the ending in that other book, so does that mean I also like it in this one?  Not sure on that yet!

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
This was a creepy thriller.

The main character, Juliette, stalks her former boyfriend in this story. Some of the things she did, like bring her friends to his apartment while he was away, were so creepy. I can’t imagine doing the things she did. She had some help with technology and social media, but she also followed him around a lot too.

I had a lot of questions right at the start of the story because it begins in the middle of things. It took a while for some things to be explained, such as relationships between characters, but this increased the suspense. However, I would have liked it if things were laid out a little more clearly earlier in the story.

The story ended abruptly, and I was left wondering what happens next. I enjoyed this suspenseful thriller.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was the perfectly gripping novel of a crazy ex girlfriend who should have received some psychological help in the past. I loved it. Perfectly creepy in a perfect way. Thanks to netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
This book is so close to the diary of a stalker that you will be simultaneously appalled (jeez, that’s scary!), confused (why can’t she see that he doesn’t care for her?), and sympathetic (she really needs help, I hope she gets it). That combination of emotions didn’t work for me, as the feeling that overpowered everything was disgust. This woman just did not get it. The begging and pleading and duplicity were way too much for me to keep on going. That being said, I did finish the book despite my soul pleading for me to just DNF and move on. The author made a good showing, and I am sure there is a better second book in the works.

I will say the writing is good, the characters were mostly fleshed out and the twist at the end was something I didn’t see coming. The actual ending….meh. I felt that anyone who made it through the slog should have deserved better. The more I think about it, the more I call it a cop-out.

THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND is one of the few books that I regretted spending time reading, even as I turned the pages. Perhaps if Juliette was less clingy (would that have diluted the story?) or if the book was shorter (there was a lot of plans and wailing and gnashing of teeth). At times it seemed as if the plot consisted of Juliette just breaking into places (some of which seemed nigh impossible) then vacillating between love and hatred for Nate. At least seven instances of that could have been removed to make the book go faster.

I think this book is one you will either love or hate – which one will you be? You can pick up your copy here.