The Perfect Girlfriend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Fatal attraction taken to the airlines!

He loves me..... He loves me not!

A bit of a gender cross-over in this obsessed stalker novel. Juliette is so motivated to keep tabs on pilot and boyfriend, Nate, that she becomes a flight attendant. Oh my gosh, I would have loved to see the expression on Nate's face when she "revealed" her new role to him (and while on the job)!

Juliette sees herself as a "perfect girlfriend" and believes wholeheartedly in the mantra "If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, they're yours."  BUT she manipulates the ending to "If they don't, make them."

There is more depth to the novel as Hamilton brings in the other characters and their response/reactions to "something about" Juliette.  She is such a flawed character and I was full on board as she planned out her mission. She did not disappoint as she kept upping the ante!

I had a fun time reading this debut novel and was never bored. Juliette was the snarkiest narrator as she tried to manipulate her world. She kept me thoroughly entertained and giggling at the over the top shenanigans she piled on poor Nate! And oooh....... that end. Poor Nate!!

Brilliantly addictive just like I like my psychological thrillers.

Thanks to Harlequin/ Graydon House for my review copy.
I give this book more of a 3.5 star rating. I love the premise, and I think the intricate ways Juliette's obsession was threaded through experiences in her past and present were done masterfully. Little reveals are woven into the text so subtly that it took my breath away to realize the way certain characters are connected. I also love how meticulous Juliette is in her plan. I was constantly shocked by just how precisely everything was done and how far she is willing to go.

That said, in the end I was a little disappointed in this book. I had just finished reading YOU, and that probably made me expect more of a similar vibe from THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND. And it definitely did not have it. The voice in this book is not fresh or riveting. Many times it felt like reading someone's laundry list. I'm sure it is done this way to show Juliette's disconnect from reality and personal relationships, but it just turned out dry. Very few scenes had the type of tension that made me hold my breath and anxiously flip to the next page. There are some attempts to make Juliette seem three-dimensional, but it just never took me all the way to where I really enjoyed reading about her.

Before I was even halfway through the book, I was bored, and that is never a good sign for me. I think this book had a lot of potential, but it just fell short for me personally. I'm sure it'll be riveting for others who don't have the same nitpicks about thrillers as I do. It has everything there: unreliable narrator, intricate plots and threads, interesting flashbacks. Somehow it just did not work in quite the right way for me.
This book has everything that I love. A protagonist who is crazy yet you want her to come away as a winner. A story that you think can’t get crazier but then it does. Such a fun ride. Loved this book!
Shocking, twisted and addicting! This book sucked me in from the very beginning and demanded my interest the entire way through to the shocking ending. I loved how fast paced this book was and I found myself so immersed in the story and with how crazy Juliette was, I wanted to read more to see what crazy thing she would do next.

Juliette was clearly obsessed with her ex Nate. She goes through great lengths to keep tabs on his daily life and to try to keep him in her life. She would do anything for him, and cannot understand what guy wouldn’t love that and want to be with a girl who puts them first, before everything. Determined to show Nate just how much she loves and adores him, Juliette is on a mission to win him back.

Juliette is a flawed character with so much going on. She is delusional, secretive, vindictive, and sneaky, which makes for a fabulous addictive read that will have you flipping through the pages until the very end. Will Nate realize just how much Juliette loves him and take her back?

A must read if you love thrillers. This book will not disappoint!
This is a great book.  The writing is excellent and very descriptive. It gives a new meaning to the word Obsession!  I liked the twist in the story also because I did not see it coming; I like when I am surprised. I look forward to reading more by Hamilton.

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for a review.
To be honest I want sure if I would like this book very much. But ket me tell you, this was good from the first page to the last. The ending did leave a little to be desired, like what happens in the end? Does he give in to her obsessive crazy or does he run for his life? Only the author knows for sure.
I literally did not want to put this book down. It was that good.
One of the better psychological thrillers I have read! The main character is just crazy as hell.
Have you ever obsessed over a guy and found yourself thinking you are crazy? Well I can guarantee you have nothing on Juliette who is a bat shit crazy flight attendant who is over the moon about Nate. This plot is thick and juicy like a rare steak and will have you ravenous to see how it all ends! Which by the way the ending will leave you dazed and confused like a deer in headlights so beware,
Ooh my god, what?! That's it?? But what happens? Is there a sequel???

Apparently not! So be warned that the ending may leave you scratching your head a bit.

The details of being a flight attendant felt very accurate, from beginning to end. And the characters definitely jumped off the page.

This felt a hit slow in the first half, but picked up around Vegas. The last 3rd is pretty fantastic, and I felt like the pacing really reflected Juliette's emotional state as things came to a head.

I don't want to give anything away, but this is a wonderful suspense, with some twists and turns (some predictable, but still entertaining).
Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin for providing me with an Advanced Reader Copy of The Perfect Girlfriend in exchange for an honest review.

Debut novel.

Lily is heartbroken when Nate decides to end their relationship, so she devotes her time into reinventing herself as Juliette, flight attendant and consummate "perfect girlfriend". Her obsession with Nate and winning him back dominates all her hours, and the book reads a great deal like a Lifetime original movie.

Liked: The book is very fast-paced and an easy read and I really enjoyed the glimpses into life as an airline employee.

Disliked: I feel like the obsessive ex-girlfriend story has been done so many times that it really needs something to make it feel fresh, and unfortunately this thriller does not offer that. Like other reviewers, I found the ending to abrupt and it turned me off. There were many situations and character interactions that just did not seem plausible.

As a thriller, it's fine. I admit, I have become much more critical with this genre, but this one gets two stars.

The Perfect Girlfriend comes out on 2/27/19.
Talk about a tad bit obsessed. Lily, or rather Juliette, has had a bit of a rough go in her early years. Which really played a key role in the person that she is today. From death, being bullied, and to feeling thrown away, she now has a very specific plan in mind. One that revolves solely around a man that is no longer interested in her -- Nate.

As a main character, you cannot help but be fascinated by Juliette. There were so many times that I could not put the book down even though I was feeling a bit uncomfortable. Juliette has a plan of action (POA) that she will stop at nothing to achieve. Admittedly, I was eager to see how the story would play out. Not to mention, I loved the flashbacks. It gave you a bit of understanding to why she is the way she is. Although that is not saying her action and behavior was all that okay.

The supporting characters were interesting, but did not hold a candle to Juliette. I found Nate to be a bit bland. Sure he may have been handsome, but I could not see why she she wanted to be with him so badly. But then again, obsession doesn't have to make sense.

All in all, I did find this book to be rather interesting! I was pretty hooked, especially after the 40% mark. Things really started moving and I couldn't help but read late into the night.
Wow!  Juliette REALLY loves Nate and she is willing to do anything for them to be together.  I’m in awe of her devious, calculating mind and the lengths she was willing to go to.  I couldn’t wait to read the next chapter to see what she would do next.  It was definitely suspenseful.  What a great read!
What a page turner! This is a fast paced, cleverly plotted mystery by an author to watch! Recommended to fans of mystery!
The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton is another book about obsession, but one that I thought was executed very well. When I first started this book I thought it was a bit of a slow read, but after I put it down for awhile and came back to it I devoured the rest of it very quickly.

The Perfect Girlfriend tells the story of a crazypants girl named Juliette and her obsession with a man named Nate. They dated for a bit and end up breaking up, but Juliette refuses to accept that as being the end of it. She is going to have him no matter what she has to do... I don't want to go into the plot too much because I think it is best to read it without knowing much. The blurb for this book is really perfect, and basically all you need to know.

I've begun to notice that I am really temperamental when it comes to books that focus on one person's obsession with someone or something. Some I like and some I just can't stand. The Perfect Girlfriend made it more interesting for me, instead of being annoying even though Juliette is in fact pretty annoying.

Final Thought: There definitely aren't any likable characters in this book, but I don't think there are meant to be. I would also say there isn't anything too surprising in here, but the writing was great and I couldn't tell this was a debut novel. If you love books about obsession I would definitely check The Perfect Girlfriend out. And I can't wait to see what Hamilton comes up with next!

The Perfect Girlfriend in 3-ish words: Scandalous, Devious, & Clever
Thank you to Graydon House and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this thriller. Juliette, Elizabeth, Lily – the woman with many names – is hung up on Nate who broke up with her months before. She gets a job at the airline where he works, she sneaks into his flat when he’s away and she plots and plans on how she’ll get him back. I enjoyed the insider’s view of how flight attendants see their passengers. Turns out that’s accurate because the author worked as a flight attendant.

However, I found the incessant plotting tedious. Juliette never quite has a full plan of action or any follow through. And wowzer, I really felt cheated by the ending. I totally didn’t care for Juliette. I looked hard but couldn’t find any redeeming qualities.

I would recommend this book as a good insider’s view into flight attendants and passengers on flights, but as a thriller, not so much.
Uhhhhhhhhhh . . . . .

Once again I am the dissenter in the ranks amongst my friends and their high ratings. However, at 3.68 this book doesn’t have a high rating from the masses in general so maybe I didn’t read it completely wrong??? I also chose to pick it up during a time when my attitude was pretty much in the toilet, so maybe that can shoulder part of the blame. Thanks work for being so extra last week, you turd!

I really wanted/expected this to turn my frown upside down. I mean, you know your homegirl likes the stalkers. And all the comparisons to a certain someone being dropped had me expecting You 3.0 - only with 100% more vagina.

The Perfect Girlfriend had potential. Hell, it started out with our main gal breaking into her ex-boyfriend’s apartment while he was out of town. Her lack of self-awareness even made me chuckle at times . . . .

“I have seven missed calls from Nate and one from James. It feels like harassment.”

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it was really slow going for me – the ridiculous(™Ron2.0) was off the charts – which would be A-okay if things didn’t go from farfetched over-the-top storylines to ones that kinda made me sad.

Also? I would have MOTHER.EFFING.LUUUUUUUUUUURVED it if the whole Nate was simply a red herring for a fun twist I didn’t see coming. Buuuuuuuuuut, it didn’t happen and what did happen just left me feeling meh.

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, NetGalley!
If you love someone, let them go.
If they come back, they are yours. If they don’t... make them.
Whoa talk about a psycho stalker! If you enjoyed You and Hidden Bodies, you will enjoy this book.
Pieces really start to come together in the latter part of the book: her motives for doing all the stalking she was doing and why. I really didn’t like the ending. Granted, it’s a different type of ending and it leaves it open for a sequel so we shall see.
I had such high hopes for this one. It was predictable and though there were some great moments, it wasn't at all what I imagined.
Juliette is in love with Nate. Does it matter that they had broken up 6 months earlier and Nate wants nothing to do with her? No. Because Juliette has a plan to win over Nate. And she will do anything to stick to the plan and get Nate. Anything.

When I started reading The Perfect Girlfriend, I wasn’t expecting the main character to be crazy. I mean it, she was cray-cray. I loved it!! This is the first book I have read that is told from the protagonist’s side. Again, loved it!! Juliette was the perfect antihero.

I will admit, I did feel bad for her. Juliette didn’t have the best life growing up. She was responsible for her 4-year-old brother at 10 years old. When he fell into the pond and drowned, she was blamed. She became an outcast at school, with kids teasing her or ignoring her. Boarding school was no better. She was bullied by Bella and her friends. Then, she was used by a mystery boy at the one party she went too. All those incidents helped shape her into a stalker. I thought to myself, at different points in the book, what if she got help when she was younger. What if she didn’t go to boarding school. Would she have turned out differently?

Nate bothered me. I couldn’t see what Juliette saw in him. He had zero personality. He was dull. He was “meh“. I didn’t see the appeal. He didn’t even treat her nice when they were dating. At the risk of repeating myself, what on earth did she see in him? Of course, it was revealed at the end of the book exactly what the appeal was.

Same goes with Bella. I didn’t understand why Juliette was stalking both Nate and Bella. Then it was mentioned that they were brother and sister. I then had a “Gotcha moment“. I still didn’t get the whole obsession with Bella until the end of the book. Then I was like “OOOOOO, makes sense now.“

I loved watching Juliette’s stalking escalate. She started small, breaking into Nate’s apartment/logging into his Facebook/getting a job where he worked. She went bigger, putting a spyware app on his phone and computer/showing up at events where Bella would be/bringing friends over to Nate’s apartment. When she went huge, she went huge. I’m not going to say what but I was amazed that she was able to pull off what she did.

Which brings me to the end of the book. I was not thrilled with it. The book was excellent up to the last few chapters. Then it seemed like everything was being rushed. I wasn’t expecting it to end the way it did. Saying that I was underwhelmed was an understatement. It was the ending that lowered my review from 4 stars to 3 stars.
Is this even real life? Was this an actual book? Not saying that I didn't enjoy it, it was just so ridiculous. Lily/Juliette is such a fucking weirdo. She is just..wow. I know that sentence is super descriptive, but I don't even know what to say about her. I have a "wow" for this. You definitely need to suspend your disbelief throughout this novel, but I got through it nonetheless.
If you enjoyed You (either the novel by Caroline Kepnes or the Lifetime/Netflix series), then this novel could be a good next read for, well, you.

This book is a tangled web and not all of the threads really weave together well. In particular, the backstory about a tragedy in Lily’s past is a bit extraneous. It does not really contribute to the character development or the plot and could have safely been edited out. The story also goes totally off the rails at the end. In the last 30ish pages, Lily/Juliette/Elizabeth goes so far in her pursuit of Nate that the result is very cringeworthy and unbelievable.

Nevertheless, this book is enjoyable in the way that a good Lifetime movie is. It’s not great, but it is plenty diverting when you just feel like snuggling under the covers and drinking tea. The story and characters are somewhat derivative of smash hits that came before The Perfect Girlfriend (Gone Girl, You, The Talented Mr. Ripley), but if you enjoyed those then you might really like this too. Although I am a bit tired of the disturbed, stalking, evil jilted woman character, I have to admit that I still like to see her at work. My favorite parts of this novel are when Juliette is scheming. I liked seeing the pieces of the puzzle come together. She’ll do something devious and I’ll guess what she’s playing at, and then the result is often much worse than I thought. It’s fun and a little salacious and made a great read for a snowy weekend.