The Perfect Girlfriend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This book gave me the creeps. If you like You by Caroline Kepnes then you will like this book.  It is pretty amazing when a written can make you emotionally attached to a character with that kind of personality. \\

However, I did feel that it went into too much detail toward the beginning and middle of the book. It really slowed the pacing down for me and was a distraction to the storyline.
The Perfect Girlfriend # NetGalley
Karen Hamilton

This is a debut novel for author Karen Hamilton and I enjoyed it. She introduces us to the scariest character I have read in a while. Juliette is everyone ‘s worst nightmare, one you would pray you would never meet. She infuses herself into the innocent people around her. Starting with a childhood trauma that would change her psyche, she immerses herself in her “friends” life’s. She cannot let go of her circumstances and has a hard time being acceptable  in her need to make friends. She longs for a forever boyfriend, one who she pictures spending the rest of her life with. But, she continues to find herself alone. How can she make her boyfriend love her forever and want to spend the rest of his life with her? She struggles with choosing between right and wrong. The ending leaves you wanting more closure, but you will have to imagine whether or not she will get her comeuppance. I rate this book 4 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced read copy of this book for an honest review. The opinions are all my own.
For the last 7-months, Elizabeth has been patient ever since her boyfriend, Nate, said he needed space, breaking up with her. She’s been devising a plan of action to get him back to her life. She changes her career to a flight attendant since Nate’s a pilot and Elizabeth starts going by her middle name, Juliette.

Elizabeth held onto Nate’s apartment key and sneaks into his home any chance she gets. She sits on his bed, perfectly spaces the hangers in his closet, leaves him special gifts that could almost go undetected. She finds a way to access all of Nate’s calls, texts, internet search history. Elizabeth knows Nate like no one else ever could and she knows they are destined to be together.

When Elizabeth learns her coworker, Kate, is dating Nate, she does everything in her power to tear them apart. Casual flings she can handle, but a serious relationship gets in the way of Elizabeth’s plan. She manages to weave her way back into Nate’s life because she’s the one for Nate. Surely, he will one day realize his mistake in breaking up with her, right?

Elizabeth has never forgotten about her time as a teenager at an elite boarding school. The most popular girl at school—Bella—ensured that Elizabeth felt inferior. Elizabeth’s been keeping track of Bella ever since, a kind of obsession. This obsession bleeds into Elizabeth’s day-to-day life and even her relationship with Nate.

We get to experience what makes Elizabeth’s mind ticks and why her behavior is so irrational, so insane.  Things can’t end well for Elizabeth, but we get to see firsthand just what kind of trouble she gets herself into...

The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton is a psychological thriller with an unreliable, mentally unstable main character. I enjoyed getting to see what kind of predicaments Elizabeth/Juliette gets herself into. Up until about the halfway mark, the book is setting the scene, painting a picture of Elizabeth/Juliette’s psychotic behavior while simultaneously seeing her life as a flight attendant. Somehow I’ve unintentionally read 3 books this week all centered around flight attendant main characters—I had no idea there were so many! After that halfway mark, the story takes a twist toward the ridiculous, but what else would we expect from an insane ex-girlfriend? The story wasn’t fast-paced by any means, but the train wreck that is Elizabeth’s life was fun to watch unfold. 3/5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Graydon House and Karen Hamilton for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I was excited to read The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton. It has all the makings of an exciting book. Crazy ex girlfriend obsessed with her boyfriend. Stalking. And who knows what else! And my boyfriend is in aviation, so an extra bonus for me. So I’m not sure why this book ending up falling flat. For me, it ended up being too much character development, not enough action, and a slow moving plot. Sometimes I enjoy getting inside the head of someone like Lily, but it didn’t work for me in this case.

If you like books based on a stalker, first person narratives, and character development check this one out. There are a few other more glowing reviews, so definitely balance my review with those!
The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton isa twisted thrillerabout a woman who will do everything in her power to be the perfect girlfriend.

Juliette loves Nate. She'll do anything for him. She'll beanything for him. The only problem is that Nate broke up with her 6 months ago. Desperate to win him back, Juliette sinks to incredible lows to manipulate Nate's affections.

This book was crazy in the very best of ways!The whole book was a trip, and I loved following Juliette's life as she masterminds her way into Nate's life. At times Juliette's actions were cringeworthy, but mostly, I was impressed by her complete and total commitment to her plan.

Juliette will truly do anything to get Nate back. Laws are suggestions. Stalking is a must. And boundaries are non-existent. Juliette follows Nate around the globe, though I think my favorite scene with the two of them together was in Vegas. Juliette was truly at her unbalanced best in Vegas!The hoops she jumps through was awe-inspiring, and the amount of planning that she went through would put project managers to shame.

Yes, at times the events were a stretch and bordered on unbelievable, but I didn't mind. I appreciated the entertainment and the quirky perspective Juliette provided.

While the other characters in the book were well-written, the main focus was on Juliette. She made the book. She was the star.

The ending of the book was slightly anticlimactic. I wasn't sure how it was going to end, but it's not entirely what I was expecting.

Should you The Perfect Girlfriend? If you like thrillers, check out The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton!This book is an exciting ride, worthy of your bookshelf.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing the Kindle version of this book and BookSparksfor providing the finished copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Wow....I can tell you that the main character, Juliette, is certifiable! She is just so crazy in her obsession. There is a point in the book that you find something out that set Juliette on her crazy course. I think the author did a good job of making you feel sorry for Juliette a "tiny" bit but that feeling doesn't last!
The first maybe 30% seems extremely slow but the rest.....I flew through as the plot just got more twisted!
An amazing character in Libby, Elizabeth, Juliette. The character was well developed. What a life! I loved all the twists and turns in the story. I must say, I was disappointed with the ending. Is there a squeal in the works?
Leaving me?  How can you want to end this relationship, Nate?  I am the perfect girlfriend.

Juliette and Nate had been together for a short while, but Nate wanted some space.

Juliette couldn’t get over how Nate wanted to end what they had so she decided to train as an airline stewardess and be close to Nate since he was a pilot.  She had to remember, though, that their parting rules were to have no contact.

Juliette knew how to stay close to Nate yet remain apart.  Juliette would stop in at Nate’s apartment when she knew he was on a long distance flight and pretend she still lived there.

Juliette did some other things not so benign simply because no one can have Nate if she can’t have him because she is the perfect girlfriend.

THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND was a bit slow to start, but once Juliette started with her "plans," the pages flew by because you won't be able to believe the extent she went to making sure to keep an eye on Nate and his current life.

You won't want to miss reading THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND if you enjoy a steadily paced thriller that reveals Juliette and her past and especially her current plans to keep Nate.

She actually made my heart race with the things she did and with her boldness.  It is also difficult to believe how she thought of the things she did.

Obsessive, cunning, deceitful, unstable, and awful are the PERFECT words for THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND.  4/5

This book was given to me as an ARC by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Perfect Girlfriend features an unhinged woman stalking her ex-boyfriend to convince him they can still be happy together. She's given him time, you see, the time he said he needed to be free. Juliette, or Lily, as she used to be called, has suffered a rough life. Her younger brother drowned when she was a child; her mother was neglectful; she was teased and bullied while away at school. But now that she's all grown up, she's going to be happy and successful, just like she's always dreamed of. She just needs one thing to make that happen: her ex-boyfriend, Nate, to admit that he's still madly in love with her and wants to spend the rest of his life with her. Nate doesn't seem to be in any hurry, though, and Juliette knows that the sooner they can settle down, the better life will be for both of them. What's a girl to do? Hurry things along, of course.

The book is fairly well-written, but the ending is entirely too abrupt. Juliette is not a pleasant character, and if you're meant to feel any sympathy for her, the author has failed in that respect. She's a gaslighter and manipulator, and you rather hope someone will call the police on her at more than one point.
Calling all Caroline Kepnes fans! All the Caroline Kepnes fans to the building, please. Because if you enjoyed You and Hidden Bodies, chances are you will enjoy The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton.

I struggle a little bit with rating this book. It falls somewhere between a 3 and a 4 for me. I very much enjoyed the first half of the book. Hamilton presented this idea of a flight attendant using her position in the airline industry to perform these manipulative tricks to her stalkerish-advantage. And it was fascinating to gain some perspective into the life a flight attendant in general. I was on board with the mystery and suspense. Juliette was definitely mentally unhinged and her character was written in a way that portrayed that perfectly.

But right around halfway through, it started to unravel a bit for me. I found the story overall very far fetched and unbelievable. I mean, it's a thriller. And most thrillers require you as a reader to suspend reality to some extent. But this was a bit beyond what I would typically think of as a reasonable level of plausability. Do we think this stalker girl can get away with breaking into houses without being caught? Do we think she can continue to plan these "coincidences" and chance meetings with her stalkerish prey? All I'm saying is you need to go into this book with the understanding that you're reading for pure entertainment because the translation to real life is a bit tough.

I also struggled a bit with the subplot about the main character's brother drowning (not a spoiler... this is the prologue). I wasn't entirely sure how it related to the overall story, particularly because it was the prologue. I was waiting for it to somehow play into a twist somewhere by the end, and it just never happened. While it was mentioned again at various parts in the story, it could have probably been left completely out of the book and wouldn't have changed the outcome of the story.

I mean, all of that being said, it was entertaining and did keep me reading to find out what would happen next. There wasn't a point where I wanted to put the book down and be done with it. I was a tad disappointed with the ending. It felt very rush and unresolved in my opinion, but perhaps the author was trying to leave us with a little bit of mystery to ponder on our own.

Overall, it was just an okay read for me. It did not blow me away, but if you're looking for something similar to the You series by Caroline Kepnes, this would be a book to check out.

-I was gifted this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Karen Hamilton, and Graydon House Books for the opportunity to review.-
The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton is the perfect psychological suspense thriller.  Juliette wants nothing more than to resume her broken off relationship with Nate. She goes to great lengths to cross paths with him and convince him that he is destined to be with her. This book is full of jaw-dropping moments that will leave you saying to yourself that you can't believe what Juliette is up to now. Read and enjoy!
"You can't change a mistake. Ever. Instead, it weaves its way inside you, becomes an embedded part, a bad, rotten suffocating part."

Lily/Juliette loves Nathan Goldsmith. And he's going to love her too, no matter what he thinks about it or how hard he tries to fight it. She'll make sure of that.

This is just a fun book about the craziest wanna be girlfriend that I have ever read. The lengths that she goes through to try to ensnare this man are beyond the pale -- she's taken stalking to a whole new level. Nothing will set her off her course and when she runs into difficulties, she adapts. She has a POA (plan of action) that she revises as need be and Nate can run, he can hide, he can get a lawyer, but Lily/Juliette is one determine woman who insists on having what she's been denied. Life with the man of her dreams. It's fate, isn't it? And he owes her. NO SPOILERS.

Just stop reading this review and get this book in your hands pronto. You will definitely enjoy the couple of hours it will take for you to speed through this madcap lesson in how (not) to get your man! Loved the writing and I have to hand it to the author -- never did such a kooky psycho character ever prove so nearly likeable despite all her antics. You just have to admire Lily/Juliette's effort! LOL

Thank you to NetGalley and Graydon House Books for this e-book ARC to read and review. It was pure entertainment from cover to cover! It screams movie adaptation.
I love obsessive girlfriend stories because there's just no telling what will happen next. This reminded me a bit of the movie "Swimfan" which I also loved. The unpredictability of Juliette's next actions was the perfect amount of crazy to really make this book an excellent read! Thank you to NetGalley and Graydon House for the opportunity to read this digital ARC. I will absolutely be purchasing this for my library.
I really didn't like this book. I don't know if it was the writing or the pacing, but there was nothing about it that felt new or compelling enough to interest me. I think thrillers are a pretty over saturated market and there are so many writers doing it so well these days that you really have to do something interesting to compete and for me, The Perfect Girlfriend didn't have anything that set it apart. It was incredibly mediocre.
I so wanted to love this book. I did and I thought it would be a perfect read for me. Unfortunately it wasn't.

That said, I think the author did a good job, especially with the characters and descriptions and I will certainly check out her future work. She did a great job of making Juliette the full on crazy stalker girl that is everyone's nightmare (and if not, it should be!) But...there were too many things that made me roll my eyes like the access to internal documents in the airline's computers after such a short time as a flight attendant as well as the insta-promotion after the difficult landing. I just couldn't see it.

I did love the look at the life of a flight attendant and figured most of it was based in reality since this author was previously cabin crew. I enjoyed the quick glimpses of life in the foreign countries Juliette visited also.

This is a good psychological thriller, but sadly the market is very saturated with them just now and this was just not a book that stuck out to me as one that was better than the rest. The ending made me wonder where the rest of the book was also.....or if my copy was missing a few pages. So all in all, an okay read that is worth checking out and I will definitely be watching for this author's next book.

Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for allowing me an ARC at my request. My thoughts in this review are my own.
Thanks to NetGalley and the author, Karen Hamilton, for the advanced copy of this book! This book is set to release on March 26,2019!

I've been reading ALOT of romance lately, so I figured it was time to switch it up to a psychological thriller. While romances are my favorite, I definitely enjoy being creeped out! I like the creepy books that make you think you stepped into an episode of Criminal Minds.

This book is about Juliette/Lily/Elizabeth, whatever name you decide to call her. She is a flight attendant, who at first read seems to be trying to get her life in order to try and get her ex boyfriend back. The start of the book makes you realize she has encountered some traumatizing event, but she seems normal at first. She is not. She is bat shit crazy, and you soon find out she will go to some pretty extreme lengths to get her ex, Nate, back.

Juliette was pretty insane, and it didn't take me long to figure it out. I felt so bad for Nate, and I was thoroughly creeped out at the things she did without him even noticing. It wasn't just Nate that she did weird things to either, it was pretty much everyone in her life. The girl was a psycho, but she was a psycho disguised as a pretty normal, attractive woman. She had been through two pretty traumatic things in her life, which I was lead to believe made her act the way she did, but towards the end of the book I realized that maybe she really just was a crazy person.

Like I said before, I felt bad for Nate, at first. I couldn't even imagine having someone going to such great lengths to stalk and put themselves back in my life. About 70% into the book you find out some interesting information about him that you weren't aware of in the beginning of the book that kind of made me see him in a different light. I, in no way shape or form, felt like he deserved the stuff she did to him, but he was definitely not just an innocent bystander. He wasn't the "great guy" she made him out to be throughout the book.

I liked the book, and I definitely felt like there were more than a few times that some stuff that was happening made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, but I just wish it had a little more. There were some parts of the book that seemed like they really drug on, and I just really wish there was a little more creepiness going on. The author went into a lot of detail about the lives of pilots and flight attendants, which was interesting, but I just wish there would have been more thriller, and less about the flying. It kind of felt like the story You by Caroline Kepnes, only switch the leads and add in the flying. I really enjoyed that story, and this one was good also. It definitely made you think about the age of technology we live in and how many people could be watching you without you even realizing it.

Overall, I'm giving this book 3.5 STARS. It was a good read, and it definitely had the creep factor going on, I guess I just wanted it to be a little more than it was. This is the authors first release, so I will definitely seek her out again for another book!
The Perfect Girlfriend
By
Karen Hamilton

What it's all about...

Elizabeth/Juliette/Lily...she changes her name to suit her needs.  Juliette has a wonderful BF in Nate.  She does everything for him...cooks, cleans, remembers his favorite things.  Only Nate broke up with her months ago and assumes that Juliette is totally out of his life.  Little does he know she is in his apartment when he is away and stalks him every chance she gets.  And...she makes these stalkings occur almost daily!  She has even become a flight attendant because he is a pilot.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Juliette is another one of those cleverly dysfunctional characters that most readers love to hate.  The way she manages to insinuate herself into Nate’s life provided this reader with a delightful amount of shock and awe!  She will do anything to get Nate back.  If others are involved...too bad for them.

What I loved best...

Juliette is not a character anyone could love.  I didn’t even want to have any kind of empathy for her.  But she is an amazing central figure and her actions carry this book!   I literally could not put this book down.  However for me there were two mildly irritating points...this author overuses the word whilst!  I am not saying anything about the ending...but I will be curious to read other readers thoughts about it.

What potential readers might want to know...

Readers who love tons of dysfunction in their characters will love this book!

I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley.  It was my choice to read and review it.
Fatal attraction taken to the airlines!

He loves me..... He loves me not!

A bit of a gender cross-over in this obsessed stalker novel. Juliette is so motivated to keep tabs on pilot and boyfriend, Nate, that she becomes a flight attendant. Oh my gosh, I would have loved to see the expression on Nate's face when she "revealed" her new role to him (and while on the job)!

Juliette sees herself as a "perfect girlfriend" and believes wholeheartedly in the mantra "If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, they're yours."  BUT she manipulates the ending to "If they don't, make them."

There is more depth to the novel as Hamilton brings in the other characters and their response/reactions to "something about" Juliette.  She is such a flawed character and I was full on board as she planned out her mission. She did not disappoint as she kept upping the ante!

I had a fun time reading this debut novel and was never bored. Juliette was the snarkiest narrator as she tried to manipulate her world. She kept me thoroughly entertained and giggling at the over the top shenanigans she piled on poor Nate! And oooh....... that end. Poor Nate!!

Brilliantly addictive just like I like my psychological thrillers.

Thanks to Harlequin/ Graydon House for my review copy.
I give this book more of a 3.5 star rating. I love the premise, and I think the intricate ways Juliette's obsession was threaded through experiences in her past and present were done masterfully. Little reveals are woven into the text so subtly that it took my breath away to realize the way certain characters are connected. I also love how meticulous Juliette is in her plan. I was constantly shocked by just how precisely everything was done and how far she is willing to go.

That said, in the end I was a little disappointed in this book. I had just finished reading YOU, and that probably made me expect more of a similar vibe from THE PERFECT GIRLFRIEND. And it definitely did not have it. The voice in this book is not fresh or riveting. Many times it felt like reading someone's laundry list. I'm sure it is done this way to show Juliette's disconnect from reality and personal relationships, but it just turned out dry. Very few scenes had the type of tension that made me hold my breath and anxiously flip to the next page. There are some attempts to make Juliette seem three-dimensional, but it just never took me all the way to where I really enjoyed reading about her.

Before I was even halfway through the book, I was bored, and that is never a good sign for me. I think this book had a lot of potential, but it just fell short for me personally. I'm sure it'll be riveting for others who don't have the same nitpicks about thrillers as I do. It has everything there: unreliable narrator, intricate plots and threads, interesting flashbacks. Somehow it just did not work in quite the right way for me.
This book has everything that I love. A protagonist who is crazy yet you want her to come away as a winner. A story that you think can’t get crazier but then it does. Such a fun ride. Loved this book!