Mewranters: Attack of the Sea Monster

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Nov 2018

I'd like to thank @netgalley for providing me with this review copy in exchange of an honest review! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
//Book Review\\ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Title- Mewranters: Attack of the Sea Monster by Kachi Ugo. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Rating- ⭐⭐⭐
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Synopsis-
Perry Johnson thinks there's nothing extraordinary about him. In the fall of his twelfth birthday, his family takes a trip to their cabin in Nevada that changes his life. He discovers that he's one of the Mewraters- creatures born from the good of the nature, who have the ability to turn into animals of the air, land and sea. Things begin to heat up when Perry's transformation into a golden eagle brings the sea monster back to the surface. Every Mew in the country blames him for the monster and is out to hunt him, while Perry unveils the truth about himself and learns that he isn't so ordinary after all. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Review- ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
✨Of the bat, I really loved the premise of the story. It's middle-grade, too, so it definitely had this...innocence to the story that I loved. The plot of the story is really interesting. It's very Percy Jackson-esque (even their names are familiar lol), with the whole chosen one arc and all that, and it was enjoyable in a sense. ✨The pacing of the story was slightly off. The beginning dragged on a bit too much, and the end, which actually had quite a few interesting parts was just really sped up and bashed in. I felt like the author could have paced themselves a bit here, and developed the story gradually. ✨The characters in this book, while being adorable, were also very two dimensional and forgettable. You only ever feel a bit for Perry, and that is also not until the end. And that was something of a bummer for me. ✨The writing in the book is just very unrefined and not great. It just felt like the super interesting premise of the book kind of got knocked down several pegs because of the writing. There was a lot of telling, and not enough showing,and some sentences were just really awkward and badly constructed. And it made the story the exact opposite of immersive.✨Overall, it was an average read but I think it would make a great tv show/comic!
I had a lot of fun reading this, I liked the author's take on a giant animal attack. I was amazed to read that this was the author's first novel, it was really well done. I look forward to more in the future from the author.
Rating 4/5

A coming of age story the entire family will love - this is written with clarity and magic that even very young readers will understand and appreciate for all of the values that Ms. Ugo teaches here. Lots of adventure for little Perry and which force him to make choices that may put his loved ones in peril. Keeps you on the edge of your seat to see if he has the courage within him to defeat the monster he didn't expect to encounter. A lovely fantasy depicting that even in the darkest of situations, choosing to be brave and face the monsters is the strongest asset you can have.
This is a really cool narrative with fascinating world-building, and lovable main characters. Unfortunately this book just moves far too quickly. It needs editing and revision. I think that with more care and time, this novel could become a really great one--but as of now it's not. HOWEVER I will say that I bet a lot of young readers (middle grade and younger) would really enjoy reading this story. It's easy to read, there are sea monsters, and the protagonist is a very relatable, awkward, shy young man.
I personally love middle-grade books. One of my favourite all time series is a middle grade series. With middle-grade books I just adore how easily the writing flows off the pages and how I don't really have to overthink things.

This book is about a boy named Perry Johnson. It starts off with Perry on his birthday, knowing he's about to take a test he will most likely fail. Turns out he's a Mewranter just like the rest of family. If you love sea monsters, birds and action filled fights this is definitely a book right for you.

I'm going to be honest though and say that this could've done better with more editing. Might have made the story much better in the end. Especially the fighting scene could've been longer and would've felt more realistic to me.

Also recently been in a bit of a reading slump but today is the day this book comes out so I wanted to finish it and review it so I quite literally pushed myself to read this one in like two days.
However, even with my slump I really enjoyed it and it's quite short so if you're into short books like me since I'm all over the place sometimes be sure to pick it up some time.
From the description of this book, I really thought that I would love it.  Unfortunately, I found the writing style to be very stilted and lacking detail.  There wasn't enough world building and the dialogue between the characters didn't seem realistic.  It felt more like an outline than an actual book which was very disappointing because it has such potential to be a great story.
I wanted to love this book.  It started off fantastic and completely sucked me in.  However, my excitement was premature, as it seemed to stall around the 15-20% point.  I think a few more rounds of editing could have elevated this story from mediocre to amazing as well as resolving some of the plot inconsistencies, grammatical errors, pacing and tone.
Mewranter is a story of Perry Johnson, who when wakes up on his 11th birthday knows something is going to happen, a ritual to be precise. A ritual about which he knows nothing but knows his siblings totally nailed whatever the ritual is. Being average for most of life Perry desperately wants to give his best in ritual. However, after ritual his life turns upside down.

I absolutely loved Mewranters. In terms of story, book was quite predictable but what made this book awesome was the universe building, it is not difficult to notice that author put great efforts in building this universe and his efforts were evident and flawless. I as a reader I need proper reasoning for everything that results in some kind of twist or turn and here I got perfect reasoning for every incident.

Perry Johnson is very relatable character, who is fedup being average. I particularly like the fact that here protagonist is a timid kid. He is scared and confused. He wanted to save the world but his life is in threat too. James is the only other character which I like.

Book was fast paced and author has successfully created a tension and suspense in story which will keep reader on edge wanting more. Although, there were few aspects of the story which according to me were not needed. I just hope there is a sequel as I really want to be a part of Perry Johnson's journey.
I Dont Usually Read Or Pick Up This Type Of Book But I Liked The Cover And Premise.

I Enjoyed The Ride And Kachi Ugo's Writing Style. Would Recommend To The Right Audience Forgot Sure.
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Mewranters was a fun read. There's people that turn into birds, a sea monster that attacks, and... that's pretty much it. I liked Mewranters because of the action and the middle-grade-esque plot, which isn't a bad thing; in fact, middle-grade is one of my favorite genres, so don't think of this as a bad thing. I liked this book; however, it was so short that I felt there could have been a lot more pumped into the story if it were even just 50 pages longer than it was. If there were more to this short novel, it would get four stars from me.

My biggest concern was the ending-- Mewranters spends its time leading up to the giant fight between Perry and the sea monster, and the climax starts and finishes in what seemed like ten pages. I was a little disappointed in the fight scene, but on the other hand, it's all written pretty well. The action is thoroughly described and the characters are developed well all throughout the story. I think that Mewranters' high point is the writing style, in fact.

The plot wasn't unique, but I still liked reading Mewranters: Attack of the Sea Monster. I would recommend this book, even if it's not one of the more popular middle-grade series. It has the same feel as them, though, and that's what made me enjoy it overall.