Cover Image: City of Dust

City of Dust

I really like this series and I love how this book built on the character development and mythology in the last. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this series will end!
City of Dust is the follow up to Book of Fire which for me was the perfect blend of history, mythology and science all set in a vividly imaginative dystopian setting. I originally thought that City of Dust would take place immediately after the catastrophic and emotionally crippling ending of Book of Fire…. oh no, Kenney has quite rightly mixed up the timeline so months and months have passed since the ending. However that meant I was missing one of my favourite characters for a little while, woe is me! This added just another layer of love and anticipation to the story, you get to catch up with characters to see how they’re faring and all the while yearning for the later chapters.
I really enjoyed reading this. It was very much an anticipated read of mine and having read another book by the same author I knew I needed to get my hands on this.

Whilst it wasn’t as good as the first this book really did have me hooked. I love the writing style and the character development just kept me hooked. I really did relate to the characters, I felt this helped me along the journey with the hook it kept me intrigued and wanting more.

My only criticism is that I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first but I honestly cannot put my finger on why this is. It potentially is because it took me a little bit longer to read as the first I just flew straight through in one sitting.

I cannot wait to read more from this author.

You can find my review for City of Dust here.

Kind regards,

April O'Sullivan
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with the ARC. I am so happy that I got to read this and will be reading the conclusion when it comes out! Great series!
Second in a series and I hadn’t read the first so I was a bit lost to begin with but I caught up eventually , worth the confusion because I loved this book, off to buy the first and read in the correct order now ! Can’t wait for the next, fast paced and interesting, great characters all round a good read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Great adventure, but for some reason, I didn't connect with the style as much as with the first book. This is a case of "it's not you, it's me," though, since the plot was brilliant and i can see well loved by others.

While with Book of Fire, I breezed through the pages, eager to know what happens next, with City of Dust I couldn't binge read because the writing was a little overly dense. Usually I don't pick up on this with books, but there was an overabundance of adverbs that made it hard to spend long periods of time reading it straight. Silly, I know. But it took me a month off and on to finish reading it. The proof of the great plot is that I didn't DNF' it: I just had to know what happens next!

I love Tal's growth since the first book, and Eli is so different, I love it. I wish there was most August, but I can see why he was kept out of a major part of it. once again there is a brilliant blending of Genetics and Rome, such a fantastic concept I need more of in my life.

So all in all, great story, but I didn't connect the way I did with book one. It's probably on me.
This is the second book in a series I did not realize this at first so it took me a while to work out what was going on. But it was interesting so i kept reading and  once I got into it, City of Dust kept me interested until the end.  Well worth reading
I love, love, loved this book and series in general. A great followup to Kenney's first book, City of Dust takes the readers back into the dystopian world, post doomsday Earth. I love the contrast between the two ideologies in the book, which gives young adult readers something to possibly compare real world political and ideological views against. It is written for youth, so the romance is appropriate for that age group, which might be a bit tedious for adult readers. The description level and world building is phenomenal.
City of Dust is the heartbreaking sequel to Book of Fire. Whilst a little slow in the beginning, the latter half of the book more than makes up for it. I love how true to both science and history the book is and will definitely be pre-ordering the final book of this trilogy!
This is the much anticipated sequel to Book of Fire which I read and loved last year. Tal is back in Arafel. She (and everyone else there) is struggling with the loss of her grandfather. She is with Max now, but her feelings are complicated because she still cares deeply for August. This gives us a great love triangle in this book, which is sometimes really awkward to read, and packed with feelings on all sides. I loved it. Aelia comes to Arafel to see Tal and takes something she shouldn’t, leading Tal to head back into Pantheon where some seriously dark things are happening. The Pantheon experiments and plans in this book chilled me to the bone; Cassius is a terrifying man. I loved the reappearance of Unus, who is still my absolute favourite character (although is someone wants to get their hands on a vampire bat for me, I wouldn’t turn it down) and I also really enjoyed the new character, Lake. City of Dust is a brilliant, fast-paced adventure with some serious twists and shocking betrayals. It kept me to on my toes from start to finish. A perfect sequel.
Such an amazing continuation of the series I breezed through it. It was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster though, but the ups and downs and twists and turns came together to make a stunning book that I couldn't put down.
This is an intriguing mix of typical YA dystopian fare alongside forerunners The Hunger Games and The Mazerunner, with a side helping of Greek and Roman mythology thrown into the mix via genetic moulding and tinkering.
Talia, struggling with the events of the first book, reaches new heights of adventure and self discovery alongside potential romantic partners - an action packed ride against a totalitarian enemy.
There is a lot to like in these books - they're easy read, and Talia is likable and well fleshed out. The world building is well constructed and there's obvious goals to achieve.
I think my main criticism is that this set of books is very of its genre. Its a little to reminiscent of all those that have come before, and has some tropes within that I can't stand - the love triangle for example. Whilst I get that young people often have their hearts pulled in different ways as they grow and mature, I still hate having two men rival each other for the main characters regard. It's just not for me.
I also found the mythology and heavy emphasis on the Roman theme a bit jarring against the Sci fi technological dystopia - although I can see exactly what the author intends, personally I did not find it meshing well.
Well recommended if you are a fan of the genre, a well written read.
If you're a more mature reader, you may find it a little too genre specific.
Characters
Talia is back on fighting form, with Max and her twin right at her side. The book jumps right back into Arafel life and brings with it a reunion of old friends and introduction of new players.
Talia continues to remain a character that will forever remain the perfect heroine that from the very start joined the ranks along with Katniss, Triss and Hermione. The impact of Book of Fire is clearly ingrained; she’s battle bruised and trying to keep her thoughts on track. It’s only really when she’s set on a new path that her strength is really propelled to the limelight.
While those who have given their hearts to August will have to wait patiently for his presence within the pages, it only gives you the opportunity to consider Max as a strong character and romantic partner for Talia. He’s Talia’s equal and not scared to show his annoyance. There was the briefest of minutes when I’d forgotten about August.

Story
The world building is as immersive as ever and will consume you completely. The description of the desolate streets are hauntingly beautiful. Aside from the characters, the world building is my favourite part of this series.
The story sees Tailia back in old territory and searching for a stolen item. However, it’s only the tip of the iceberg as the plot opens up to an exploration of eugenics of mythic proportions.
Readers will need to breath when they can, because as the story reaches its final act you won’t get opportunity to. It’s fast paced and epic showdown will leave your heart in your mouth. No one is safe and the fates of many will be left clinging to the edge of a shocking cliff when the final page comes around.

Writing
Just like meeting up with an old friend, the words envelope you in a comfortable hug. Just like Book of Fire, City of Dust contains a glossary for terms. However, the world is so beautifully written, and the action so carefully crafted that the words don’t need the glossary.
The only negative would be that it’s so good that it’s going to be a painful wait for the next instalment.
City of Dust is the second in a series of books by Michelle Kenney. I would advise if you are considering reading this books that you read the first book, Book of Fire, beforehand. I didn't, and it took me a while to work out what was going on. But I must say that once I got into it, City of Dust made for compulsive reading. I kept thinking 'I'll just read to the end of the chapter' and then the chapter would end on a massive cliffhanger and I would just have to keep ploughing on!

This book was like a cross between The Hunger Games and Greek mythology with a touch of Avatar thrown in for good measure. Firmly ensconsed in the Young Adult, Fantasy genre. I can see this appealing to a litany of Millenials.

Set in a dystopian future. Talia is one of the Outsiders. This colony is at one with nature and whilst they live hand to mouth they are generally happy, growing food and hunting. The Insiders on the others hand are a society where the elite rule over the many who are not just slaves, but have had their genes tampered with. They are engineered to serve.

At the beginning of the story Talia believes she has left the horrors of her fight against The elite Insiders (known as the Pantheon's) behind her. But someone from the Inside world arrives and steals an item that leads Talia and her friends on a quest to get it back. A quest that will lead them back to the very enemies that have been dogging Talia's nightmares for months and one from which there is no certainty of a safe return.

Whilst the story sounds dark, it is set around Talia and her friends. There were a whole host of feisty, determined and likeable characters in here. There was also a delightful melee of creatures from Greek myths and legends and monsters that I had encountered elsewhere. The Basilisk for example, I know what that is, I thought excitedly remembering Harry Potter book two of a couple of weeks ago.

I really enjoyed this book, perhaps not enough to go and read the first one and then find out what happens in the third one, but in itself it was a fast paced, thrilling adventure and I'm pleased that Net Galley gave me the opportunity to review it.