The Wolf and the Watchman

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Mar 2019

This is one of the best books I have read in the last few years. A historical thriller set in  Stockholm in the late 1700’s, the book is fascinating. Good from multiple points of view , it is a wonderful piece of historical,fiction, really real and different. Plus there is the element of mystery that keeps you glued to the page. The book is very very graphic and not for the faint of heart but life is like that. Just start reading it. After the first twenty or thirty pages you won’t stop. Trust me.
Can the Wolf and the Watchman solve this murder?

Winge and Cardell truly are great partners to unravel the murder of a man who was left mutilated and found dead in a bog. Don’t underestimate Winge with his skill of investigating murders even though he himself is about to be six feet underground. I was truly impressed that Winge dying in his deathbed was able to travel in the worst conditions to find out who the deceased person was and who murdered him? This book was so interesting, since I was trying to figure out who the dead man was? Who is the murderer? Will Winge survive to unravel the truth? Can Cardell while drunk survive the day, while putting his nose in the wrong places? Winge truly was impressive at the end of the story. Winge was able to turn the tables and make the man see that through all the hurt and fear he lived, at the end someone did care for him, even if it was just a little white lie. A terrible man pays for what they did but they also die feeling loved. The title was perfect for this book. Winge was a wolf until the very end.

Niklas did a profound job of creating a book that placed you at the year 1793, in Stockholm. It showed you how people lived and the things they would do to survive. He was so detailed that you can feel the torture that was imposed on the dead man that was found. You can feel the sadness, fear and the fight for survival of each character. This is a murder mystery that will keep you on your toes. I rated 4 out of 5 stars. Thanks, Atria Books for sending me a copy to review.
My feedback here is late to the party.  I enjoyed this book, but it was relatively forgettable.  I'd recommend it to others as a quick read.
I would like to thank Netgalley for sharing this unique book with me in exchange for a fair review.
Ok, so let's start with a confession. I should never have waited so long to write this review. I have no excuse, no explanation.  Just bad form on my part. on to the book
This book is both wonderful and brutal from nearly the very first page to nearly the very last. I do not like, and typically do not read book with graphic violence and brutality and this book has both in abundance. Let me be clear; this is not an easy read. The author has an  uncanny ability to make you connect with each of his characters, even the most awful.  The narrative is similarly engaging; at times confusing and seemingly disjointed, yet from the very beginning you have the powerful sense that MR. Natt och Dag will connect things in ways that will surprise, shock, and oddly satisfy you. Easy no, yet utterly compelling.
I had the unique experience of learning that while I was reading "The Wolf and the Watchman" by brother in Stockholm was reading 1973 (the Swedish title)!!! One more memorable experience from this truly memorable book
An excellent read! Thoroughly absorbing narrative and characters that drew me in and kept me turning those pages.
This book is probably the best historical thriller I have EVER read.  The characters forced to either love them or hate them.  And I loved them all.
This story follows two men, a semi-retired investigator and a watchman, as they try to solve a grisly murder.  Each man has their own story and the supporting characters are just as richly written.
The story is one that you will remember for a long time after reading.  I can't wait to read more by the author.
An amazing debut novel that mixes Scandinavian crime fiction with the historical novel to craft a story of greed, passion, power, and friendship that grips the reader from the first page. Dag's prose captures the nasty and brutish side of life in the 18th century wiping away the glossy and romantic view of the era.
Five reasons to read:

1.	Interesting writing style
2.	Very graphic, so make sure you're ready!
3.	Interesting concept- I found myself enthralled in the storyline.
4.	Interesting learning about Swedish history
5.	Character and plot twists were unexpected and also kept the pace quick
In 'The Wolf and the Watchman', an uneven translation and a balky start quickly turn into an oddly compelling read. Niklas Natt och Dag has strayed a bit - all the way into the 18th century - from the usual path of Scandinavian gory crime literature.

Set in Stockholm of the 1790s, a city awash in filth, corruption, depravity, a city 'watchman' discovers a mutilated corpse in one of the city's many backwash-filled waterways. Enter a consumptive brilliant private detective, a tolerably incorruptible chief of police, and a thoroughly decadent monied class and we have a compelling, brutal, grotesque and oddly readable murder mystery.

Natt och Dag is fond of the info-dump in some severely overwritten expository dialogue, and he telegraphs a predictable ending, which is nonetheless much welcome after so much grime.  All in all, a good summer read - if a bit long. Or a good read for a stormy night or three.
I would like to thank the publisher for giving me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed reading this!
The setting is absolutely fascinating and gives the book a very atmospheric feeling. However, the setting is also a bit of a drawback as the dialogue is so realistic to the time that it feels a bit stodgy and difficult to navigate for a modern reader. Very glad I read it, and I did enjoy it, but it was a bit more "work" than other books of its type.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC of this book.
A brutal and sickening thriller that compelled me to keep reading even though there were times I really wanted to put it aside. A Swedish historical thriller that contains torture and brutality That said, the books is very readable and the characters well developed. Not a read for the faint of heart.
This is a brutal but compelling thriller that transports you to 18th Century Sweden.with such an atmospheric setting. It is a gruesome story but well-written page-turning. I love Swedish books, some of my favorite authors have been from there and here is another to keep track of for future work.

#TheWolfAndTheWatchman #NetGalley
A sick and suspenseful murder mystery, where the actual murder isn’t the most disturbing part in the least. As clues are uncovered and psychological madness revealed, the depths of the victim’s depravity continues to sink.
This is not for the faint of heart. It may even take a little courage to continue reading, but Niklas’ richly portrayed characters and plot will keep you thinking and will tap you awake at night, cowering at the crimes committed.
Wolves as monsters wear many faces, and as motives are revealed, so too is the heart of these characters.
The Wolf And The Watchman takes place in the late 1700’s in and around Stockholm, Sweden. The tale begins with Mickel Cardell, a washed up watchman, who spends the majority of his spare time drinking or being drunk. He is awakened from a drunk stupor by some neighborhood children who start telling him about a body floating in the water. Thinking that the children have confused a large livestock animal for a human corpse, he is not prepared to find a mutilated corpse in the water. When the body is pulled from the river, the head of the police, puts Cecil Winge in charge of the investigation. Cecil is a determined investigator with a knack for finding the truth. Cecil has been struggling with Consumption for sometime, and is greatly weakened physically. He enlists the help of Mickel Cardell in seeking the identity of the victim and the identity of the person who put him there. They are working on borrowed time as Cecil’s health deteriorates and a bitter political feud within the corrupted police department threatens to end their investigation at any moment. The story is told in chapters the highlight the role of the investigators, the perpetrators, and an innocent girl named Anna Stina. The story unfolds to reveal the role each plays in the tale. The story is ripe with detail, and written in an authentic Middle Ages style. The story flows easily and is easy to read and understand. Novel should appeal to fans of the Alienist. A recommended read.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and write an honest review.

This is a historical novel of murder from the late 1700s in Stockholm.
Cecil Winge, the lawyer investigating, teams up with Mickel Cardell, the watchman that dragged the mutilated body from the polluted lake.
They attempt to solve the murder. Early in the book they learn how the body came to be in the lake. The information they pursue is the name of the victim and the reason for his mutilation. This takes them to some undesirable sites within the city. They meet some seedy characters both rich and poverty stricken. The middle section of the book relates the story of a woman that actually has very little to do with the rest of the book and its characters.
However, it adds more detail to the picture of what Europe must have been like at that time, filled with pollution, disease, poverty.

The author’s writing style is very readable. The characters are interesting and the author approaches the murder investigation from a new angle.
I was thoroughly absorbed in this grisly and cringe worthy historical mystery set in Stockholm in 1793. When a mutilated body washes ashore Mickell Cardell a former night watchman and Cecil Winge a lawyer are set on a path to try and find out the identity of the body and who killed him. This was a remarkable story and well thought out with a satisfying conclusion. Parts of the book are graphic and depraved but it is well worth reading and I enjoyed it immensely. Highly recommend!!!!!
This was a real dazzler of a read, at least for me. Eighteenth century Sweden is a fascinating place as described by the author. I love reading about this era! The author also uses great skill in creating an amazing cast of characters. Each is interesting and drew me into the book. This being a mystery, there is also an intriguing and multilayered plot that kept me focused and guessing. Each revealing fact was lain out just so and spectacular in detail and imagination. My only criticism is the vast number of characters that occasionally had me reviewing pages already read to remember them. There are some crude moments, and I would warn the squeamish reader to be prepared. Such was life in the 1700’s!
This one comes highly recommended for fans of Dickens and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It has a spellbinding plot and wonderful prose.
My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read and review this title.
I heard such great things about this novel, but unfortunately it just wasn't for me. I had a hard time connecting with the writing style and I wasn't crazy about the characters. I had to give up after about 200 pages. Thank you Atria and Netgalley for sending this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Wow! The Wolf and the Watchman is the most engrossing novel I’ve read in a while. I want to tell you that you should read it and you should, but only if you like historical mysteries and don’t mind some gruesomeness and brutality. It is not for everyone; it’s dark and disturbing and if it was a movie I would have had to cover my eyes. It’s also brilliant and I loved it.

Stockholm in 1793 seems a terrible place to live unless you’re rich. Crime, sickness, poverty, filth, corruption, rape, and death. Against this backdrop, two men with little to lose are on the hunt for a killer. Mikel Cardell, a former soldier with no family, no friends, one arm, and little money, pulls the mutilated body of a young dead man out of the lake. Cecil Winge, dying of consumption, takes the case in his position as consulting detective for the Stockholm police. Winge and Cardell are both interesting in their own rights. Both have tragic backstories, but the sense of duty to the dead man binds them together. As a team, they work well together, Winge is clearly the brains and Cardell the brawn, but each has his moment(s) to take on the other’s role.

In other parts of the city, Kristofer Blix wants to train as a surgeon but needs to make money in the meantime, and Anna-Stina has been confined to a workhouse run by a sadistic man, falsely accused of being a prostitute. The lives of these two will intersect with Winge and Cardell’s in surprising ways. The characters are gritty and believable, even if some, not the main four but others, are just terrible people. I found myself cringing several times, in fear for the people I liked, in disgust at what people can do to each other.

The plot twists and turns, and then it all pulls together in the end and every little thing along the has mattered. The author does an amazing job of pulling you in. It’s vivid and ugly and beautiful and fabulous.