Daisy Jones & The Six

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 May 2019

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it at first. I didn't love it and it was just kind of "meh" until about 3/4 of the way through. When everything came together, I sat in my car, listening and smiling. That's when I fell in love with Daisy Jones and the Six.

Taylor Jenkins Reid has never disappointed me with any of her books, and although I was a little skeptical when I first started Daisy Jones, I should have known that I would end up loving it.
Thank you @booksparks @randomhouse for the free @netgalley copy of Daisy Jones & the Six!

I was probably one of the last people to read Evelyn Hugo, because it didn’t fall into my usual genre and I was convinced it wasn’t for me. Obviously I was wrong and it’s amazing. So when I heard about Daisy Jones I was all over the place trying to get my hands on an early copy. Courtney over @booksparks made my dreams come true when she granted me access to a netgalley copy. It usually takes me forever to read on my iPad and I tend to start ARCs about two days before pub day (because procrastination). Not this time. Daisy Jones & the Six comes out in March and I read it as soon as I got it in November and flew right through it.

It was everything I hoped it would be and more. I don’t think I’ve ever finished a book and immediately wanted to read it again—until now. I’ll definitely be rereading it in March and I already preordered the gorgeous signed edition from @goldsborobooks. I can’t wait to have my hands on that copy!

Daisy Jones was written entirely in interview format. You would think it might be difficult for a story to flow with nothing but dialogue, but TJR is an absolute genius with the written word and I will never doubt her again. The characters felt so incredibly real that I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn’t about a real band.

Mark you calendar and TBR for March 5th!
It took me a while to really get into this book because of the interview style format. I also had to keep reminding myself who some of the other characters/band members were. Once I really got into the story, I was able to breeze through the rest of the book because I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Daisy Jones and the Six. All in all, I really enjoyed the book but would have liked some narration to get to know the characters better.
Daisy Jones & The Six is one of the best books I've read this year. Not only did it feel like I was reading about a real band and the trials and tribulations they went through, but it also made me feel like I was reading/watching these people's private lives play out in front of me. The emotional range I went through while reading was just plain crazy. I rooted for Daisy Jones and the other members of the band, but I also started to get frustrated with the choices being made and how little regard they had for each other when making those choices. All in all, Daisy Jones was a crazy journey through the world of rock and roll, but an emotional journey through the lives of people just trying to do what they love--make music.
Daisy Jones and the Six is one of those novels that makes you feel like you’re reading a true story. Told through a series of interviews, the book reads like you are watching a Rolling Stone rockumentary. Daisy Jones is a free spirit rock groupie who teams up with the rock group The Six to record an album and tour. The world of rock ‘n’ roll in the ‘70’s is a haze of sex, drugs, groupies, and rehab. A really fun read, this has become my most recommended book of the year so far. Thank you #NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
Daisy Jones and The Six is a book version of VH1's Behind the Music. I love that Taylor Jenkins Reid gave it such a creative format but ... yup, sorry there is a but ... I wish it had been a combination of interview and story. Mainly because it became a bit repetitive for me. Compared to Evelyn Hugo (my favorite TJR book and read it if you haven't already), the characters became a bit one-note, because beyond what they were willing to say about themselves or each other - we didn't really get to "know" them from a non-biased point of view. I didn't feel as strong as connection to them, so the story didn't linger and maintain a hold on me after reading it. For me, this was a strong like book, while many of my friends loved it. Read it and see where you land.
Honestly, I struggled with the format of this book. Told from at least five different narrators, the flow of this book was incredibly choppy. I hate that I feel this way, because I LOVED Ms. Jenkins-Reid's The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I will definitely read more from Ms. Jenkins-Reid, but I just did not connect with this one as much.
The concept of this novel is intriguing. Interviews, with each character being a bit unreliable in their vulnerability, string together the rise and fall of The Six. Along with their brief arrangement with the sublime Daisy Jones. The character's vulnerability is what makes this story so emotionally cutting. Their passion is what gives hope to an otherwise sad book. There's never been a more perfect beach or pool read.
A very unique, well thought out book. I enjoyed this story very much and thought the oral history style of the book was a nice touch. I was invested in the characters. They felt like real people. I look forward to what this author writes next.
Quick read! The book is in the format of interviews, so it was a page turner. The book made me sad I missed out on the 1970s!
I Loved this book so much! I love how Taylor Jenkins Reid makes you believe this book is really a memoir rather than a book of fiction!
I loved this!!  The style in which Reid wrote this worked so well. The interviews were fantastic and the story of how Daisy Jones and The Six came to be was brilliant. Readers get a glimpse into how bands and the music industry works.

I especially liked how it ended. The way Reid wrapped things up came full circle, which made me fall in love with the characters again.
In the 1970s, Daisy Jones and the Six was one of the most popular bands ever... until their abrupt break up. Speculation was rampant, but no one knew the real reasons why until this inside, tell-all look at the band.

Lead singers, Billy and Daisy, were both forces to be reckoned with, but Daisy refused to be told what to do.

“I was just supposed to be the inspiration for some man’s great idea. I had absolutely no interest in being somebody else's muse. I am not a muse. I am the somebody.” - Daisy Jones

I was duly impressed by this undertaking and cannot even imagine the amount of research involved. I could have done without all of the drug use, but obviously that was a huge part of the rock 'n roll scene.

“Acceptance is a powerful drug, and I should know because I’ve done them all.” - Daisy Jones

Lastly, I am so glad I waited for the audiobook version of this book and cannot say enough good things about it! It was like listening to a real documentary about a real life band. I absolutely loved that there were different narrators for each of the characters, and not just different voices by the same narrator.

Location: California and worldwide tour

Audiobook

I received an advance copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
One of my new favorite books! This author has such a way with words the pages flew by in no time! I can’t wait to see the next work by this author! This was such a joy to read!
Like so many others, I enjoyed this book immensely, though not quite as much as Reid’s previous book, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
If you’ve read other reviews of this book, you know that Daisy Jones and the Six (the band) is loosely based on Fleetwood Mac, and the relationships among its members.  The story in this book takes place years after the band broke up, with each member telling the story as they remember it – and their memories sometimes contradict one another.
Which parts did I like?  The interview format felt like a conversation, which filled the characters with life.  Each of them felt real, struggling with the desire to express themselves creatively, in the midst of complicated relationships with the rest of the band members.  Each character also had ethical dilemmas about choosing to put themselves first at times.  Do you do what’s best for your own career, or for the longevity of the band?  The romantic relationships and sexual tension between band members helped make it a page-turner.
Which parts did I dislike?  It may make me sound like a lazy reader, but ... too many characters.  In addition to Daisy and the other six band members, we have various record producers, sound engineers, tour managers, etc. adding their two cents to the story, and each of these characters has a name and backstory.  Each of them have their own lines in the interview transcript.  I became confused at times about who was who.  In the end I decided it didn’t matter, and when a non-band member was “speaking,” I just classified them as a peripheral person.
Verdict?  It’s a fun, page-turning read that captures a moment in time, a rock band at the height of their popularity, along with the events that caused them to eventually fall from the charts.  A brief epilogue tells the reader what each of these characters is doing “today.”  And the song titles and lyrics felt real.
Recommended.
My big critique for Reid's last book was that she tended to tell not show. Hilariously, this book is structured as an oral history: it is literally all tell. This change in format certainly works in Reid's favour, but I still didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to.

Unfortunately, Reid's characters don't quite jump off the page to make the oral history schtick a real success. Other characters react to Daisy like a Mary Sue -- she's so beautiful, everyone turns and drools when she appears; she's so stylish, designers practically trample each other to drape her in couture; her voice is so perfect -- and yet she's untrained! -- that it sounds like angels are trumpeting the voice of God.

Okay, fine.

But that lack of show means her characters are flat. Daisy rambles at length about what a mess of an addict she was, but you never actually feel the sadness and desperation that lead her to a handful of dolls. You never really believe that there's a high that masks that. She just ... tells you it's there.

Regardless, this book is hella readable and fun.
For people who think this will be like Taylor Jenkins Reid's other books, it is not.. It is full of characters that you will either like or hate. I found myself on the fence with this one. I do think it would make a great Netflix movie..
All the stars in the world!!!

” When you look in the mirror
Take stock of your soul
And when you hear my voice,
remember
You ruined me whole “

Daisy Jones & The Six just became one of my top favorite reads I have EVER read. I’ve never read anything like it and I’m damn sure there’s nothing, out in the world, like it either. Taylor Jenkins Reid, I am forever your fan!
What a treat!!! As a lover of late 1970s rock and roll, this was a great way to re-live a great period of my youth. Taylor Jenkins Reid’s characters are the musicians that we think we knew, the music production and concert scenes gave me an experience of deja
Taylor Jenkins Reid does it again and in a completely new way. She never fails to impress with her character dynamics and creative story telling. I really enjoyed Daisy's story and can't wait to experience it all over again on audio!