Daisy Jones & The Six

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 May 2019

I really wanted to love this book, and I've heard so many great things about it. Taylor Jenkins Reid is one of my favorite authors, but I just could not get into this book. I think it would have worked better for me if it was told in Daisy's POV instead of just interviews. It was nice learning about her childhood and her other bandmates. I just think this wasn't the right type of book for me.
I am a huge fan of rock and roll and with this book Taylor Jenkins Reid throws the reader right in the middle of being in a 70s rock band. Was the author in a band?? Sure it was a little over the top and the topics (addiction) were a bit "heavy" but it was fun and fast read - just like an amazing album,
I'm pretty sure that anyone who's read Taylor Jenkins Reid loves her books. They're both fun and clever, and perfect for any other occasion. The book before this one, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, is probably my favorite (old Hollywood! family secrets!) but this is a very close second.

It's written like an oral history and it really does feel that way. Like with Evelyn Hugo, most readers will feel like these are legitimately famous people, ones that we grew up watching or, in this case, singing along with on the radio.

Parts of this story are actually devastating. It's not always easy or fun to read, and many of the people within its pages are self-destructive in heartbreaking ways. That obviously only adds to the realism factor; we've all seen this story play out a dozen different times on those VH1 and MTV documentary series (or in the pages of checkout stand magazines).

This book is amazing and you should read it and you should make every actively literate friend you have read it.
Overall I liked the book. I think the format is where I struggled. While I liked the idea of interview format, and I liked the differing views of the same event/time period, I felt it left a lot to be desired for the secondary characters. The main characters I really got to know, but unfortunately with the secondary characters I was half way through and still trying to figure out who was who. Despite that Daisy Jones & the Six kept me reading.
In this novelized version of VH1's "Behind the Music", we get a peek at a rock phenomenon -- a best-selling rock and roll band. The storyline and characterizations were so real, I had to take a closer look to realize it was a novel, not a biography.

Told in an interview format, alternating voices of Daisy and the rest of the band members, readers get a look inside life in the early to mid 1970s in LA, Hollywood, and Laurel Canyon which was a breeding ground for the "sex, drugs, and rock & roll" culture. Although it's pretty clear that Daisy and the band will implode at some point, the well constructed storyline (revealed in brief comments from the participants) is so captivating and so carefully and slowly uncovered I could not put it down.

A fun book for teen and young adult readers who want to learn something about the rock & roll culture and for older readers who remember The Doors and Janis Joplin and want to relive those "glory days". Well-written and intriguing. Very enjoyable.

BTW: I was amazed that despite the topic and time period there was not more profanity and sexual content. It's not glossed over, just not over the top. This would certainly be suitable for teens and YA readers.
Couldn't put this book down. Read it in two days. Characters bright me into the seventies. Fell in love with daisy. Almost a love story
I think this book will be hugely appealing for a lot of people-I have friends who follow bands and I think this book will be a huge hit with them.  That said, I am not a huge music fan and this book just didn't capture my interest. I loved her previous work about the fictional actress Evelyn Hugo, and the writing is just as sharp in this book but I just wasn't that interested in Daisy Jones and her band.  The format of the book, told in interviews, was very clever.
"It was about drugs and sex and love and denial and a whole mess of stuff." That line describes a song in the book, but it's also a pretty accurate description of the book itself. While there were parts I found very interesting (the producing of the album and how it's changed from recording to editing), I, unfortunately, did not feel a connection with any of the characters.

Because, I absolutely loved The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, I will continue picking up whatever Taylor Jenkins Reid writes.
This is simply a book not to be missed. I started Daisy Jones and The Six expecting another solid read, as a long time fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid. My expectations were blown out of the water!

The story chronicles the rise to fame for The Six, a rock band in the 1970's. Already making a name in the music scene, the band partners with singer/songwriter Daisy Jones and rockets to the top of the charts. Beyond the music, there are parties, trysts, drugs and feuds. All the makings of a truly excellent tabloid material.

This is the most original work of fiction I have read in years. Written in a journalistic style, interviewing band members and other parties, I had to keep reminding myself this wasn't based on a real band.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the opportunity to review an early copy of this spectacular novel. All opinions are my own.
I was unable to finish this title and thus will not be posting a full review on my blog.  This book did not suck me in and was very difficult to read.  I'm sure that the method in which this was written via interview/oral history will work for some but it just bored me and felt insubstantial.  Thanks for considering me for review of this title.
Is there anyone in their 60s or older that doesn’t see the cover for this book, read the summary and doesn’t immediately think of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac?

Reid does a great job capturing that sense of stardom; the sex, drugs and rock n roll.

I love how this book is written, as if it is a history of an actual band, as if it’s a compilation of interviews with everyone involved. It was wild to see how different things said or done were misinterpreted or remembered differently by others.  I had to keep reminding myself it wasn’t based on a real group, the characters just seemed that real. It will be fascinating to see how the mini-series, being produced by Reese Witherspoon for Amazon plays out.

This is a super fast read and an engrossing one.  I enjoyed The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo,  but I really loved this.  Billy’s comment “Drinking, drugging, sleeping around, it’s all the same thing, you have this line you won’t cross.  But then you cross them.  And suddenly you possess the very dangerous information that you can break the rule and the world won’t instantly come to an end.”  Reid really made me feel the different addiction problems that first Billy and then Daisy faced, including the fight to stay sober.

It also took me back to the sexual discrimination that was just accepted back in the day.  We all felt we just had to deal with it.  I loved that Daisy didn’t; how she was able to ignore the “rules”.

“I am not a muse.

I am a somebody.

End of fucking story.”

And yes, I realize I’m gushing, but… when Reid is writing about how Daisy and Billy wrote their songs together, it made me think of all the great songwriting duos, like McCartney and Lennon.  And the dynamics of the band brought back to mind all the stories of band breakups from my youth.  Reid really captured the egos and the tensions rubbing against the desire to be famous and rich.  And kudos, TJR, for actually writing complete songs and including them in the back of the book.

Trust me, this is one you want to read.  It’s going to be one of the most talked about books of the spring.

My thanks to netgalley and Random House for an advance copy of this book.
Daisy is a girl coming of age in L.A. in the late sixties, sneaking into clubs on the Sunset Strip, sleeping with rock stars, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go Go. The sex and drugs are thrilling, but it’s the rock ’n’ roll she loves most. By the time she’s twenty, her voice is getting noticed, and she has the kind of heedless beauty that makes people do crazy things.

Also getting noticed is The Six, a band led by the brooding Billy Dunne. On the eve of their first tour, his girlfriend Camila finds out she’s pregnant, and with the pressure of impending fatherhood and fame, Billy goes a little wild on the road.

Daisy and Billy cross paths when a producer realizes that the key to supercharged success is to put the two together. What happens next will become the stuff of legend.

My Thoughts: There was something serendipitous about the joining of Billy Dunne and his band together with Daisy Jones, a Hollywood girl who seems undisciplined, but who has the spirit of rock ‘n’ roll coming out of her pores.

Mixing these two performers had its problems…they each wanted to do everything their own way. How they managed to make it all work was interesting. But would they keep going indefinitely, or would their basic differences split them apart?

Reading the tale of how the band came together, and how they made it all work—for a while—was fascinating, but also a little challenging, as the writing style of a series of interviews felt more like a play and I had to keep checking to see whose narrative I was reading. The flow felt awkward, but I kept going because the story was one I wanted to follow. I love the 70s and the music from that time.

Toward the end of Daisy Jones and the Six, the story smoothed out for me and I enjoyed discovering what happened to the band and its members. 4.0 stars.***My e-ARC came from the publisher via NetGalley.

I've spent a long time considering what to say about this book. Maybe it was all the hype and 5-star reviews or the fact that I've loved all of TJR's other books, but this one didn't quite work for me. I enjoyed the interview format because it felt like a music documentary, but I think it left me feeling disconnected from some of the minor characters. TJR did an amazing job making the lead characters come to life and I constantly wanted to look them up to see pictures before I remembered they weren't real after all. Maybe this book wasn't for me or it was a case of the right book at the wrong time, but I'm still glad I read it.
Belated #finishedbookfriday DAISY JONES & THE SIX. It was one of those books that makes you wish you wrote it. It’s done completely in the style of a documentary with each character remembering and looking back on their wild ride to stardom in a 70s rock band. I listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac while reading, the rock n’ roll drama made me wish this was a real band. I hear it’s going to be made into an @amazonprimevideo mini-series (which it is perfect for!) thanks for a great read @tjenkinsreid and @randomhouse
I will say it took me a little bit to get into it, but the further I got, the more intrigued I became. And then towards the end with basically 2 different plot twists, I wanted more. I didn't want it to end.

This book is about a band and their struggles of becoming the hottest band. It's raw and it's real and I honestly looked up to make sure the band was fiction and not someone I had never heard of. I appreciate TJK's look into what life as a Rockstar is probably like. (and not a life I would want haha)
I couldn't put Daisy Jones and the Six down! OMG !!! It's so good. I had to slow myself down from reading it because I wanted to savor it so much.

I wish that Daisy Jones and the Six were real. I want to go to one of their concerts, listen to their albums and just become a fangirl of Daisy. I did though become a fangirl of Taylor Jenkins Reid. :)

Well I really did become a fangirl of Daisy.

I loved how Taylor Jenkins Reid made it feel real. She takes you through a journey of people who knew Daisy Jones and the Six and made them up. Wow! I love the oral history transcript of the whole book. It kept my attention and I wanted more. Oh my goodness I wanted more. It's like going back to the VH1 Behind the Music and learning about Daisy Jones and the Six.

You get the love, sex and drugs. The triumphs, the heartbreaks and oh the drama. It well represents the 70s!
Let me preface this review with the fact that I am not a huge music fan. I listen to books, not songs. Yet this tale of a 1970's rock band is an obsessive page-turner. Reid pulls us in through her unique plot design - documentary style as she 'interviews' the band, family members, and managers to tell the tale of how this rock band hit it big. Her characters are shockingly well-developed, considering we only get to know them through their conversations with the documentarian asking the questions: the handsome hunk of a lead singer, his addictions and drive steering the wheel at all times; the young singer, wealthy, off-the-rails, driven; the sidekick brother who never gets the girl; the disgruntled bass player; the sassy drummer; the independent, knows-what-she wants key boardist; the supportive wife; the stressed-out manager. This cast of characters is unique and utterly fascinating. One can see the train wreck coming and it just does not matter. This book is a winner:)
DNF @ 44%

I wanted to love this one. The format takes some getting used to. It's told as if they pieced together everyone's interviews for this tell all about the band The Six. There was no dialogue between characters and it felt choppy at times.   It didn't pull me in and I had to force myself to get as far as I did. The cover, though, is gorgeous.
Many thanks to BookSparks, Atria Books, and Netgalley for the chance to read this book in advance.

This book is cool.

Bottom line, just cool. Classic Rock is my favorite musical genre. It’s nostalgic, I grew up listening to Heart, Foreigner, Pat Benatar, and Fleetwood Mac, among others. Even today, songs by these artists never get old. I have always felt as if I should have been a teenager in the ’70s or ’80s because the lifestyle, clothing, and music appeals to me greater than the modern world often does. The generation of my parents fits me better than my own. Daisy Jones and the Six completely transported me to this time period in a way I reveled in.

This book exhibits just how uniquely talented Taylor Jenkins Reid is. She was able to make something from nothing and make it feel as if it truly happened – something all writers hope to do, but few are able to accomplish. I found myself itching to look up the songs and photographs described in this book to see them myself, only to feel the weight of disappointment when I remembered the characters weren’t real. Instead, I pictured Fleetwood Mac and after finishing the novel, it seems to be a likely comparison. I think it’s fair to say the group inspired aspects of this story.

Told from the characters as they reflected on the past through the medium of an author’s interview, this story allows readers to view the fictional events the band endured through multiple perspectives. Reid makes the characters lifelike in minute moments, through only a few sentences at a time. Daisy comes across as wild, reckless, and out of control, yet everyone, readers included are drawn to her like moth to flame. Billy is the guy we can’t help but root for – he’s kind of a jerk but likable because he doesn’t intend to be a jerk. Then there are the lesser band members, who are able to give details as they really happened, without a filter of emotion or denial because they were doing their own thing in the background. Every character adds a new layer to a cohesive story written, most impressively, in this unique interview form. I’m awestruck by the talent it took to come up with this and achieve something akin to a VH1 Behind the Music show.

While this story was a slow read for me because I always had to make sure I knew who was narrating at the precise moment, I couldn’t help but be in a bit of a trance. I felt like I was enveloped in the brown and yellow-tinged world of the 1970s – sex, drugs, rock n roll, and all that jazz. I was emotionally invested in the characters and rooting for them in ways I never expected to. There are so many lines I highlighted and wish I could share! One of the greatest things I admire about Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing is her ability to make me question my own ideas. She writes with such a stunning view of humanity, showing in great detail the reasons behind the characters’ actions. It makes me able to view gray areas with more empathy and understanding. I enjoy questioning my conclusions about everything from lifestyle choices to moral beliefs. I think if we never question ourselves, we can never truly know why and what we stand for. Taylor’s writing allows me to do that in a visceral way, something I’ve come to appreciate, whether I agree with everything her characters do or not.

I’m happy to add my review to the hype and hope many other readers enjoy this book as much as I did. The ending even had me shedding a few tears. Pick up your copy on March 5th!
Very unusual format in that it was only interviews! I figured out the slight “twist” pretty early on and honestly I don’t think was needed. It was a great look into being in a band, being a family and the ‘70s and ‘80s music scene. Highly recommend.