Becoming Starlight

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Aug 2019

Becoming Starlight by Sharon Prentice

I am not sure what to think about this book.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am supposed to like it...but there's a part of me that feels like I just read the new age version of the Notebook.

Don't get me wrong. It's well-written. It's a beautiful love story with an unfortunate ending. Prentice is raw with her words. She delves deeply into her pain and her anger and her sadness. She makes no excuses for the avoidance of her grief and how that interfered with her life.

But that jaded part of me can't get over the idea that she is romanticizing the past a little to honor her dead husband. which is completely a writer's trope and one that I have used myself. So, I can't be mad.

I originally picked up this book because it claims to be an account of a Shared Death Experience (SDE) and the phenomenon as a whole. However, it's more an autobiography about one woman's journey of dealing with the death of her daughter and then the subsequent death of her husband. (That isn't a spoiler. It's pretty clear at the beginning of the book what is going to happen.)

In the end, Prentice does find her redemption through a shared death experience that changes the way she views mortality. It gives her insight into what the other side looks like and helps her reconnect to her own self and her version of God.

Although her experience was profound I am not sure if I learned anything about SDEs. I was hoping for a more objective look at the phenomenon and its effect on the human experience. I guess I got that in a way. Just not in the way I expected.

I would recommend this book if you like to read about personal accounts. Or if you are struggling with grief. Or your own spirituality.

I give it 3.5 stars.

***This review was posted in my 2 Facebook groups and my newsletter***
There are no words for how good this book is.  Sharon's story is amazing and I am so happy she took Wayne Dyer's advice and wrote it for everyone.  She will touch many lives with this book and I feel honored to have read it.
What a beautiful reading experience! I am not a religious person but I would consider myself spiritual and this brought me to tears on a number of occasions. While there is talk of God, it's a more generic God which is good because it didn't feel overly preachy to me.

Becoming Starlight would be a good gift for someone struggling with the very questions discussed in its' pages. Is there more to this than just our mortal lives on earth? Is there a "heaven"? Should we fear death? For people open to the spiritual, it would be a reassuring read and could provide great comfort, especially while grieving the loss of a loved one.

Thank you, NetGalley for this e-book in exchange for my honest review!
"Becoming Starlight" is a great redemption story. Sharon describes her descent into a horrible, cruel and thoroughly undeserved world of hurt. Suffering illness and loss at an age when one's hopes and dreams should be flourishing rather than being trampled on by a seemingly blind and malevolent fate. It's a very personal account and the somewhat naive tone of the writing is a help not a hindrance. I think it may have been Truman Capote who said that the first three rules of editing are "cut, cut, cut" and I think this story may have benefitted from that advice. That said, the book is fairly short and does offer many pearls of wisdom regarding the "gifts" which extreme hardship may confer on a life when one sees the light, or, in this case, the Starlight. Much of the wisdom is Sharon's own but it is augmented by the quotes of many other 'lightworkers'; the product of the extensive study and research which she has undertaken. The Shared Death Experience is difficult terrain to cover if you feel you're writing for those who have not been there. Sharon has done a great job of that. Those who have been there, and there are millions of us, will understand immediately and easily. Nice work.
I was given an advance copy of this book for an honest review.

I thought the story was truly wonderful and beautifully written. I would definitely recommend this read to others. Can’t wait to see what the author does next.
Do you ever have a book that just slaps you wide awake spiritually when you are least expecting it? Becoming Starlight did just that for me. I fell in love with the cover first. My favorite colors are blue and purple, so my eyes naturally were drawn to it, to find out what it was about.

I’ve only read a few books on NDE and had never heard of SDE (side death experience). An SDE is where a loved one experiences death alongside the person whose passing, where they go out of their body and go along with the person whose passed away, but only to a certain point, then the person experiencing the SDE returns back to their body in the physical realm. This memoir of this women’s SDE experience took me on the spiritual ride of my life.

Mrs. Prentice talks about how she met her husband, Steve and how her first introduction with death was the passing of their daughter, Stephanie. Her description of grief that deep and raw is palpable. Mrs. Prentice discusses how in that deep of grief she tuns out everything, but her anger and rage at God for not saving Stephanie. If you’ve ever been furious with God you’ll be able to relate to her pure hatred.

This would not be Mrs. Prentice’s only reason to be angry at God. Steve gets sick and the doctors for the longest time can’t figure out what’s wrong.

This is Mrs. Prentice’s memoir of dealing with her anger, rage and hate at God for what He throws at her. She keeps her emotions stuffed down until the moment she doesn’t want to have to ever experience. Steve passes. Her anguish unleashes in the hospital where she has an SDE, supernatural experience. This experience throws her for a loop and is outside her traditional Christian comfort zone. What Mrs. Prentice experiences is life changing.

This book was eye opening for me. The things that the author experienced and shares just clicked with me. I had a few, “Ah ha,” moments and I highlighted a lot. I definitely want to buy a physical copy, so that I can highlight and make notes. I don’t know how I’d react if I got to go alongside a loved one whose died and see them after the fact. It would be comforting to see they are still alive in some form you recognize them in, but still a unique experience.

If you are needing a book to think outside the traditional Christian box then this book is the perfect read for you. Did the author’s experience rekindle her faith? Have you ever had a night of The soul experience? Do you ever question what you were taught about God? Have you had an NDE or SDE experience? Read this book to find out more.

I received a complimentary digital ARC copy of Becoming Starlight by Sharon Prentice Prentice from Waterside Press, care of NetGalley. The reviews expressed here are mine only. This book is one you are going to want to highlight, dog ear (gasp), get coffee stains on from reading it multiple times, etc
Becoming Starlight by author Sharon Prentice, Ph.D., is the story and a wonderful explanation of the spiritual experience of a Shared Death Experience. I can hardly believe this is the authors first published book. It is very well written with a feeling of honesty and a depth of knowledge regarding her faith. Sharon's world and faith were shattered by an event which crushed her spirit. Later, her husband became ill and suffered through misdiagnosis for his condition. Once I started reading this book, I could not stop. There are so many rich nuggets of shared truths about accepting God and his love. No, it is not a "preachy' book, but if you have ever asked questions such as "Is God really out there?" or Does God really care about me?" then I think you will find the authors gentle guidance a breath of fresh air.
As I read about the SDE as her spirit joined her husband as he was dying, I could not help by shed tears.  I could only imagine the wonder of such a magnificent feeling and the wondrous glimpse of beauty beyond the scope of our earthly lives. The author explains she did not understand what was happening but knew immediately she had been allowed to experience a spiritual awakening which would turn her life around.
Just his week my mom who is in Hospice care and has limited time left, told me she had seen the face of her brother that morning. She told me he looked into her eyes and then was gone. I nearly broke down because I could not tell her that at that same time her only brother had been taken off life support. She did not know he had a heart attack and never recovered. They live 300 miles apart. Was that an SDE? I don't know, but I do believe the spirit of a soul has an energy of its own. God allows unusual experiences at times in order to encourage people, I think. I will be purchasing this book for my sisters this year.
Publication Date: May 8, 2018
This was a beautiful story. I found it hard to put down. It is one I will definitely read again.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.