Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

Barbour Publishing, Inc.

Shiloh Run Press

Christian , Historical Fiction

Pub Date 01 Dec 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Woman of Courage through Barbour Publishing, Inc/Shiloh Run Press and Netgalley:

This book will take us back to the 1830’s and on a three thousand mile journey with Amanda Pearson as she leaves the disgrace of her broken engagement as she decides to joins the works of a Quaker mission in the western wilds. The trip is full of dangers, leaving Amanda near death before reaching her destination.

Among the people Amanda meets is an Indian woman who becomes her first convert and a half Indian Trapper who is seemingly her worst critic.

Love ends up following her into the wilderness and will determine the course of her future.

Included in this edition is Woman of Hope is Little Fawn’s story raised as an orphan by a living white couple, Little Fawn always felt like something was missing from her life. She longs to take the news of Jesus to the Nez Perce Indians but despite being a missionary herself Little Fawn’s Mother forbids it.

I give Woman of Courage five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s quite an eye opener into the life that many missionaries lived years ago as they traveled the wilderness sharing God’s love to the indigenous people. I look forward to reading more in this new series.
Woman of Courage is a historical fiction novel by author Wanda E Brunstetter. I read an ARC of this novel, the publish date was December 1, 2018. (I am a bit late reading it).

My favorite character was 22-year-old Amanda Pearson, whose mother died giving birth to her. Amanda wanted to keep her promise to her dad and go to Oregon Territory to share the Word of God with the Nez Perce’ Indians.

It humored me that no matter how many times Harvey Hanson asked Amanda to say you instead of thou or thee she just couldn’t help herself. Harvey wanted her to talk like a normal person so he could understand her. One day after lightning struck, killing both Harvey and his horse, Amanda was alone in the wilderness on the way to Oregon Territory.

My favorite quote is a prayer, “Dear God, please give me the strength and courage I need for this day. Be with me and calm my anxious heart as I continue this journey.” (p. 45 – this quote may not be in the published version).

The author did an exceptional job writing about the everyday challenges of living in the wilderness along the Oregon Trail. The plan of salvation is explained by the Bible (Romans 10:9).

Even though this novel has close to 400 pages it is fast-paced and kept me reading throughout the day. Did this novel meet my expectations? As much as I enjoyed the novel I was disturbed that the question of whether the Indian’s Great Spirit was the same as God kept coming up. I do not believe that the Great Spirit is the same as God. Once it was mentioned to the Indians that now that they are Christians they need to refer to God as God and not Great Spirit. As a whole, I enjoyed the novel.

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
Despite what I felt was uninspired writing, this tale did become readable due to its character development later in the novel. As a Quaker, Amanda Pearson seems to feel the need to travel to the western wilderness of America, perhaps to help convert others to her Christian faith, encountering unimaginable terrors on the way. Rescued by a native woman in a remote cabin, she starts to become aware of other lifestyles than hers, and perhaps will find a partner eventually.
Wanda Brunstetter did it again!  I can't wait to read any of her books.

This story was about Amanda and her determination to reach her destination.  Amanda was on a journey of discovery.  She was on a mission.

The book was titled Woman of Courage.  Amanda, her friend - Yellow Bird and Little Fawn were women of courage.  Their courage came from God.

Joshua 1:9 English Standard Version (ESV)

9 Have I not commanded you? A)" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; top: 0px; vertical-align: top;">Be strong and courageous. B)" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; top: 0px; vertical-align: top;">Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Their faith gave them strength.  Their strength gave them courage. Their courage gave them the ability to continue their journey through difficulties and sadness.

I loved the book.  This edition was a Collector's Edition as it continues the story of Little Fawn.  I want to read more about Little Fawn and her journey.

Thank you, Wanda Brunstetter, for another treat.  I finished this book on a cold, brisk day. The temperature might be -4 outside but my heart is warm with the message  it gave  to me!
As a longtime fan of Wanda Brustetter, I was so happy to see a new book by her!  Generally her books are about the Amish, but in this one, the main character is Quaker.
The year is 1837 and Amanda Pearson thinks her life is all planned out.  The eve before her wedding, her betrothed comes to her house to break off their engagement.  It seems he has been seeing, and fallen in love with Amanda's best friend.
Heartbroken and wanting a new start, she and her father leave New York to help missionary friends minister to the Nez' Perce Indians.  The journey is hard and very long.  They have hired a guide to take them there.  It is a very difficult journey and her father passes away on the trail.  Amanda has a love for the Lord and feels the urge to teach the Indians at the mission about Him.  She convinces the guide to continue travels.  Amanda discovers that she is stronger and tougher than she thought.
There are several characters in this story and the author did a wonderful job of making them all come alive!  Wonderful writing and imagination went into this story!
I also loved the addition at the end (in fact, I almost missed it) with Little Fawn's story.  It would have been a shame to have missed out on that.  She has the faith and determination of her adoptive mother.  That's all I'm going to say about that so as not to spoil the story for those who haven't yet read it.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley and Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.

by Wanda E. Brunstetter

Author Wanda E. Brunstetter is best known for her fiction books about the Amish. In Woman of Courage, she departs from that focus to write a work of historical fiction whose main character is a Quaker. Amanda Pearson, rejected by her fiancé in New York in 1837, decides to move across the continent to join a missionary couple ministering to the Nez Percé Indians in the Oregon Territory. The first part of her journey is by steamboats and then wagon. At Fort Laramie, she and her father meet up with the guide who is hired to take them the rest of the way by horseback.

Amanda is unprepared for the adventures to come, but she proves to be resilient, courageous, and of strong faith. On her journey she faces the deaths of those she depends on, wild animals, rough mountain men, and Indians from several tribes. Will she make it all the way to Oregon Territory? Can she be dissuaded from her faith in God by the devastations in her life? Will she ever be able to love again?

Brunstetter has researched the time period. She doesn’t fall back on stereotypes for the Quakers, mountain men, or Indians, but portrays them as individuals. This is a Christian book, but it doesn’t play out as a tale where everything works out with magical perfection for the characters who are Christians. They experience internal turmoil and external dangers like nonbelievers, but they have a strong God to rely on during the good times and the bad.

Several times I found myself reading on past my intended stopping place—always a good sign for a book. There are a number of occurrences that I just didn’t predict which keep the book moving at a brisk pace. The characters are well developed and interesting. The various settings are described in detail, appropriate to the action in the book and with language that lets the reader visualize the grandeur of nature. A novel with a Christian theme, it contains history, romance, and action along with thought-provoking concerns about evangelizing other cultures.

I would like to extend my thanks to netgalley.com and to Barbour Publishing (Shiloh Run Press) for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 4/5

Category: Christian, Historical Fiction

Notes: There are discussion questions at the end of the book. My version also contained a novella, Woman of Hope, based on a characters from Woman of Courage. It is a quick, interesting bonus read, and as expected, because of the brevity of the work, does not hold much character development.

Publication:  December 1, 2018— Barbour Publishing (Shiloh Run Press)

Memorable Lines:

Gray Eagle didn’t mind them teaching his people from the Bible, but it wasn’t right that they expected the Nez Percé to give up many of their customs in favor of the white man’s way of doing things.

She remembered her father saying once that it was important to forgive someone who had wronged you, but that forgiving didn’t mean you had to be in a relationship with them. Sometimes it was best to keep a safe distance from the person who had done you wrong.

“…God, who I believe is the same as the Great Spirit we have worshiped for so many years. I believe it was God who kept me alive when I was taken from my people. He got me through times when I didn’t think I would survive, and it was Him who brought me home again.”
Woman of Courage by Wanda E. Brunstetter takes us on a journey to Dansville, New York in 1837.  Amanda Pearson, a young Quaker woman, is excited to marry her fiancé, Nathan Lane the next day.  Then Nathan stops by and tells Amanda that he has fallen in love with another woman and is canceling their wedding.  Amanda decides to join Reverend and Mrs. Spalding on their mission in spreading Christ’s word to the Nez Perce Indians.  Her father is joining her on the long, perilous journey to the Oregon Territory.  Harvey Hanson is their guide for their trek with his knowledge of the wilderness and the various Indian tribes.  In Wyoming Territory, Amanda becomes ill and is rescued by trapper, Buck McFadden.  He takes her to Jim and Mary Breck’s cabin to recover.  Mary becomes Amanda’s friend and the first Indian she converts.  Jim and Buck want nothing to do with Amanda’s religion.  Buck has received terrible treatment from white men who claim to be Christians and prefers his solitary existence.  He is attracted to Amanda and he cannot help but overhear what she shares with Mary about God.  This has been a life altering journey for Amanda and she has yet to reach her final destination.  What does the future hold for Amanda?  Come along for the dangerous expedition in Woman of Courage.

Woman of Courage:  Collector’s Edition Continues the Story of Little Fawn has a beautiful cover.  The book contains Woman of Courage plus the story of Little Fawn, an Indian child that Amanda raises.  I found both stories to be well-written.  The author captured the time period and the hazards of traveling west.  Woman of Courage is different from Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish novels (in a good way).  Amanda is strong, Quaker woman who is intent on sharing Christianity with others especially the Nez Perce Indians.  She lives a Godly life and is an example to others.  Amanda’s journey is difficult and there are fatalities along the way.  Most women would return East when given the opportunity, but Amanda is determined to be a missionary.  The authors descriptions of the scenery, the various types of lodgings, how the people lived on the frontier, the clothing worn, and the people brought the story alive for me.  I could visualize Amanda’s journey.  It was interesting to learn about the herbal medicines utilized during this time period.  People in the west did not have access to a physician and it was important to know the healing properties of the herbs and other floral/fauna in their area.  It also helped them to flavor their dishes and know what to avoid (do not want to poison anyone by adding the wrong type of mushroom to their stew).  The pacing of the story varied.  There were some slow sections, but it did not detract from this inspirational novel.  I could tell the author did her research on the Indians based on her descriptions.  I liked learning about the different tribes, how they lived and their beliefs.  I appreciated that the author gave us Little Fawn’s story.  It is amazing that any woman survived out west during this time period.  Woman of Courage is a realistic story that will keep you reading late into the night.
I have read almost every book published by Mrs Brunstetter.  I liked this book although not Amish.  It is well written and the characters are strong and well developed.  The story is historical and thought provoking.  I learned some new things along the journey and enjoyed the book very much.  I also enjoyed The Little  Fawn story.  Thanks to  netgalley and Barbour publishing for the gift of tge arc.  The review is my honest opinion
It’s not often that you get to step back and read a Wanda book that isn’t based around the Amish. She does historical fiction as well as she does Amish, just in case you weren’t aware. Now, if you have read this book before I need to caution you not to just assume you know it all already. Because. . . It’s been re-released as a Collector’s Edition with additional stuff. Specifically, well spoilers perhaps but play along, the story of Little Fawn has been carried forward. So, you have the original story ‘Woman of Courage’ but you have the bonus content of ‘Woman of Hope’. I’ve read a few fictional accounts of the Spalding Mission. Each on covers a different aspect, a different time period, and provides a different feel. Wanda approached the mission in her signature style, simple in her details and heavy with her faith. It’s something I love about her writing. It may be a simpler style but the faith is never simple.

That being said, I struggled a bit more with this book than I typically do with Wanda books. I almost feel as though it was too simple. I felt like I was missing emotion, engagement, even passion. I heard so much about what Amanda wanted to do and why she wanted to do it (go the Spalding Mission and become a missionary to the Nez Perce tribe, but I didn’t get to feel it. I was told all about it but I didn’t get to see it. Every relationship was like that for me through this book. Jim cut such a striking, almost stereotypical figure in the beginning, and as he morphed and changed I didn’t feel those changes I simply heard about them. Additionally, I feel like Amanda and Little Fawn woke up one day, decided they were going to be missionaries and then went about doing the thing. Little Fawn, more so than Amanda, missed some key elements to how that truly works. It rarely works that you just walk into a new situation, new people, what have you and proclaim the Word of God and everyone falls into line. Amanda had a great understanding, though I think it took her a moment to get there. You can’t beat people with Scripture and they find faith. You lead people to scripture and they find faith. You meet them where they are, with their own understanding, and draw them to the Lord. I think, perhaps, Little Fawn missed a memo. The final thing that truly bonkered me, and it’s more a writing style I strongly do not like and not a problem with the content, is the sound words. Bark, bark, yada, yada, yada. Onomatopeia is a writing style I personally just can’t embrace. It wasn’t everywhere in the book but it was just enough to stick with me. Nuff said.

All that aside, Wanda brings me a book of simple faith. Amanda changed so much as her story progressed, and it was for the good. She may have started out a solid young Quaker woman but along the way she lost so much that she learned how to gain more. She stumbled into her witness and was willing to adjust her mission to the people she was missioning too. It may have been rocky but it was truly life changing. I truly enjoyed this story of finding friendship, sharing faith, and stretching as God leads to true and positive growth. If you enjoy Wanda’s writing style you truly will love this book. If you have previously read ‘Woman of Courage’ this Collectors Edition is definitely worth picking up for the life of Little Fawn. There are some gaps that are filled in as well as another life that has a story to share. It’s worth sharing with her.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Barbour Publishing, NetGalley. I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.
Wow , what a strong and courageous woman! She travels through a hard 3000 miles to fulfill a commitment to serve her Lord. Blizzards, Indians and a trapper who saves her life made an interesting, what is coming next story.. Plenty of action and the descriptions had me feeling the blizzards and seeing the Indians up close and personal!!
The author of today's book, Woman of Courage, is Wanda E. Brunstetter.  I know I've shared this story before, but back in 2015 I met Ms. Brunstetter while she was doing a book signing event at the local Wal-Mart here in Sarasota, Florida.  At that time, I was able to get my mother, Gloria an autographed copy of one of her favorite Amish books.  Of course, ever since that meeting in 2015 when the opportunity arises to read and review one of Ms. Brunstetter's books, I jump on it because my mother LOVES Amish stories.

Gloria recently told me about this book and said she really wanted to read it. When I saw the book available on NetGalley through my blogging relationship with them, I requested it and was approved.  Unfortunately, Gloria recently had eye surgery and was unable to read this book after all so here are my thoughts:

The first thing I'll say is that this book is a little different than Ms. Brunstetter's Amish books (and her cookbooks).  The main character of this book is Amanda Pearson, a Quaker woman with a deep faith learned from her father who was a preacher.

The next thing I'll say is this: I’ve learned that Woman of Courage had already been written and published in 2014, but what I recently had the opportunity to read is a Collector’s Edition so there is an added story at the end entitled The Story of Little Fawn. Both stories are delightful historical reads.

In Woman of Courage, the year is 1837 and Amanda Pearson is jilted by her fiance, for her best friend. She decides to join family friends, Reverand and Mrs. Spalding as a missionary to the Nez Perce' Indians at a Indian reservation in Oregon. Amanda promises her father that she would bring the Bible and Jesus to these Indian people.  The trip is three thousand miles on horseback and Amanda's preacher father plans to escort his daughter from New York to the Indian reservation.

Before arriving, Amanda, her traveling mates, her father and a trail guide go through many dangerous risks including death leaving Amanda on her own to navigate the journey. She is determined to continue but becomes very ill until she is rescued by an Indian woman married to a white man. Despite coming from different religions, Amanda and the Indian woman are able to communicate, the Indian woman using just enough English to get by.

I can't say too much without giving away this unique story by Wanda E. Brunstetter. I'll be honest too, I'm so used to Ms. Brunstetter's Amish fiction that I kept looking for Amish to show-up throughout this book.  Spoiler:  That doesn't happen.  Despite the lack of any Amish folk, this story is well developed, the characters are well-written and overall it was very believable.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Barbour Publishing through NetGalley. I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review but chose to since it was a great book! Thank you!
I am usually a big fan of Wanda Brunstetter. I have read many of her books about the Amish. While this book received many excellent reviews by other reviewers, it really fell flat for me. I tried to engage in the story, which I feel was historically accurate. However, I could not get interested in the characters. I would have liked more information about Amanda, other than her Quaker heritage and that she suffered from a broken engagement. I felt that the language was somewhat pompous at times, and the plot did not move along well for me.

I received this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
This is an excellent book. It is more intense and descriptive than many of the author's Amish books. There are actually two women of courage in the book in my mind. Amanda is the main character, a woman of the Quaker faith who is immediately thrust into one challenge after another. She is to draw upon her faith in God in trying and heartbreaking circumstances. Yellow Bird is a young Native American who has had harrowing experience of her own. I really liked these two women who although very different, built a bond and strong friendship as the story progresses. Characters are well developed. Buck and James are two mountain men who have let the last rule their present. It was hard to find redeeming qualities in James as he was altered by bitterness at the loss of his new wife. Buck is death against Christianity because it introduced abuse into his early  years. These four characters are at the forefront as they struggle through while Amanda is on a thoroughly life changing journey.

Wanda Brunstetter has given us a new series that is intense, rich with information about a time period when the 'white man' has stepped out into the beautiful and wild country that the natives know and revere. I learned new things as I read along through a plot that is magnetic and thought provoking.

My thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for this interesting book. I look forward to the continuation of the series.
I had wanted to read this book by Wanda Brunstetter, A Woman of Courage, and was excited to see it appear on the NetGalley list of options. Thank you for the chance to read and review what turned out to be a good story with a lot of interesting information about history and the Native American people.
The story follows Amanda, recently broken-hearted after her fiance leaves her the night before their wedding for her best friend. She decides to leave her comfortable home in New York and head west to help teach the Indians about Jesus. Her father accompanies her and along the way, his passing is the first of many challenges she must face. She loses her guide during a storm, gets severely ill, and finds that danger lurks in many forms in the west. Through it all, we see her learn to lean on God in every situation, a lesson for each of us. As she journeys, she meets Mary Yellow Bird and her husband Jim, as well as Buck, a mountain man. She strives to lead them to Jesus and, as her feelings for Buck grow stronger, she must fight her attraction to him. Throw in an abandoned baby, Little Fawn, and the story really grabs you.  I really enjoyed reading about her journey and how she made her way to the Spalding Mission, where she finally got to work with the Indian Children.
As a bonus story, A Woman of Hope is included at the end and it is the story of Little Fawn. This was a short story but I liked it too.
I especially liked the tidbits of information included about Indian life in those times and what life was like on the trail for so many. I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys historical fiction.
I received a free copy of the story from NetGalley for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
While I am normally a fan of Ms. Brunstetter's work, this was a definite miss for me! The language seemed pretentious, despite it's authenticity to the times, especially since Amanda had been asked several times to leave it off! I had a hard time believing the plot overall, but most especially in the spiritual conversions that happened over the course of the story, possibly because I found the plot so dry and boring! The characterization felt flat to me, and I couldn't really engage with the characters, or bring myself to care about them over the long term. Other reviewers have suggested better stories instead of this one, so I think I'll be seeking those out instead.
When you read this book you feel like your in it. This book is a good page turner.  also enjoyed Little Fawns story.  She reminds me of me a lot! Now that I'm older Im still learning to let God be in control not myself.  My mom always said that patience is a virtue. I'm still not so good at it and it gets me into trouble sometimes.
I loved reading this book. Wanda has the ability to enable the reader to be right there in the thick of the experience.  Conveying the grief, the shock and  the warmth that Amanda experiences as she treks towards the Mission Station where she wants to serve the Lord and teach the Indians of His love.  Woman of Courage is quite different to any other book that I've read of Wanda's. Within the pages of this book Wanda brings to life some of the Quaker's ways and introduces a few of the Red Indian tribes within America and their differences.. The added sequel brings home the truth that so often plays out in the lives of families today.Parents often try to protect their  loved ones from mistakes they themselves had made, only to find that unfortunately their children also seem to learn by making these similiar errors.
Amanda Pearson is a Quaker woman of deep faith taught to her by her preacher father. When her fiance breaks off their engagement, she and her father decide to leave New York. They sell their home and belongings and head west to become missionaries. Their goal is to bring God to the native people. The journey is perilous and both her father and guide die leaving her along to try and find the way to the fort. She becomes deathly ill and is rescued by an Indian Woman. It turns out that she is married to a white man and speaks enough English to communicate. Amanda and Mary (Yellow Feather) become friends and Mary becomes Amanda's fist Christian.

This story is very well written. There are many adventures, trials and tribulations that Amanda goes through. We learn about various tribes and some of their customs. We find out about kidnappings, slavery and relationships between the tribes. Through flashbacks, we find out how Mary ended up married to a white man and what happened in her past. Amanda was very courageous and true to her faith and beliefs. She was also a sweet and caring woman. I also felt sorry for her with all that she went though. It seemed like so many things went wrong, but with her prayers, the Lord was there protecting her and brought her through many situations. I do not want to tell you more about the actual story as it is very interesting to uncover as you read this tale. This was The Collector's Edition of the story and also contained a short story about "Little Fawn" and what happens to her as the story continues. It gave some closure to some aspects of the story. A very enjoyable Historical Fiction book with a Christian plotline. The publisher, Barbour Publishing, Incorporated, generously provided me with a copy of this book to read. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
“I am a woman of faith who is trusting in the Lord to give her courage.”

“Woman of Courage” has been on my reading list for a few years now, and I am glad that I was able to read this collector’s edition, which includes the sequel novella “Woman of Hope.” Expecting “Woman of Courage” to be a travel novel and an Oregon Trail-like experience, I was surprised to discover that it fell more into the genre of wilderness survival and mountain living. Traveling was still a part of the tale, but most of the narrative was focused on the characters’ experiences and interactions with each other rather than on the trek itself. Fraught with omnipresent danger, this story did not have any lulls or tedious sections and proved to be a quick read, even taking into consideration the appended novella. The situations seemed realistic and not contrived, and there were several twists that I did not expect, which I always appreciate. Amanda, the eponymous heroine, was a sweet character, and I would have liked to have more of her background; other than being unerringly Christian and using quaint language (“thee” and “thou”), there were no other indications that she was a Quaker. It would have been worthwhile to add more information about this particular religious group to the story, in my opinion. However, I did appreciate the author’s use of Native American and mixed-race characters.

Despite very much enjoying this story, there were a few points with which I had issues, and I wavered between a four and a five-star rating. Some of the language and slang used in the narrative was not period-appropriate, and several of the characters were stereotypical, including Amanda. She was too perfect and therefore did not seem to grow or change throughout the course of the story, whereas Jim Breck’s attitudes and place in the story shifted too quickly. Yellow Bird and Buck McFadden were my favorite characters, as they were the most dynamic and realistic, given their pasts and what became of them. Because Amanda was a missionary, the Christian underpinning of the novel did come across as preachy, but not overbearingly so. Amanda’s story dovetailed well into that of Little Fawn’s in “Woman of Hope”, and this novella is what ultimately bumped up my rating. Little Fawn’s story was not as idealistic and yet it was still hopeful and inspiring. Amanda’s character was also more realistic, and all of the characters’ actions were credible. The story was well written for its short length, as well, and it did not seem like it was too abrupt. Being able to see how circumstances changed for the characters from “Woman of Courage” in the approximately seventeen-year time gap and being introduced to the next generation of characters was a fitting way to end the saga.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.