Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

I just finished this book and I loved it. Wanda Brunstetter is one of my favorite authors. This book was a bit different than the other books I have read by her, but it was just as enjoyable to read as the others. It was encouraging to see how Amanda was able to become a stronger woman after her father’s death. The trials she faced as she continued her journey towards the missionary vision that she had even after her father died. I felt as though I was on that journey with her. The friends she met on the way and how the friendship continued on and they became “family.” I would highly recommend anyone to read this book and I know I will be reading it again. Wanda is a wonderful writer. I look forward to reading her other books as well.
Woman of Courage: Collector's Edition Continues the Story of Little Fawn by Wanda E. Brunstetter was an interesting story. It is not your typical Amish story by Brunstetter , but about a young Quaker woman and her father. This is a story about bravery, faith , and trust. A young Quaker woman after being jilted by her finance decides to go on a very long journey in the Oregon territory to bring the Indians to Christ. A historical romance set in 1837 Oregon Territory. She was a very brave young woman to travel and deal with the many obstacles along the way.

This story is very well written. There are many adventures, trials and tribulations that Amanda goes through. We learn about various tribes and some of their customs. We find out about kidnappings, slavery and relationships between the tribes. Through flashbacks, we find out how Mary ended up married to a white man and what happened in her past. Amanda was very courageous and true to her faith and beliefs. She was also a sweet and caring woman. I also felt sorry for her with all that she went though. It seemed like so many things went wrong, but with her prayers, the Lord was there protecting her and brought her through many situations.

I received a digital ARC from Shiloh Run Press and Barbour Publishing, Inc. via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I have been a fan of this author for several years so I’m always happy to have the opportunity to read anything she writes. Yes, I’m more familiar with her Amish fiction books and cookbooks but this book is the quintessential story of Quaker missionaries traveling across country to share the word of God with the Nez Perce Indians.

It’s definitely not an easy undertaking with danger facing the travelers along the way. Amanda Pearson faces unimaginable hardships with the death of her beloved father and then the death of her trail guide. Amanda made a promise to her father that she would carry on with the mission work so she traveled across the wilderness on her own. My goodness ,she had a rough time as she falls ill and is mercifully taken care of by an Indian woman named Mary. Of course there is a language barrier between Amanda and Mary which was authentic and made the story interesting to me.

There were several characters that I liked but my favorite is Amanda because no matter what happened to her she remained steadfast in her faith and most importantly she was determined to keep the promise she made to her father. I admired her for never wanting to settle for less than she expected in a mate even if it meant remaining single and raising a little girl she rescued from an almost certain death. I loved that she knew she would not really be on her own with the child because of her strong faith.

I loved how the characters come full circle at the end of this well written historical novel and would like to read more of this genre from Ms. Brunstetter.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher and was under no obligation to write a review. All opinions are my own.
Her faith in God is strong. He doesn't want anything to do with any kind of God. Life in the west is treacherous and will easily kill a person. God gives her the strength to be a Woman of Courage. Can she convince him to believe in God. What obstacles will be in their way?

Amanda Pearson just learned about the betrayal of her fiance the night before their wedding. Not wanting to stay in New York she and her father make plans to head to a missionary settlement in Oregon. They've met up with their guide and are headed west. Amanda us worried about her father's health and he confesses that the doctor back home said he had a heart problem. He then dies making her promise to continue the journey to Oregon because that is her destiny. Amanda and the guide continue on and come across a violent thunderstorm a few days later. When a tree falls and kills the guide Amanda is left to head west alone. She starts dressing in her father's clothes and becomes ill. Two bear cubs destroy her supplies and camp. She's injured and sick and unconscious when Buck McFadden a mountain man & trapper comes across her. He takes her to his best friend's house because his Indian wife knows healing. Mary (Yellow Bird) treats her but her husband doesn't like the idea very well. He's still grieving his first wife. As Amanda heals and pitches in Jim comes around and lets her stay longer than intended. Amanda is trying to bring them to God. She's having some success with Mary and Jim but not Buck. Mary pregnant gives birth which really changes Jim's attitude for the better. Buck begins coming around. On a hunting trip he's attacked by a bear and Jim finds him and helps him to recover. Buck and Amanda start having feelings for each other but she won't be with someone who can't believe in God. A visitor to the cabin when the women are alone with the baby causes trouble and Buck saves the day. Neither man wants to take Amanda to the mission in Oregon. A
trip to a rendezvous takes the whole group on a journey. Jim, Mary, the baby and Amanda head out. Jim realizes he'll take Mary to visit her family who live near the mission and tell her he loves her. Before they get to far Jim dies from snake bites and the women must travel on alone. They run into their visitor at the rendezvous and Buck comes to their rescue again. An altercation with the man results in his death. Buck agrees to take them to Oregon and along the way the run into a band of Indians. Amanda is recovering from being ill after traveling through a storm. When an Indian woman gives birth to twins Amanda is appalled by the fact that one baby will be left in the woods to die. After parting from the Indians she goes searching and finds the baby and adopts her as her own. As they travel west Buck and Amanda realize they're falling in love with each other. They realize that they can't be together because he won't accept God and she can't be with some one who won't turn to God. They come across Gray Eagle who Mary thought was dead. They rekindle the love they had years ago. The four of them travel to the mission. Buck starts to return back to the mountains only to realize that he can't and needs to be near Amanda. When he's injured traveling back and is found by Gray Eagle and a friend they take him to the medicine woman who happens to be his mother he thought was dead. She helps him deal with his past and he turns to God. Before he can declare himself to Amanda her ex-fiance shows up wanting to get back together. An incident shows the ex-fiance's true personality. Buck and Amanda declare their feelings and get marries and raise her daughter. Yellow Bird marries Gray Eagle and they raise her son together.

There is the bonus sequel story of Amanda's daughter Little Fawn and Yellow Bird's son Little Wolf called a Woman of Hope. Wanda E. Brunstetter writes a compelling look at life in the early1800s America and the trials and courage it takes to take a three thousand mile journey and the changes and challenges along the way. That God guides those that believe and have unwavering faith and a little stubbornness as well.
Loved this story. A wonderful historical novel. The characters were amazing and the description of the journey West was phenomenal. The narrator really brought the story to life. I hope this is going to be a series.
A departure from the author's normal writing of Amish romance, this book was kind of refreshing.  This storyline was about a Quaker woman who was embarrassed and disgraced as the result of an engagement that was called off.  She goes off to the mission field and encounters many dangers.  Very good book even though it was a very different storyline than Brunstetter usually writes.
Women of Courage
by Wanda E. Brunstetter

“Women of Courage” is a gripping tale of a young Quaker woman’s strength, during her journey in to woman-hood; which keeps the readers on the edge of their seat. A journey that is filled with a great many different and difficult circumstances; from a heartbreak, sorrow, and alone. With only her strong faith and courage to guild her on her voyage from New York to Oregon Territory. Her plans are to teach others to read the bible and tries to convert everyone she meets. Her strength and determination grew throughout the story, helping her to make an important decision. It takes all her faith, to have the courage in achieving her task among those who are reluctant to hear.

New York Best-Selling Wanda Brunstetter has once again opened our eyes to the past and allowing us to travel there. The reader has an easy conclusion of a happy endings, which is expected in a story such as this. For me, the experience was so exciting that I read the book twice. Thank you for the gift and privilege of reading this book, in exchange for my thoughts. I highly recommend this book and giving the book 4-star rating.
I truly enjoyed the ARC of Women of Courage, it was a change of pace from other books by Wanda E. Brunstetter.    As in all of her writings, she places deep thoughts into the path that life takes one within the community that each character arrives.   The best part being a cozy read with an extra gem to enjoy of Little Fern.  Thank you Netgally.
Wanda Brunstetter has another great story in Woman of Courage. This was not her typical book as it was based on the Quaker lifestyle. I did love the plot with all its twist and turns. The heroine was sweet and courageous.
It was refreshing to have a back story where the reader could see why a certain character is that way because of what happened in the past and then eventually seeing God coming and changing the scene altogether.
I was given a complimentary copy of this book from netgalley.com and the publisher, but was not obligated to give a positive review. All opinions are my own.
Collector’s Edition Continues the Story of Little Fawn

Barbour Publishing, Inc.

Shiloh Run Press

Christian , Historical Fiction

Pub Date 01 Dec 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Woman of Courage through Barbour Publishing, Inc/Shiloh Run Press and Netgalley:

This book will take us back to the 1830’s and on a three thousand mile journey with Amanda Pearson as she leaves the disgrace of her broken engagement as she decides to joins the works of a Quaker mission in the western wilds. The trip is full of dangers, leaving Amanda near death before reaching her destination.

Among the people Amanda meets is an Indian woman who becomes her first convert and a half Indian Trapper who is seemingly her worst critic.

Love ends up following her into the wilderness and will determine the course of her future.

Included in this edition is Woman of Hope is Little Fawn’s story raised as an orphan by a living white couple, Little Fawn always felt like something was missing from her life. She longs to take the news of Jesus to the Nez Perce Indians but despite being a missionary herself Little Fawn’s Mother forbids it.

I give Woman of Courage five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s quite an eye opener into the life that many missionaries lived years ago as they traveled the wilderness sharing God’s love to the indigenous people. I look forward to reading more in this new series.
Woman of Courage is a historical fiction novel by author Wanda E Brunstetter. I read an ARC of this novel, the publish date was December 1, 2018. (I am a bit late reading it).

My favorite character was 22-year-old Amanda Pearson, whose mother died giving birth to her. Amanda wanted to keep her promise to her dad and go to Oregon Territory to share the Word of God with the Nez Perce’ Indians.

It humored me that no matter how many times Harvey Hanson asked Amanda to say you instead of thou or thee she just couldn’t help herself. Harvey wanted her to talk like a normal person so he could understand her. One day after lightning struck, killing both Harvey and his horse, Amanda was alone in the wilderness on the way to Oregon Territory.

My favorite quote is a prayer, “Dear God, please give me the strength and courage I need for this day. Be with me and calm my anxious heart as I continue this journey.” (p. 45 – this quote may not be in the published version).

The author did an exceptional job writing about the everyday challenges of living in the wilderness along the Oregon Trail. The plan of salvation is explained by the Bible (Romans 10:9).

Even though this novel has close to 400 pages it is fast-paced and kept me reading throughout the day. Did this novel meet my expectations? As much as I enjoyed the novel I was disturbed that the question of whether the Indian’s Great Spirit was the same as God kept coming up. I do not believe that the Great Spirit is the same as God. Once it was mentioned to the Indians that now that they are Christians they need to refer to God as God and not Great Spirit. As a whole, I enjoyed the novel.

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from various sources, including, publishers, publicists, authors, and/or NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review and have not received any compensation. The opinions shared here are my own entirely. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
Despite what I felt was uninspired writing, this tale did become readable due to its character development later in the novel. As a Quaker, Amanda Pearson seems to feel the need to travel to the western wilderness of America, perhaps to help convert others to her Christian faith, encountering unimaginable terrors on the way. Rescued by a native woman in a remote cabin, she starts to become aware of other lifestyles than hers, and perhaps will find a partner eventually.
Wanda Brunstetter did it again!  I can't wait to read any of her books.

This story was about Amanda and her determination to reach her destination.  Amanda was on a journey of discovery.  She was on a mission.

The book was titled Woman of Courage.  Amanda, her friend - Yellow Bird and Little Fawn were women of courage.  Their courage came from God.

Joshua 1:9 English Standard Version (ESV)

9 Have I not commanded you? A)" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; top: 0px; vertical-align: top;">Be strong and courageous. B)" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; top: 0px; vertical-align: top;">Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Their faith gave them strength.  Their strength gave them courage. Their courage gave them the ability to continue their journey through difficulties and sadness.

I loved the book.  This edition was a Collector's Edition as it continues the story of Little Fawn.  I want to read more about Little Fawn and her journey.

Thank you, Wanda Brunstetter, for another treat.  I finished this book on a cold, brisk day. The temperature might be -4 outside but my heart is warm with the message  it gave  to me!
As a longtime fan of Wanda Brustetter, I was so happy to see a new book by her!  Generally her books are about the Amish, but in this one, the main character is Quaker.
The year is 1837 and Amanda Pearson thinks her life is all planned out.  The eve before her wedding, her betrothed comes to her house to break off their engagement.  It seems he has been seeing, and fallen in love with Amanda's best friend.
Heartbroken and wanting a new start, she and her father leave New York to help missionary friends minister to the Nez' Perce Indians.  The journey is hard and very long.  They have hired a guide to take them there.  It is a very difficult journey and her father passes away on the trail.  Amanda has a love for the Lord and feels the urge to teach the Indians at the mission about Him.  She convinces the guide to continue travels.  Amanda discovers that she is stronger and tougher than she thought.
There are several characters in this story and the author did a wonderful job of making them all come alive!  Wonderful writing and imagination went into this story!
I also loved the addition at the end (in fact, I almost missed it) with Little Fawn's story.  It would have been a shame to have missed out on that.  She has the faith and determination of her adoptive mother.  That's all I'm going to say about that so as not to spoil the story for those who haven't yet read it.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley and Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.

by Wanda E. Brunstetter

Author Wanda E. Brunstetter is best known for her fiction books about the Amish. In Woman of Courage, she departs from that focus to write a work of historical fiction whose main character is a Quaker. Amanda Pearson, rejected by her fiancé in New York in 1837, decides to move across the continent to join a missionary couple ministering to the Nez Percé Indians in the Oregon Territory. The first part of her journey is by steamboats and then wagon. At Fort Laramie, she and her father meet up with the guide who is hired to take them the rest of the way by horseback.

Amanda is unprepared for the adventures to come, but she proves to be resilient, courageous, and of strong faith. On her journey she faces the deaths of those she depends on, wild animals, rough mountain men, and Indians from several tribes. Will she make it all the way to Oregon Territory? Can she be dissuaded from her faith in God by the devastations in her life? Will she ever be able to love again?

Brunstetter has researched the time period. She doesn’t fall back on stereotypes for the Quakers, mountain men, or Indians, but portrays them as individuals. This is a Christian book, but it doesn’t play out as a tale where everything works out with magical perfection for the characters who are Christians. They experience internal turmoil and external dangers like nonbelievers, but they have a strong God to rely on during the good times and the bad.

Several times I found myself reading on past my intended stopping place—always a good sign for a book. There are a number of occurrences that I just didn’t predict which keep the book moving at a brisk pace. The characters are well developed and interesting. The various settings are described in detail, appropriate to the action in the book and with language that lets the reader visualize the grandeur of nature. A novel with a Christian theme, it contains history, romance, and action along with thought-provoking concerns about evangelizing other cultures.

I would like to extend my thanks to netgalley.com and to Barbour Publishing (Shiloh Run Press) for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 4/5

Category: Christian, Historical Fiction

Notes: There are discussion questions at the end of the book. My version also contained a novella, Woman of Hope, based on a characters from Woman of Courage. It is a quick, interesting bonus read, and as expected, because of the brevity of the work, does not hold much character development.

Publication:  December 1, 2018— Barbour Publishing (Shiloh Run Press)

Memorable Lines:

Gray Eagle didn’t mind them teaching his people from the Bible, but it wasn’t right that they expected the Nez Percé to give up many of their customs in favor of the white man’s way of doing things.

She remembered her father saying once that it was important to forgive someone who had wronged you, but that forgiving didn’t mean you had to be in a relationship with them. Sometimes it was best to keep a safe distance from the person who had done you wrong.

“…God, who I believe is the same as the Great Spirit we have worshiped for so many years. I believe it was God who kept me alive when I was taken from my people. He got me through times when I didn’t think I would survive, and it was Him who brought me home again.”
Woman of Courage by Wanda E. Brunstetter takes us on a journey to Dansville, New York in 1837.  Amanda Pearson, a young Quaker woman, is excited to marry her fiancé, Nathan Lane the next day.  Then Nathan stops by and tells Amanda that he has fallen in love with another woman and is canceling their wedding.  Amanda decides to join Reverend and Mrs. Spalding on their mission in spreading Christ’s word to the Nez Perce Indians.  Her father is joining her on the long, perilous journey to the Oregon Territory.  Harvey Hanson is their guide for their trek with his knowledge of the wilderness and the various Indian tribes.  In Wyoming Territory, Amanda becomes ill and is rescued by trapper, Buck McFadden.  He takes her to Jim and Mary Breck’s cabin to recover.  Mary becomes Amanda’s friend and the first Indian she converts.  Jim and Buck want nothing to do with Amanda’s religion.  Buck has received terrible treatment from white men who claim to be Christians and prefers his solitary existence.  He is attracted to Amanda and he cannot help but overhear what she shares with Mary about God.  This has been a life altering journey for Amanda and she has yet to reach her final destination.  What does the future hold for Amanda?  Come along for the dangerous expedition in Woman of Courage.

Woman of Courage:  Collector’s Edition Continues the Story of Little Fawn has a beautiful cover.  The book contains Woman of Courage plus the story of Little Fawn, an Indian child that Amanda raises.  I found both stories to be well-written.  The author captured the time period and the hazards of traveling west.  Woman of Courage is different from Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish novels (in a good way).  Amanda is strong, Quaker woman who is intent on sharing Christianity with others especially the Nez Perce Indians.  She lives a Godly life and is an example to others.  Amanda’s journey is difficult and there are fatalities along the way.  Most women would return East when given the opportunity, but Amanda is determined to be a missionary.  The authors descriptions of the scenery, the various types of lodgings, how the people lived on the frontier, the clothing worn, and the people brought the story alive for me.  I could visualize Amanda’s journey.  It was interesting to learn about the herbal medicines utilized during this time period.  People in the west did not have access to a physician and it was important to know the healing properties of the herbs and other floral/fauna in their area.  It also helped them to flavor their dishes and know what to avoid (do not want to poison anyone by adding the wrong type of mushroom to their stew).  The pacing of the story varied.  There were some slow sections, but it did not detract from this inspirational novel.  I could tell the author did her research on the Indians based on her descriptions.  I liked learning about the different tribes, how they lived and their beliefs.  I appreciated that the author gave us Little Fawn’s story.  It is amazing that any woman survived out west during this time period.  Woman of Courage is a realistic story that will keep you reading late into the night.
I have read almost every book published by Mrs Brunstetter.  I liked this book although not Amish.  It is well written and the characters are strong and well developed.  The story is historical and thought provoking.  I learned some new things along the journey and enjoyed the book very much.  I also enjoyed The Little  Fawn story.  Thanks to  netgalley and Barbour publishing for the gift of tge arc.  The review is my honest opinion
It’s not often that you get to step back and read a Wanda book that isn’t based around the Amish. She does historical fiction as well as she does Amish, just in case you weren’t aware. Now, if you have read this book before I need to caution you not to just assume you know it all already. Because. . . It’s been re-released as a Collector’s Edition with additional stuff. Specifically, well spoilers perhaps but play along, the story of Little Fawn has been carried forward. So, you have the original story ‘Woman of Courage’ but you have the bonus content of ‘Woman of Hope’. I’ve read a few fictional accounts of the Spalding Mission. Each on covers a different aspect, a different time period, and provides a different feel. Wanda approached the mission in her signature style, simple in her details and heavy with her faith. It’s something I love about her writing. It may be a simpler style but the faith is never simple.

That being said, I struggled a bit more with this book than I typically do with Wanda books. I almost feel as though it was too simple. I felt like I was missing emotion, engagement, even passion. I heard so much about what Amanda wanted to do and why she wanted to do it (go the Spalding Mission and become a missionary to the Nez Perce tribe, but I didn’t get to feel it. I was told all about it but I didn’t get to see it. Every relationship was like that for me through this book. Jim cut such a striking, almost stereotypical figure in the beginning, and as he morphed and changed I didn’t feel those changes I simply heard about them. Additionally, I feel like Amanda and Little Fawn woke up one day, decided they were going to be missionaries and then went about doing the thing. Little Fawn, more so than Amanda, missed some key elements to how that truly works. It rarely works that you just walk into a new situation, new people, what have you and proclaim the Word of God and everyone falls into line. Amanda had a great understanding, though I think it took her a moment to get there. You can’t beat people with Scripture and they find faith. You lead people to scripture and they find faith. You meet them where they are, with their own understanding, and draw them to the Lord. I think, perhaps, Little Fawn missed a memo. The final thing that truly bonkered me, and it’s more a writing style I strongly do not like and not a problem with the content, is the sound words. Bark, bark, yada, yada, yada. Onomatopeia is a writing style I personally just can’t embrace. It wasn’t everywhere in the book but it was just enough to stick with me. Nuff said.

All that aside, Wanda brings me a book of simple faith. Amanda changed so much as her story progressed, and it was for the good. She may have started out a solid young Quaker woman but along the way she lost so much that she learned how to gain more. She stumbled into her witness and was willing to adjust her mission to the people she was missioning too. It may have been rocky but it was truly life changing. I truly enjoyed this story of finding friendship, sharing faith, and stretching as God leads to true and positive growth. If you enjoy Wanda’s writing style you truly will love this book. If you have previously read ‘Woman of Courage’ this Collectors Edition is definitely worth picking up for the life of Little Fawn. There are some gaps that are filled in as well as another life that has a story to share. It’s worth sharing with her.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Barbour Publishing, NetGalley. I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.
Wow , what a strong and courageous woman! She travels through a hard 3000 miles to fulfill a commitment to serve her Lord. Blizzards, Indians and a trapper who saves her life made an interesting, what is coming next story.. Plenty of action and the descriptions had me feeling the blizzards and seeing the Indians up close and personal!!