Poached

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

I would probably tune out if this was a drier book on the subject, so I definitely appreciated Love’s funny, self-deprecating and low-key tone. While not a substitute for academic works on the subject, it’s a great collection of interlinked articles for those who aren’t anywhere near experts on animal conservation but are willing to give time and attention to a read on the subject. I was thoroughly entertained, absolutely devastated and ultimately left mildly hopeful by the narrative. I think that the biggest challenge in dealing with such subject matter for a white woman from Brooklyn is to maintain an appropriate tone throughout while also portraying someone in China who shows her their rhino horn, or the workers of a Vietnamese restaurant who slaughter pangolins and civets without being imperialist and racist. I think that Love does a pretty great job with it, and I admire the way she navigated very complex issues—such as dealing with people directly responsible for the suffering of animals—without the usual hubris of a Westerner accusing someone of eating dog meat or hunting lions. I love animals, and I’m sad about the state of things, but I was very thankful to Love that I could read this book without feeling sermonized. This is true journalistic integrity: to show without preaching. I hope to read more from Love in the future on this subject, and others.
Smart, passionate, informative, unbiased. From the eyes of an animal lover, several in-depth interviews and a lot of research went to finding and speaking to a variety of relentless poachers, many of whom may ultimately be the exstinction of such species as the charming pangolin, most who have little or no regret, yet their motives to provide a life for their families, while not excusable of their crimes, render them somewhat understandable. If the death of an animal can feed your entire family for a year, it’s difficult not to try and justify it, yet these poachers are driving so many beautiful species out of existence. Their are some accounts of bizarre cruelty and greed that will leave you shaking your head, but none the less you walk away wiser.
Poached is a very detailed look into the world of poaching. Rachel Love Nuwer travels to parts of the world where poaching is most dominant and gets an inside look at it through research and interviews. It's informative and eye-opening.
Despite the manner in which the author handled much of her 'research' (lackadaisical, happy-go-lucky, irresponsible methods, to downright cringeworthy, apart from her lack of objectivity, lack of proper subjects / users of animal products and lack of right questions with the ones she does get around to), it is a good book.

Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.
I feel like this book didn't pick up for me until she started talking about the smuggling trade. I'm not entirely sure why, other than the fact that she repeats herself often and has a writing style that didn't really jive with my reading style.

It is a slightly depressing book once you realize how many animals have been killed and how corrupt a lot of the people involved in either saving them or prosecuting the poachers.

I received a free copy of this book for a fair review, all opinions are my own.
Interesting subject but I felt as if I was on a scavenger hurt that changed by the minute.  Tedious read.
"Poached: Inside the Dark World of Wildlife Trafficking" by Rachel Love Nuwer is exactly what it sounds like. A book mainly focusing on the elephant, rhino, bear and tiger aspects of it, the author first goes to places like Vietnam, Africa, and China, to speak to not only animal hunters, but also wildlife ranger in the area's to really see what's going on. There are a few pictures scattered throughout the book, and it's really an eye opening journey. I think everyone should read this book.

This book wants to help save wildlife and spread the word about what's really going on, and that's exactly what it does. I feel like I've learned so much, like animal trafficking is a billion dollar industry and is ranked just behind drugs, guns, and human trafficking. Globally, there are less than 30,000 rhinos in total, and there are less than 4000 tigers in the wild but many more in farms. Pangolins have quickly become the world's most trafficked animal, with a million dead over the last ten years.

Not only does the author know a lot about the subject, but she also traveled to learn more about it, so that everyone who reads this book could also know more about it. Some topics the book touches on are the wealth in some regions that may have an impact on this, the places animals like these have ended up after being saved, countries with wild meat illegal but still restaurants that serve them, animal farms versus non profit animal sanctuaries.

Overall if you pick up this book, be prepared to read about some sad things. Just know that it doesn't have to be like this. There are good pictures, and a happy ending. The only thing is, if we don't do anything about these problems then they'll just keep getting worse. I learned about animals that are close to extinction, ones that are working to come back, and which ones are gone already. I'm really glad I got the chance to check it out, and you should if you get the chance. Even if you're not into books that aren't fiction, I think everyone should know about topics like these and I'm glad this book came out.

Thanks for reading!
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com)
5 stars

“An intrepid investigation of the criminal world of wildlife trafficking-- the poachers, the traders, and the customers and of those fighting against it. Journalist Rachel Nuwer plunges the reader into the underground of global wildlife trafficking, a topic she has been investigating for nearly a decade. “

Enlightening, educational, enraging and emotional. Poached pushed a number of emotional buttons in me. I am just having a hard time dealing with the injustice of losing so many animal lives and species to poachers. I do not care about the “reasoning” people give for poaching. It is just plain wrong. I seldom have such an emotional response to a book. I truly appreciate the work it took to research and write this book.

This is one of those books that will touch the heart of anyone who reads it. I truly believe Poached should be mandatory reading for high school and college students across the globe. The author has done an astonishing job of showing every aspect of the “poaching trade”. Every student or for that matter; person who reads this book will be changed and educated by the stories within it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. The views given are my own.
#NetGalley #Poached